Still No Show of Support for HCBD? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Still No Show of Support for HCBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going on record as stating I am not bashing Geno. If anything I said is in anyway construed that way, I ask you to reconstrue. Dude is a stud at what he does.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If UConn gets a new HC or when BD hires a new OC that person must have a proven track record of putting points on the board. BD is a D coach. His idea of a great game is a 10-3win. A school like UConn that's looking for a p5 invite needs to be more entertaining. We need an offensive mind that can put 30 points on the board. If you score it people will come Ray, people will most definitely come (some love for James Earl Jones). We need to poach an OC from a high scoring team. Personally, I'd fire BD because I think it would be more enticing for an up and coming OC to take the head coaching job.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
I'll throw the first name out there. This guy will want the HC job. Check out the Wikipedia page on Darrin Chiaverini, co-OC at Colorado.

Reaction Score
I'll throw the first name out there. This guy will want the HC job. Check out the Wikipedia page on Darrin Chiaverini, co-OC at Colorado.
@QDOG5 Setting aside many names previously tossed out as prospective OC candidates and a single season's success as Co-OC at CA-native Chiaverini's alma mater, what compelling facts suggest he would be 1) interested, 2) have much, or even any, recruiting experience in what are, or should be, highly targeted areas for UConn (e.g., FL, FL, FL, GA, all Mid-Atlantic, Ohio, etc.), 3) would give up P5 dollars, 4) would want to move a wife and children across country only 1 year after departing as Texas Tech's Special Team's coordinator, 5) would view the risk-reward of an opportunity with a struggling HC as a positive, 6) the likelihood David Benedict's definitely driving the OC hiring, 7) # 6 + views a prospective OC as the next HC in waiting, 8) Benedict would be interested in a coach with only 1 single year of shared OC-experience, etc.? http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1058&path=football
http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1058&path=football
Chiaverini's CO bio

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Setting aside many names previously tossed out as prospective OC candidates and a single season's success as Co-OC at CA-native Chiaverini's alma mater, what compelling facts suggest he would be 1) interested, 2) have much, or even any, recruiting experience in what are, or should be, highly targeted areas for UConn (e.g., FL, FL, FL, GA, all Mid-Atlantic, Ohio, etc.), 3) would give up P5 dollars, 4) would want to move a wife and children across country only 1 year after departing as Texas Tech's Special Team's coordinator, 5) would view the risk-reward of an opportunity with a struggling HC as a positive, 6) the likelihood David Benedict's definitely driving the OC hiring, 7) # 6 + views a prospective OC as the next HC in waiting, 8) Benedict would be interested in a coach with only 1 single year of shared OC-experience, etc.?
Chiaverini's CO bio

It's unfair to ask people for "compelling facts" supporting personal decisions like "interest", or desire "to move a wife and children...", or their take on the "risk-reward of an opportunity".

That said, and this isn't specific to any name that's been thrown out, but I believe if Benedict takes over the decision process (which could be the reason we aren't hearing anything), then it isn't impossible to find a current P5 OC whose resume (past recruiting areas) makes sense for UConn to be interested in. It would be difficult to get them to the same position at a lower level. But if Benedict could come to an agreement that they will be his next choice for HC, and if the incentives in the contract are such that he gets paid for how the offense performs (rather than the team results), then it's possible. Is there evidence Benedict is driving it, or would agree to an potential HC in waiting situation? No. But there isn't any evidence of what Benedict prefers. It's all speculation.

We'll probably end up with someone from his coaching tree, which hasn't worked so far, and Diaco is canned sometime between 12/1/16 and 1/3/17.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The new OC had better know how to develop QBs.

Reaction Score
It is now December 15. I think at this point, the lack of a statement of (false) support says it all. Either he will be fired in January, or Benedict has until then to raise a certain amount of money and whether he is fired or not will depend on how much Benedict raises.

It is beyond my comprehension that we wouldn't have clearly stated he gets another year by now if in fact he was getting another year.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
It's unfair to ask people for "compelling facts" supporting personal decisions like "interest", or desire "to move a wife and children...", or their take on the "risk-reward of an opportunity".

That said, and this isn't specific to any name that's been thrown out, but I believe if Benedict takes over the decision process (which could be the reason we aren't hearing anything), then it isn't impossible to find a current P5 OC whose resume (past recruiting areas) makes sense for UConn to be interested in. It would be difficult to get them to the same position at a lower level. But if Benedict could come to an agreement that they will be his next choice for HC, and if the incentives in the contract are such that he gets paid for how the offense performs (rather than the team results), then it's possible. Is there evidence Benedict is driving it, or would agree to an potential HC in waiting situation? No. But there isn't any evidence of what Benedict prefers. It's all speculation.

We'll probably end up with someone from his coaching tree, which hasn't worked so far, and Diaco is canned sometime between 12/1/16 and 1/3/17.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
I'm just trying to get a little UConn hot stove league going. I firmly believe no P5 OC or co-OC will come to UConn as anything but the head coach. And I threw out Chiaverini just to try and stoke the stove. I would put the odds of him being at UConn next at 1/100. I do think that UConn is appealing to P5 coordinators looking to become head coaches but not as a lateral moves. There are many bright offensive minds that we have never heard of. Art Briles and Gus Malzahn were high school coaches before moving to P5 college programs. UConn games this year were so bad and the O so boring I'm just lobbying for someone to keep the fans interested and our overall P5 desires alive and I believe the best way to do it is scoring some points. How about ASU OC Chip Lindsey? He and Benedict both have ASU and Auburn backgrounds.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the important thing in attracting a new coach is to clear communicate that BD isn't getting fired for his lack of wins (though that is a major factor) as much as it is his bat-crap crazy approach to running the program. If BD didn't have all this self created baggage, we'd still be mad but a fourth season allowing a full turnover of players from the last regime would be a sellable point of view.

Reaction Score

Or bring a QB coach along wuth him that can.

If you are talking about making changes to the offensive coaching staff..let's start with the real issue there besides the OC..the OL. I agree with both of you that we need a QB coach also.

Reaction Score
How about ASU OC Chip Lindsey?

As discussed in another thread in a discussion about potential OC names and B1G/ACC OC's salaries - you need to be ready pay for them - they are pricey.

Lindsey is @ $650k +/-. I would doubt he comes east for less than that. I understand that you get what you pay for but you need to find that money first. ASU's Assistant Coach salary pool is just under $3.3m. UConn's is just about $1.9m for the 9 positions.

Reaction Score
Perhaps more telling than a lack of a DB statement supporting HCBD is the fact that we have heard of no staff departures yet. Unless I missed a memo that is. If HCBD is still in charge, you'd think that some departures would have been announced by now. Yes, no?

Reaction Score
Except that I believe that assistant contracts run until 12/31. So departures might not happen until then. Plus they are in the midst of recruiting so you don't want someone who's recruiting to go in he middle.

Reaction Score
Watching other programs that have a system and run plays that set up other plays you realize how we are lacking on the offensive side of the ball coaching wise. Going back to the well and throwing a wideout screen to get Noel blasted on his last play here shows the lack of thought in our offensive game planning. Tulane had never seen that play before.:rolleyes: Having someone come on board with the ability to improve the QB play is a must. Until we have the best QB on the field more often than not we are going to be right at the bottom of the conference. The O-line is part of the equation but we had chances in games this year that were missed too often even with our porous O-line, when given time the QB missed receivers who could have scored. I don't think any statement has been made by the AD because Diaco is on the clock, he knows it and he is being given the chance to make things right. We are just on to 2017.

Reaction Score
Leadership 101, if you're keeping the clown, is get out in front of it and project support for the HC to tamp down the restless natives. It's simply impossible for the Admin not to know people are pissed off and have had enough. The lack of clarity in absolute support undermines recruiting and internal dynamics of the program. So, we can only conclude:
(a) he is being removed after Jan 1., or
(b) the Admin is precisely as incompetent as many speculate and don't know how to handle public relations, or
(c) they literally don't give 2 shiites about the fan base and think they can just walk all over it.

Time will tell, but each day in hiding makes them look worse.

Reaction Score
Trouble is developing a QB in college is a little late. He should have some tools and more importantly solid instincts before he gets on campus. I've seen some freshmen QBs play for some P5 programs this year and I just say wtf, why can't the HUSKIES get one of these guys. After all, if you are good you don't have to fight for playing time. Cream will rise to the top. PPGDL really screwed the pooch on the Legow kid. I saw him at the open practice before he left UCONN and he wasn't really given a chance even though he was more physically gifted than the competition. I know he has had a roundabout journey to get to Indiana. But he was ours so to speak. Now who wants to step into this mess. Sure a solid OC can help but only time will tell. Let's hope it doesn't take that much time. I'm too old to have to wait around for the present Coach/Administration to get moving. Maybe when 1/1 rolls around I will presently surprised. Hope So. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
The funny thing is the PP/GDL regime seemed to be building depth at QB. They inherited Nebrich, but ran him off and he proved to be very good at Fordham. Huge mistake. They brought in Cochrane and Whitmer in 2012 and Lagow, Boyle, and Taylor in 2013. There was some talent among that group as Cochrane played well in his short time, Lagow starts for Indiana, and Whitmer was serviceable. This is the greatest failing of the Diaco era, not bringing in multiple HS QBs per year as some pan out an some don't. In four recruiting classes so far, he has 3 HS QBs plus Shirreffs and Anderson. In my opinion, that is not enough. I think we need to add a transfer QB and/or another HS QB to this class.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the other possibility is the status quo, inertia. They are saying nothing because they are doing nothing.

This sounds about right. SH is just quietly hoping that Benedict figures it out and Benedict is quietly hoping that Diaco Bob pulls a rabbit out of the hat and hires an OC who quickly molds the players we have into a respectable offensive unit. In the meantime Diaco is having no luck finding anyone worth a damn who wants the job, given Diaco's offensive philosophy, micromanagement style and the even weaker roster we will have in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom