2023 Recruiting: - Stephon Castle | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Stephon Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How does this stuff normally work with recruiting - does the recruit usually tell the coaching staff they're committing ahead of time (or they're committing elsewhere) or do the coaches find out at the actual announcement?

Maybe he hasn't made up his mind yet, but if he had, would he already be telling different staffs that hes either coming or not?
I think a staff usually knows where they stand with a recruit close to the announcement without the recruiting specifically saying he's committing to them. Is he returning your phone calls right away? Is he responding to your texts? Is he asking the right questions and generally seems interested in what you're telling him? It's like dating. You know when a girl really likes you. I guess there's always the chance he is still very interested in more than 1 school but if he's announcing on Friday I'm sure he knows where he's going. And of course plenty of coaching staffs have been blindsided with an announcement when they thought they were going to get a recruit but didn't.

Reaction Score
If not a 5-star he will be pretty damn close. Rivals and 247 both have him in that 25-30ish range which is right on the borderline. I remember someone else pointed out that the only reason his composite is so low is because he isn’t in ESPNs rankings yet (or is lower on ESPN still, I can’t remember).
Yes, ESPN hasn't evaluated him. He's right around a 5 star with rivals #25 and 247 #27 and will probably end up a 5 star.

Reaction Score
It’s my understanding that most kids won’t set a firm announcement date until they know who they’re going to pick. Therefore, I’d think it’s pretty likely he and his family already have it made up, his high school coaches probably know, perhaps even all the staffs who were recruiting him. But I’d think by the time of his public announcement, every pertinent staff should know one way or the other. And if you don’t? Then it’s probably not you.

Really really hoping we get him! Perfect player for Hurley’s system, and I think he, GG, and Bowen would all be able to coexist as 2-4s.

Reaction Score
No grain of salt or fluid warnings?
?
family living GIF

Reaction Score
Unlike any recent recruit's OV pictures/social media posts while on the visit. I found the Castle family's posts to be very encouraging. Almost seemed staged where SC was seeing himself being in Storrs.

Haven't seen that kind of intention before from an OV other than posing in a uniform.

Turnaround time from the OV to decision is positive.

Reaction Score
There's always a ton of things we don't know (inner workings, unknown relationships between coaches, a desire to stay close to home), but here is what we do know publicly:

1. Kamani has had a long relationship with the father (back to AAU days) and was considered a family friend
2. Stephon took an early liking to Auburn, based on the crystal balls for Auburn several months ago.
3. For whatever reason, Stephon stopped the process and chose to take additional OVs, UConn being one of them.
4. He may have taken some unofficial visits as well.
5. His visit to UConn, based on all outward signs, seemed to be very positive. Notably, the family posts appeared to be authentically emotional and genuine.
6. NYC is a second family hub.
7. UConn was the last OV.
8. His decision date is soon after his UConn visit.

I think the decision is between the local team (Georgia) and UConn -- although I am sure Auburn has put on a full-court press since the day Stephon returned to GA. If staying close to home doesn't matter, the choice is easy.

But hell -- on the women's side I was certain Kiki Rice was going to Duke or Stanford. She ended up choosing UCLA. Never saw it coming...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
None of my guys have heard for sure but all three of them think we're getting him, which means the staff thinks we're getting him. But no silent verbal yet.

That said I don't think I'm as plugged in on this one as a few other boneyarders seem to be.

Reaction Score
None of my guys have heard for sure but all three of them think we're getting him, which means the staff thinks we're getting him. But no silent verbal yet.

That said I don't think I'm as plugged in on this one as a few other boneyarders seem to be.
You da man. I think we get him. Universe is smiling on Storrs

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
2023 recruiting class targets ranked by 247 2023 Top Basketball Recruits

21.) Taylor Bowen 6’9 - SF
24.) Aaron Bradshaw 7’0 - C
26.) Jeremy Fears 6’1 - PG
27.) Stephon Castle 6’6 - CG
42.) Isaiah Miranda 7’0 - C
61.) Gavin Griffiths 6’7 - SF

3-4 of these players would be an incredible class. Stephon would be a absolute jewel of a first domino to fall this Friday.

Reaction Score
This is a negative Nancy comment but everyone thought he was going to Auburn, then he visited us and now everything thinks it's UConn. Be great to hear him choose the Huskies on NTv but those are the only two schools he's visited right? At least according to 24/7. When can he sign on the dotted line!

Reaction Score
This is a negative Nancy comment but everyone thought he was going to Auburn, then he visited us and now everything thinks it's UConn. Be great to hear him choose the Huskies on NTv but those are the only two schools he's visited right? At least according to 24/7. When can he sign on the dotted line!
Pretty sure he's visited at least the GA schools unofficially.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
If it’s us and UGA, you’d have to feel much better being in our shoes given the trajectory of UGA basketball at the moment (yes, doomed, I know). They’re in bad shape at the moment and, based on his comments about coaching being an important part of the decision, UGA would seem a risky bet as Crean is almost certainly running out of runway down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom