OT: - Steak Thread Reopened | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Steak Thread Reopened

Reaction Score
On the topic of steak: J. Gilbert's. I am not prone to using profanity, but last time I was there I couldn't help but say when I took my first bite. Their steaks are that good. I think 3 of the 4 best steaks I have ever had have come from there.
J. Gilberts serves certified angus prime which is a very high level. I always ask when ordering steak in a restaurant if it is choice or prime because very few places serve prime, even sometimes big name places that you'd think would. Never assume even if it is priced high.

Reaction Score
Last night's Colombian steakhouse dinner.

3148998849_b7f10ec142_z.jpg

Reaction Score

I know its basketball season and steak talk is over, but thanks to this thread I decided to try Sous vide cooking! I have a short rib that I'm going to put in tonight i think. Found this site https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way and am considering the 129 for 72 hours. Is it really that good? If I wait 72 hours it must be amazing. And is it safe? Do i have to worry about bacteria or other bad things in the meat that arent killed off at that low temp?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know its basketball season and steak talk is over, but thanks to this thread I decided to try Sous vide cooking! I have a short rib that I'm going to put in tonight i think. Found this site https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way and am considering the 129 for 72 hours. Is it really that good? If I wait 72 hours it must be amazing. And is it safe? Do i have to worry about bacteria or other bad things in the meat that arent killed off at that low temp?
There are a lot of worse ways to die!

Reaction Score

129 is the lowest you should possibly go for just about anything, and I'd maybe go a degree or two higher for safe than sorry reasons. Also, over that long period of time I'd consider other actions to eliminate some non-lethal but potentially flavor-spoiling critters that pop up during long cooks.

Definitely:
-Make sure the whole bag is vacuum sealed or entirely submerged so there's no air pockets out of the water for stuff to grow in.
-Try to have a lid, plastic wrap, or ping pong balls to prevent too much evaporation. You may need to add water during the cook otherwise.

One of these:
-Submerge the meat out of bag in boiling water for like a minute to kill surface stuff.
-Pre-sear the meat instead of doing the sear/grill after.
-Start the water at a higher temp (180), add bag and fully submerge, and then immediately set it to target temp and allow it to come down. Achieves a similar effect to the boiling water.

As an aside, I've had great results with 36-48 hours instead of 72 at around 136 for short ribs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks auror! I think I'm going for 48 hours this time. I have a lid so evaporation shouldn't be an issue.

Definetely opens up the cooking world for me. I'm looking forward to experimenting and enjoying the outcomes.

Reaction Score
Cholesterol isn't too bad. Chronic Kidney Disease diet.
Those high protein diets will kill your kidneys, you can live with high cholesterol and high carbs (pizza, pasta, lasagna, garlic bread...all my favorites...Lol), but you can't live without your kidneys. So if you have kidney disease, high protein foods can be poison. I can afford my high carb diet, still run 20 miles a week, and have been doing that for 30 years, my running also makes me drink a ton of water which helps flush out the kidneys. My opinion is, people who try and micro manage their diet from a chemistry perspective end up killing themselves sooner or later, while those who tend to commit all the Cardinal sins of diet but shield themselves through an intense exercise regimen tend to enjoy the golden years a little better. That is if you are lucky in the knee and back Dept.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I meant to post this awhile ago, but as I have to wait till Christmas to get my sous vide kit, I was doing a lot of steaks reverse-sear style. Makes a noticeably positive difference, so thanks for those tips!

Reaction Score
We only have Argentinian and Brazilian steakhouses out here in Pgh, But we do have a Colombian breakfast/lunch joint that serves bandeja paisa for about $12:

89472c5c2db9a387fad173ca96eadc6a.png
I enjoy bandeja paisa. Another go to hangover food is a Filipino breakfast with tocino and longaniza.

Reaction Score
Sous vided a rack of lamb last night that I picked up at Costco. There is a lot of fat waste on those but it was delicious. Seasoned it after removing from bag with garlic powder, coarse salt and pepper, and threw on hot grill for 2 minutes per side. Better than high end restaurant.

Reaction Score
Sous vided a rack of lamb last night that I picked up at Costco. There is a lot of fat waste on those but it was delicious. Seasoned it after removing from bag with garlic powder, coarse salt and pepper, and threw on hot grill for 2 minutes per side. Better than high end restaurant.

I'll have to try that. Did short rib for about 54 hours at 144 came out amazing. Then I did 2 london broils I got from Costco... 133 for 8 hours. Wasnt as good as I was hoping it would be. I only marinated it for 2 hours though, I'm hoping thats the reason. Was a little more done than i'd like, maybe i need to drop the temp to 131? The meat wasnt overcooked and was juicy but it was still alittle tougher than i hoped it would be. I probably did something wrong.

Reaction Score
Fan, let me help you out here. London broil is my favorite to sous vide. 55 centigrade is exactly 131 and that's medium rare, more rare do 125. 6 hours is fine but the marinade is important. I like Montreal steak seasoning heavy, and soy vey teriyaki in the bag while sous viding, but you can marinate overnight in the fridge, but beware of making it too salty. I even started one completely frozen, threw the marinade in and it was perfect. Even sous vide will not turn that cut to butter but it should be tender enough and with great flavor. Makes sandwiches cold sliced too. I picked up Agus London broil at price chopper yesterday for $2.49 lb. roast beef at the deli is $12 lb.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Got the Anova for Christmas and have used it successfully for some killer steaks... but right now I’m hoping it works some magic on corned beef.

Reaction Score
Got the Anova for Christmas and have used it successfully for some killer steaks... but right now I’m hoping it works some magic on corned beef.

What time/temp you going with?

You soak it in water ahead of time?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What time/temp you going with?

You soak it in water ahead of time?
So time and temp were a tough call. Some recipes were doing like 130-140 for up to 48 hours, some were doing 180 for 10 hours. Based on the description of the texture at 180, I started with Serious Eats recipe and dialed it down to 170 and about 15 hours. We shall see.

Did I soak it in water? No. :eek:

Guess we will see if dinner is on later!

Reaction Score
Anyone got a unique and fast marinade marinade for a few sirloin steaks? I generally keep it simple but want to do something that maybe I can convert to a sauce once done marinating. I’ve had good like with lime and other flavors.

My wife likes something to give a little flavor to the rice and veggies on her plate with the steak. Having lunch with beer and basketball. Gotta get them in a marinade quick.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone got a unique and fast marinade marinade for a few sirloin steaks? I generally keep it simple but want to do something that maybe I can convert to a sauce once done marinating. I’ve had good like with lime and other flavors.

My wife likes something to give a little flavor to the rice and veggies on her plate with the steak. Having lunch with beer and basketball. Gotta get them in a marinade quick.
Italian dressing always works.

Reaction Score
I’ve been on the line about trying out sous vide just cause, no reason. This thread is the kick in the ass I need. Big user of the reverse sear, especially with tenderloins and roasts.

Reaction Score
So time and temp were a tough call. Some recipes were doing like 130-140 for up to 48 hours, some were doing 180 for 10 hours. Based on the description of the texture at 180, I started with Serious Eats recipe and dialed it down to 170 and about 15 hours. We shall see.

Did I soak it in water? No. :eek:

Guess we will see if dinner is on later!

I've heard mixed things from people about the soaking. I think it depends how it was brined. I've got a supermarket pre-brined one going right now following a similar thing to you and I only soaked briefly and washed, just to get a bit of salt out. It's supposed to be salty, anyways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom