OT: - Steak Thread Reopened | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Steak Thread Reopened

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’ve been on the line about trying out sous vide just cause, no reason. This thread is the kick in the ass I need. Big user of the reverse sear, especially with tenderloins and roasts.

Seriously, do it. I'd been wanting to for several years, and finally got one for Christmas last year. While it can improve better cuts of meat, where it shines is turning cheap cuts into stuff you're really looking forward to eating. I can't stand chicken breasts. Now i can finally enjoy them. Super juicy pork tenderloin. London broil that won't exercise your jaw. Stew beef, even meats you're going to use for fajitas. And, of course, short ribs.

Likely you'll never use your crock pot again, or use it sparingly.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
15 hours @ 170 made some AWESOME corned beef. Great taste/texture/tenderness. Unfortunately I left all the seasonings on (peppercorns and whatnot) and they sort of embedded in the outer layer as it cooked. Had to pick em out... mental note for next year. Going to make some great Reubens tomorrow!

Reaction Score
15 hours @ 170 made some AWESOME corned beef. Great taste/texture/tenderness. Unfortunately I left all the seasonings on (peppercorns and whatnot) and they sort of embedded in the outer layer as it cooked. Had to pick em out... mental note for next year. Going to make some great Reubens tomorrow!

Agreed, mine came out great at 175 for about 10. I didn't use any seasonings on the actual meat. Made potatoes, cabbage, carrots in slow cooker with water, added juice from sous vide bag + seasoning packet. Spooned on top of the meat.

The texture was great though. Almost said "Like good brisket" before I realized I'm dumb and that it is brisket lol.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You have a deli slicer?

Reaction Score
Inspired by this thread, I picked up a ribeye this morning. 130 for 2 hours, reverse sear. I got impatient, I wasn't happy with how the fat remained the same but a quick post-sear made it a perfect medium rare. Post-Amazon acquisition, Whole Foods has dropped their meat prices substantially. $13 bucks for a ribeye is much better than I see at Big Y or probably anywhere else around.

Reaction Score
Inspired by this thread, I picked up a ribeye this morning. 130 for 2 hours, reverse sear. I got impatient, I wasn't happy with how the fat remained the same but a quick post-sear made it a perfect medium rare. Post-Amazon acquisition, Whole Foods has dropped their meat prices substantially. $13 bucks for a ribeye is much better than I see at Big Y or probably anywhere else around.
Great info because one time I splurged at Whole Foods for ribeye at $20 a pound and it was incredible. $13 is a bargain for that quality.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Take a look a this.

My hesitancy is I don't want to find a place for another machine but this thread makes it tempting.
And @jibsey or anyone else. Have you tried this sous vide machine? I have an Anova and a couple of different sized baths with lids, but I've often thought about getting a second Anova so I can do medium rare and medium for the same meal. This would be really convenient but is it as accurate and dependable as the more expensive wands?

Reaction Score
Seriously, do it. I'd been wanting to for several years, and finally got one for Christmas last year. While it can improve better cuts of meat, where it shines is turning cheap cuts into stuff you're really looking forward to eating. I can't stand chicken breasts. Now i can finally enjoy them. Super juicy pork tenderloin. London broil that won't exercise your jaw. Stew beef, even meats you're going to use for fajitas. And, of course, short ribs.

Likely you'll never use your crock pot again, or use it sparingly.

For me it is almost the opposite. I used to not get the expensive cuts of meat because I was afraid to mess it up. Especially thick cuts. Put a thick cut steak on the grill and I would always screw it up. Now thick cuts make no difference to me. Thick bone in pork chops? No problem, I love them. Thick rib eyes? Awesome. Also like you said the cheap cuts come out amazing too. Shortribs and even oxtail come out great.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Don't forget the creme fraiche bro -- gives a Reuben that je ne sais quoi.

Reaction Score
Update:

Got a Sous Vide for my birthday and tried it out on some porkchops I was planning to grill. Questions/Comments if I could get some guidance:

1. Pork Chop was a little Dry. I think that was my fault because like an idiot I listen to the box to cook Pork to 150 which is the CDC guideline but not really needed anymore. Should have gone with my usual 140F.

2. I used a Large Ziploc Bag to but both chops in. To those that use the ziploc, better to put the individual chops in separate bags?

3. I ended up getting the bag filled about 1/3 with liquid and when I lifted it out, there was liquid dripping from one of the corners. Assuming most of the liquid was water from the pot that got in and not the juices from the Pork. Is this a chronic issues with the Ziploc?

Edit: Wife got me the Anova

Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker | Remote Adjustment & Control, Smart Device App Enabled w/ Bluetooth, Easy to Clean, Immersion Circulator, 800 Watts (Black)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I got an Anova for Christmas and love it.

Yes to 140 for pork chops. It's all about time. If all you've experienced has been dry chops, you may need to adjust your mouth to the new juicy chops you'll be producing.

Yes to individual bags for large chops. If you're doing short ribs or country ribs, you can do 3-4 per bag, but for large chops, whether pork or steak - or even chicken breasts - anything over say, a pound, should be in its own bag.

Water should not get in the bag. You will get liquid from the meat in the bag as it cooks out. It's pretty easy to not get water in ziplocs using the submersion method. Just put a slightly open bag into the cooking water, being careful to not let water in. Once the meat stops floating and most of the air is out of the bag, seal the remaining opening and ensure it's sealed. I use a large stockpot for my Anova and clip the bags to the edge, making sure water level stays above the meat.

Added tip - you don't need as much seasoning as you would if you were just pan frying, broiling or grilling. You can cut in half in most cases. Also usually helps to add a tsp or so of olive oil to whatever meat you're cooking.

Reaction Score
Does beef really stay in the digestive tract for like a month???

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I got an Anova for Christmas and love it.

Yes to 140 for pork chops. It's all about time. If all you've experienced has been dry chops, you may need to adjust your mouth to the new juicy chops you'll be producing.

Yes to individual bags for large chops. If you're doing short ribs or country ribs, you can do 3-4 per bag, but for large chops, whether pork or steak - or even chicken breasts - anything over say, a pound, should be in its own bag.

Water should not get in the bag. You will get liquid from the meat in the bag as it cooks out. It's pretty easy to not get water in ziplocs using the submersion method. Just put a slightly open bag into the cooking water, being careful to not let water in. Once the meat stops floating and most of the air is out of the bag, seal the remaining opening and ensure it's sealed. I use a large stockpot for my Anova and clip the bags to the edge, making sure water level stays above the meat.

Added tip - you don't need as much seasoning as you would if you were just pan frying, broiling or grilling. You can cut in half in most cases. Also usually helps to add a tsp or so of olive oil to whatever meat you're cooking.
MMMMmmm, warmish pork juices and water bath. I don't think leaking is optimal in this application.

Reaction Score

Water displacement method technique video demonstration
How to Seal Food Using the Water Displacement Method (Video)

Also usually helps to add a tsp or so of olive oil to whatever meat you're cooking.

There's a lot of conflicting info out there about adding oil/fat to bag. I think the current general consensus is that adding oil serves little purpose since you're not lubricating metal or serving as a conductor of heat, and it may actually leach out some flavor into the liquid. Serious Eats and Sous Vide Everything did some comparisons and both liked better without oil.

That being said, if you're mimicking a confit or with some stuff that sticks like fish I would definitely use it.

1. Pork Chop was a little Dry. I think that was my fault because like an idiot I listen to the box to cook Pork to 150 which is the CDC guideline but not really needed anymore. Should have gone with my usual 140F.

Definitely 140. As you've hinted at, pasteurization is a function of time + temp. All food temp guidelines are based on essentially seconds kept at that temp, not hours. Just remember when you're timing that the meat has to get to that temp internally before the clock starts and that depends on size and density of cut.

I like chicken breast at high 140s (like 149), lean pork like chops and tenderloin around 140, steaks with a lot of marbling like ribeye at 133, lean tender steaks like filet at 129, Salmon 110, beef short ribs/chuck roast for 36-48h at 136, pork ribs 142 for 36h, brisket 155 for 48h, pulled pork 165 for 24h, leg of lamb 134, burgers 125 (careful about meat selection).

3. I ended up getting the bag filled about 1/3 with liquid and when I lifted it out, there was liquid dripping from one of the corners. Assuming most of the liquid was water from the pot that got in and not the juices from the Pork. Is this a chronic issues with the Ziploc?

Honestly, I bet it was from the pork. That sucker has some juice. Especially with 2 at 150 instead of 140. You'll get less bag juice at the lower temp since the meat will expel less juice. Meats have always given off that much juice, you just don't notice when it's evaporating instantly off normally.

Hard to tell without being there, but the biggest tell for a leak is if the water color in your actual container changes (from colors in the juice given off from the protein).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Costco had prime strip steaks in their case for $10 a pound the other day. I've had their prime ribeye but could not tell much difference with their regular ribeye when sous vided. Will buy the regular from now on.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
How is this different than throwing the meat in a crockpot at the same temp?
I use my slow cooker/crock pot often. Of course I Bbq however, slow cooker 7 hours with spices, bbq sauce. I made ribs the other day, called for 12 oz Dr. Pepper along with other tasty ingredients. Juicy fall of the bone.

I tried roasts and a brisket. I am a big fail on those. The meat is always dry. I have been told knock off an hour. I might be overcooking.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
If ya'll ever make it down to Charleston go to Hall's Chop House. Best steak you'll ever have.

Reaction Score
On the left is exactly how it comes out when you reverse seer.

Here is one I did about 2 weeks ago, reverse seared on the kamado. $29.99 per pound ribeye from a butcher in Roswell, GA. Mitch's Meats - likely a top 3 steak I have ever had.
38747486_10213461994276851_3756944602620231680_n.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Here is one I did about 2 weeks ago, reverse seared on the kamado. $29.99 per pound ribeye from a butcher in Roswell, GA. Mitch's Meats - likely a top 3 steak I have ever had.
View attachment 33630

How much better does $29.99/lb ribeye taste than $13.99/lb ribeye? More than twice as good?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Having owned a third wave coffeehouse early on when such things were still novel, I was often accused of being pretentious. I'm happy the salt dude vids went viral because I now have conclusive evidence of what pretentious actually is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom