Taya Reimer transferring from Notre Dame -- or not | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Taya Reimer transferring from Notre Dame -- or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
If the univ and/or team sought to punish her because of her stance she should go public. Violene is violence- police especially should not have a free bane.
1. There's been nothing whatsoever in the publicly available information to suggest her problem is related to any sort of punishment for her stance. To the contrary, far as I've seen the staff was supportive.

2. "Bane?" Doesn't work in modern English so it's tempting to think transcribing mistake. But at the risk of possibly excessive erudition: You're Danish I believe. Are you thinking of a word with a derivation in common with Middle English? [Old English bana, slayer; Old Norse bani, death; Old Saxon bano, murderer]. In that context the use of the word would actually make a kind of sense.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I don't think Taya has burnt down any cities. If people responded to her by expressing their opposite views, that's fine. But responding in a way that suggests violence upon her person is way out of line.
Did I say she burned down cities? I inferred that????

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
And the actual issue seams to be unfolding in Muppet's own words in the quotes in the link above- Taya and Muppet have had some "mono a mono" meetings recently on her performance or play of late. She was the 4th ranked player in her class, that we also recruited. And if she were performing up to what we thought was her potential, Notre Dame would be much more of a contender. Does everyone still think this has much or anything to do with a social statement, or some idiots response to them, after reading this carefully. Another smoke screen, IMO, as the actual truth begins to come out.

Reaction Score
1. There's been nothing whatsoever in the publicly available information to suggest her problem is related to any sort of punishment for her stance. To the contrary, far as I've seen the staff was supportive.

2. "Bane?" Doesn't work in modern English so it's tempting to think transcribing mistake. But at the risk of possibly excessive erudition: You're Danish I believe. Are you thinking of a word with a derivation in common with Middle English? [Old English bana, slayer; Old Norse bani, death; Old Saxon bano, murderer]. In that context the use of the word would actually make a kind of sense.

I do not wish to be the bane of your existence, but I believe you may wish to revise point #2.

JS

Reaction Score
I do not wish to be the bane of your existence, but I believe you may wish to revise point #2.
Apologies to those (most, perhaps) for whom this is an uninteresting digression, but I love word origins.

Maddoggy, you cite the familiar phrase meaning a person or thing that ruins or spoils, or is a cause of distress or annoyance, or is particularly effective in causing one trouble or worry.

If one says police "should not have a free b
ane" I think we're looking at an older meaning -- i.e. a source of death -- that's present, sometimes noted as obsolete, in some dictionaries. In this sense it definitely goes back to Middle English and earlier (Old English Germanic, Scandinavian influences).

So if a Northern European writing in English as a second language uses the odd (to my ear anyway) phrase "a free bane," I'm surmising he may be mentally translating a thought equivalent to "a license to kill."

I'll file that away as the "007 interpretation." The other interpretation, of course, is he meant to say something like "a free hand" but mistranscribed it, which would be rather less interesting.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sad.

As one who grew up in a time of social turmoil that saw students fighting against social injustices and helping to bring about the changes today that even in the face of many inequalities still at least allow four members of the UConn starting team to be on a court that they would have been barred from it 55 years ago, it is sad to see the "she got what was coming to her" and "next she'll be joining those burning down cities" type of comments here about a young women standing up for her moral values.

And to say that someone who would wear a shirt that says "I love cops" would be exposed to hate mail is a sign of total cluelessness. In my town as in most towns of the USA, wearing a Police Benevolence Badge earns you kudos rather than hate, but likewise if a cop attacks a black guy and then shoots him when he defends himself, Al Sharpton will win over many local supporters for his protest march among those who can recognize when an injustice has been done. That's my Dobbs.

Hate mail of the type that Reimer received is unfortunately all to common in a polarized America, but it is sad to see the "she had it coming" statements about a brave young woman.

Taya, you go girl.

JS

Reaction Score
OK, I admit to an esoteric digression myself, but the thread isn't being kept on this board to debate -- again -- the clash of social [and quasi political] value systems in play with the t-shirts episode.

Hence . . . let's pick up the Reimer saga in a new thread when there's some news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom