Still No Show of Support for HCBD? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Still No Show of Support for HCBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Two all world hires: Geno and JC
One very good hire: Edsall

How many of the people that were involved in Edsall, let alone, Geno and JC are even in a position to make decisions?

Let's not forget for instensive purposes JC hired KO too.

UConn had no idea that Geno would have the success that he has had - JC, yes they knew he had some credentials - RE - same as JC[/QUOTE]
Does anyone hire a coach and say, yeah this guy is gonna coach us to 11 NC's.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Geno rode on Gampel and the Men's rise. He got a nice facility and went from there. It wa much harder for JC. I was at the Field House at girls games in 85 in front of grandpa and grandma and parents at chick games. Yawn. Geno rode Gampel and the rise of men's hoop in Storrs.
He rode Calhoun's coattails and that is fact.

Reaction Score
Let's see what happens. There will be good coming out of this year. It might be a sloppy next year but that's rebuilding. We shouldn't even really have to rebuild but the last coaching hires are killing football

Reaction Score
Have Benedict and the University really said nothing publicly about Bobby's job? They can't possibly keep him after leaving him in limbo this long. If he is the guy than they would come out and say that he is the guy, unless these people have never taken any leadership or organizational behavior 101 classes before - which I find hard to believe considering how much money they all get paid.

Or they just think we are all lemming morons who are going to continue to send our money to the Athletic Department no matter the outcome. I have a feeling that we are going to see a lot of Groupon offers for UConn season tickets next year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It doesn't make a lot of sense to speak publicly about the program right now. It would only uspet the season ticket holders and rehash the failure of this season. Everyone else would ignore it.

Talk when you have something positive to say. If DB thinks there is enough developing talent or whatever pixie dust might turn this around then that is his call to own.

If he is waiting for signing day, the buyout reduction, or the next coach to come available, then we will know at the appropriate time.

I think he has someone lined up who isn't bound by the calendar and is waiting for signing day. No info, just that the alternative is so desperate.

Reaction Score
If they are keeping him, for whatever reason that may be, the continued silence is an indictment on him by the administration and a clear message that he does not have a "vote of confidence" or whatever phrasing they'd be forced to use in a public statement. They won't come out and publicly bash him or dam him with faint praise, it'd be a terrible precedent to set here. Silence is their best move in the bind they're in if they are indeed keeping him. It'd also be the best move to make were they considering firing him on 1/1/17.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn had no idea that Geno would have the success that he has had -
That's an understatement. The Geno hire is the equivalent of trying to bunt to get on base and having the ball soar over the centerfield bleachers for a homer.

Agree regarding JC and Edsall. There were good coaches. Both proved to be better than expectations, Calhoun monstrously so.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My thought is that Benedict hasn't made a public statement of support because it's more destabilizing than it is reassuring. They want to make the impression that no public assertion of support is necessary. When those things become necessary, a fired coach always follows suit.

I think this is right on the money. Circumstantial as it might be, all evidence points to Diaco getting a 4th year. He's under contract until 2019, which therefore dictates that the expected outcome is Diaco will be head coach in '17.

I guess my question to those demanding a public statement is: To what end? How does Benedict or the Athletic department benefit by giving Diaco a vote of confidence? I don't think we'll hear anything out of UConn outside a change in status quo. i.e. Verducci's demotion...err...reassignment...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Geno rode on Gampel and the Men's rise. He got a nice facility and went from there. It wa much harder for JC. I was at the Field House at girls games in 85 in front of grandpa and grandma and parents at chick games. Yawn. Geno rode Gampel and the rise of men's hoop in Storrs.
He rode Calhoun's coattails and that is fact.
Not true. He went to the Final Four with pieces he put into place before Gampel opened. He would have been a success anywhere. The headwinds from the men's team helped make the team a phenomenon, but Geno had already put the program in a position to capitalize.

Reaction Score
Not true. He went to the Final Four with pieces he put into place before Gampel opened. He would have been a success anywhere. The headwinds from the men's team helped make the team a phenomenon, but Geno had already put the program in a position to capitalize.
Amazing anyone could think that.

Reaction Score
If they are keeping him, for whatever reason that may be, the continued silence is an indictment on him by the administration and a clear message that he does not have a "vote of confidence" or whatever phrasing they'd be forced to use in a public statement. They won't come out and publicly bash him or dam him with faint praise, it'd be a terrible precedent to set here. Silence is their best move in the bind they're in if they are indeed keeping him. It'd also be the best move to make were they considering firing him on 1/1/17.
I am puzzled why Benedict hasn't said anything, but a "vote of confidence" is the kiss of death for a coach.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo decided to go to UConn over BC - that brought Geno over the top
Yes he did have very competitive teams before Lobo but from the day she walked onto campus and beyond he has gone over the top
The guy does know how to coach and motivate

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn had no idea that Geno would have the success that he has had - JC, yes they knew he had some credentials - RE - same as JC
Does anyone hire a coach and say, yeah this guy is gonna coach us to 11 NC's.[/QUOTE]
UConn had no idea that Geno would have the success that he has had - JC, yes they knew he had some credentials - RE - same as JC
Does anyone hire a coach and say, yeah this guy is gonna coach us to 11 NC's.[/QUOTE]

Do you think Michigan hired Harbough because they think he can win them NCs?
So yes some do BUT I did say UConn had no idea SO you made my point

Reaction Score
I am puzzled why Benedict hasn't said anything, but a "vote of confidence" is the kiss of death for a coach.
Leadership 101, if you're keeping the clown, is get out in front of it and project support for the HC to tamp down the restless natives. It's simply impossible for the Admin not to know people are pissed off and have had enough. The lack of clarity in absolute support undermines recruiting and internal dynamics of the program. So, we can only conclude:
(a) he is being removed after Jan 1., or
(b) the Admin is precisely as incompetent as many speculate and don't know how to handle public relations, or
(c) they literally don't give 2 shiites about the fan base and think they can just walk all over it.

Time will tell, but each day in hiding makes them look worse.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

And don't forget about the significant contribution Chris Dailey made in building the program. She single handedly created the original fanbase for the team starting from zero. She forced her students to attend the games to gain extra course credits.

Reaction Score
Does anyone hire a coach and say, yeah this guy is gonna coach us to 11 NC's.

Do you think Michigan hired Harbough because they think he can win them NCs?
So yes some do BUT I did say UConn had no idea SO you made my point[/QUOTE]
Come on, I've a sarcastic bone. Your comment just struck me as funny, not wrong. Yes, I think Michigan expects to win NC's under the current regime. If, however, he wins 11 they will rename the school and possibly the state Harbaugh.

Reaction Score
Something is up with the formatting when quoting and replying. Is this just happening to me or is everyone seeing it?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

If we put the same team on the field that ND State does, we'd certainly be .500 at least in conference. FCS or not, ND State is good. A friend of mine's son is redshirting there right now. He had interest from several Big XII schools, plus a few G5.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Love the Geno bashing. He is better at what he does than basically anyone in the world is at what they do.
No way man. Geno had nothing to do with it. It was all Calhoun. Simply by being on the same campus Geno and the women's program were imbued with Jim Calhoun awesomeness. Their success is all about being in proximity to JC.

Reaction Score
If we put the same team on the field that ND State does, we'd certainly be .500 at least in conference. FCS or not, ND State is good. A friend of mine's son is redshirting there right now. He had interest from several Big XII schools, plus a few G5.

With our coach or with their coach? I'm pretty sure with our coach and their players we'd get steamrolled and then the issue would be blamed on our players being too small.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn has gotten the best coaches in basketball when it was needed and helped grow the overall program into a national program from a regional.
Losing Edsall really hurt the program at the wrong time and put UConn where there at now. I put the blame at the feet of Hathaway completely for his screw up's with Edsall and Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom