Super Bowl | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of people would not make that catch in same circumstances
Probably every wide receiver in the league makes that catch, because it hit him in his hands, and there was no defender, and he was stationary.
The Seahawks didn't deserve to be in the Super Bowl, they were pulling stuff out of their asses the whole game, Russel Wilson is a massive choker, Lynch is now going to leave Seattle so the Seahawks have peaked, Carroll will forever be known as the greatest choking coach of all time, Brady is GOAT, Bellichick is GOAT.

My GOD! Can it get any worse for Pat haters?

Muhuhuhuhhahahhahahh.!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I really hope NE pays a price on the deflation now because they were absolutely gifted this.

Ain't gonna happen, Skeezix.

Reaction Score
I really hope NE pays a price on the deflation now because they were absolutely gifted this.
This is just stupid. The same mentality that the Seahawks used to get the touchdown with 6 seconds left in the 1st half is the same they used to throw the pic. You can't have one without the other. If they play more conservatively, then they get 3 in the first half instead of 7, and they have Lynch run at the end to tie, not win.

Feel the burn!

Reaction Score
Seattle's season kinda reminded me of our 89-90 season. I thought we had lost the Clemson game then we had the miracle Scott Burrell to Tate George shot (Seattle's Green Bay) . Then we were disappointed in the next game by Christian Laettner at the end. Live by the sword die by the sword.

Reaction Score
Yes, he's mad because his team won the Super Bowl. The same reason you are happy, because yours didn't.

I was using his idiotic statement (U mad bro) because he can't even call an amazing catch what it is. So upstater, was that just a ho hum everyday catch like he said?

Reaction Score
I just wanted to say...

Attachments

• image-3446228368.jpg
    image-3446228368.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 62
Reaction Score
Some of you have played football , some of you haven't and the guys that have played high school, college semi pro or whatever know there are no gifts at this level especially. Dumb calls yes but no gifts , Butler had to make the play and he did. Pat haters will but there spin on the game "of course" but patriot nation wanted this one bad and shove this up your ass.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The same mentality that the Seahawks used to get the touchdown with 6 seconds left in the 1st half is the same they used to throw the pic. You can't have one without the other. If they play more conservatively, then they get 3 in the first half instead of 7, and they have Lynch run at the end to tie, not win.

I think this is true generally in terms of the gambler mentality that it took to go for seven instead of three at the end of the first half. No question I would have gone for three in that spot, but I can see the upside to the gamble there and it wasn't that crazy. That final play was apparently intended to be a surprise, but there really was little upside to justify the gamble there imo. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I thought the first half gamble was bold and the final play gamble was reckless.

Reaction Score
Some of you have played football , some of you haven't and the guys that have played high school, college semi pro or whatever know there are no gifts at this level especially. Dumb calls yes but no gifts , Butler had to make the play and he did. Pat haters will but there spin on the game "of course" but patriot nation wanted this one bad and shove this up your ass.

Agree so I can now expect all my Pats fans friends up here to stop with the "but David Tyree..." crap!

Reaction Score
but I thought the first half gamble was bold and the final play gamble was reckless.
If they had thrown an incomplete pass and run out of time in the 1st half, and then completed the pass at the end, would you then have said the first was reckless and the second bold?

The had 30 seconds, 1 time out, 1 yard to go. They were coming out of a time out.

They should have done this, with the first two plays scripted:

Run Lynch.
If no TD, line up quickly and throw an option pass roll out of some kind.
If no, Time Out.
Run Lynch.

Bill Belichick not calling a TO was brilliant, because it prevented them from running 3 times.

Reaction Score
If they had thrown an incomplete pass and run out of time in the 1st half, and then completed the pass at the end, would you then have said the first was reckless and the second bold?

The had 30 seconds, 1 time out, 1 yard to go. They were coming out of a time out.

They should have done this, with the first two plays scripted:

Run Lynch.
If no TD, line up quickly and throw an option pass roll out of some kind.
If no, Time Out.
Run Lynch.

Bill Belichick not calling a TO was brilliant, because it prevented them from running 3 times.
You are correct and widely over looked. Also the cadence call on the one yard line to pull the the Hawks off side was brilliant.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

No. I called the 1st half play bold before I knew the result. It was a gamble, but it was calculated. The upside was four points and a tie, which was huge. The downside was running out of time and giving up the sure three. But there was a reasonably good chance that the incomplete pass would have left enough time to get the three anyway, so it wasn't reckless imo. Again, I would have been more conservative there, but I don't think it was reckless.

The last play call was just plain dumb imo, whether it worked or not.

Reaction Score
the incomplete pass would have left enough time to get the three anyway
The Defender was 1/2 second late getting to the ball - if Ryan gets there a bit earlier, no score at all. And, as we saw later, there's the chance for an INT or fumble.

It's easy to apply the labels "bold" and "reckless" in hindsight. I go with Bold for both or Reckless for both.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Defender was 1/2 second late getting to the ball - if Ryan gets there a bit earlier, no score at all. And, as we saw later, there's the chance for an INT or fumble.

It's easy to apply the labels "bold" and "reckless" in hindsight. I go with Bold for both or Reckless for both.
I understand that hindsight is all we have now. I would not have taken either risk, but I don't think that makes them both reckless. I could have been talked into the first half play and my buddy and I talked about it before we knew the result, because it was not a surprise once they kept the offense on the field. "Bold" was one of several terms we used; "big balls" was another. But we both acknowledged that we would have taken the sure three instead. As I noted though, there were good arguments to consider taking that risk--it just bucked conventional wisdom.

Other than the element of surprise, I really don't see any justification for the final play risk. And the only reason you can say it's a surprise is because it's so stupid that no one should consider doing it. I heard some suggest that it was designed to waste time, but that only makes sense to me if you count on an incomplete pass. A completed pass there means an immediate TD and giving the Pats more time than you would presumably eat by pounding it up the middle for a few plays and using your time out if needed to stop the clock. If you are planning on an incomplete pass, you don't throw it over the middle. I just don't see any set of circumstances under which I could be talked into making that call in that spot. Too much risk and not enough reward imo.

So I guess I disagree with your premise that they are a package deal with equal risk/reward. Although I wouldn't have made either choice, I think there are plenty of people who would make the first half call, and I don't think there are very many who would have made the second--not just in hindsight.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You're a pats fan am I right?

Not taketh/ giveth at all.

More like

Great catch/ stupidest coaching decision ever.

Not a Pats fan here - Giants

But I agree - Taketh/giveth to the nth degree - no great catch, shear and utter luck it stayed off the ground. It was a great defensive play to break it up to start

You are obviously a Pats hater

CONGRATS TO THE PATS - from a Giants fan

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the amount of salt coming from Giants fans today you can cover every inch of sidewalk in Foxborough

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
"Bill Belichick not calling a TO was brilliant, because it prevented them from running 3 times. "

I agree and very much overlooked - eventhough - i doubt Lynch, the mute idiot, would have needed more than 1 attempt.
Love them or hate them - Belichek is a genius and Brady is so very very cool under pressure. Edelman can play for me ANY DAY.
UConn Mens BB needs a few like Edelman

Reaction Score
You are an idiot, he stayed with the ball and made the catch. How come Pats fans call everyone a hater (like teenage girls do) when other fans don't kiss the Pats .

You want to know what luck is, the Pats winning this game.

You mad bro?
Right. Butler's INT was "luck". God, is this what I sounded like when I was part of this group of anti-Pats ? Just shoot me, please.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I understand that hindsight is all we have now. I would not have taken either risk, but I don't think that makes them both reckless. I could have been talked into the first half play and my buddy and I talked about it before we knew the result, because it was not a surprise once they kept the offense on the field. "Bold" was one of several terms we used; "big balls" was another. But we both acknowledged that we would have taken the sure three instead. As I noted though, there were good arguments to consider taking that risk--it just bucked conventional wisdom.

Other than the element of surprise, I really don't see any justification for the final play risk. And the only reason you can say it's a surprise is because it's so stupid that no one should consider doing it. I heard some suggest that it was designed to waste time, but that only makes sense to me if you count on an incomplete pass. A completed pass there means an immediate TD and giving the Pats more time than you would presumably eat by pounding it up the middle for a few plays and using your time out if needed to stop the clock. If you are planning on an incomplete pass, you don't throw it over the middle. I just don't see any set of circumstances under which I could be talked into making that call in that spot. Too much risk and not enough reward imo.

So I guess I disagree with your premise that they are a package deal with equal risk/reward. Although I wouldn't have made either choice, I think there are plenty of people who would make the first half call, and I don't think there are very many who would have made the second--not just in hindsight.
My big thing about the end of 2nd quarter TD was why the Pats didn't chuck the receivers at the LOS. That would have killed that surgically timed play.

Reaction Score
gtcam said:
Edelman can play for me ANY DAY.
UConn Mens BB needs a few like Edelman

Yeah I think anyone would well except for maybe Hitler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom