Syracuse vs South Carolina, Stanford vs Notre Dame | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Syracuse vs South Carolina, Stanford vs Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lots of us have this sort of problem. But the ND connection is unacceptable. Under the same roof, no less. For shame. I hope UConn never plays ND in football again. My guess is that UConn is their only opponent they've never beaten and I'd like the record book to stay that way.

In my case, Duke is just a daughter in law living far away. My roof is untainted. Two of my kids went to B1G schools, Michigan and Northwestern. NU was actually beating UM in football when they were in school. My UM grandchildren are UM and UConn fans, especially our women's team.

A Duke connection is acceptable but ND is not? Why is that? Because ND occasionally (not frequently) beats UConn?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I generally have been negative about Hillsman but I thought he showed a lot of class and compassion by reaching out to her.
sometimes we just like to "hate on" people for simple silly without truly knowing the person... and its awesome when the hated unintentionally show you differently #forgiveforget #judgingbooksafterreadingonechapter #itsnotthatserioustohatesoooohard #weird

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A Duke connection is acceptable but ND is not? Why is that? Because ND occasionally (not frequently) beats UConn?
No. Because ND has the most arrogant Athletic Department ever, and all based on football stature from decades ago. Their teams can't lose enough for me. Why the Big East and now the ACC took them in without their football which is the only financially valuable sport they have is beyond me. They get all the benefit NBC throws at them and add zero value for other sports. Duke just has a men's basketball program we don't like. Not in the same universe.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
No. Because ND has the most arrogant Athletic Department ever, and all based on football stature from decades ago. Their teams can't lose enough for me. Why the Big East and now the ACC took them in without their football which is the only financially valuable sport they have is beyond me. They get all the benefit NBC throws at them and add zero value for other sports. Duke just has a men's basketball program we don't like. Not in the same universe.
^^^What he said.
I cannot begin to tell you what it's like growing up/living in ND land
and, I'll be nice, not being a fan. :mad:

Reaction Score
Does anybody know where you can view the Notre Dame Players and Coaches press conference from last night? Ty

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Info from another board, she purportedly tweeted this, then deleted it. Big hoo-ha over nothing, imo.

Okay, I see that. I like it. It's juicy yet cryptic.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Here's a question that I haven't seen addressed. Stanford was 11 for 20 from 3-point range, for an outstanding 55%. But ND was an even 67%, on 4 for 6. Why so few 3-point attempts from the Irish? This is usually a big part of their offense, especially from Cable and the Mabrey sisters.

One thing that shocked me was how well Stanford's defense succeeded in taking away the 3-point shot. "Run them off the 3-point line" was a clear priority and they accomplished it. Make them beat you off the bounce.

Reaction Score
Did you happen to buy lottery tickets today also? Well done.
Ha. I wish. The playing styles just did not sit right for me to pick both number 1 seeds. I knew the press and zone that Cuse ran would be enough to put pressure on South Carolina guards to perform. Once Mitchell out of control moves led her to early foul trouble I knew it was over. Tara is Tara. And Notre dame relies heavily on underclass man. Tara was going to pull that one off. I knew if JPM could almost pull off the upset TARA would. I don't think anyone can beat Uconn outside Baylor and Stanford. And that's a long shot.

Reaction Score
Ha. I wish. The playing styles just did not sit right for me to pick both number 1 seeds. I knew the press and zone that Cuse ran would be enough to put pressure on South Carolina guards to perform. Once Mitchell out of control moves led her to early foul trouble I knew it was over. Tara is Tara. And Notre dame relies heavily on underclass man. Tara was going to pull that one off. I knew if JPM could almost pull off the upset TARA would. I don't think anyone can beat Uconn outside Baylor and Stanford. And that's a long shot.

I for one am a tad relieved should UConn make the FF that they won't have to face VanDerveer's team in the semi-final. We have seen how effective and disruptive a game-plan she can produce with a week's worth of time. Not just this year, but I recall how competitive Stanford was against Baylor in their 2012 semi. Perhaps no one was beating that juggernaut that year, but she sure made it interesting. Plus the 1st half of the 2014 semi against the Dolson-Hartley 40-0 team was very competitive.

Reaction Score
Does anybody know where you can view the Notre Dame Players and Coaches press conference from last night? Ty

despite the image shown, McGraw/ND players remarks begin about 4 min in.

Reaction Score
In the half-time show Rebecca asked Kara if the half-time break would have a negative effect on Roy's hot shooting. Kara said something like "Definitely not. When you're as hot as she was, you can't wait to score some more." I guess not.
Hey! Kara's great, she's not perfect.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Did anyone catch the halftime interview with Allen? She seemed miffed about something (teammates?), and wonder if that affected the chemistry and play of the team?

Reaction Score
How excited will you guys be if you play Tennessee in the finals?
That would be AWESOME!! 102-48 total beatdown, capped off by a Stewie, "In Your Face Disgrace" dunk off Mo's alley-oop pass to complete their collegiate careers!

Reaction Score
Probably Stewie, Moriah , and Morgan would like to settle a score from last year, and give a beat down to Stanford for the only blemish in the last 3 years.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Okay, I have to ask. What was the Reimer twitter drama?

To elaborate (now that I am at a computer rather than on a phone):

She tweeted "What goes around..." right after the game ended. She later deleted the tweet but a local reporter tweeted a screenshot (she blocked him for his troubles).

I have no idea what caused her to leave ND. Maybe she really was mistreated. Regardless, to tweet something like that after they lost was petty and classless in my opinion. Also, it's just dumb. I would think behavior like that would give potential transfer destinations pause.

In the aftermath, certain players, ex-players, and relatives of players tweeted and liked tweets that made it very clear they weren't buying what Taya was selling. Example:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Here's a question that I haven't seen addressed. Stanford was 11 for 20 from 3-point range, for an outstanding 55%. But ND was an even 67%, on 4 for 6. Why so few 3-point attempts from the Irish? This is usually a big part of their offense, especially from Cable and the Mabrey sisters.

I think (without checking the stats) ND shot more threes when Turner was out, including against UConn. Usually, ND doesn't run offense specifically to generate 3s.

Per NCAA.com, ND ranked 2nd in 3-point percentage, but didn't finish in the top 150 for attempts. ND took 503 for the season compared to 623 for their opponents.

Intuitively this makes sense to me. Cable and the Mabrey sisters are spot-up shooters. They are not taking threes off the dribble. Don't leave them open, and they don't take threes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think (without checking the stats) ND shot more threes when Turner was out, including against UConn. Usually, ND doesn't run offense specifically to generate 3s.

Per NCAA.com, ND ranked 2nd in 3-point percentage, but didn't finish in the top 150 for attempts. ND took 503 for the season compared to 623 for their opponents.

Intuitively this makes sense to me. Cable and the Mabrey sisters are spot-up shooters. They are not taking threes off the dribble. Don't leave them open, and they don't take threes.
Definitely ND was shooting a lot more threes early in the year when Taya and Turner initially were out - and they were hitting on an insane percentage - at one point I think it was at 56% shortly after the Uconn game - as the season went on and the 'return toward the mean' that generally pertains to any human endeavor took over the percentage steadily returned to the normal range for very good three point shooting teams - somewhere in the low 40s. A five out offense against a standard team with a center and power forward creates a lot more openings at the three point line. I actually was less worried about ND with Turner playing because it posed fewer match-up issues for Uconn in the NCAAs than what they experienced earlier in the year. It is the same reason why a DePaul can be so tricky for better teams or why Dayton was a little scary last year. An unusual offense can be harder to defend than a standard offense with better players because you practice and play all year against the standard kinds of offense.

On the Reimer tweet - yeah, pretty inappropriate and at least she had the sense to take it down quickly (and I am not sure I really approve of media members posting stuff that amateur college kids have thought better of leaving out there.) Seems like something was not all sweetness and light in her situation - she has been on a strange on again off again ride with ND.

I also found the hate directed from Bone toward the Miss State coach really strange - what was that about?!

The public airing of personal grievances is one of the really unpleasant aspects of social media.

Reaction Score
"The public airing of personal grievances is one of the really unpleasant aspects of social media."

Guess I'm old school and save mine up for Festivus.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Definitely ND was shooting a lot more threes early in the year when Taya and Turner initially were out - and they were hitting on an insane percentage - at one point I think it was at 56% shortly after the Uconn game - as the season went on and the 'return toward the mean' that generally pertains to any human endeavor took over the percentage steadily returned to the normal range for very good three point shooting teams - somewhere in the low 40s. A five out offense against a standard team with a center and power forward creates a lot more openings at the three point line. I actually was less worried about ND with Turner playing because it posed fewer match-up issues for Uconn in the NCAAs than what they experienced earlier in the year. It is the same reason why a DePaul can be so tricky for better teams or why Dayton was a little scary last year. An unusual offense can be harder to defend than a standard offense with better players because you practice and play all year against the standard kinds of offense.

On the Reimer tweet - yeah, pretty inappropriate and at least she had the sense to take it down quickly (and I am not sure I really approve of media members posting stuff that amateur college kids have thought better of leaving out there.) Seems like something was not all sweetness and light in her situation - she has been on a strange on again off again ride with ND.

I also found the hate directed from Bone toward the Miss State coach really strange - what was that about?!

The public airing of personal grievances is one of the really unpleasant aspects of social media.

what did I miss?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
is she really a HE or who is SHE... Bone transfer to TAMU not away from. Schaefer is a guy.

Is Bone mad that He left TAMU to go to MissU?
Sorry - I misstated. Kelsey Bone left South Carolina and transferred to TAMU while Schaefer was an assistant coach there. Yes he then left and became HC at Miss St. No one here seemed to know (or share) what her beef with him was, but apparently she holds a grudge.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Sorry - I misstated. Kelsey Bone left South Carolina and transferred to TAMU while Schaefer was an assistant coach there. Yes he then left and became HC at Miss St. No one here seemed to know (or share) what her beef with him was, but apparently she holds a grudge.
guess she thought he should have stayed at TAMU instead of going over to a rival (within the SEC)... I'm glad to see that she cheered for UConn tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom