Reaction Score
Temper your expectations

Fine, dad.

2834B5DF-B9F0-419C-96FB-1C3CA1FC1C09.gif

Reaction Score
20+ wins
AAC semis
Second rout NCAA

... this will make me content and excited for the future. Not a high feat. Should be very do-able.

Assuming Manuel is added to the roster, I don't think this hope is an overreach. We only need to find a few points improvement offensively or defensively in 5-6 games to make this happen. Rim protection and low post scoring should both improve with Akok & Manuel and an improving Carlton. The ability to have 2 of the 3 on the court when desired has got to mean a couple fewer second chance opportunities for the opponents. In addition, our flexibility at the 3 with Bouknight, Wilson, or Polley offers the flexibility to cause mismatches with size or speed. Injuries will hurt us, but we will be much less at a disadvantage with foul trouble this year. Everybody contributed at times last year, but in general Whaley, Yakwe, and Cobb were only asked to hold the fort. This year we will have 5 players on the court at all times that have a greater likelihood to make a positive impact. I wish we had 1 more ball handler which I think might show up as a weakness, (a killer if Gilbert misses games).

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Excited about Bouknight. Love how he has developed practice habits of scoring with pressure on him. He might be a surprise problem for opponents. This upcoming season:

LOVE the range he displays. I can't wait for the season to start!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Excited about Bouknight. Love how he has developed practice habits of scoring with pressure on him. He might be a surprise problem for opponents. This upcoming season:

Love the way he's shooting off the dribble, and while moving laterally. I think he'll start at SG before Christmas.

I really love the length and athleticism of this lineup.
Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok
Carlton

Reaction Score

With Bouknight, Jalen, CV, Akok, AG, & Polley, I think it's safe to say this is the best shooting team we've had in quite some time....

Reaction Score
Best looking pure shooting guard I have seen in Storrs since Jeremy Lamb in 2011, 2012 (not to be confused with the more recent combination guards like Boatright or Jalen Adams). Seven years, it's been a while. He and Gaffney and Akok are really going to have a big impact here, starting this year.

In the video that spin move to his right around the trainer at the 2:05 mark, keeping his dribble with the left hand, that was smooth. I saw Ben Gordon do that once while bringing the ball up the court in transition at say 3/4 speed, going right around a defender like they were standing still, and my father and I just looked at each other like "whoa", how did he hang on to that.

Hurley is going to greenlight Bouknight; tell him to be aggressive, create, and look for his shot, pushing his confidence. I know CV is pencilled in as the probable starter, and deservedly so, especially early in the season, but JB is going to be pushing hard for that spot, and if he produces and can play defense it's going to be tough for Hurley to keep him out of the starting lineup.

This kid is really talented and athletic and an excellent shooter. Great body control and BB skills allow him to score with versatility. I'm going to buy the hype on this one; I can see how good he is going to be. Really looking forward to watching him play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love the strength reports on Carlton but based on his improvement last year he really doesn’t have too far to go to be a dominant center in the American. One question though, what happens if he gets 2 fouls with 10 minutes to go in the first half?

Reaction Score
Love the strength reports on Carlton but based on his improvement last year he really doesn’t have too far to go to be a dominant center in the American. One question though, what happens if he gets 2 fouls with 10 minutes to go in the first half?
What happens? We cross our fingers and pray.

Reaction Score
We hope Manuel is on the roster lol

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We hope Manuel is on the roster lol

Yeah, and the alternative is to plug in Whaley and run a press. A team with Whaley, Akok and Sid across the back is about as mobile, athletic and shot blocking oriented as you're going to find on the defensive end. No Carlton hurts our half court offense, so we run.

Reaction Score

Then Porkchop comes in and goes to work, gets putbacks, blocks and plays good D while our guards and shooters do the scoring. I'm forever team Porkchop...he will prove many wrong this season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Man that kid has a sweet stroke.

CL82

Reaction Score
Love the way he's shooting off the dribble, and while moving laterally. I think he'll start at SG before Christmas.

I really love the length and athleticism of this lineup.
Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok
Carlton
Very Hurleyballish isn't it? Scoring from all 5 positions. Maybe move Bouk to the three and put CV at the 2?

CL82

Reaction Score
Small ball?

I think Akok becomes our 4/5 player. Not the best thing to have him banging against mature bigs though. Carlton need to stay on the floor. Get him a couple of strategic breaks around time outs but other than that, he's our horse.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and the alternative is to plug in Whaley and run a press. A team with Whaley, Akok and Sid across the back is about as mobile, athletic and shot blocking oriented as you're going to find on the defensive end. No Carlton hurts our half court offense, so we run.
And the skinniest black hole offensive team you can find anywhere.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And the skinniest black hole offensive team you can find anywhere.

Which is why you are running. Transition offense. Great D should lead to that.

Reaction Score
Temper your expectations
Why temper? Seems more than possible.

Hurley’s had a full year of coaching these guys, knows them well, worked with his staff on individual development plans, and isn’t in “on-boarding” mode any more.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all. Cheer them on!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom