intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
LMAO

1546827179982.png

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And yet he was still a bit player. He played with one of our headiest/steadiest PGs in history. One of the most dominating defensive centers in MCBB history. One of the most athletic rangy fowards in UCONN history. One of the biggest beasts down low. And so on and so on. Leaving Gilbert aside, there's only one player on this team who would even get minutes on 2009 (Jalen). And he wouldn't even start.

Kemba had infinite wiggle room. He could make mistake after mistake, and most of the time, it wouldn't matter.

You know the likely reason Kemba made a better percentage of 2's? Cause when he drove the lane, he had Adrien, Robinson, Thabeet and Adrien to dish or lob to. Defensive guys had to be honest. Or he could pass out to Dyson, AJP, heck even Austrie for outside shots.

Gilbert has friggin Carlton and Polley inside. When our guards drive the lane, the defense knows they have nobody to pass it to. They just converge and that's that. It looks like trees because it is.

Whaler the curve is friggin massive. And it's the only way to make a fair comparison. Kemba would look quite similar to Gilbert this year on this team. At least Gilbert can stroke it a bit. Teams would just back off Kemba crow the lane and be done with it.

The easiest way to make a player look better is to play him with good players. And conversely, the easiest way to make a player look worse is to play him with poor players.

And by cavalierly writing off the injury thing, you're taking away from reasoned analysis. What the hell does age matter when you can't practice or train and all you are doing is fixing a broken machine hoping it works right again? You don't get better by merely growing older.

By the time the NCAA tournament rolled around, Kemba had far, far more mileage under his treads than Gilbert has now.

I guess we’ll never know but I believe Kemba on this 2018 team would be light years better than Gilbert.

That being said who is the most valuable piece on this roster current and future value nobody but Gilbert has a claim.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I guess we’ll never know but I believe Kemba on this 2018 team would be light years better than Gilbert.

Of course, we're completely blowing wind back and forth here.

My overly simplistic breakdown is Kemba couldn't shoot anything outside of a floater (remember he hadn't developed the change of pace, the stepback, etc).

So, stack three guys in the middle, give him nothing to pass to, and what do you get? A lot of missed/blocked layups and not much else.

And again, give me a fully healthy Gilbert from Day 1, starting this year as a freshman, and I think he'd look different. jmo

That being said who is the most valuable piece on this roster current and future value nobody but Gilbert has a claim.

Excuse me for being obtuse, but are you saying Gilbert is the only one with real high end major potential? If so, I'm in full agreement. Feels like a CUSA team right now (hyperbole for emphasis).

Wilson has the ceiling, based on measurables alone, but he's got a long way to go to reach it.

Reaction Score
This may very well be the worst sports comparison I've ever seen. Not just on this board and not just in this sport.

Whaley is taller - Fact

Glad I got that out of the way. Now the part that you don’t want to hear. This is when I prove you wrong.

They have career scoring averages of 2 and 3 points respectively. They are within 5% of each other for FT percentage. Whaley hasn’t attempted a 3 but Sid is shooting 20% so we almost wish he didn’t attempt a 3. They both average 2 rebounds a game and they both average 1 block per game.

Seems to me that Sid is a shorter version of Whaley.

Reaction Score
Whaley is taller - Fact

Glad I got that out of the way. Now the part that you don’t want to hear. This is when I prove you wrong.

They have career scoring averages of 2 and 3 points respectively. They are within 5% of each other for FT percentage. Whaley hasn’t attempted a 3 but Sid is shooting 20% so we almost wish he didn’t attempt a 3. They both average 2 rebounds a game and they both average 1 block per game.

I thought you were at least going to mount some off the wall defense about how they had similar games. Instead you literally just defaulted to reading me their stats. Not doing a great job of pulling this hawt take out of the gutter.

Reaction Score
This has been my view since he was hired. I think Mike Anthony is on target. Adams is good not great and is surrounded by a bunch of mediocre players. This year is merely getting through the season without being embarrassed. An NIT bid would be gravy. The Hurley era starts for real next year.

The NIT requires a winning record. That is doubtful based on the last few games.

Reaction Score
Why do you disagree?
Wow, really going to keep this one going. Two different stratospheres athletically, one fancies himself an outside player, the other almost exclusively sets up in the post area. Sid, without much success, generally tries to either jack up an outside shot, or drive the ball. Whaley pretty rarely puts the ball on the floor and looks to either pass out or take a mid range jumper. Do you want me to keep on going? Aside from them not being pretty good so far, blocking some shots, and playing the same position, I have no earthly idea what you're on about with this.

Reaction Score
Why do you disagree?

I don’t anymore. You’re analysis changed my mind. Wilson is not a shorter version of Whaley afterall. They are the same height despite what their bio says. They have completely different skill sets. Only one is limited offensively, at least one of them is a good shooter, one of them is a good rebounder, one of them is a good passer, one of them is a shut down defender, one is way more athletic than the other. One is good and one is bad. You’re right!

Reaction Score
Walker was a huge part of a final four team as a freshman.

Not that I don’t think Gilbert has promise he’s nowhere near that level apples to apples today.
I don't think this is fair at all. Early on Kemba had some great moments and some bad ones. Alterique has a lot of the same problems Kemba had earlier in his career of overpenetrating. Kemba did a little more overall and Alterique is the better shooter. People seem to forget it wasn't always so smooth for Walker, he was often out of control as a sophomore.

Alterique is a stud and we'll see it more and more over time. We can only hope he makes a jump like Kemba made his junior year but that type of leap is extremely rare, Kemba is an all-timer. Alterique will be damn good for us though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course, we're completely blowing wind back and forth here.

My overly simplistic breakdown is Kemba couldn't shoot anything outside of a floater (remember he hadn't developed the change of pace, the stepback, etc).

So, stack three guys in the middle, give him nothing to pass to, and what do you get? A lot of missed/blocked layups and not much else.

And again, give me a fully healthy Gilbert from Day 1, starting this year as a freshman, and I think he'd look different. jmo

Excuse me for being obtuse, but are you saying Gilbert is the only one with real high end major potential? If so, I'm in full agreement. Feels like a CUSA team right now (hyperbole for emphasis).

Wilson has the ceiling, based on measurables alone, but he's got a long way to go to reach it.

Yes, I was saying his ceiling is higher than anyone else on the roster today.

Reaction Score
Lol. You guys are funny! We have no superstars right now and we all know this. Stop beating a dead horse saying the same thing week after week. J. Adams is still currently the best player on the team. He's also been the most consistent although not consistent. Each week we get to see someone else show what they are capable of. It's unfortunate we can not seem to get a combined effort each night. But if a team shuts down J. Adams nobody else but Gilbert has shown they can take over. Again, not consistent. Vital, well he is who he is. Really outside of those 3 I mentioned, that's all we seem to have. Teams adjust and if we got nothing in front court, teams don't have to make many adjustments. Its like we play 3 on 5.

Reaction Score
Whaley is taller - Fact

If you cant see that Sid's potential is incredibly higher than Whaley's, WOW.

Sid will be very good. It is just going to take some time to get there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think this is fair at all. Early on Kemba had some great moments and some bad ones. Alterique has a lot of the same problems Kemba had earlier in his career of overpenetrating. Kemba did a little more overall and Alterique is the better shooter. People seem to forget it wasn't always so smooth for Walker, he was often out of control as a sophomore.

Alterique is a stud and we'll see it more and more over time. We can only hope he makes a jump like Kemba made his junior year but that type of leap is extremely rare, Kemba is an all-timer. Alterique will be damn good for us though.
Kemba also had Aj

Reaction Score
If you cant see that Sid's potential is incredibly higher than Whaley's, WOW.

Sid will be very good. It is just going to take some time to get there.
This is college. You only get 4 years.

Reaction Score
Sid has a high ceiling there's no doubt, crazy athlete. I am concerned with the same thing many of our other recruits don't have though and that's basketball smarts. Does anyone coach basketball anymore while kids are growing up? Scary how much they lack as far as understanding fundamentals, the defensive end, passing the ball and being ready to do something with it. He has a ways to go no doubt before he's high impact.

Reaction Score
Wilson is a shorter version of Whaley and a classic Ollie recruit
Wilson is a high major caliber player. Whaley would still be on the bench in the A-10. They're not comparable.

Reaction Score
Whaley is taller - Fact

Come on. There is no comparison between the two players. One is an athletic wing player who is already in the rotation and will be a contributor for as long as he is here. The other is a hard worker with minimal skills on the offensive end who has fallen out of the rotation due to his inability to play defense in Coach Hurley's system. If there was ever a game where he could have been used, it was Saturday when both Cobb and Carlton were saddled with three fouls. He wasn't used.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wilson looks electric at times to me; he definitely has the type of ability that looks rare. I still don’t know about his head and his heart, but with ability like that and at least a few years to work with, I would definitely invest a lot more in him before giving up on him.

Reaction Score
Wilson looks electric at times to me; he definitely has the type of ability that looks rare. I still don’t know about his head and his heart, but with ability like that and at least a few years to work with, I would definitely invest a lot more in him before giving up on him.
Him and AG have the highest upside on this team by far. Anyone giving up on either of them already doesn't know what they're talking about

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom