Team updates | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Team updates

Reaction Score
Love the way he's shooting off the dribble, and while moving laterally. I think he'll start at SG before Christmas.

I really love the length and athleticism of this lineup.
Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok
Carlton
I like this starting 5... A LOT.. but I think Wilson will be 6th man.. Polley will get the nod ahead of him...

Reaction Score
No way is Vital not starting at the 2.

Rique/Gaffney
Vital/Adams
Bouk/Sid
Polley/Akok
Carlton/Manuel (hopefully)/ Whaley

That's my depth chart. The 3 and 4 are interchangable, IMO. ESPECIALLY the 4. We are a much better team when Akok overtakes Polley for minutes.

And of course 3 guard lineups, going big, matchups, etc change all of this frequently.

Reaction Score
Geesh, a lot of guys write off CV. Put him in a fluid offense that has multiple options and I think you find him to be pretty effective.

It all comes down to accepting his role. CV can be an championship level efficient 3 and D guy. Or, he can try to be a combo guard and be an average player that he has been most of his UConn career

Reaction Score
Love the way he's shooting off the dribble, and while moving laterally. I think he'll start at SG before Christmas.

I really love the length and athleticism of this lineup.
Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok
Carlton
Shooting in that quintet is the big issue. Athleticism is through the roof but if teams can pack it in on you they can negate that somewhat.
Don’t give up on Polley,CV,or even Adams.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Excited about Bouknight. Love how he has developed practice habits of scoring with pressure on him. He might be a surprise problem for opponents. This upcoming season:

Richie Springs in the Uconn tee. Love to see it.

Will be nice to have a player who takes good shots. Our shot selection as a whole has been atrocious for some time now. It’s like our kids went out of their way to take difficult contested off balanced shots. Super annoying(unless we were hitting them of course).

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That video of bouk is great for my unrealistic enthusiasm about freshmen. Hitting 3s off the dribble is hard, no matter if it's a game, or workout situation. His combination of shooting and size/athleticism is going to be exciting to watch.

Reaction Score
Hurley doesn’t readily give starting roles to freshmen from day 1, usually preferring to work them in over the season, but Bouknight could be an exception, like Jared Terrell was at URI.

The goal is for Whaley to play at 225. With a late addition, the front court is serviceable. We know the guards are the strength of this team right now, which is often the case when a team needs to rebuild the talent base.

Reaction Score
Hurley doesn’t readily give starting roles to freshmen from day 1, usually preferring to work them in over the season, but Bouknight could be an exception, like Jared Terrell was at URI.

The goal is for Whaley to play at 225. With a late addition, the front court is serviceable. We know the guards are the strength of this team right now, which is often the case when a team needs to rebuild the talent base.
Jarvis Garrett, EC Matthews, and Hassan Martin all played their career average for minutes as freshman under Hurley at URI. If you can play, you'll play

Reaction Score
Jarvis Garrett, EC Matthews, and Hassan Martin all played their career average for minutes as freshman under Hurley at URI. If you can play, you'll play

As I wrote, I was specifically referencing starting. Those three, plus Jeff Dowtin, broke into the starting line-ups for Hurley over the course of their respective freshmen years, but only Terrell started in November.

Reaction Score
It's exciting to know we not only have a talent uptick but a coaching staff to develop the talent. Regardless of if we make the NCAA tournament or not, we'll see progress and a quality product on the floor. Continuing to trend in the right direction...

Reaction Score
No way is Vital not starting at the 2.

Rique/Gaffney
Vital/Adams
Bouk/Sid
Polley/Akok
Carlton/Manuel (hopefully)/ Whaley

That's my depth chart. The 3 and 4 are interchangable, IMO. ESPECIALLY the 4. We are a much better team when Akok overtakes Polley for minutes.

And of course 3 guard lineups, going big, matchups, etc change all of this frequently.

Like the idea I'd change it up just a little for different match ups:

Rique/Gaffney
Vital/Bouknight/Adams
Bouk/Polley/Sid
Polley/Akok
Carlton/Manuel/Whaley

All good though mix and match the 2's, 3's, 4's based on foul trouble, match ups. Hope the Manuel thing works out, very important.

Reaction Score
What about Sid?
These are tacit tidbits of information. If he earned a shoutout, he would've gotten one. Slim chance it is a mind game for Sid to think he needs to do more or to keep him under wraps, but in all likelihood it's because he is not good and has not gotten better. Nothing about CV, who isn't Hurley's favorite even if they coexist, and Whaley, who the staff probably hoped would transfer, either.

Reaction Score
When I was chatting with Hurley before the Stamford Road Show, he made it a point to mention how good Bouknight is going to be and that he has the physical abilities and mentality to be a superstar in a couple years. He said Uconn fans are going to love to watch this kid play.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The shot he’s shooting in the video is like shooting a 3 at LA fitness. That gym looks very small, he’d basically need to extend his range to a step inside of half court in that gym for it to translate to a college 3 with a hand in his face.

Reaction Score
Starting 5 of Gilbert, CV, Bouknight, Akok and Carlton with Gaffney, Sid, Polley, and Whaley giving us good minutes. That squad has potential

Reaction Score
Real question is who gets meaningful minutes against elite competition

I think its an 8 man rotation
Gilbert, Gaffney, CV, Bouknight, Akok, Carlton, Sid, and Manuel

Lineup used most often against elite competition
Gilbert
Gaffney
Bouknight
Akok
Manuel

Carlton usually gets into foul trouble against elite competition....I see that improving but not drastically.
CV's lack of ballhandling becomes an issue against good teams
Sid still needs to improve in a few areas

I think this lineup has ballhandlers, shooters, guys who are fast and athletic. Akok can help spread the floor and open up driving lanes. Might be wishful thinking since its 3 freshman in that lineup but it will be fun to see.

Reaction Score
Starting 5 of Gilbert, CV, Bouknight, Akok and Carlton with Gaffney, Sid, Polley, and Whaley giving us good minutes. That squad has potential

If Bouk and Akok are earning starts, we are in a great place as a time. Definitely a high upside lineup

Reaction Score
Still a big man that can bang short.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Shooting in that quintet is the big issue. Athleticism is through the roof but if teams can pack it in on you they can negate that somewhat.
Don’t give up on Polley,CV,or even Adams.

Akok, Gilbert and Bouknight can all hit 3s. I think Wilson will shoot much better this year, and Carlton is an efficiency machine. He’s going to command doubles at times.

I think we will see several starting lineups and tons of in game lineups as Hurley figures out what works. It’s about matchups and who compliments whom. I don’t think there are fixed “starters” except Gilbert and Carlton.

Example, I like Sid at the 3 with Polley at the 4. Polley’s shooting extends the D and Sid provides boars, blocks and around the basket offense.

CV is best with creators around him. But he and Gilbert make for a small backcourt. Who does he fit best with? Gaffney? Not sure. Adams will be the Swiss Army knife guy. Big enough to guard 3s, tough enough to bang a bit or post small guards, decent shooter and ball handler. This is a deep team. Everyone is going to play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

With the exception of Terrell, who was ranked #64 on 247, Hurley has never had freshmen like these so it’s pretty hard to predict. I do think it will get harder for Freshmen to crack the starting lineup as the talent improves.

Really hope Whaley gets up to 225. That would be impressive.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think the main competition will be at the 4; between a now experienced Polley who has added(adding) some weight and Akok. Both play big minutes regardless. We can even play them together early with Akok at the 5 against weaker competition.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Akok, Gilbert and Bouknight can all hit 3s. I think Wilson will shoot much better this year, and Carlton is an efficiency machine. He’s going to command doubles at times.

I think we will see several starting lineups and tons of in game lineups as Hurley figures out what works. It’s about matchups and who compliments whom. I don’t think there are fixed “starters” except Gilbert and Carlton.

Example, I like Sid at the 3 with Polley at the 4. Polley’s shooting extends the D and Sid provides boars, blocks and around the basket offense.

CV is best with creators around him. But he and Gilbert make for a small backcourt. Who does he fit best with? Gaffney? Not sure. Adams will be the Swiss Army knife guy. Big enough to guard 3s, tough enough to bang a bit or post small guards, decent shooter and ball handler. This is a deep team. Everyone is going to play.
Ah CV and Polley hit 3's pretty damn well too

Reaction Score
With the exception of Terrell, who was ranked #64 on 247, Hurley has never had freshmen like these so it’s pretty hard to predict. I do think it will get harder for Freshmen to crack the starting lineup as the talent improves.

Really hope Whaley gets up to 225. That would be impressive.

I see your point, but he has a pretty set way of how he thinks players should be developed. It’s much less throwing a guy in to sink or swim and more creating chances for success. He also doesn’t like constant changes with his starting 5 and going back and forth with guys. Some things stay the same regardless of conference.

EC was a top 100 guy (may have fallen to just outside by the time he stepped on campus) and still didn’t start right away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom