Team updates | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Team updates

pj

Reaction Score
There's going to be competition at every spot except AG's. If Valdir Manuel comes he'll compete with Carlton. Akok should have the 4 spot locked down but Polley may take strides. Bouk, Sid, and BAdams at the 3. Vital, Gaffney, Bouk at the 2 and Gaffney backing up Alterique. I doubt BAdams and Whaley see the court much, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
There's going to be competition at every spot except AG's. If Valdir Manuel comes he'll compete with Carlton. Akok should have the 4 spot locked down but Polley may take strides. Bouk, Sid, and BAdams at the 3. Vital, Gaffney, Bouk at the 2 and Gaffney backing up Alterique. I doubt BAdams and Whaley see the court much, but would be happy to be proven wrong.
I'd be shocked if Josh isn't a starter

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With the exception of Terrell, who was ranked #64 on 247, Hurley has never had freshmen like these so it’s pretty hard to predict. I do think it will get harder for Freshmen to crack the starting lineup as the talent improves.

Really hope Whaley gets up to 225. That would be impressive.

Whaley gets to 225? Pounds? If that happens I'll drink a 6-pack of beer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if Josh isn't a starter

Shocked like this?

Reaction Score
it seems there is high confidence valdir is coming, is this the case?? i must have missed something. don’t kill me :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
it seems there is high confidence valdir is coming, is this the case?? i must have missed something. don’t kill me :)

There is a high chance of someone since the Diarra scholarship has been freed up. BYCW says it is more likely a big than a guard/wing. Out of all the available bigs, Valdir is most likely. At least according to BYCW.

BYCW=Boneyard Conventional Wisdom.

Reaction Score
I think the main competition will be at the 4; between a now experienced Polley who has added(adding) some weight and Akok. Both play big minutes regardless. We can even play them together early with Akok at the 5 against weaker competition.

Definitely. They are both a legit 6’9” which is plenty big for a front court against non-elite teams.

Reaction Score
Video of Bouk is great and encouraging but we didn’t see misses, defense, etc. looks great though. Not pessimistic but also can’t fully trust a video before declaring him a starter and beyond. I’ll always refer back to what JC would say; Let’s see if he can shoot when they turn the lights on.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Real question is who gets meaningful minutes against elite competition

I think its an 8 man rotation
Gilbert, Gaffney, CV, Bouknight, Akok, Carlton, Sid, and Manuel

Lineup used most often against elite competition
Gilbert
Gaffney
Bouknight
Akok
Manuel

Carlton usually gets into foul trouble against elite competition....I see that improving but not drastically.
CV's lack of ballhandling becomes an issue against good teams
Sid still needs to improve in a few areas

I think this lineup has ballhandlers, shooters, guys who are fast and athletic. Akok can help spread the floor and open up driving lanes. Might be wishful thinking since its 3 freshman in that lineup but it will be fun to see.
no Polley? and penning in Manuel already?

Reaction Score
When I was chatting with Hurley before the Stamford Road Show, he made it a point to mention how good Bouknight is going to be and that he has the physical abilities and mentality to be a superstar in a couple years. He said Uconn fans are going to love to watch this kid play.
Music to my ears!

C

Chief00

Richie Springs in the Uconn tee. Love to see it.

Will be nice to have a player who takes good shots. Our shot selection as a whole has been atrocious for some time now. It’s like our kids went out of their way to take difficult contested off balanced shots. Super annoying(unless we were hitting them of course).
Springs is a kid Chief likes. Good guy to have on a team type dude. Don’t overthink or look at star rating.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Springs is a kid Chief likes. Good guy to have on a team type dude. Don’t overthink or look at star rating.
I agree. He’s looked good on circuit too.

C

Chief00

The other kids like playing with him because he is willing to do the unglamorous little things that good teammates do. I get it, he will never be the poster boy of the First Night crowd and that’s just fine with Chief.

Reaction Score

Tough to say imo. He looked very very good the last weekend in may.

He did not look good at all before that.

I think the tricky thing is his position. He has limited shooting ability at the 4. Hurley likes a shooter at the 4, and it's a necessary skill in the modern game.

Where does springs fit?

C

Chief00

Tough to say imo. He looked very very good the last weekend in may.

He did not look good at all before that.

I think the tricky thing is his position. He has limited shooting ability at the 4. Hurley likes a shooter at the 4, and it's a necessary skill in the modern game.

Where does springs fit?

I have always emphasized he’s a good guy to have on a team. Hurley will recruit shooters but as we have had in past glory years, we need guys to play other roles too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmm was this when the team learned about the move to the big East?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom