Taya Reimer transferring from Notre Dame -- or not | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Taya Reimer transferring from Notre Dame -- or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Looking at the stats and the situation, a somewhat different viewpoint about Reimer could be supported.

First to say she was not developing would not be right, though some might argue the development was not fast enough for their liking. Her FG%, rebounding, assists, and ppg were all up by a fair amount this year as a sophomore, and though she was getting about 2 1/2 more minutes in this year's starting role, the numbers were nonetheless up except for blocks, which are often situation dependent (Reimer's may be down without Achonwa to set her up, just as Stewie's are way down this year without Dolson despite her blockfest against Tulsa), and turnovers, where she has the most on the team and likely points to the main worry point for her about any slow development.

Also, Reimer may have been "thrown to the wolves" especially in the 2014 NC game" and to a certain extent in this year's UConn game without Achonwa last year and Turner this year, but her numbers for both games were pretty close to her season's stats and in many areas better, so she did not put up stinkers, and in fact shot 3-5 and had 3 blocks in the NC game. The problem was that she was asked to be the the main part of the front court against Dolson-Stewie-KML-Stokes and Tuck-Stewie-KML-Stokes, which are no-win situations. Obviously she may possibly have seemed overwhelmed a bit in those situations and especially when suddenly losing her paint partner, but that would be understandable and her stats were at least respectable.

So maybe the changeover from a bench player with 19.2 mpg last year to a starter with 21.7 mpg this year and being the senior member of the front court as a soph was tough. Maybe if the team had more bigs to work with, things would have worked out. Strange but maybe not so strange.

Reaction Score
Just a word of caution. As of now, without Taya Reimer or Notre Dame confirming it and with no other media sources offering the same conclusion, I would say that, "It's been reported..." might be a more precise assessment.
HoopFeed says yes:
Rebecca Lobo retweeted
Hoopfeed.com ‏@hoopfeed 10h10 hours ago
Sophomore forward Taya Reimer to transfer from Notre Dame (WSBT) http://j.mp/1Az4T7e #ncaaw Starter averaged 9.9ppg/6.1rpg

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Here's a question on timing, comparing Calhoun, Edwards and Reimer. Assuming that Edwards is eligible in 2nd half of season next year, however does the timing affect Calhoun & Reimer, i.e., will they lose more than a year?

Reaction Score
It's my understanding that all 3 will lose the rest of this year (obviously) and all of next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow! I'm stunned. I thought she was a decent player who was still learning. I saw her in the WBCA AA game and had mixed thoughts. Her strengths appeared to be size and versatility. She wasn't super fit or great at anything I could see, but she had potential.

Reaction Score
HoopFeed says yes:
Rebecca Lobo retweeted
Hoopfeed.com ‏@hoopfeed 10h10 hours ago
Sophomore forward Taya Reimer to transfer from Notre Dame (WSBT) http://j.mp/1Az4T7e #ncaaw Starter averaged 9.9ppg/6.1rpg

Thank you for the reply, but this tweet you mention simply repeats that the single source (WSBT) reported that Taya Reimer was transferring. It apparently offers nothing more than a rumor-like, "I heard that somebody said something, but the source simply said they 'learned' about the transfer and didn't or couldn't confirm it.".

Admittedly, less than a day has passed since the initial report, but, so far, Taya Reimer hasn't tweeted about the transfer and Notre Dame seems unaware of it. ( For instance, it seems unlikely that, despite Reimer's transfer, Notre Dame's player roster would remain unchanged: http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/nd-w-baskbl-mtt.html )

While this doesn't change the possibility that the transfer story is true, a confirmation would help clarify it.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This seems to be a new constant in WCBB.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She played well in the Semis last year but then the whole team struggled in the final (not surprising given the loss of their emotional leader and center of their offense.)

The loss at Miami may be related to the general shock of her leaving more than the loss of her on the floor. It takes a team a little time emotionally and game wise to adjust.

On the timing - NCAA requires a year in residence for transfers under normal circumstances prior to eligibility to play - Edwards in enrolled at USC for spring semester so that counts as half a year and the fall semester completes the year. With Calhoun and Reimer, unless they enroll quickly somewhere they will not get the spring semester credit and therefore have to do the full year next year. Classes are staring everywhere in the next week or two so it may be possible if they make an expedited decision, but ...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are a lot of good teams looking for a big. Louisville is close as is Kentucky and St Johns has good guards and all could use a good post player.

As far as a top 4 team. Its UConn and everybody else and it isn't close right now. With MoJeff and Tuck becoming scoring machines UConn is devastating. So who besides UConn is top 4. UConn SC are one and two. Right now and it could change I like Louisville Texas Baylor ND and I hate to say it Tenn is playing well right now. I think it comes down to a go to player, and a must is a big in the middle and surrounding players who can contribute. But right now I don't see any team coming within double digits of UConn. Stewie is becoming a complete ball player and I attribute that to her passing (ala Stef) and her shot blocking. Her shot as well as KMLs will come back and when it does UConn will be even more awesome. Its mind boggleing how much better then every other team UConn is. Opponents cant compete with UConn they are just so good at every position and have out distanced themselves from every other team in WCBB. Genos biggest challenge is keeping his team from being bored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
There are a lot of good teams looking for a big. Louisville is close as is Kentucky and St Johns has good guards and all could use a good post player.

As far as a top 4 team. Its UConn and everybody else and it isn't close right now. With MoJeff and Tuck becoming scoring machines UConn is devastating. So who besides UConn is top 4. UConn SC are one and two. Right now and it could change I like Louisville Texas Baylor ND and I hate to say it Tenn is playing well right now. I think it comes down to a go to player, and a must is a big in the middle and surrounding players who can contribute. But right now I don't see any team coming within double digits of UConn. Stewie is becoming a complete ball player and I attribute that to her passing (ala Stef) and her shot blocking. Her shot as well as KMLs will come back and when it does UConn will be even more awesome. Its mind boggleing how much better then every other team UConn is. Opponents cant compete with UConn they are just so good at every position and have out distanced themselves from every other team in WCBB. Genos biggest challenge is keeping his team from being bored.
St. John's competed, so it's not fair to say no one else can compete. Also if Mo or Nurse were to get hurt, this seemingly invincible team would be in real trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
St. John's competed, so it's not fair to say no one else can compete. Also if Mo or Nurse were to get hurt, this seemingly invincible team would be in real trouble.
If either Moriah or Kia were to be injured (perish the thought), there are two probable coping mechanisms that Geno could use:

1. (Most likely) Let Kiah Stokes start, so Stewie is the 4, Morgan the 3, KML the 2, and the remaining healthy guard is the 1. KML has already played enough in the backcourt at both ends to make that be a minimum-loss scenario.
  2. (Less likely but possible) Tell Gabby that the secret plan was always for her to be a guard -- she probably realizes that's going to happen next year in any case, given who is coming in. Let her start in place of the injured player. That is a higher risk than the previous option, but it might work out great if Gabby rises to the challenge.
In either scenario, I still think UConn has greater than a 50% chance to win the NC. Admittedly, they would not be the overwhelming favorites that they now appear to be.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Here is a short article from an Indiana TV station saying Reimer is transferring. But nothing more concrete than. "...a source with knowledge of the situation told WSBT 22 Sports..."

http://www.wsbt.com/sports/reimer-to-transfer-from-notre-dame/30607928

The only other google results I can find are message boards, including this one, Volnation, Okla, ND, Topix, RebKell, etc

Brett McCormick (of ASGR) is also reporting it on twitter per "multiple sources". Which is of course strange since there are only two that matter, Reimer and ND.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Sometimes it's as simple as not feeling wanted. Young people arrive at this conclusion, whether it's accurate or not, for reasons we might easily see, or we might never see. When a player believes she was wanted more on signing day more than she is wanted now, it's not hard to leave. It's hard to stay.

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The interesting part for me is that Reimer was huge in NDs recruiting, all the recruits liked her.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
She probably thought her training would extend beyond learning to flop.

Haha - I was going to post something like that but you took care of it ! Good job.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sometimes it's as simple as not feeling wanted. Young people arrive at this conclusion, whether it's accurate or not, for reasons we might easily see, or we might never see. When a player believes she was wanted more on signing day more than she is wanted now, it's not hard to leave. It's hard to stay.

I wonder about burnout for some of these transfers, a la Delle Donne. These girls play year-round since middle school. Now you get to college and the stakes are higher and your coach is on your back and...maybe it just stops being fun. We want them to knuckle down and push through it, but why should they?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The Choke (aka Arti and the Fighting A) was reporting it as true last night on McGraw's Bench (about as close as you get to an ND WCBB board), so it has to be true, doesn't it? He wouldn't lie, at least about ND stuff.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
http://www.wndu.com/sports/headline...ering-her-future-at-Notre-Dame-288016031.html

1 AM this AM this came out. Now I am wondering whether the report is premature. Still, making her look like Hamlet does not improve the situation should she wish to leave ND and play ball. Apparently there was nothing in the post-game presser to shed light on the situation and ND has not put the presser up on its site (other then the NC defeat, I don't thing they post losing effort pressers).

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It appears at this point that nothing is definite. Neither espn nor yahoo sports has picked up the story, and the latest version seems to be that she is "considering her future at ND".

Reaction Score
I wonder about burnout for some of these transfers, a la Delle Donne. These girls play year-round since middle school. Now you get to college and the stakes are higher and your coach is on your back and...maybe it just stops being fun. We want them to knuckle down and push through it, but why should they?

At a school like Notre Dame I can think of 200,000 reasons why it would be beneficial to push through it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It appears at this point that nothing is definite. Neither espn nor yahoo sports has picked up the story, and the latest version seems to be that she is "considering her future at ND".

Coming back at this point might be more difficult than just leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01