Still No Show of Support for HCBD? | The Boneyard

Still No Show of Support for HCBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Each day that goes by since our embarassing end of season loss to Tulane without a formal show of support for HCBD from the administration harms recruiting and searching for the right OC. At this point, unless our entire University is incompetent (and I don't think it is), it is not plausible that they just "haven't gotten around to it yet."

So there would seem to be two other possibilities. One is that he is going to be let go immediately upon the New Year, and the other is that Benedict or others are trying to raise a certain amount of money by 1/1 to buy the contract out, and at that point a decision will be made.

Are there any other possibilities? Has anyone heard of donors getting calls for a special contribution?

Reaction Score
The other possibility is that there is just a hands off policy. Diaco will be back but on the shortest of short leashes with zero confidence from the administration. He will bring in some new staff and reassign others and will be on the clock because Benedict thinks in the long run firing 2 successive coaches in under 4 years makes getting someone new difficult. Let's face it. Replacing Diaco on 1/1/17 or 11/30 doesn't save much and with a pretty good home slate next year Missouri and BC they are willing to risk modest crowds.

Reaction Score
Each day that goes by since our embarassing end of season loss to Tulane without a formal show of support for HCBD from the administration harms recruiting and searching for the right OC. At this point, unless our entire University is incompetent (and I don't think it is), it is not plausible that they just "haven't gotten around to it yet."

So there would seem to be two other possibilities. One is that he is going to be let go immediately upon the New Year, and the other is that Benedict or others are trying to raise a certain amount of money by 1/1 to buy the contract out, and at that point a decision will be made.

Are there any other possibilities? Has anyone heard of donors getting calls for a special contribution?

Honestly, if I were the AD I would remain silent as well. Too many unknowns for what the reactions/headlines will be. When an AD makes a formal show of support, that's pretty much an admission that is hitting the fan. To illustrate this to the farthest end of the spectrum (of course without making a comparison), you don't see the Alabama AD coming out and formally showing his support for Nick Saban. The contract extension that the AD gave HCBD in May is probably the strongest show of support even after the horrid season. Hard to come in as a new AD and then immediately bail on one of your first big decisions (right or wrong). The next big piece of evidence is allowing HCBD to conduct the OC search. If you're going to be firing the guy on January 2nd, you wouldn't let him go out and hire such an important position.

As for the buyout that is reduced on 1/1, the timing is theoretically a formality. Think of it from HCBD's shoes: If he knew he was going to be terminated (which he would know even if they were waiting on the buyout reduction) he would rather be released now to be in the coaching carousel to try for another HC or DC job. Waiting until 1/1 would not be worth the money to him because he would lose the opportunity to be out looking for his next gig. More than likely, if the school were going to buyout him out he would accept the lower amount now since it would be best for all parties involved.

Bob Diaco is here for the 2017 season. It may not be palatable, but it's reality.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

There is another thread suggesting that we will wait to let him go in January and save money, and that the reason we haven't said anything (and can afford to wait) is because we are targeting an NFL assistant who wouldn't be available until then anyway.

No idea if this is accurate, but it's not implausible. Rhule came from the NFL. The guy at Nebraska did too. Harbaugh obviously. More hits than misses lately. Is there an NFL assistant out there that seems to fit the bill? Somebody who has HC experience and coached in the college ranks previously? A couple of current coordinators who are former NFL HCs include Jim Schwartz and Todd Haley.

Reaction Score
There is another thread suggesting that we will wait to let him go in January and save money, and that the reason we haven't said anything (and can afford to wait) is because we are targeting an NFL assistant who wouldn't be available until then anyway.

No idea if this is accurate, but it's not implausible. Rhule came from the NFL. The guy at Nebraska did too. Harbaugh obviously. More hits than misses lately. Is there an NFL assistant out there that seems to fit the bill? Somebody who has HC experience and coached in the college ranks previously? A couple of current coordinators who are former NFL HCs include Jim Schwartz and Todd Haley.
lol, doesn't FUCRE fit that bill?

Reaction Score

Rhule came from the NFL but Steve Addazio had left in early December to take the BC job.

Mike Riley (who is now in Nebraska) came to Oregon State from the NFL, but in that case Dennis Erickson pretty much quit to take an NFL gig.

Harbaugh was announced in Michigan in late December, but they fired Brady Hoke on Dec. 2nd.

Reaction Score
We could be waiting until after the 12/31, 1/1 and later bowl games to go after top assistants.

Or I could be dreaming.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think there is any "saving" of recruiting this year. At best he is a lame duck who will be gone after next season unless there is a huge unexpected turnaround. At worst, he's gone in January.

We are back to the "get busy living, or get busy dying" stage of UConn FB.

If someone can make a credible case that BD has any prospects of being successful here, I'll listen but I don't see how that can be a fact based argument.

The only positive reason for keeping him is that they have their eye on someone who would be available in 2018. That's a high risk long shot even if you though it possible.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We could be waiting until after the 12/31, 1/1 and later bowl games to go after top assistants.

Or I could be dreaming.

If we are going after an NFL assistant, then we can wait until after the playoffs to hire him.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Rhule came from the NFL but Steve Addazio had left in early December to take the BC job.

Mike Riley (who is now in Nebraska) came to Oregon State from the NFL, but in that case Dennis Erickson pretty much quit to take an NFL gig.

Harbaugh was announced in Michigan in late December, but they fired Brady Hoke on Dec. 2nd.

It doesn't matter when those guys came. We have a buyout that saves us $1.7M in January. NFL assistants are available later than most college assistants would be. Also allows Diaco to keep doing his job, recruiting, up to the dead period.

I still think he is most likely coming back, just throwing out that waiting doesn't kill UConn's chances of getting a coach if we've already targeted an NFL guy.

Reaction Score
The other possibility is that there is just a hands off policy. Diaco will be back but on the shortest of short leashes with zero confidence from the administration. He will bring in some new staff and reassign others and will be on the clock because Benedict thinks in the long run firing 2 successive coaches in under 4 years makes getting someone new difficult. Let's face it. Replacing Diaco on 1/1/17 or 11/30 doesn't save much and with a pretty good home slate next year Missouri and BC they are willing to risk modest crowds.

Look, this is what the concensus view was when the season ended. But if this is what you are doing, doesn't Benedict just making clear that he will be back next year have to be said? If you were a recruit (or an OC), are you really listening to HCBD prior to the second week of January without such a statement?

Reaction Score

Yeah, the other possibility is the status quo, inertia. They are saying nothing because they are doing nothing.

Reaction Score
At this point I'm just waiting to see if anything happens in the New Year and if not, I'll just despair and probably show up to the games anyway and pray Diaco somehow learned to coach in his 4th year knowing that this is his last chance.

Reaction Score
Look, this is what the concensus view was when the season ended. But if this is what you are doing, doesn't Benedict just making clear that he will be back next year have to be said? If you were a recruit (or an OC), are you really listening to HCBD prior to the second week of January without such a statement?
I'm not saying I like this option but it is an approach. In essence the AD is saying to Diaco that you are on your own. I also think that he is back. If he was going Jacobs and crew would have at least suggested something was going on. They have been 100% behind the Diaco will be back story line. Some have actually said it outright others strongly suggested it.

Reaction Score
BTW the reason seems to be the same one Warde gave for keeping Pasaualoni. Hurts recruiting and you need to give a guy more time to make his mark.

Reaction Score
Haven't read any responses on this particular thread, but it's kinda hard to get behind Diaco not just because of the obvious (the way we played/performed in live games this past season), but there's no media relations noise coming out of the AD department. No updates on coaching changes, which I think we all might've thought we'd know who wouldn't be back at least by now... We can only speculate and get pissed even more about what's going on up there because all were doing is formulating our own hypotheses. It's like they circle the wagons at the most opportune moment to get the school (students), alumni, and fanbase behind them. You can't do that against your base.

Season's officially been over for going on 2 weeks tomorrow, so, hopefully, we hear something (anything besides "crickets") early next week...

Give us something to talk about besides how bad our program looks/is...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We're in a self-imposed probation and nobody is addressing it. Just bizarre if they arent trying to make a change. I wouldn't put any stock in BD's statement given his previous BS and the fact he was shopping himself earlier this year. He creates his own insulated reality.

Reaction Score

Maybe there's some negotiating/fund raising going on. Benedict must have something up his sleeve that can't be announced yet.

Reaction Score
Maybe there's some negotiating/fund raising going on. Benedict must have something up his sleeve that can't be announced yet.
Or maybe none of this is happening because Diaco is going to be here next year.

Reaction Score
If you check out Benedict's twitter feed, you will see lots of tweets made in the last month or so on Field Hockey and Women's Soccer, as they made the postseason..., but the last tweet on UConn football was on September 28th. What is even more odd is that he retweeted a tweet from Randy Edsall on October 4th. Then again, there are no tweets on men's basketball and only one on women's basketball (announcing the HBO show).

Personally, I think Diaco is back coaching the team in 2017 and the reason we have not heard an endorsement from Benedict is that such endorsements usually do more harm than good. Plus, the contract extension is an embarrassment to many parties, so they clearly don't want to highlight their mistake.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We are a dumpster fire of incompetence.

Maybe. But if you are Dave Benedict, and the fiscal reality is that you can't fire the guy, what do you do. Maybe you want him gone. Maybe you have no confidence in him, but you have to keep him until January 2018. Do you publicly announce your support of Diaco? I don't think so. That puts you on the unemployment line next year with him. Since he's back unless you say otherwise, do you need to announce anything? If so, why? Just because he was terrible this year?

I think he's probably back. About 90%. 10% chance they dump him and have some NFL guy already waiting in the wings for the job.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Maybe. But if you are Dave Benedict, and the fiscal reality is that you can't fire the guy, what do you do. Maybe you want him gone. Maybe you have no confidence in him, but you have to keep him until January 2018. Do you publicly announce your support of Diaco? I don't think so. That puts you on the unemployment line next year with him. Since he's back unless you say otherwise, do you need to announce anything? If so, why? Just because he was terrible this year?

I think he's probably back. About 90%. 10% chance they dump him and have some NFL guy already waiting in the wings for the job.
I think you voice support to help save an atrocious recruiting class. Not sure it would make a difference but with so much uncertainty we are toxic. Recruits are voting loudly and clearly that they are not interested in coming here. Probably for a bunch of reasons but at least eliminate uncertainty as one of them. It would be a spin job but spin works a lot of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom