OT: - Steak Thread Reopened | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Steak Thread Reopened

Reaction Score
Can ziplock bags work, or does it have to be a vacuumed freezer bag?
I think a freezer bag is sturdier, but double the zip lock bags and that would work. A great steak like a ribeye I did for an hour or 2. Less tender cuts you go longer 6-8 hours but I never went as far as 24 hours.....yet.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm curious if this is a one purpose machine, or can other meats be cooked this way? I'm curious how a pork tenderloin would come out.

I may give this a shot:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm curious if this is a one purpose machine, or can other meats be cooked this way? I'm curious how a pork tenderloin would come out.

I may give this a shot:

It's definitely not just for steak. You can do killer/juicy chicken and pork. 165 degrees for chicken breast is the "standard" for doneness. That kills baddies/germs instantly. But - you can kill the same number of baddies/germs at a lower temp, if you hold it there for a longer time (exactly what sous vide does). So chicken breast cooked at 155 for a couple hours is perfectly safe to eat, and a lot more juicy.

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Chicken Breast

Reaction Score
You're right, it's really amazing to me that someone would start cooking a meal three days in advance.

Probably the type of person that calls into Eversource freaking out that their meter must be broken because there's simply no way they could be using that much electricity.

Reaction Score
Will try it, thanks.

I don't want to be that guy, but I prefer 136-145F for 36-48 hours for short ribs. The texture is a little more firm, but still crazy juicy/buttery. Obviously up to the individual.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can the meat be frozen after the water bath is done, or does it need to be grilled immediately?

Also: Costco sells meat in vacuum sealed plastic. Can these be used as is?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can the meat be frozen after the water watch is done, or does it need to be grilled immediately?

I never tried that but it could work i guess. If meat can fit in the bath you could do that with a sealed package but I prefer to season then put in the bath. Just thought of something too, you know how you buyrare roast beef at the deli for $12 a pound and 3 days later it goes bad? I had a chunk of week old marinated Sous vide then grilled cooked rare london broil in the fridge in foil, sliced it thin made a sandwich and it was perfect. It tasted better and saves a lot of money.

Reaction Score
Once the meat is done, you can put it in an ice bath to cool down for an hour or so and then put it in the fridge.
Supposedly, you can freeze it up to a year before using (link). Never done that though, always finished the food within 3-4 days after cooking.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup, my son worked in a restaurant in NY city and this was what they did. They also charged big bucks and the restaurant advertised sous vide technique. I think with people using smokers and sous vide unless you are willing to spend a ton of money a lot of restaurant food is way inferior to what you can do yourself.

Reaction Score

Pre-sealed stuff is tricky. Some stuff is heat-sealed and others are glued. Glue (usually like easy-peel packaging) is susceptible to leaking at higher sous vide temps or durations. It's often safer to just re-bag and then you can season as well, but I've had success straight sous vide-ing some stuff like packaged pork tenderloin from Trader joe's. Not sure personally about the costco stuff.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This may explain why the guy at Costco had no idea what I was looking for.

IMG_0448.PNG

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think a freezer bag is sturdier, but double the zip lock bags and that would work. A great steak like a ribeye I did for an hour or 2. Less tender cuts you go longer 6-8 hours but I never went as far as 24 hours.....yet.

Freezer bag = vacuum sealed?

Reaction Score
You do not have to seal the bag, in fact as you lower the steak in the freezer bag in the water the air in the bag goes out. You need a couple extra inches of bag so you can clip it to the top of the pot or container, no water gets in. The steak in the bag is completely submerged in the water except the top. I didn't get it until I did it the first time. The steak can also b e completely sealed in the bag but I don't want the opening of the bag to be in the water sealed or not.

Reaction Score
You do not have to seal the bag, in fact as you lower the steak in the freezer bag in the water the air in the bag goes out. You need a couple extra inches of bag so you can clip it to the top of the pot or container, no water gets in. The steak in the bag is completely submerged in the water except the top. I didn't get it until I did it the first time. The steak can also b e completely sealed in the bag but I don't want the opening of the bag to be in the water sealed or not.

@temery, you can do some sous vide cooks in regular zip lock bags that are "sealed" via water displacement. Other cooks, such as for longer time periods, stuff you want to be extra careful with, need to submerge completely, or things you plan on saving for prolonged periods, should be properly vacuum sealed.

I have both a vacuum sealer and also use ziploc bags, because the vacuum bags are more expensive. I do, however, usually zip the ziplocs after removing the air, to keep stuff from floating or accidentally getting water in there (especially for lighter items like sausage).

Reaction Score
I had never heard of sous vide but I'm now designing a restaurant in Farmington where sous vide is a major component of the kitchen...assuming they finally get their financing. Upper left corner #52 units.
5cornersSD3rev1.jpg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I had never heard of sous vide but I'm now designing a restaurant in Farmington where sous vide is a major component of the kitchen...assuming they finally get their financing. Upper left corner #52 units.
View attachment 24754

You put the beer cooler right next to the bathrooms. Nice touch.

Reaction Score
On the topic of steak: J. Gilbert's. I am not prone to using profanity, but last time I was there I couldn't help but say duck when I took my first bite. Their steaks are that good. I think 3 of the 4 best steaks I have ever had have come from there.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
On the topic of steak: J. Gilbert's. I am not prone to using profanity, but last time I was there I couldn't help but say duck when I took my first bite. Their steaks are that good. I think 3 of the 4 best steaks I have ever had have come from there.
I have never had a bad steak or bad meal there. It may not be the super high end foo foo steak place, but it's consistently delicious.

Reaction Score
It's my experience that sous vide does not cure a lousy steak or cut which is the number one factor. A great high quality steak can be cooked any way and be delicious as long as it's not overcooked. Because tenderness and juiciness can be maintained but if the flavor or marbling is not there nothing else matters. Just got some prime ribeye from Costco and it was very good but not better than their regular ribeye (which is great) in this one case. Once had a Whole Foods ribeye that blew the doors off but I don't want to pay those prices all the time.

Reaction Score
It's my experience that sous vide does not cure a lousy steak or cut which is the number one factor. A great high quality steak can be cooked any way and be delicious as long as it's not overcooked. Because tenderness and juiciness can be maintained but if the flavor or marbling is not there nothing else matters. Just got some prime ribeye from Costco and it was very good but not better than their regular ribeye (which is great) in this one case. Once had a Whole Foods ribeye that blew the doors off but I don't want to pay those prices all the time.

It can help turn cheap or tough cuts delicious like chuck roast, though. But those cuts won't necessarily be steak-like.

In general though, you are right. Crappy grades, poorly marbled, etc. will often always be crap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom