Syracuse vs South Carolina, Stanford vs Notre Dame | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Syracuse vs South Carolina, Stanford vs Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
True but we were playing at Stanford, had lost two starters and it was the second game of the season. UConn still played poorly but they weren't the cohesive unit they are now, to say the least. That was maybe the poorest defensive performance I have seen from UConn in many, many years and it still took some last minute stuff to send Stanford into overtime where foul trouble decided the game.

Despite everything else, if UConn had just stopped the ball on defense, and if our best perimeter defender (as of today) hadn't doubled the wrong player at the wrong moment, we are having a different discussion. But, as Geno says, Everybody is beatable.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Amazing games tonight.
It amazes me that Dawn has had such trouble developing guards considering that she was a great guard - her teams have lacked balance and for some reason Mitchell has been out of sorts all year. Scoring was always the question mark for SC and in this game they didn't score badly, just couldn't stop an energetic Syracuse, and in the second half the scoring disappeared.

TN has put together a nice little run - I keep thinking it is some trick of smoke and mirrors. It was never that difficult a path, but they are playing better and more consistently than they have all year. OSU is going to need to discover how to play defense if they ever want to get to a FF, otherwise even with all the recruits in the world they are going to be a nice S16/E8 team. They looked clueless tonight and Mitchell appeared to use up all her points in the previous game. TN has great athletes, if they can actually play smart basketball even if they don't shoot well, they can make noise. They used Pat's fomula - rebound, rebound, rebound and play defense. In the first quarter they had something like 20 rebounds to OSU's 4.

ND - stunning to me as Muffet has been able to hide their deficiencies all year, but they got exposed by Tara. Turner can disappear for long stretches and she did tonight, like she did in the last NC game, for the whole first half - no defense, no offense, just nothing. With no other really effective big with Taya gone, ND was vulnerable inside which makes defending outside a lot harder - a bad situation against Stanford. With few fouls being committed (or called at any rate) and a strangely passive offense they played from behind all game and Stanford did just enough at both ends. I wonder if Stanford can shoot as well Sunday.

Washington is really fun to watch - they play smart with two really good players and an absolutely unique center. She conserves her energy for 90% of her time on the floor, but every once in a while exhibits amazing quickness in the low post and is an immovable object who takes up a lot of space on defense. I am not sure Geno could ever get that piece of paper under her feet as I didn't see her jump at all. KY has yet to show that they are any more than a second weekend team. They are just too careless on both ends of the floor and they seem to rely on a lot of action with not a lot of substance.

Lexington and Indianapolis are no longer home courts for anyone - 4 west coast teams still in it, two TX teams, 3 southern teams, 1 great lakes team, and two northeastern teams

Reaction Score
My young grandchildren who live almost in the shadow of the Dome are thrilled. However, their roots are UConn and Duke. Talk about a family with issues.
Serious issues

Reaction Score
I get too nervous to enjoy big games, so I decided to play cards instead of watching this one.

This was not the news I had hoped to come back to. I'm really proud of this team. Had some things going against them and probably overachieved to this point. I feel for the seniors. For the rest, this is motivation for next year.

Given the talent there now that will be a year older, the recruit talent arriving next year, plus a healthy Patberg, the window for a championship will never be wider for Notre Dame than the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
Given the talent there now that will be a year older, the recruit talent arriving next year, plus a healthy Patberg, the window for a championship will never be wider for Notre Dame than the next couple of years.
Baylor and Tennessee might have something to say about that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
At least we got some good Taya Reimer twitter drama out of this.

Okay, I have to ask. What was the Reimer twitter drama?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
While I have no great love for the South Carolina players, it is disturbing to see a visibly upset young lady subjected to stupid questions. Congrats to her teammate for handling the major part of the foolishness and to Coach for stepping in for the really stupid question at the end. There were lots of good questions that could have been asked, instead mindless drivel.

Our beat writers are clueless. This is pretty much every post game presser..

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I think we can give you a one-time pass for rooting for Syracuse given the circumstances, but that's a toughie given Hillsman's less than gracious response to UConn's request for a game @ 'Cuse to let Stewart play at home her senior year.

Not to mention some of the previous history between the teams.

Notwithstanding my earlier response to MDoggie, my wife and I celebrated the Syracuse victory with Ithaca beer, a gift from our daughter and son-in-law who happen to live just outside of Syracuse.

I still am in disbelief that Stanford won. We watched the Syr/SoCar and Tenn/tOSU games and only caught the last few minutes of the Tree vs the Leprechaun. It feels like the world is a bit off kilter because a Final Four match-up between us and the Fighting Irish has become such a tradition.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
SC is hitting threes and it makes a huge difference. They could always go cold in the 2nd half and the game may tighten up again.

More Carnac mojo here ...........!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My young grandchildren who live almost in the shadow of the Dome are thrilled. However, their roots are UConn and Duke. Talk about a family with issues.
My husband was born in South Bend and grew up an ND fan, then he went to college at Georgetown. His sister went to BC and his cousin, with whom he's close, went to Michigan. I converted him to a UConn fan in basketball although he remains an ND football fan.

Reaction Score
My cousin got a full ride to ND and every time I show up at a family function he changes the subject to ND sports. I can't wait to ask him what happened next time I see him.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Lol, y'all gotta let A'ja Wilson go. She made the decision for her. Let it go.

Just rejoice in our lost tonight like expected.

Good game by Syracuse. Coach Q called a good game. I like those guards. Wish we had some.

SCG - I really appreciate the graciousness, civility and basketball IQ you and your fellow Gamecock fans bring to this board. And in particular, being honest about your team's strengths and and areas where they need improvement.

Sorry for you about the loss.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
If SC had anyone that could shoot from outside they win by double digits. Syracuse wasn't guarding past 12'.

They did in the first half. Roy was on fire; amazing how a player can be hot for one half and cold dead in the other. Amazing but it certainly happens quite a bit.

Reaction Score
:eek: Like the rest of the yard, I did not expect to see Stanford beating Notre Dame. Syracuse and South Carolina that was one was iffy. Washington over Kentucky? Didn't see that one happening. The Huskies from the West came out of nowhere. The Lady Vols? The way they were playing all season, who knew!? Wow.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My husband was born in South Bend and grew up an ND fan, then he went to college at Georgetown. His sister went to BC and his cousin, with whom he's close, went to Michigan. I converted him to a UConn fan in basketball although he remains an ND football fan.

Lots of us have this sort of problem. But the ND connection is unacceptable. Under the same roof, no less. For shame. I hope UConn never plays ND in football again. My guess is that UConn is their only opponent they've never beaten and I'd like the record book to stay that way.

In my case, Duke is just a daughter in law living far away. My roof is untainted. Two of my kids went to B1G schools, Michigan and Northwestern. NU was actually beating UM in football when they were in school. My UM grandchildren are UM and UConn fans, especially our women's team.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
ND will now have a cake walk into the finals
"Someone left the cake (walk) out in the rain."

Thank you, Basketball Gods!!!

Now I don't have to see ND fans strolling around Indy like they own the place.

GO HUSKIES!!! (of UConn)

Reaction Score
They did in the first half. Roy was on fire; amazing how a player can be hot for one half and cold dead in the other. Amazing but it certainly happens quite a bit.
In the half-time show Rebecca asked Kara if the half-time break would have a negative effect on Roy's hot shooting. Kara said something like "Definitely not. When you're as hot as she was, you can't wait to score some more." I guess not.

Reaction Score
Here's a question that I haven't seen addressed. Stanford was 11 for 20 from 3-point range, for an outstanding 55%. But ND was an even 67%, on 4 for 6. Why so few 3-point attempts from the Irish? This is usually a big part of their offense, especially from Cable and the Mabrey sisters.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SCG - I really appreciate the graciousness, civility and basketball IQ you and your fellow Gamecock fans bring to this board. And in particular, being honest about your team's strengths and and areas where they need improvement.

Sorry for you about the loss.

Thanks Cabbie! I appreciate the kind words...

Even with my team's lost it still has been an exciting tournament and I'm pumped for next year. You can really sense parity on the way in WBB where even the elites aren't too dominating..

Whenever 1-seeds lose in the way that it happened last night it always reinvigorates the remaining teams. I still feel this is UCONN's tournament to lose but they better not get caught sleepwalking (I HIGHLY doubt they will but still).

That Baylor/UCONN game is going to be all kinds of exciting! I can't wait! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom