Sunday (3/10) games | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Sunday (3/10) games

Reaction Score
Did I hear that right? Vic bragging about McCowan's 2.67 GPA? Is a B- really something to boast about?

No, it's because she was a grade risk to take on, and some people thought she might not qualify. From what he's said before, I get the feeling she struggles academically.

As far as leaving the starters in, he's actually criticized himself about that before and said he's never been good at feeling comfortable with a lead. I think it's excessive, but I don't think he's doing it to be a jerk. I have no idea about the Neighbors handshake, but they are both Gary Blair disciples and have been friends a long time. So hopefully not too many hard feelings, but that Arkansas team played their guts out and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Because his team just got thumped?
Or because rather than running clock in the last 90 seconds with a 25-point lead, MSU shot quick 3's to run up the score and rub it in.

Plebe

Reaction Score
No, it's because she was a grade risk to take on, and some people thought she might not qualify. From what he's said before, I get the feeling she struggles academically.

As far as leaving the starters in, he's actually criticized himself about that before and said he's never been good at feeling comfortable with a lead. I think it's excessive, but I don't think he's doing it to be a jerk. I have no idea about the Neighbors handshake, but they are both Gary Blair disciples and have been friends a long time. So hopefully not too many hard feelings, but that Arkansas team played their guts out and have nothing to be ashamed of.
I didn't mean the question to sound mean, and I realize it might have and for that I'm sorry. For many players (or just people in general) who struggle academically, a 2.67 is a great accomplishment. I think the job Vic has done with McCowan, both on the court and off, is truly outstanding. She was no All-American coming out of Brenham High School, but she's a NPOY candidate now.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Great tournament BULLDOGS. I know it's Arkansas, but still.... we played SC twice this year already, so we mostly gave the outsider fans what they wanted to see. Not our fault SC bit the dust.

I don't understand the complaints or random-picking of our team from fans of other teams.

Reaction Score

I remember when she was a senior there were questions about why she didn’t have more offers. She didn’t commit on signing day and I believe she was supposed to go play for Jamelle Elliot at Cincy before deciding to go to Miss State. I hadn’t heard the qualification concerns, but it makes sense in hindsight.

As a teacher, you’re often proudest of the kids you helped vs the ones where the best you did was get out of the way and not screw them up. Vic and Johnie Harris were both at A&M for at least one similar situation with Danielle Gant.

Reaction Score
I didn't mean the question to sound mean, and I realize it might have and for that I'm sorry. For many players (or just people in general) who struggle academically, a 2.67 is a great accomplishment. I think the job Vic has done with McCowan, both on the court and off, is truly outstanding. She was no All-American coming out of Brenham High School, but she's a NPOY candidate now.

No worries!

Reaction Score
She played phenomenal this 2nd half she didn't play well earlier, glad she got back into groove, MSU will need that in the NCAAT. Wasn't trying to knock the kid. Like I said in an earlier post. If she can start playing with consistency its gonna be really good for Miss St. She has proven she can be a game changer offensively with her shooting, its all a matter of piecing together that consistency. She should be very proud of the way she played in the 2nd half, she hustled as well on defense.

Holmes with 12 assists to 1 turnover

How about Scott off the bench?
With Andi it is all about confidence, no doubt she has a great stroke and when she shoots in motion it usually goes in but she appears to me to be reluctant to shoot in games where the score is close. I have seen her pass up wide open shots to make a really hard pass. Today, she was shooting even when closely guarded and she appeared to know it was going in the basket. I can understand how a coach could become frustrated with her because she is so talented if she just had confidence in her talent!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ok.... i'll interrupt the WCBB talk for one post. On the Men's side.. In the Big South... Garner Webb (my bulldogs) are going to the Tourney for the first time in school history. They beat the #1 seed Campbell... on Campbell's home court... then today beat Defending Champ and #2 seed Radford at Radford. Men or women.... i love to see schools get their first tourney bid.

In the Missouri Valley...... Bradley was trailing 27-15 at the half... and by 18 with 17 minutes to go. They ended up winning over UNI 57-54 for their first bid in 13 years.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ok.... i'll interrupt the WCBB talk for one post. On the Men's side.. In the Big South... Garner Webb (my bulldogs) are going to the Tourney for the first time in school history. They beat the #1 seed Campbell... on Campbell's home court... then today beat Defending Champ and #2 seed Radford at Radford. Men or women.... i love to see schools get their first tourney bid.

In the Missouri Valley. Bradley was trailing 27-15 at the half... and by 18 with 17 minutes to go. They ended up winning over UNI 57-54 for their first bid in 13 years.
Wait.... forgive me but trying to keep up with all of "your teams" is a full time job :) So you have two teams in the Big South? High Point and Gardner Webb? Or are there more?

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
As this have been said already. We have only 10 available players. Howard, Holmes, McCowan, Danberry, and Scott were all relieved at the 3:30 mark. Vic would've gone with Nyah Tate over leaving AEH out there, but Tate has a foot injury and is out for the year. Andra Espinoza-Hunter was the only one left to sub.

Vic Schaefer was not trying to dial up the scoreboard. Andra Espinoza-Hunter was just hot. You can bash her for taking garbage time 3s, but if she was trying to look pretty... why not?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Baylor is laying another huge beatdown on K-State, up 30 early in 4Q. Mulkey has 5 bench players on the court right now.

Reaction Score
Ok.... i'll interrupt the WCBB talk for one post. On the Men's side.. In the Big South... Garner Webb (my bulldogs) are going to the Tourney for the first time in school history.

Wait.... forgive me but trying to keep up with all of "your teams" is a full time job :) So you have two teams in the Big South? High Point and Gardner Webb? Or are there more?

It's kinda like how George HW Bush used to claim like 13 different areas as his "home" state. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And one of those options was to leave her on the court to hit 8 3’s. It was nice to see the one who shall not be named with a big smile on her face.

Again, if she makes the open 3's, she stays on the court.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Ha.... actually Garner Webb was my #3 school to root for in the Big South tourney.... I wanted Campbell to win because I wanted Chris Clemons a chance to perform on the national stage. If not them.... I wanted HPU to win... cause thats a local squad that has never been to the NCAAs. Wouldnt you know.... Garner Webb beat them both in the tourney.

Yes.. there are more. Rule of thumb.... if its a North Carolina school that doesnt play in the ACC... I'll adopt them as "my "team. :cool:

Reaction Score
I am so pumped for the NCAAT, they got a good group of 7-8 teams who all can make a legit run for that title.

The parity is exciting for sure.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Another really, really sad injury to report:

With Villanova trailing Georgetown by 7 under 50 seconds to play in their Big East quarterfinal, Kelly Jekot goes down with a knee injury when she tries to pull up on a drive. The play had ACL written all over it. :(

Georgetown advances to play Marquette, who blew out St. John's earlier.

With the loss, any tiny sliver of hope that Villanova had for a bid was ended. But clearly they're more concerned about the injury to Jekot. Her teammates on the bench were borderline distraught. :oops:

Reaction Score
AEH was a starter in this game, was she not?

They may be great friends but Neighbors was clearly not in a friendly mood at the moment.
Last year Baylor had a short bench and would put in the team managers to finish out blowout wins. Just saying...there are other options

Reaction Score
I am so pumped for the NCAAT, they got a good group of 7-8 teams who all can make a legit run for that title.

I totally agree. Many UConn fans understandably want the old reality to pertain indefinitely. This is much more exciting. Hope it fills lots of arenas.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Ha... I read that too fast... I thought you were saying you were pumped for NCA&T. My aggies are 16-0 in the MEAC and looking to win the tourney for a second straight year. @Plebe I can legimately call them my aggies...as their campus is here in Greensboro

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ha... I read that too fast... I thought you were saying you were pumped for NCA&T. My aggies are 16-0 in the MEAC and looking to win the tourney for a second straight year. @Plebe I can legimately call them my aggies...as their campus is here in Greensboro
Ha it's all good. You can have as many teams as you like. Not being so tunnel vision on a single team can really help this time of year :)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I may be in the minority... but other than the ACC tourney... my favorite WCBB tourney's mens and womens are the mid-majors. So after today... its a big lull until next weekend in terms of WCBB tourneys that I care about....... with a few exceptions.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Iowa State up 20-9 over Texas late in 1st quarter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom