OT: - Steak Thread Reopened | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Steak Thread Reopened

Reaction Score
I bought a Porterhouse at Highland Park in Glastonbury the other night for $13.99 a pound. I had the strip steak portion and my date had the filet. She litterally cut it with her fork. Hard to beat the meat counter at Highland Park, at least in this area.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Having owned a third wave coffeehouse early on when such things were still novel, I was often accused of being pretentious. I'm happy the salt dude vids went viral because I now have conclusive evidence of what pretentious actually is.
You ever watch the Maron Show on IFC (Marc Maron)? There is an episode (Sponsor) where he goes into his coffee shop and orders an iced triple espresso (Danny Trejo and Ken Jeong guest star). The server (I refuse to use the B term) tells him he can't give him his order because the ice compromises the integrity of the bean. Maron calls the artsy counter guy a drug dealer. It's a humorous bit. Look it up. It's on Netflix.

Were you that kind of pretentious? If not, I think you're okay.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Having owned a third wave coffeehouse early on when such things were still novel, I was often accused of being pretentious. I'm happy the salt dude vids went viral because I now have conclusive evidence of what pretentious actually is.

I’m going to Nusr-Et at beginning of September. Salt bae going to cut my meat for me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I bought a Porterhouse at Highland Park in Glastonbury the other night for $13.99 a pound. I had the strip steak portion and my date had the filet. She litterally cut it with her fork. Hard to beat the meat counter at Highland Park, at least in this area.

Did you go slowly to make it easier for him to count?

Reaction Score
How much better does $29.99/lb ribeye taste than $13.99/lb ribeye? More than twice as good?
Look at the difference in the grain of the $13 steak and the $30 steak. I also frequently buy the crap from Publix, but really like a nice steak every now and again.

Reaction Score
Look at the difference in the grain of the $13 steak and the $30 steak.
I raise all of my own beef. It's all about the genetic starting point and then the marbling. Flavor and tenderness come from fat content. That's why grass fed beef is typically not very good. Best animals we've done have the most marbling in the meat. Genetics are important. We've had animals we put the grain to for 60 days before slaughter and they had lots of body cavity fat and the meat was just so-so marbled. Other animals, same thing, but killer marbling.
No aging, seasoning, or cooking technique can turn so-so beef into great beef.

I heard once that only a few animals in a 100 will qualify for "Prime" grading.

So that's the long answer.

Short? High quality beef will taste and feel much better than what you get at Walmart.

Reaction Score
I raise all of my own beef. It's all about the genetic starting point and then the marbling. Flavor and tenderness come from fat content. That's why grass fed beef is typically not very good. Best animals we've done have the most marbling in the meat. Genetics are important. We've had animals we put the grain to for 60 days before slaughter and they had lots of body cavity fat and the meat was just so-so marbled. Other animals, same thing, but killer marbling.

Short? High quality beef will taste and feel much better than what you get at Walmart.
What this guy said. I don't raise cows, I eat them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You ever watch the Maron Show on IFC (Marc Maron)? There is an episode (Sponsor) where he goes into his coffee shop and orders an iced triple espresso (Danny Trejo and Ken Jeong guest star). The server (I refuse to use the B term) tells him he can't give him his order because the ice compromises the integrity of the bean. Maron calls the artsy counter guy a drug dealer. It's a humorous bit. Look it up. It's on Netflix.

Were you that kind of pretentious? If not, I think you're okay.

There's a way to do an iced triple espresso that doesn't completely ruin it. But you can't add ice after the fact. You need a crapton of ice in a cocktail mixing glass (helps if it's metal) or something large so that there's a lot of ice mass. Hold the ice-filled glass under the portafilter and let the espresso drain directly into it. This will shock the coffee so it retains much of its acidity. Then you simply strain before the ice melts and it gets too diluted.

That said, the idea of an "iced espresso" is dumb, falling squarely in the category of "just because you can doesn't mean you should." If you really want an iced espresso, opt for a shakerato, even a flavored one. I used to do ones with simple syrup and anise and simple syrup with rosemary that were really good. Serve in a small martini glass.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

That's a fine answer so thank you.

Reason I asked was that I'd toy with auction coffees now and then. The stuff I usually bought and served, which was excellent, was normally $4-$7/lb green, all in, delivered. But I'd bought some auction beans for much more than that, and tasted beans that sold for >$50/lb green, and the taste difference to me wasn't worth it. It was all pretty much a status thing.

I enjoy grilling steaks every couple of weeks as it's an easy meal, but honestly I don't seek out steaks when dining out as I usually like a multitude of flavors and not a whole lot of just one flavor so steakhouses are rare for me these days. I recognize that I'm out of step with all the machismo here. But I do buy thicker and better steaks and chops to grill since purchasing an Anova.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
15 hours @ 170 made some AWESOME corned beef. Great taste/texture/tenderness. Unfortunately I left all the seasonings on (peppercorns and whatnot) and they sort of embedded in the outer layer as it cooked. Had to pick em out... mental note for next year. Going to make some great Reubens tomorrow!
Duly noted. Good thinking, 2018 me.

Reaction Score
My nephew is a lawyer. Long story short he handled a bankruptcy for a butcher shop in Albany NY. The butcher showed his appreciation by letting him buy WAGU(?) beef the Japanese style for $22 a pound which is a good deal I guess. He cooks it in an 800 degree German pizza oven and says his life is changed. He just got engaged to a beautiful girl and he used WAGU steak dinners to help land her. He says he’ll make me some but I almost don’t want it because it will ruin me from store steaks. It would be like a drug habit.

Reaction Score
My nephew is a lawyer. Long story short he handled a bankruptcy for a butcher shop in Albany NY. The butcher showed his appreciation by letting him buy WAGU(?) beef the Japanese style for $22 a pound which is a good deal I guess. He cooks it in an 800 degree German pizza oven and says his life is changed. He just got engaged to a beautiful girl and he used WAGU steak dinners to help land her. He says he’ll make me some but I almost don’t want it because it will ruin me from store steaks. It would be like a drug habit.
About once a month I buy wagyu rib eyes from the butcher. He gets $45.99 a pound. Sounds like your nephew did alright.

Had a steak the other night from Cabernet's in Alpharetta GA. Dry aged then marinated in rock salt, oyster juice and pineapple juice for 3 days. Phenomenal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

There’s so much going on here.

There’s a 50% chance that story is true and there is a 50% chance that your nephew is trading handjobs for expensive meats.

Reaction Score
There’s so much going on here.

There’s a 50% chance that story is true and there is a 50% chance that your nephew is trading handjobs for expensive meats.
I’m sort of joking about landing the girl (they are now engaged) though since he got this pizza oven he’s been making her meals on weekends with it. He uses some kind of special flour from Italy for dough and the pizza is like 2 minutes and done but also he claims the best ever. Think about it, good food plus what you describe, win win.

August_West

Reaction Score
I’m sort of joking about landing the girl (they are now engaged) though since he got this pizza oven he’s been making her meals on weekends with it. He uses some kind of special flour from Italy for dough and the pizza is like 2 minutes and done but also he claims the best ever. Think about it, good food plus what you describe, win win.

00 flour . He’s making Neapolitan.

That’s for aristocrats like @8893

August_West

Reaction Score
Never had it. How good?

Neapolitan pizza not my favorite pizza style.

It’s good though. And I’m sure it’s delicious.

00 flour is just very very fine flour, like baby powder fine.

I have a propane fired pizza oven that gets up to 850-900 degrees and can do it, but when I do go to the trouble I’d rather do a style I love.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Neapolitan pizza not my favorite pizza style.
What?!? What's your favorite style, Greek? Deep dish?

We brought some of that ultra fine flour back from Italy because we had used it to make chicken cutlets there and it was the first time one of our daughters had eaten any protein in what seemed like years, so Mrs. 8893 wanted to keep it going at home, which it did for a while. We also had veal cutlets with it there that were excellent, but they refuse to eat veal here because they insist there is some distinction in the age and treatment of the animals here that turns them off to it. Admittedly, I try to remain consciously ignorant of such things...

August_West

Reaction Score
What?!? What's your favorite style, Greek? Deep dish?
New haven and NY style doughs while direct descendants of Neapolitan aren’t quite that. Prefer both over traditional Neapolitan,there is a little more chew to it.

This winter I got quite proficient doing Sicilian in my regular oven. So I’m kind of enamored with that style right now as I’ve dug into it.

But now it looks nice out and about time to pull the pizza oven out of the garage. And start with the thin crusts again.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
New haven and NY style doughs while direct descendants of Neapolitan aren’t quite that. Prefer both over traditional Neapolitan,there is a little more chew to it.

This winter I got quite proficient doing Sicilian in my regular oven. So I’m kind of enamored with that style right now as I’ve dug into it.

But now it looks nice out and about time to pull the pizza oven out of the garage. And start with the thin crusts again.

Surprised you're into Sicilian. Never been a favorite of mine, but I was introduced to Detroit-style last year and started playing with that. It's not Sicilian, not Greek, but a little of both and something completely different. You might find you like it. We've got a place here that does a Detroit pie with ricotta and lemon zest that has entered my top 10 slices ever list.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
One of my good friends whom li met in frats married a Brazilian girl.
He swears by a cut of steak called picanha (pee-khan-yah). I’m a novice in steaks but I know what I like. I don’t know if it’s better than wagyu, Kobe, mignon or anything else you experts know about it but it was very tender, delicious and about $7/pound.
If you are in the Hartford area, you can get it at casa Brasíl in park road.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
One of my good friends whom li met in frats married a Brazilian girl.
He swears by a cut of steak called picanha (pee-khan-yah). I’m a novice in steaks but I know what I like. I don’t know if it’s better than wagyu, Kobe, mignon or anything else you experts know about it but it was very tender, delicious and about $7/pound.
If you are in the Hartford area, you can get it at casa Brasíl in park road.

It's basically a cut from the round with the fat cap left on.

It's like sirloin, but is a little trendy right now. If you have a decent butcher, you can get it pretty easily.

Reaction Score
It's basically a cut from the round with the fat cap left on.

It's like sirloin, but is a little trendy right now. If you have a decent butcher, you can get it pretty easily.
I used to go to a restaurant in NY called Churrascaria Plataforma with some Brazilian friends. They loved picanha and I must admit it was quite tasty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom