Taya Reimer transferring from Notre Dame -- or not | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Taya Reimer transferring from Notre Dame -- or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If , in fact, Reimer's decision to consider leaving is a result of reaction to the "I can't breathe" saga then I hope she stays at ND. When she , as a quasi-public person, decided to take a stand on a divisive issue , she was probably surprised and ill-prepared to handle the reported backlash. Hopefully she can take a step back and realize that actions have consequences and make this an important life learning experience. While stressful in the short run, I'm not sure running from the unintended ramifications caused by one's convictions will help her grow personally. I say all this without knowing all the facts.
ps...Muffet should never allowed the shirts in the first place.

Reaction Score
If , in fact, Reimer's decision to consider leaving is a result of reaction to the "I can't breathe" saga then I hope she stays at ND. When she , as a quasi-public person, decided to take a stand on a divisive issue , she was probably surprised and ill-prepared to handle the reported backlash. Hopefully she can take a step back and realize that actions have consequences and make this an important life learning experience. While stressful in the short run, I'm not sure running from the unintended ramifications caused by one's convictions will help her grow personally. I say all this without knowing all the facts.
If that is the issue, and she leaves and resurfaces elsewhere as a highly visible athlete, why would she think the fan reaction wouldn't just follow her to the new school? I bet there's more to it than just fans and outside haters.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So it is our duty while exercising our moral convictions and taking a stand with our teammates to let herself now be the target of vicious attacks by the social detritus who send hate mail of this type as a backlash of their own twisted beliefs concerning social action? Sure let's burn a shirt, or a flag, or a book, or a record, or a life, because that's how we lash back at those who do not share our moral convictions.

Best thing Muffet can do to back her troubled player is to reaffirm again the "I can't breathe" action and show that ND will not in any way condone or bend to the actions of a few twisted fans.

Reaction Score
So it is our duty while exercising our moral convictions and taking a stand with our teammates to let herself now be the target of vicious attacks by the social detritus who send hate mail of this type as a backlash of their own twisted beliefs concerning social action? Sure let's burn a shirt, or a flag, or a book, or a record, or a life, because that's how we lash back at those who do not share our moral convictions.

Best thing Muffet can do to back her troubled player is to reaffirm again the "I can't breathe" action and show that ND will not in any way condone or bend to the actions of a few twisted fans.
I don't condone hatemail or over the top responses to any one who expresses an opinion. But one could substitute the words " I love cops" for "I can't breathe" on a tee shirt and she would have received hate mail etc from a different group of people. That's what a divisive issue is and ,unfortunately, in our increasingly polarized society extreme responses are becoming commonplace. This may have been the young student athletes first foray into such social issues and she sounds overwhelmed with the response.When Reimer puts the ND uniform on she represents the student body, the administration, the alumni and the trustees. Someone more seasoned , as in Muffet, should have had a better understanding of the potential consequences.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I wonder about burnout for some of these transfers, a la Delle Donne. These girls play year-round since middle school. Now you get to college and the stakes are higher and your coach is on your back and...maybe it just stops being fun. We want them to knuckle down and push through it, but why should they?

Bad example. May be the reason for some but not her. She transferred out before the season even started. Her decision was based on a family issue. To me, it sure looked like she 'knucked down' at Delaware.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

So a kid makes a statement about a hotly contested social issue. Right or wrong, she makes a statement that says cops didn't receive the appropriate consequences for their actions. And then when there are consequences – right or wrong – for her actions and that's a problem? The should stick to playing basketball.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
a 19 year old college kid receiving hate mail from supposedly grown adults ?

dangelo-barksdale.gif

low life scums

Reaction Score
Yes, of course all speculation that this was part of the issue...... but if you want to make such a statement you must also have the courage to absorb the blowback..... that is just part of it....... not into accepting her as a victim if the tshirts had anything to do with this.

Reaction Score
I can assure you that if Taye transfer to a predominantly 'Black University"there would not be a big uproar and the burning of T-shirts because of the "I Can't Breathe' T-Shirts.Just a thought.

Reaction Score
Bad example. May be the reason for some but not her. She transferred out before the season even started. Her decision was based on a family issue. To me, it sure looked like she 'knucked down' at Delaware.
I believe Delle Donne did say she was tired of basketball, and that it was no longer fun for her when she left UConn. So it was part family, part basketball burn out. When she got to Delaware she did not play basketball for a year. Instead she played volleyball and eventually joined the basketball team.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Wow what a kick in the shamrocks! I do and always will respect Muffy but I have no love at all for ND in any sport. So no sympathy here for a team that managed to lose a starter half way through a season. Wish Taya well but really wonder what the issue could be to make a change so late.
A dent in the ND halos for sure and a big pair of shoes to fill as I think their season goes down hill.
I respect and admire the way her teams play basketball. But Respect for Muppet ended for me with the orchestrated ND Team no acknowledgement of Stewie POY award, coupled with there is no class at the top of the Women's game comment. Funny, if she were at the top of the women's game, she would have been right!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I believe Delle Donne did say she was tired of basketball, and that it was no longer fun for her when she left UConn. So it was part family, part basketball burn out. When she got to Delaware she did not play basketball for a year. Instead she played volleyball and eventually joined the basketball team.
HF21- that may have been a smoke screen comment- we'll never know. And I think she could not play basketball the first yr as part of the transfer rules I think. Then Geno had to authorize her playing B Ball at Delaware I think?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

So let me understand this--- Taya Reimer is the only person that is able to express her/their views, and no one else has the right to express their disagreement with her views. First amendment only goes in one direction in this country I guess. And everyone is speculating on this. And obviously any extreme hate mail, etc... is uncalled for and wrong--obviously. So is burning down cities when you disagree with something as well. I'll bet her leaving has little to do with this issue--- just a guess.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
http://m.ndinsider.com/basketball/w...d6c-9864-11e4-a83a-a350934dc3a1.html?mode=jqm

South Bend Trib article on this. Includes the revelation that she received hate mail after the "I Can't Breathe" shirts.

If true, that is awful. As a veteran activist of several causes, I'd tell her that anytime you take a stand you feel strongly about, there will be people that criticize you. I don't care where she transfers or if she stays at ND, there will be people that would criticize any particular stand. She's a young woman and she should use this to empower herself and become a leader - on the team and in life.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So let me understand this--- Taya Reimer is the only person that is able to express her/their views, and no one else has the right to express their disagreement with her views. First amendment only goes in one direction in this country I guess. And everyone is speculating on this. And obviously any extreme hate mail, etc... is uncalled for and wrong--obviously. So is burning down cities when you disagree with something as well. I'll bet her leaving has little to do with this issue--- just a guess.
Disagreement is all well and good but there is a matter of proportion. Reimer wore a t-shirt with a quote that people didn't like. In response, people addressed theselves specifically to her with hate mail vitriolic enough to concern the police. It was a reaction out of proportion to the "offense".

And just as a general comment, the First Amendment doesn't say people can say whatever they want, wherever they want. It's meant to protect the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ND spokesperson didn't say she's staying. He said, speaking in the present, that she's still a member of the team.

I interpret it that the spokesperson (probably the ever ND-sanguine Chris Masters) is saying that (a) as far as ND is concerned, and (b) as of right now, that's the case.

If she's not leaving, or at best in limbo, why is her status for Sunday's game "uncertain?"

Have been surmising they prevailed on her (they have leverage in the matter of her release to talk to other schools) to mull it over the weekend and not make any hasty announcement until she's done that.

And then talked with them some more. Maybe they make some promises addressing her (rumored, alluded to on ND board) grievances.

So I think the situation plays out a little longer. And if I had to guess I'd say she's not playing Sunday.

There's no doubt that Taya Reimer has something going on and there's a lot of talk as to what it could be. At this point nobody seems to have any clear evidence of what her issues might be. I hope that she isn't pressured by irrelevant media opinions.

JS, please take the following exceptions as meant with a touch of humor. I think your comments are generally in sync with the topic.

[The ND spokesperson didn't say she's staying. He said, speaking in the present, that she's still a member of the team.

I interpret it that the spokesperson (probably the ever ND-sanguine Chris Masters) is saying that (a) as far as ND is concerned, and (b) as of right now, that's the case.]

:oops: I’m not sure that this interpretation is germane to the discussion as it can be said of everyone from Notre Dame’s student assistants to Muffet McGraw.

[If she's not leaving, or at best in limbo, why is her status for Sunday's game "uncertain?"]

Well, let’s speculate! :) I could offer that Taya Reimer might be handling a very personal matter as such. It’s even possible that Notre Dame respects her wishes. It’s also possible that Taya Reimer may not feel a need to explain or justify herself to even a single sporting news organization, bulletin board member or moderator, or resident of American Samoa who questions, ventures guesses, or starts a rumor about her.

[Have been surmising they prevailed on her (they have leverage in the matter of her release to talk to other schools) to mull it over the weekend and not make any hasty announcement until she's done that.

And then talked with them some more. Maybe they make some promises addressing her (rumored, alluded to on ND board) grievances.]

:eek: Or offered her candy, or threatened her dog, or engaged in even more avoidable speculation totally lacking supporting evidence… I don’t know for sure, but I’ve heard it suggested that Notre Dame could be trying to help her with whatever she’s going through without hoping to gain something for themselves. :eek: My apologies...

[So I think the situation plays out a little longer.]

Well said! :)

[And if I had to guess I'd say she's not playing Sunday.]

Agreed.

Still, I respect the discretion of organizations like ESPN that have the patience to wait without putting a media spotlight on the matter. There’s little doubt that all will become clear soon.

Again, my apologies to you JS, your comments are not an exemplar of what I'm trying to address and I hope that folks on the board will forgive a bit of my cantankerousness on the subject. Certainly, boards like this one exist to promote unfettered discussion. I’m writing this largely with regard to the effect of rumors that grew out of Elena Delle Donne’s departure from UConn and the discomfort and fatigue she's said they caused her (Heard on car radio long ago -- sorry I can't source it). Although it’s still speculated about even now, the real reason for her leaving was not because of flaws in UConn’s program, Geno Auriemma, or a lack of personal fortitude, but an intimate one that I don't think should have been intruded on for the sake of a basketball.

Just my opinion... I know everybody has one.

Reaction Score
I don't think Taya has burnt down any cities. If people responded to her by expressing their opposite views, that's fine. But responding in a way that suggests violence upon her person is way out of line.

Reaction Score
The ND spokesperson didn't say she's staying. He said, speaking in the present, that she's still a member of the team.

I interpret it that the spokesperson (probably the ever ND-sanguine Chris Masters) is saying that (a) as far as ND is concerned, and (b) as of right now, that's the case.

If she's not leaving, or at best in limbo, why is her status for Sunday's game "uncertain?"

Have been surmising they prevailed on her (they have leverage in the matter of her release to talk to other schools) to mull it over the weekend and not make any hasty announcement until she's done that.

And then talked with them some more. Maybe they make some promises addressing her (rumored, alluded to on ND board) grievances.

So I think the situation plays out a little longer. And if I had to guess I'd say she's not playing Sunday.

A lot of interpreting, surmising and guessing. I think she leaves.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
HF21- that may have been a smoke screen comment- we'll never know. And I think she could not play basketball the first yr as part of the transfer rules I think. Then Geno had to authorize her playing B Ball at Delaware I think?

Iirc, not only did she have to sit a year due to transfer rules, she didn't even touch a basketball.

Reaction Score
First, let me say that I can't stand anything about N. Dame. I root against all its teams. I can't stand the artificial "mystique", the presumption of entitlement, etc. I dislike intensely the fight song and the mascot. I can stomach maybe 3 or 4 N. Dame fans/alumni, that's about it. I'd even rate Indiana as one of my least favorite states.

As for Ms. Reimer, I don't care if she returns to N.D. or not. I do hope she works through whatever this scenario involves so that she can enjoy these best years of her life.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Disagreement is all well and good but there is a matter of proportion. Reimer wore a t-shirt with a quote that people didn't like. In response, people addressed theselves specifically to her with hate mail vitriolic enough to concern the police. It was a reaction out of proportion to the "offense".

And just as a general comment, the First Amendment doesn't say people can say whatever they want, wherever they want. It's meant to protect the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference.
Nan- I was responding to the

Nan- I appreciate the RSVP. I understand the philosophy of our Founding Fathers. I don't like haters. [mod edit; politics] And I noted in my RSVP to DR that I disdain the fact that she received any direct response that would make the police or her uncomfortable about. I thought my RSVP was proportional and even handed.
Every time this "kind of stuff comes up", I can't wait to root for my team from down south, outside Ct!!! [mod edit] I can take it! Go Huskies!

Last edited by a moderator:

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I don't believe the issue is free speech. Of course people are free to say what they want. Anyone can wear a shirt that says whatever they want, It's about consequences. Whether the consequences are good or bad, justified or unjustified, harmful or beneficial, there are consequences to one's actions. When someone speaks out on a controversial issue, they should know that people from across the spectrum may react. Should people have sent pictures of burning jerseys? Of course not, but that's a consequence of using a very public forum to make a statement.

Reaction Score
I don't condone hatemail or over the top responses to any one who expresses an opinion. But one could substitute the words " I love cops" for "I can't breathe" on a tee shirt and she would have received hate mail etc from a different group of people. That's what a divisive issue is and ,unfortunately, in our increasingly polarized society extreme responses are becoming commonplace. This may have been the young student athletes first foray into such social issues and she sounds overwhelmed with the response.When Reimer puts the ND uniform on she represents the student body, the administration, the alumni and the trustees. Someone more seasoned , as in Muffet, should have had a better understanding of the potential consequences.

If what you say is to be believe then no student is free to say and do anything outside of what a university prescribe. This is true for academic, athletic and general students alike. If the univ and/or team sought to punish her because of her stance she should go public. Violene is violence- police especially should not have a free bane.

arch

Reaction Score
If what you say is to be believe then no student is free to say and do anything outside of what a university prescribe. This is true for academic, athletic and general students alike. If the univ and/or team sought to punish her because of her stance she should go public. Violene is violence- police especially should not have a free bane.
?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01