Super Bowl | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In hind site it was a horrific call but Butler made a great play on the ball. That's kind of being lost in all the on Carroll (who is one smug SOB.)

Reaction Score
There is no logic for doing what they did. They had everything in their favor, the clock, time to run 3 plays with the greatest short yardage back in the NFL who would twist and turn his way in not 1 time but 3 times. Run don't make it, run again don't make it, time out run 4th down. But he would have scored 1st or 2nd shot. The pass in the middle only allows bad stuff to happen. A fade to the corner where only the receiver can catch it could maybe be explained, but even that is dumb. A pass in the middle of the field?!
Patriots get a gift, Brady and Bellicheck were crying on the sidelines. Carroll's "explanation" is a crock. He should just say "we effed up". Why the fight at the end? The Seahawk's players could not believe what their coaching staff called and they fought out of frustration, who could blame them? Had they not won last year there would have been a murder. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen in sports. Patriots win a game they were handed on a silver platter, and with what's to follow with the possible cheating, there is some diminishment and reason to worry for Pats fans, although they will take it and love it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Seahawk's players could not believe what their coaching staff called and they fought out of frustration, who could blame them?

I hope the team turns on Pete and the entire franchise gets thrust into chaos,

Reaction Score
It wasn't that complicated. Carroll overthought it. You're on the 1, 2nd down, 24 seconds left and 1 TO. Give the ball to Lynch and run the frickin' thing. Pats were gift-handed that game.

Reaction Score
I agree that they should have ran the ball but everyone makes it sound like Lynch was a lock to score a TD and that just isn't true.

Stats from the 1 yard line for Lynch:
This year Lynch rush: 5 Att, 1 TD
Career Lynch rush: 35 Att/15 TD (43%)/1 Fum (2.8%)

Reaction Score
"Bill Belichick not calling a TO was brilliant, because it prevented them from running 3 times. "

I agree and very much overlooked - eventhough - i doubt Lynch, the mute idiot, would have needed more than 1 attempt.
Love them or hate them - Belichek is a genius and Brady is so very very cool under pressure. Edelman can play for me ANY DAY.
UConn Mens BB needs a few like Edelman

Brady is very cool mostly under pressure but I believe he was under pressure on that first pick which he threw off his back foot falling backwards too wasn't he? I'm not so sure that was "very, very" cool maybe just "very" LOL

Reaction Score
Well worth the wait. Good game. The best team won as it always does. And the Patriots can now be celebrated as the greatest professional franchise of our generation. Why would you not be head-over-heals in love with this outcome?

America's team.

As far as the ball thing is concerned, the only people who will care about what follows, are the crazies and those who make money off of controversy. The rational people are moving on to next season. Pats are the team to beat again, right?

Reaction Score
Well worth the wait. Good game. The best team won as it always does. And the Patriots can now be celebrated as the greatest professional franchise of our generation. Why would you not be head-over-heals in love with this outcome?

America's team.

As far as the ball thing is concerned, the only people who will care about what follows, are the crazies and those who make money off of controversy. The rational people are moving on to next season. Pats are the team to beat again, right?

What generation you from?

Reaction Score
"Bill Belichick not calling a TO was brilliant, because it prevented them from running 3 times. "

I agree and very much overlooked - eventhough - i doubt Lynch, the mute idiot, would have needed more than 1 attempt.
Love them or hate them - Belichek is a genius and Brady is so very very cool under pressure. Edelman can play for me ANY DAY.
UConn Mens BB needs a few like Edelman
Belichick not calling TO was insanely stupid, there was 30 seconds and 1 TO left so you can still run the ball 3 times (0 chance it would have taken 3 times) from the 1 in that situation.

Reaction Score
There is no logic for doing what they did.
Of course there's a logic.

You don't have to agree with it (and I don't), but this isn't some absurd call.

Butler made an unbelievable play. If he doesn't--if he just breaks up instead of holding onto it--the Seahawks win and kick the ball back to New England with under 20 seconds left. But you can't undo the Butler play--just as you can't undo the Kearse drop earlier in the game that would have effectively ended the game, or the absurd Kearse catch that put the Seahawks in position to win.

Reaction Score
Belichick not calling TO was insanely stupid, there was 30 seconds and 1 TO left so you can still run the ball 3 times (0 chance it would have taken 3 times) from the 1 in that situation.
I agree that it was probably a stupid decision. My only logic: the Pats were only able to go underneath the whole game (almost no deep routes), so they probably couldn't get into field goal range. He must have figured that he'd rather go with his defense in that moment, rather than go against the best pass defense in the NFL.

I think it was a poor decision...but they won, so who cares (if you're a Pats fan).

Reaction Score
No ; not calling to was smart ; kept his run package in and it was all on the defense. No time left for Brady and offense. U roll the dice with the D that's all you got there.

Reaction Score
I agree that it was probably a stupid decision. My only logic: the Pats were only able to go underneath the whole game (almost no deep routes), so they probably couldn't get into field goal range. He must have figured that he'd rather go with his defense in that moment, rather than go against the best pass defense in the NFL.

I think it was a poor decision...but they won, so who cares (if you're a Pats fan).
I hear ya. I just think its crazy to eliminate the option of responding with a FG.

You never know what can happen, kick out of bounds like Carolina gifted Brady, or a player breaks a few tackles, as they had been, or a penalty. I honestly do not think getting into FG range with say 45 secs left is that big of a stretch (Seattle drove for a TD with 35 secs at the end of half).

Reaction Score
Jerry1714 said:
I hear ya. I just think its crazy to eliminate the option of responding with a FG. You never know what can happen, kick out of bounds like Carolina gifted Brady, or a player breaks a few tackles, as they had been, or a penalty. I honestly do not think getting into FG range with say 45 secs left is that big of a stretch (Seattle drove for a TD with 35 secs at the end of half).

And it is Brady we're talking about. It isn't like you go out there thinking you have no chance with him. I'd put my chances at 50/50 to get a field goal with Brady, Gronk And Edelman out there. They might not actually be that good, but I feel that way.

If Lynch had run the ball in or that INT was caught for a TD, the game was over with so little time left. The Pats may have surprised the Seahawks by not calling timeout and it may have worked out well, but I think I'll stick with the theory that both coaches stunk it up and Bill lucked out. He'd have been second guessed to death for standing there as the click wound down while Brady sat on the bench dumbfounded had they lost.

I love the Pats, but if Bill Belichek did all of that on purpose, he must have made a deal with the devil.

Reaction Score
] I honestly do not think getting into FG range with say 45 secs left is that big of a stretch (Seattle drove for a TD with 35 secs at the end of half).
At this stage in their respective careers, I think Wilson throws the deep ball better.

The Seattle secondary is also better than New England's...but Seattle has no one like Gronk, so perhaps it's roughly even.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Disagree, it was like the Battle of Cowpens. The message he gave his troops was that there was no retreat. They would have to fight for the victory.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Wow these threads are funny. For the record I will say I wanted Seattle to lose more than I wanted the Patriots to win (if that makes any sense). But there is very little room for arguments against a few things:
1) and most important, it was a stupid call. If you decide that you want to preserve a little clock to make sure you have three shots at the end zone - even though I think you can easily run it 3 times with the timeout - then line up under center and run play action to Lynch (obviously he's going to be the focus of the D) and run a bootleg where either Wilson can get the edge and walk in, or throw it to a back corner where only his player can get it or it's OOB. That results in a TD or stopped clock 99% of the time. Then run it - call a TO if necessary - then run it.
2) The play at the end of the first half being compared to the play at the end of the game is ridiculous. At worst if you don't get anything in the first half, you have only left 3 points on the field, not unlike NE leaving three with Brady's first INT. You have an entire half to account for those points. You can adjust the game plan for that. Most of the time you will still end up with three as there will be a second or two on the clock. Best case scenario is you get 7 and they did. But there as little downside to the call. There was huge downside to the pass play at the end of the game. You have no game time to make up for the decision. If it fails in the way it did, you're done and they were. One was bold and sensible not because it worked, but because of the ramifications if it didn't (the only really huge down side is a pick six which is unlikely, even though my Cardinals did exactly that in the Superbowl against Pitt and it cost them the game). The other is just not well thought out and simply the wrong call. There is no justification. There were so many better options.
3) NE not calling a time out is probably very smart. There wasn't a lot of chance of getting down the field against that defense for a FG. Most of NEs drives took a long time and were done 4 and 5 yards at a time and they didn't have that luxury anymore. The pass rush wasn't allowing deep routes and that would not have changed. It also made Seattle have to make quicker decisions as the clock wasn't stopped for them to fully evaluate the pros and cons and they fell into that trap and made a bad decision. It's not unlike pressing a team in basketball. You're going to get beat sometimes, but sometimes you are going to force bad decisions leading to your benefit. A timeout there by NE costs them the game 90% of the time.

I'm not a NE fan but I'm certainly not anti NE - they are one of my favorite AFC teams, but they were handed a gift. There's no way they should have come out of that game with the victory. If you are a Patriots fan and don't believe it was a gift, tell me how you were feeling when it was 2nd and goal from the 1 with 30 seconds left. You could see Brady on the sideline was resigned to defeat. You were too. It was a gift. An incredibly stupid call put the Patriots into legendary status - or further into legendary status.

Before anyone calls me a hater, I wanted NE to win, so there's no hate here. Personally I would have liked to see Brady and NE win it to make a stronger argument for best of all time instead of Seattle losing it and keeping the debate open.

Reaction Score
Disagree, it was like the Battle of Cowpens. The message he gave his troops was that there was no retreat. They would have to fight for the victory.
I do not care what the message was, it was a bad decision.

Reaction Score
If you are a Patriots fan and don't believe it was a gift, tell me how you were feeling when it was 2nd and goal from the 1 with 30 seconds left. You could see Brady on the sideline was resigned to defeat. You were too. It was a gift. An incredibly stupid call put the Patriots into legendary status - or further into legendary status.

Before anyone calls me a hater, I wanted NE to win, so there's no hate here. Personally I would have liked to see Brady and NE win it to make a stronger argument for best of all time instead of Seattle losing it and keeping the debate open.

Don't you mean at 30 seconds? At 1:30, every Patriots fan is thinking Brady will get the ball back.

At 30, it looks like a Seahawks victory.

Yeah the last play was a gift, but I don't think any Patriots fan thinks that's significant. For several reasons:

1. I firmly believe the Patriots were the better team. All night, you had inexplicable 50 yard passes to a guy who had never caught one before. Mind blowing. Whereas the Patriots drove the ball all game except for the 3rd qtr when they suddenly decided to run Blount into a brick wall.

2. The Kearse catch was as improbable as the crazy INT.

3. Malcolm Butler made that play happen, and even though only the Seahawks coaches had that crazy gotcha play planned, there was one other person in the stadium (likely the only other not wearing a Seattle uniform) who thought that that's where they were going, and he jumped the route, knocked the WR on his butt, and somehow held onto the ball. Gotta give him huge credit. He made a play he had no business making, even if it was the result of a very bad call.

4. I don't think anyone goes around saying the Giants weren't the better team during the Tyree year. Patriots have lost improbably, last night they won.

I honestly am not sheepish about the way they won it, not at all.

I should also mention that it's likely that both Belichick and Carroll were well aware that Lynch was 1 for 6 on 1 yard to goal runs this year. You run it there, you get stopped, then you have to call a timeout. That leaves 2 plays and no timeouts. The Patriots bring an extra DB into the game because they know you're passing it on 3rd down. AND, you're definitely not running an option on 3rd down with Wilson. If he gets blown up there, it's game over.

So, imagine, run on second down, 1 yard loss. Timeout. Pass on third down. Incomplete. Last play: run or pass or option.

Reaction Score
Personally I would have liked to see Brady and NE win it to make a stronger argument for best of all time instead of Seattle losing it and keeping the debate open.

It blows my mind that this is an actual thought being expressed by people.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow these threads are funny. For the record I will say I wanted Seattle to lose more than I wanted the Patriots to win (if that makes any sense). But there is very little room for arguments against a few things:
1) and most important, it was a stupid call. If you decide that you want to preserve a little clock to make sure you have three shots at the end zone - even though I think you can easily run it 3 times with the timeout - then line up under center and run play action to Lynch (obviously he's going to be the focus of the D) and run a bootleg where either Wilson can get the edge and walk in, or throw it to a back corner where only his player can get it or it's OOB. That results in a TD or stopped clock 99% of the time. Then run it - call a TO if necessary - then run it.
2) The play at the end of the first half being compared to the play at the end of the game is ridiculous. At worst if you don't get anything in the first half, you have only left 3 points on the field, not unlike NE leaving three with Brady's first INT. You have an entire half to account for those points. You can adjust the game plan for that. Most of the time you will still end up with three as there will be a second or two on the clock. Best case scenario is you get 7 and they did. But there as little downside to the call. There was huge downside to the pass play at the end of the game. You have no game time to make up for the decision. If it fails in the way it did, you're done and they were. One was bold and sensible not because it worked, but because of the ramifications if it didn't (the only really huge down side is a pick six which is unlikely, even though my Cardinals did exactly that in the Superbowl against Pitt and it cost them the game). The other is just not well thought out and simply the wrong call. There is no justification. There were so many better options.
3) NE not calling a time out is probably very smart. There wasn't a lot of chance of getting down the field against that defense for a FG. Most of NEs drives took a long time and were done 4 and 5 yards at a time and they didn't have that luxury anymore. The pass rush wasn't allowing deep routes and that would not have changed. It also made Seattle have to make quicker decisions as the clock wasn't stopped for them to fully evaluate the pros and cons and they fell into that trap and made a bad decision. It's not unlike pressing a team in basketball. You're going to get beat sometimes, but sometimes you are going to force bad decisions leading to your benefit. A timeout there by NE costs them the game 90% of the time.

I'm not a NE fan but I'm certainly not anti NE - they are one of my favorite AFC teams, but they were handed a gift. There's no way they should have come out of that game with the victory. If you are a Patriots fan and don't believe it was a gift, tell me how you were feeling when it was 2nd and goal from the 1 with 30 seconds left. You could see Brady on the sideline was resigned to defeat. You were too. It was a gift. An incredibly stupid call put the Patriots into legendary status - or further into legendary status.

It wasn't a gift bcause it was earned. If the Pats don't have that great comeback the don't have a lead to lose. I'd Butler doesn't make a great defensive play, it doesn't happen.

This is pretty much the same level of lameness as the people who discount or 2011 or 2014 championships because "we got hot. " Yes we did. That's what winning teams do the get hot at the right time and when the game is on the line they make great defensive plays.

Reaction Score
THERE ARE NO GIFTS AT THIS LEVEL OF FOOTBALL. ALL OF YOU SAYING THIS NEVER PLAYED THE GAME. YOUR ANALYTICAL PROCESS OF SITTING HIGH UP IN YOUR OFFICE AND SAYING THIS AND THAT IS NONSENSE. GAME IS ON THE FIELD WITH NO GUARANTEES THE BEAST GETS IN. FUNNY THAT ALL YOUR CRITIQUE IS ANTI PATRIOTS AND THEY WERE JUST HANDED A VICTORY. SOUND LIKE CUSE FANS LAST YEAR SAYING WE WEREN'T WORTHY WITH TWISTED IDEAS TO PROVE THEIR POINT. PATRIOT FANS REJOICE AND SCREW THE HATERS.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whereas the Patriots drove the ball all game except for the 3rd qtr when they suddenly decided to run Blount into a brick wall.

Blount doesn't show up for the big game. He wasn't hitting the hole, he was tap dancing.

Reaction Score
THERE ARE NO GIFTS AT THIS LEVEL OF FOOTBALL. ALL OF YOU SAYING THIS NEVER PLAYED THE GAME. YOUR ANALYTICAL PROCESS OF SITTING HIGH UP IN YOUR OFFICE AND SAYING THIS AND THAT IS NONSENSE. GAME IS ON THE FIELD WITH NO GUARANTEES THE BEAST GETS IN. FUNNY THAT ALL YOUR CRITIQUE IS ANTI PATRIOTS AND THEY WERE JUST HANDED A VICTORY. SOUND LIKE CUSE FANS LAST YEAR SAYING WE WEREN'T WORTHY WITH TWISTED IDEAS TO PROVE THEIR POINT. PATRIOT FANS REJOICE AND SCREW THE HATERS.
I can't hear you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC