State of the Program | Page 3 | The Boneyard

State of the Program

Reaction Score
We need to play more Kwintin this year.
He can obviously jump out of the gym, but you have to remember that this is a guy who was recruited by P5 schools. And you also have to remember that it was academic issues that led to his bouncing around everywhere -- these were not issues related to his ability on the court. I'm seeing a KFree/Sticks hybrid with a pinch of Marcus White and a dash of Eric Hayward. The fact that KO could bring in someone like this at this point in the recruiting season really says it all, doesn't it? Of course we'll have to wait and see, but you just can't teach jumping ability like that. The guy's going to bang his head on the roof, and I'll be the first one with a broom to help sweep the chips from the roof off the floor. This guy is a gamer.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He can obviously jump out of the gym, but you have to remember that this is a guy who was recruited by P5 schools. And you also have to remember that it was academic issues that led to his bouncing around everywhere -- these were not issues related to his ability on the court. I'm seeing a KFree/Sticks hybrid with a pinch of Marcus White and a dash of Eric Hayward. The fact that KO could bring in someone like this at this point in the recruiting season really says it all, doesn't it? Of course we'll have to wait and see, but you just can't teach jumping ability like that. The guy's going to bang his head on the roof, and I'll be the first one with a broom to help sweep the chips from the roof off the floor. This guy is a gamer.
You should make it clear that you're quoting someone in that thread. P5 programs that might have taken a chance on an athletic project when he was 18-19 had probably seen enough to say "no thanks" when he was 23. I don't think he can dunk at all if he has to dribble the ball more than once.

Reaction Score
You should make it clear that you're quoting someone in that thread. P5 programs that might have taken a chance on an athletic project when he was 18-19 had probably seen enough to say "no thanks" when he was 23. I don't think he can dunk at all if he has to dribble the ball more than once.
I wasn't quoting anyone specifically in that thread.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs better talent. 2020 & 2021 is where it starts
That’s it in a nutshell. Period. Hurley is doing what he can with this group. Changing the culture. He’s doing it. Recruiting better players. He is off to a good start. Performing magic and turning our front court into an elite level frontcourt? Does anyone really expect that? Welsh said it best during the game. The other announcer said the frontcourt needs to get better. Welsh said they are not going to. THEY ARE NOT THAT GOOD. Nice to hear an honest pronouncement from a commentator. We need to be a little more patient, some of us. As for arm chair nit picking over this or that decision by Hurley during a game, I pay no attention to that. He is a top notch coach. None of us are that ( as far as I know).

Reaction Score
That’s it in a nutshell. Period. Hurley is doing what he can with this group. Changing the culture. He’s doing it. Recruiting better players. He is off to a good start. Performing magic and turning our front court into an elite level frontcourt? Does anyone really expect that? Welsh said it best during the game. The other announcer said the frontcourt needs to get better. Welsh said they are not going to. THEY ARE NOT THAT GOOD. Nice to hear an honest pronouncement from a commentator. We need to be a little more patient, some of us. As for arm chair nit picking over this or that decision by Hurley during a game, I pay no attention to that. He is a top notch coach. None of us are that ( as far as I know).
This has been my view since he was hired. I think Mike Anthony is on target. Adams is good not great and is surrounded by a bunch of mediocre players. This year is merely getting through the season without being embarrassed. An NIT bid would be gravy. The Hurley era starts for real next year.

Reaction Score
This has been my view since he was hired. I think Mike Anthony is on target. Adams is good not great and is surrounded by a bunch of mediocre players. This year is merely getting through the season without being embarrassed. An NIT bid would be gravy. The Hurley era starts for real next year.
I agree with everything that was said. Its just frustrating because its like we just fell off a cliff. We destroyed the cupcakes on the schedule which was something we could not do the last few years. Syracuse was a good win, we could have beaten Arizona, and we played FSU tough. Then, all of a sudden it seems like we hit a wall. I dont think we are as good as we showed vs Syracuse and Arizona, but I also dont think we are as bad as we have played the last 3 games. At least thats what im hoping, but from what we have seen from the second half of the Villanova game, things dont seem like they are about to trend upward any time soon.

Reaction Score
AG is technically a freshman. Chill.

Kemba took 70 games to become the man.
Shabazz took over 100 to become the man.

Alterique has played 26.

No need to chill. Talking about right now. Where this team is up to this point. Would have said the same about Bazz or Kemba in the moment. I did not elaborate on where AG will be. He is talented.

Reaction Score

Alterique has played 26.

Also, both Kemba and Bazz had someone to teach them along the way. AG has to be Kemba and/or Bazz right now.

Reaction Score
This is year #1 of a pretty substantial rebuild. I think we're right on track as to where we should be. We'll have a winning record, we're on pace for a top 20 recruiting class. I'd say that's a pretty good start for a program that hasn't had a recruiting class in three years and was a flaming pile of crap last year.

My advice to fans throughout this would be to just remember what the priorities are every year and don't get greedy. Next year, I hope to see a step forward and continued recruiting. That's it. Nothing more. Not expecting them to beat this team, not lose to that team, go this far in the whatever tournament - none of it. Just keep moving the needle forward, is all.

This is a rebuild. Not a reload or a return. A rebuild. Can't skip the building part.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Alterique has played 26.

Walker was a huge part of a final four team as a freshman.

Not that I don’t think Gilbert has promise he’s nowhere near that level apples to apples today.

Reaction Score

Not that I don’t think Gilbert has promise he’s nowhere near that level apples to apples today.

The eye test shows us that he doesn't have Kemba's burst or quickness. Comparing squads is kind of pointless, though. A player being forced into a leading role on a mediocre/bad team is a lot different than being a supporting player on a great one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Not how I remember it. Couldn't shoot worth a lick. Overpenetrated more than Gilbert. Had that one big game in the tournament. Kemba showed a hint of what could be, but exactly zero people predicted his Jr year ahead of time ie irl NPOY

Not remotely an apples to apples comparison though. Stepping back, kemba played with much,much, much much better players. And having thabeet behind you changes the defensive game entirely for a guard.

Most importantly,kemba wasn't coming off 2 Major shoulder surgeries and two years on the shelf rehabbing.

Reaction Score
Not how I remember it. Couldn't shoot worth a lick. Overpenetrated more than Gilbert. Had that one big game in the tournament.

Not remotely an apples to apples comparison though. Stepping back, kemba played with much,much, much much better players. And having thabeet behind you changes the defensive game entirely for a guard.

Most importantly,kemba wasn't coming off 2 Major shoulder surgeries and two years on the shelf rehabbing.

I remember Kemba was a mess his freshman year.

Literally, a mess. A good mess sometimes, but a mess.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gilbert’s handle should be better than it has been of late, and he has to stop driving into the trees and throwing up with no chance. His defense is very good and his shot is better than expected. Most of all, he’s right in the head. I believe he’s going to leave here with a distinguished college career.

Reaction Score
Tired of hearing no talent. Changing the team isn't working. Everyone is saying JA is in a funk. No, he is not handling the ball all the time like last year. We have downgraded the schedule, added talent and hired a fix it coach. Team is not playing better to me. State of the program....still up in the air.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Come on. Kemba played 61.5% of the minutes for a team that went 31-5 against competition that Gilbert would drown against.

Of course the injuries mitigate the comparison but Walker played in the FF at 18 and Gilbert is already 21.

I’m trying to play nice but I don’t think you realize the curve you are grading these guys as compared to the past.

Also, Kemba shot a bad percentage on small sample of threes but shot 53% from 2. Gilbert has made a good percentage of three and shoots 37% from 2.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tired of hearing no talent. Changing the team isn't working. Everyone is saying JA is in a funk. No, he is not handling the ball all the time like last year. We have downgraded the schedule, added talent and hired a fix it coach. Team is not playing better to me. State of the program....still up in the air.

I have no idea what you are watching if you don’t think they are playing better this year. Ball movement, off the ball movement are dramatically better. Defense has been spotty and needs to be more consistent. Shooting has remained mostly bad.

Is it the talent? I’d argue it is the way the talent fits together, it doesn’t. You are right, Jalen is better at the PG spot, but so is Al. Al can shoot so he isn’t useless at the SG like Jalen. We’ve got 4 guards under 6’2”. We’ve got two skinny wings who aren’t physical. We have one injured PF, and another who can’t score, so the skinny wings play PF. We have a center who can’t jump, and one who can’t play defense. That’s the roster. Do they all suck? No. But they don’t compliment each other.

Now look at next year. Al will have the PG spot with a freshman backup to learn.
CV will correctly be a SG with Boughknight and Adams behind him most likely. A 6’5” SG and a 6’4” combo guard.
Wilson, Polley and Adams can fight out who will play SF
Diarra and dynamic shotblocker Akok at PF, with Whaley for depth
Carlton and whoever else we can bring in at the 5.

It’s not great until we get two more bigs, but you can see how these prices fit better.

Reaction Score
2 more quality bigs to start to become a force. Sounds so easy huh?

Reaction Score
Please tell me when Wilson did anything to make you think he is more than an over hyped bench guy.

Wilson is a shorter version of Whaley and a classic Ollie recruit

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The bottom line the talent is questionable from years gone by on this team. There is no true leader which is a problem and will continue to be a problem until someone takes the team over as their own.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Come on. Kemba played 61.5% of the minutes for a team that went 31-5 against competition that Gilbert would drown against.

Of course the injuries mitigate the comparison but Walker played in the FF at 18 and Gilbert is already 21.

I’m trying to play nice but I don’t think you realize the curve you are grading these guys as compared to the past.

Also, Kemba shot a bad percentage on small sample of threes but shot 53% from 2. Gilbert has made a good percentage of three and shoots 37% from 2.

And yet he was still a bit player. He played with one of our headiest/steadiest PGs in history. One of the most dominating defensive centers in MCBB history. One of the most athletic rangy fowards in UCONN history. One of the biggest beasts down low. And so on and so on. Leaving Gilbert aside, there's only one player on this team who would even get minutes on 2009 (Jalen). And he wouldn't even start.

Kemba had infinite wiggle room. He could make mistake after mistake, and most of the time, it wouldn't matter.

You know the likely reason Kemba made a better percentage of 2's? Cause when he drove the lane, he had Adrien, Robinson, Thabeet and Adrien to dish or lob to. Defensive guys had to be honest. Or he could pass out to Dyson, AJP, heck even Austrie for outside shots.

Gilbert has friggin Carlton and Polley inside. When our guards drive the lane, the defense knows they have nobody to pass it to. They just converge and that's that. It looks like trees because it is.

Whaler the curve is friggin massive. And it's the only way to make a fair comparison. Kemba would look quite similar to Gilbert this year on this team. At least Gilbert can stroke it a bit. Teams would just back off Kemba crow the lane and be done with it.

The easiest way to make a player look better is to play him with good players. And conversely, the easiest way to make a player look worse is to play him with poor players.

And by cavalierly writing off the injury thing, you're taking away from reasoned analysis. What the hell does age matter when you can't practice or train and all you are doing is fixing a broken machine hoping it works right again? You don't get better by merely growing older.

By the time the NCAA tournament rolled around, Kemba had far, far more mileage under his treads than Gilbert has now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom