Team Summer Activity | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Team Summer Activity

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Sure looks like Samson and AK are on the same team a lot during these scrimmages @Huskybass
During the 5 on 5 at the end it was him, AK, AM, and Stew on offense. Liam, Abraham, Reed, and Diarra on defense. Ross on the sideline.

So Solo at starting point confirmed. :)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Or it's Aidan Mahaney at PG like everyone on the Boneyard has been predicting
Yes, the guy who has been in school two years and averaged 2.6 assists is going to play PG for us and not the guy who it’s in his best interest for his future to do so.

I’m not sure why this board is so down on Solo to really push anybody but the obvious guy into the role.

Reaction Score
When was the last time we legitimately had 3-4 starter spots up for grabs before the season?

2006-07
2010-11
2019-20
2024-25

Might be missing one

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Yes, the guy who has been in school two years and averaged 2.6 assists is going to play PG for us and not the guy who it’s in his best interest for his future to do so.

I’m not sure why this board is so down on Solo to really push anybody but the obvious guy into the role.
I think Solos best NBA future bet is to develop his off ball skills and defense. Guys with elite athleticism and jump shots get drafted in the first round all the time. But he’s never shown point guard skills.

Reaction Score
I think Solos best NBA future bet is to develop his off ball skills and defense. Guys with elite athleticism and jump shots get drafted in the first round all the time. But he’s never shown point guard skills.
The reason why Solo wasn't on the floor more last year and will dictate how much he'll be on the floor this year is missing defensive assignments-Drives Danny crazy-If he can get that figured out- He'll get plenty of PT and scouts from the NBA will get interested due to his offensive skills and athleticism.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The reason why Solo wasn't on the floor more last year and will dictate how much he'll be on the floor this year is missing defensive assignments-Drives Danny crazy-If he can get that figured out- He'll get plenty of PT and scouts from the NBA will get interested due to his offensive skills and athleticism.
Id argue it’s more to do with having 2 elite wings and a more talented and physically gifted wing at his positions. He wasn’t that bad defensively.

Reaction Score

I'm not down on Solo at all, he's going to start at his best position, 2 guard. That's his best college position and it's his best NBA position. Citing Mahaney's stats is a weird flex in defense of the guy who averaged 3x less assists per 40 minutes

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Those guys are not 6’3 that you’re talking about. Being a 6’3 SG is not what’s best for him in the NBA. That puts him at a disadvantage and makes him small for the position.

Teaching him how to be a 6’3 elite athlete point guard raises his ceiling immensely. That’s what’s best for him. That’s the frustrating thing for me is this board is rooting for something to hamper his ceiling.

Most of this board was also confused on why Castle was adamant to want to force his way to play PG at the next level. The fact of the matter is we rightly prioritized the vets on the team last year to where our talented freshman had to play roles outside of their actual skillsets. That’s why guys did not look as good and didn’t show skills that they should’ve and had. Castle is the prime example and he actually had playing time. Everyone (especially outside of our fanbase) is so surprised by how good his PG skills are.

Solo was always a predominantly on ball player. Last year he had to be a catch and shoot guy. That’s why he didn’t look like he had PG skills. He will look much different this year I fully expect that. It’s as simple as him having opportunity in the right role.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Solo was always a predominantly on ball player.
I mean, I wish he was built like Lebron James, but that's not the reality of his situation. He's a 6'3 off guard, he'd be a better prospect if he was 6'5, but he's not.

But i'm gonna need some sourcing on this. He always played with a point guard at Brewster, and didn't play one minute of point his freshman season.

But like Hawkins and Spencer before him, he'll have opportunities to attack off the dribble in our offense. So I wouldn't worry about him being the table setter.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I mean, I wish he was built like Lebron James, but that's not the reality of his situation. He's a 6'3 off guard, he'd be a better prospect if he was 6'5, but he's not.

But i'm gonna need some sourcing on this. He always played with a point guard at Brewster, and didn't play one minute of point his freshman season.

But like Hawkins and Spencer before him, he'll have opportunities to attack off the dribble in our offense. So I wouldn't worry about him being the table setter.
He didn’t play point for the same reason that people questioned if Castle could be a PG in the NBA. There was a logjam at the position.

He’s not a pure point like Castle or Newton. He’s more in the mold of a Maxey, Quickley, Murray.

His ceiling is Russell Westbrook. Here’s a scouting report from his HS days that says that and says he’s a primary ball handler too.

On offense, Ball first excels as a slasher. Although he’s not big, his quickness allows him to leak out in transition and also blow by defenders to get easy looks at the rim. His fastbreak opportunities will naturally diminish at the college level, as it’s harder to cherry pick buckets in the same way. However, he should still find success as a cutter or attacking the rim as the primary ball handler. Ball also creates opportunities for himself through solid offensive rebounding, which leads to putbacks.

It’s tough to place Ball into a box or give him a comparison, but one good one is a
Russell Westbrook, with better shooting.

FWIW, his profile says PG at the top of the article too.

Reaction Score
Those guys are not 6’3 that you’re talking about. Being a 6’3 SG is not what’s best for him in the NBA. That puts him at a disadvantage and makes him small for the position.

Teaching him how to be a 6’3 elite athlete point guard raises his ceiling immensely. That’s what’s best for him. That’s the frustrating thing for me is this board is rooting for something to hamper his ceiling.

Most of this board was also confused on why Castle was adamant to want to force his way to play PG at the next level. The fact of the matter is we rightly prioritized the vets on the team last year to where our talented freshman had to play roles outside of their actual skillsets. That’s why guys did not look as good and didn’t show skills that they should’ve and had. Castle is the prime example and he actually had playing time. Everyone (especially outside of our fanbase) is so surprised by how good his PG skills are.

Solo was always a predominantly on ball player. Last year he had to be a catch and shoot guy. That’s why he didn’t look like he had PG skills. He will look much different this year I fully expect that. It’s as simple as him having opportunity in the right role.
Bradley Beal, Donovan Mitchell, Immanuel Quickley, Donte DiVincenzo, Anfernee Simons, Gary Payton II, Grayson Allen, Lonnie Walker, Bruce Brown, Terry Rozier, Seth Curry, CJ McCollum, Luguentz Dort, Cam Spencer, Norman Powell. The idea Ball can't play shooting guard in the NBA is absurd. He has a 6'10 wingspan and is supreme athlete.

Castle always was a point guard on the ball in high school and has always shown he has outstanding point guard skills, Solo Ball has never shown that. He's going to be great and maybe he'll develop those skills down the road and turn into an NBA point guard someday but he doesn't really have those skills now and there are three guys on the team who have those skills currently. Ball can play on the ball some but he's a straight line driver. I watched a lot of him before Uconn and he scored on straight line drives, catch and shoot threes, some pull ups, and out on the break. Passing is not a strength and he needs more change of pace.

Reaction Score
Id argue it’s more to do with having 2 elite wings and a more talented and physically gifted wing at his positions. He wasn’t that bad defensively.
There is no question that our guard/wing rotation last year would have made it difficult for any freshman (except Castle) to get a lot of PT. After Solo's UNC breakthrough game-I was anticipating more PT for him. Did not happen in a significant way. I would pay particular attention to him when he was inserted into games and it was clear that he was/is a gifted offensive player. I also saw he got beat multiple times on defensive rotations and/or getting picked off on back door cuts for easy buckets. I also observed his HC's body language when the camera zoomed into him after those plays.

I expect Solo to be a valuable player this year and show everyone why his teammates and coaches are optimistic about his impact on our success this year. He has the potential to be a disruptive defender based on his substantial physical talents. Being a two way player is part of Dan's criteria for PT. I believe Solo will be much more impactful on D this year. He's too talented.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Bradley Beal, Donovan Mitchell, Immanuel Quickley, Donte DiVincenzo, Anfernee Simons, Gary Payton II, Grayson Allen, Lonnie Walker, Bruce Brown, Terry Rozier, Seth Curry, CJ McCollum, Luguentz Dort, Cam Spencer, Norman Powell. The idea Ball can't play shooting guard in the NBA is absurd. He has a 6'10 wingspan and is supreme athlete.

Castle always was a point guard on the ball in high school and has always shown he has outstanding point guard skills, Solo Ball has never shown that. He's going to be great and maybe he'll develop those skills down the road and turn into an NBA point guard someday but he doesn't really have those skills now and there are three guys on the team who have those skills currently. Ball can play on the ball some but he's a straight line driver. I watched a lot of him before Uconn and he scored on straight line drives, catch and shoot threes, some pull ups, and out on the break. Passing is not a strength and he needs more change of pace.
Seriously though, half this list isn’t even 6’3 and another half played PG at one point or another in their career. Like the whole list besides a few who are marginal role players.

It’s not about him not being able to play SG, of course he can. His ceiling is just significantly higher if our coaching staff who are suppose to be great developers can coach and develop him to be a PG.

What 3 guys on the roster? I know of only Diarra and Ahmad. I would not go out my way to avoid Solo’s development for a guy who hasn’t played there his whole career with Aidan. That’s just ridiculous and would be a disservice to both of them. Aidan should be focused on doing what we brought him in to do. Not playing him out of position.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
During the 5 on 5 at the end it was him, AK, AM, and Stew on offense. Liam, Abraham, Reed, and Diarra on defense. Ross on the sideline.

So Solo at starting point confirmed. :)
Also fwiw, this was a joke lol

Reaction Score
Newton was our PG. However, he often played off the ball while others brought the ball up the court and ran the team as the PG. So my guess is that Hurley will play Mahaney at the point. And Solo at the point. And Diarra at the point. And Nowell at the point.

Solo looks like a classic PG. How they play will determine who gets minutes there.

Reaction Score
Seriously though, half this list isn’t even 6’3 and another half played PG at one point or another in their career. Like the whole list besides a few who are marginal role players.

It’s not about him not being able to play SG, of course he can. His ceiling is just significantly higher if our coaching staff who are suppose to be great developers can coach and develop him to be a PG.

What 3 guys on the roster? I know of only Diarra and Ahmad. I would not go out my way to avoid Solo’s development for a guy who hasn’t played there his whole career with Aidan. That’s just ridiculous and would be a disservice to both of them. Aidan should be focused on doing what we brought him in to do. Not playing him out of position.
Solo HIMSELF literally hasn’t played PG his whole career. Aidan played on the ball a LOT more than Solo has. Idk what you’re all hung up about here. Solo hasn’t displayed PG skills at all yet. He may in the future! That doesn’t mean the staff should play him in an uncomfortable position from the jump.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Solo HIMSELF literally hasn’t played PG his whole career. Aidan played on the ball a LOT more than Solo has. Idk what you’re do hung up about here. Solo hasn’t displayed PG skills at all yet. He may in the future! That doesn’t mean the staff should play him in an uncomfortable position from the jump.
Not sure why it’s this board’s prerogative to act like him being 2nd on the team in assists never happened in Europe. The one time he was asked to play that role.

He looked pretty comfortable then.

Reaction Score
Not sure why it’s this board’s prerogative to act like him being 2nd on the team in assists never happened in Europe. The one time he was asked to play that role.

He looked pretty comfortable then.
That is the reach of all reaches. I lay down my arms here.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That is the reach of all reaches. I lay down my arms here.
Did anyone else do anything during that trip that they didn’t do during the season? Genuine question. If so can you point that out.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Board: We’ve never seen Solo show any PG skills.

Me: He actually did for a few games here on the team when he was asked to and showed good potential. Here’s a scouting report that compares him to one too.

Board: That doesn’t count!
IMG_0599.jpeg

Reaction Score
Board: We’ve never seen Solo show any PG skills.

Me: He actually did for a few games here on the team when he was asked to and showed good potential. Here’s a scouting report that compares him to one too.

Board: That doesn’t count! View attachment 102305
It’s funny you think you’re doing victory laps. We just don’t have the energy to expend on this silly argument.

P.S., 3 games against like, 3rd division European teams aren’t a barometer for ANYTHING my man.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
funny you think you’re doing victory laps. We just don’t have the energy to expend on this silly argument.

P.S., 3 games against like, 3rd division European teams aren’t a barometer for ANYTHING my man.
Not victory laps bro. I just really care about us trying to get the most out of these phenomenally talented players we have. Solo probably being the most talented. So I’m more passionate about him than others.

I don’t agree. Guys showed what they are capable of doing during those runs. Nobody played out of character. So I’m not sure why we can’t use what Solo did as a data point on how he’s capable of doing that if he was given that role and developed into it.

Especially when that gives him a better advantage at the next level.

Reaction Score

Mahaney, Ball, Nowell. Last season it was Newton, Spencer, Castle.

No, those guys I listed aren't point guards. Role players in the NBA are a big deal and the likelihood of Ball being as good as or better than several guys I listed is pretty slim.

You brought up his height being a hindrance to playing shooting guard in the NBA, that's why I listed those guys. Nobody I listed is 6'4 or taller.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Mahaney, Ball, Nowell. Last season it was Newton, Spencer, Castle.

No, those guys I listed aren't point guards. Role players in the NBA are a big deal and the likelihood of Ball being as good as or better than several guys I listed is pretty slim.

You brought up his height being a hindrance to playing shooting guard in the NBA, that's why I listed those guys. Nobody I listed is 6'4 or taller.
Bradley Beal measured in at 6’4.75 inches with shoes on at the combine. That’s just the start.

Nice to know what little faith you have in one of our guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom