Starting line up and first off the bench | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting line up and first off the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To begin the season,TBS, KML, KS , MJ and Chong but KN starts by New Year instead of Chong

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
OK, I'll venture:

Stewie, Kay (as Geno calls her), Mojeff, KS and KN, with MT as the 6th man, and any number of people as back-up 2 guards. Who backs up MoJeff?

Reaction Score
GO: Sounds like you have seen a fair amount of her? If so, would you mind refreshing us/me on what you saw as her pluses and minuses? (I've seen next to no footage of her, if any, and nothing in person.) Many thanks for any light you can shed.
I haven't seen Gabby play live, just going off what I heard and read. The reason I don't have Nurse starting at the 2, I think she will be the backup point guard and for the foreseeable future.

U

UCONNfan1

No one seems to be giving Edwards a shot, but wasn't she the highest consensus rated player in the class? She could surprise some people too. Not saying she will be the starting 2G, but she has to have been ranked that high for a reason...

Reaction Score
Tuck is a truly elite talent. I think if she is really healthy she plays herself into shape with significant minutes and begins starting ahead of Stokes by mid-season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tuck is a truly elite talent. I think if she is really healthy she plays herself into shape with significant minutes and begins starting ahead of Stokes by mid-season.

I'd be pretty close to stunned if Stokes were moved to the bench at any point unless her effort level and performance are just awful. She fits as a true center and her size, athleticism, and shot-blocking down low make her unique on the team.

I wish I felt more confident in Tuck's health but this latest surgery was significant.

Reaction Score
With all due respect,, and you are one of the most insightful posters, I don't see MT moving into a center type role as a replacement for KS. KS is such a great defender that the guards can take chances knowing their back is covered. Further , KS is fairly proficient at starting the fast break. IMO, we also don't want TBS playing center as that could make her late in the offensive flow. MT has a significant role... sort of Barkleyesque. She will be a force but probably not in lieu of KS

Reaction Score
With all due respect,, and you are one of the most insightful posters, I don't see MT moving into a center type role as a replacement for KS. KS is such a great defender that the guards can take chances knowing their back is covered. Further , KS is fairly proficient at starting the fast break. IMO, we also don't want TBS playing center as that could make her late in the offensive flow. MT has a significant role... sort of Barkleyesque. She will be a force but probably not in lieu of KS
Yeah I sorta have a problem seeing Tuck as a true center, but - if totally healthy - I don't think her offensive potential can be ignored. And she has more than adequate strength down low. Let me revise my prediction to just that a healthy Morgan Tuck works herself into the starting lineup "some way" by mid-season.

Some people here would play Morgan at the 3 or 4 (and KML at 2). I don't know how it ends up, but at some point I think when we face legitimate competition Geno will figure out how to have his 5 best players on the floor. Although we probably won't be challenged that often, when that does happen he won't want that group be playing together for the first time.

Reaction Score
I'd be pretty close to stunned if Stokes were moved to the bench at any point unless her effort level and performance are just awful. She fits as a true center and her size, athleticism, and shot-blocking down low make her unique on the team.

I wish I felt more confident in Tuck's health but this latest surgery was significant.
Stokes is great coming in off the bench. Players coming in off the bench can play flat-out without having to worry about pacing themselves. She might even be better this way, and I could see her getting 18-20 minutes in that role, overlapping with Tuck with "big" lineup on the floor.

Reaction Score
How quickly we forget....Let's not forget about a young lady that brings some 'D' and 'O' to the floor at the 2-guard spot. And that young lady goes by the name of Courtney Ekmark. Don't rule her out just yet... Saniya has more game experience but Ekmark has more size and may be more deadly from the perimeter.

I agreee with this board on the first 4 ( Stewie , KML , Stokes , MoJeff ) , but I think that 5th spot is clearly up for grabs and is going to be a dog fight , no pun intended. And the top dog emerging from that fight could be a new pup in the pound.

Yes, HGN, yes! I'd love to see Chong succeed but last year showed little reason to be that hopeful. And though Nurse performed great (superb D, ballhandling) playing against the best in FIBA, she showed little in terms of an outside offensive game. With Moriah playing the true point (running the O, assisting, playing killer D), the backcourt is gonna need someone offensive at the 2. With all the work Courtney Ekmark put into training (strength and conditioning) while homeschooling her senior year, specifically to prepare for the step-up in college competition, and at 5ft 11, with an outside shot and range that is said to be outstanding, I have a feeling she will be earning lots of PT.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Ekmark's height would be really good at the 2 as well, don't you think? Maybe Nurse could be the back up for Mojeff and Ekmark become the starting 2. She is an amazing kid. It will be interesting to see the situation with Edwards, too. So many factors, my head is buzzing. Hasn't been such a conglomerate of different pieces and talents to play with some time. We've had some very short benches, and this is a different situation.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ekmark's height would be really good at the 2 as well, don't you think?

I like her height at the two, just wonder if she has the quickness defensively. If she does, she might be the perfect fit for the other starting spot. I really like Chong's skill but think she's best with the ball in her hands which means it's going to be hard for her to make an impact at UConn, or at least as big an impact as everyone would like.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I find it fascinating how some folks are jumping to conclusions about players they 1) have NEVER seen perform in a college game or 2) haven't seen their improvement or regression since last year or 3) do not know how recovery from injury is proceeding.

It used to be at this time of year one of the bestest aspects of the BY were the reports from our on-scene spies who would go to the pickup games and workouts and have some good (or at least tantalizing) firsthand info. I ain't seen ANY of that this year. Maybe all our beloved BY spies are gone.

Courtney, Gabby and Sadie are total mysteries at there current level, so any comments concerning their roles on the team are worthless. Kia we've got some exposure to playing international ball but not a whit of evidence of how she fits into the team.

Its nice to hear positive reports about Morgan's health (and Gabby's), but I sure as hell aren't going to believe any of them until I see the proof on the court -- we've been bamboozled by hopeful medical reports many times in the past.

So, basically, the only opinions that can be backed up at all concern KML, Kiah, Breanna, Moriah, Saniya, Briana and Tierney -- it's a safe projection the latter two will be support players -- and to a limited degree Kia. There's a lot of enthusiasm for her, but it's entirely possible Sadie, Courtney and Gabby are all better.

We can all have opinions. I think those based on some evidence is a bit more convincing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one seems to be giving Edwards a shot, but wasn't she the highest consensus rated player in the class? She could surprise some people too. Not saying she will be the starting 2G, but she has to have been ranked that high for a reason...
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the post. If you have seen Sadie play, you would see that she has all the qualities discussed. She is a stud athlete, great ball handler, very good defender, great passer, can get to the basket and create her own shot. If she doesn't start, I can see her being a key player coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
With Ekmark's rep as a shooter, I wouldn't rule her out, especially if she has a good handle.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We can all have opinions. I think those based on some evidence is a bit more convincing.

Why do we need evidence to voice opinions? This isn't a court of law. We're simply hypothesizing about the future lineup as pretty much every fan of every sports team does at one point or another.

If all topics around here were limited to fact-based observation this site would have 1/1oth the content and traffic.

Reaction Score
It used to be at this time of year one of the bestest aspects of the BY were the reports from our on-scene spies who would go to the pickup games and workouts and have some good (or at least tantalizing) firsthand info. I ain't seen ANY of that this year. Maybe all our beloved BY spies are gone.
You make some interesting points.

From what I've read, players have had some individual coaching sessions and pick up games in the new Champions Center. The state of the art training center has less access to the public than Gambell. This could be part of the reason the Boneyard has had less firsthand info. I am way out on the West Coast. Can anyone corroborate my theorizing / speculation?

Reaction Score
How quickly we forget....Let's not forget about a young lady that brings some 'D' and 'O' to the floor at the 2-guard spot. And that young lady goes by the name of Courtney Ekmark. Don't rule her out just yet... Saniya has more game experience but Ekmark has more size and may be more deadly from the perimeter.

I agree with this board on the first 4 ( Stewie , KML , Stokes , MoJeff ) , but I think that 5th spot is clearly up for grabs and is going to be a dog fight , no pun intended. And the top dog emerging from that fight could be a new pup in the pound.

I'm most curious about Ekmark's handle. If she can be strong in that area, she could make a serious claim on that 2-guard spot.

Reaction Score
Geno is loathe to start Freshmen unless he has to. Morgan, if healthy, is too formidable a talent, and, especially, too intimidating on defense to sit on the bench. Saniya is a nice player, but exhibits poor shooting mechanics and cannot contribute enough offense at this level to hold onto the #2. That's where KML is headed, in my opinion. Very big lineup, almost impossible to score consistently against down low. Another championship year!

Reaction Score
I find it fascinating how some folks are jumping to conclusions about players they 1) have NEVER seen perform in a college game or 2) haven't seen their improvement or regression since last year or 3) do not know how recovery from injury is proceeding.

Courtney, Gabby and Sadie are total mysteries at there current level, so any comments concerning their roles on the team are worthless. Kia we've got some exposure to playing international ball but not a whit of evidence of how she fits into the team.

Its nice to hear positive reports about Morgan's health (and Gabby's), but I sure as hell aren't going to believe any of them until I see the proof on the court -- we've been bamboozled by hopeful medical reports many times in the past.

So, basically, the only opinions that can be backed up at all concern KML, Kiah, Breanna, Moriah, Saniya, Briana and Tierney -- it's a safe projection the latter two will be support players -- and to a limited degree Kia. There's a lot of enthusiasm for her, but it's entirely possible Sadie, Courtney and Gabby are all better.

I think you totally missed the point of the post.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm liking the idea of Eckmark at the 2 more n more. Of course this is all speculation on the players we haven't seen, but that's the way things are this time of year. It's fun to wonder and speculate.

Have you noticed not only how few spies we seem to have but also the deadly dull coverage of the upcoming season on ESPN. There is next to nothing.

It's already nearly mid October. Let's have something!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why do we need evidence to voice opinions? This isn't a court of law. We're simply hypothesizing about the future lineup as pretty much every fan of every sports team does at one point or another.

If all topics around here were limited to fact-based observation this site would have 1/1oth the content and traffic.
Exactly, facts smacts. We never needed no facts to post around here before. Why start now?

Reaction Score
Stewart, Stokes and Tuck will split the vast majority of minutes at the 4 and 5 positions. KML will start at the 3 with Ekmark backing her up. Jefferson as the starting point guard. That leaves some minutes as Jefferson's back up and the whole 2 guard position to fill. If Williams were healthy, she would be the front runner for the 2. As conditions exist today, the position is wide open. I see Edwards as Jefferson's back up and a battle royal for the 2 guard position. From where I'm sitting, the picture at the 2 is so unclear I'm hesitant to even venture a guess.

Free DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore