Starting line up and first off the bench | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting line up and first off the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Fascinating...can't wait to watch the games. Speaking of which how are we going to see the games this year on our laptops?

Reaction Score
Yeah I sorta have a problem seeing Tuck as a true center, but - if totally healthy - I don't think her offensive potential can be ignored. And she has more than adequate strength down low. Let me revise my prediction to just that a healthy Morgan Tuck works herself into the starting lineup "some way" by mid-season.

Some people here would play Morgan at the 3 or 4 (and KML at 2). I don't know how it ends up, but at some point I think when we face legitimate competition Geno will figure out how to have his 5 best players on the floor. Although we probably won't be challenged that often, when that does happen he won't want that group be playing together for the first time.

Agree 100%. There is only one team in the NCAA where Tuck(if healthy) isn't an automatic starter.... UCONN. Can't move Stewie or KML, and Kiah is only true center. I like the big lineup with KML at the 2 guard against a big opponent but a running team would cause all kinds of havoc. And I also believe MT will be starting by mid season. She is just way to good not to be a starter. Not sure how, but Geno will get her in there.

One more thing. I know I haven't seen as much of the team play as most of you, but I have never seen Morgan make a knucklehead play. They made her the team captain on the U-19 team for a reason. The coach liked her basketball IQ.

45 TO GO

Reaction Score
Fascinating...can't wait to watch the games. Speaking of which how are we going to see the games this year on our laptops?
Watch the games? I'd like to watch the scrimmages... they should be flying all over the gym trying to get some Geno love. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The starters will be MoJeff KML and Stewart. The second guard position and post position will be shared imo. I do believe that Kia Stokes has the advantage in the middle because of her defensive and shot blocking ability and Morgan coming back from another injury. Geno will have to keep an eye on Morgan as not to reinjury herself as she is a very big part of this years team. I also beleive Chong is the front leader for the second guard position, because of her experience last season and her ability to not turn the ball over frequently. Preseason Nurse should see alot of playtime because of her experience on Team Canada and looks like very good backup as does Williams and Edwards. Ekmark is a shooter not a ballhandling guard with the quickness of the others. One reason Asia Durr was scared away from UConn was because of Kia Nurse verballing. IMO that tells me Nurse is really good.

I see Tuck and Stokes sharing time depending on situations defensively and scoring. The other guard position needs to be a playmaker, ball handler, defensive player who knows the system and can execute plays. If we are full court pressed I cant see KML Stokes Tuck Stewie bring the ball up if MoJeff is bottled up. I also cant see them creating plays and moving the ball around like a guard can do. Without seeing anybody at practice. Ekmark is a pure shooter not a ball handling guard. She is not a play maker shes a shooter and most likely will play the wing or two guard much like KML.

Alot this season will be determined by last seasons injuries. That being playtime, and keeping players healthy come March. UConn this season will have very few challenges from opposing teams. SCarolina ND will be very talented but no where comparable to UConn. I dont see any games that UConn fans will have to worry about. Geno has put together a team that has out distanced themselves from any other team in WCBB. While other teams are scrambling to recruit players to Rebuild UConn still remains with a solid nucleus of players to build around.

I believe UConn will go undefeated this season and win another NC. Yes their could be a fluke which imo can only be caused by key injuries. We saw last season when Tuck and KML went down how UConn responded to 5 nationally ranked teams most games on the road. UConn didnt miss a beat. UConn is UConn and wont miss a beat this season either.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
The starters will be MoJeff KML and Stewart. The second guard position and post position will be shared imo. I do believe that Kia Stokes has the advantage in the middle because of her defensive and shot blocking ability and Morgan coming back from another injury. Geno will have to keep an eye on Morgan as not to reinjury herself as she is a very big part of this years team. I also beleive Chong is the front leader for the second guard position, because of her experience last season and her ability to not turn the ball over frequently. Preseason Nurse should see alot of playtime because of her experience on Team Canada and looks like very good backup as does Williams and Edwards. Ekmark is a shooter not a ballhandling guard with the quickness of the others. One reason Asia Durr was scared away from UConn was because of Kia Nurse verballing. IMO that tells me Nurse is really good.

I see Tuck and Stokes sharing time depending on situations defensively and scoring. The other guard position needs to be a playmaker, ball handler, defensive player who knows the system and can execute plays. If we are full court pressed I cant see KML Stokes Tuck Stewie bring the ball up if MoJeff is bottled up. I also cant see them creating plays and moving the ball around like a guard can do. Without seeing anybody at practice. Ekmark is a pure shooter not a ball handling guard. She is not a play maker shes a shooter and most likely will play the wing or two guard much like KML.

Alot this season will be determined by last seasons injuries. That being playtime, and keeping players healthy come March. UConn this season will have very few challenges from opposing teams. SCarolina ND will be very talented but no where comparable to UConn. I dont see any games that UConn fans will have to worry about. Geno has put together a team that has out distanced themselves from any other team in WCBB. While other teams are scrambling to recruit players to Rebuild UConn still remains with a solid nucleus of players to build around.

I believe UConn will go undefeated this season and win another NC. Yes their could be a fluke which imo can only be caused by key injuries. We saw last season when Tuck and KML went down how UConn responded to 5 nationally ranked teams most games on the road. UConn didnt miss a beat. UConn is UConn and wont miss a beat this season either.

Well, folks, here he comes with the windup..and the pitch...and yes! The season is underway!! You go,Tony!!

Reaction Score
The 5 best players will start- Tuck, KML,Jefferson, Stewart and Stokes. I've never quite understood the obsession with players being 1's, 2's , 3's, etc. Stokes will be the center, the other 4 all can handle the ball, and all 4 have been known to shoot the 3 from anywhere on the floor. With the motion that Uconn has in it's offense, they all ( except for the center) find themseleves at most of the spots on the floor during their offense. I guess you've got to have a so-called point guard and center, but the other 3 really , imo, could go without numbers, and without a label. What is very impressive,also, is that Tuck, KML, and Stewart all are very effective in the paint. If Morgan Tuck stays healthy, I think this will be the best team Uconn has ever put on the floor.

Reaction Score
I agree with Sluconn Husky. Kiah is a true center whose defense, rebounding and shot blocking ability will help take some of the pressure of the other players. Along with Breanna, they will each have more shot blocks than they did last year. I don't think anyone is disparaging Morgan; however, until she's proven to be 100% healthy, there is no need to rush her. Also, she's not the shot blocker that Kiah is. It's great to have an intimidating player protecting the rim.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The 5 best players will start- Tuck, KML,Jefferson, Stewart and Stokes.

You must feel confident that KML can defend guards. I know I'm not. That said, it's an issue that wouldn't even hurt them overall in the vast majority of games. But in key ones she could be exploited on defense in that lineup.

Reaction Score
I hope the starting lienup is anything but MoJeff, KML, Tuck, Stewie and Stokes. IMO you have to have one of the others - either SC or the frosh as one of the starters. You can certainly get away with the big lienup.

But imo this lineup is too slow and suspectible to be taken down by a hot team from the perimeter. They could probably win it on just talent anyways but imo this lineup is "without pace." When I mentioned slow from above - I didn't mean "foot speed" but I meant for example transitioning from defense to offense - other than MoJeff there isn't one of these other four that can handle on the break other than take a dribble or two. Other good teams (exclduing the lousy ones) could stop the ball in an instant.

And getting back on defense - I don't want Stewie or Tuck messing around on ther perimeter possibly getting a couple of cheap fouls on slight bump. They aren't accustomed to this. I want Stewie blocking shots and fighting for rebounds. I want others giving them the ball on the break so they are less likely to commit offensive fouls in which the smaller guards we all know will fake a charge 30 feet from the basket. If we use our guards we limit the possibility of these cheap fouls.

I could see us playing some zones with this lineup, but why do it? We recruited high school all-american caliber guards. Let the guards learn to play with college all-american caliber players.

Reaction Score
Stewart, Stokes and Tuck will split the vast majority of minutes at the 4 and 5 positions. KML will start at the 3 with Ekmark backing her up. Jefferson as the starting point guard. That leaves some minutes as Jefferson's back up and the whole 2 guard position to fill. If Williams were healthy, she would be the front runner for the 2. As conditions exist today, the position is wide open. I see Edwards as Jefferson's back up and a battle royal for the 2 guard position. From where I'm sitting, the picture at the 2 is so unclear I'm hesitant to even venture a guess.

Free DD

I think CE might also be able to play the sg and possibly play it well.

Reaction Score
No one seems to be giving Edwards a shot, but wasn't she the highest consensus rated player in the class? She could surprise some people too. Not saying she will be the starting 2G, but she has to have been ranked that high for a reason...

Just the bit I saw of the a/a game her shot looked suspect. In her rankings they rank on potentital. Anyhow, if she can't shoot well- in high school not a biog deal she could drive and score. AT this level with her size and being just a frosh, she either has to be a defensive dynamo like our KFaris or she has to have something else super like incredible passer. Being "better" defneisvley than say CE but can't shoot on offense would hurt her a lot more. If she could stick shots I'd change my vote!

Reaction Score
You must feel confident that KML can defend guards. I know I'm not. That said, it's an issue that wouldn't even hurt them overall in the vast majority of games. But in key ones she could be exploited on defense in that lineup.
whoever gets around KML will have Stewart and Stokes waiting for them.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Why do we need evidence to voice opinions? This isn't a court of law. We're simply hypothesizing about the future lineup as pretty much every fan of every sports team does at one point or another.

If all topics around here were limited to fact-based observation this site would have 1/1oth the content and traffic.

well, I am actually in Paco's camp. speculation especially before the season starts, while appearing to be fun and harmless, can lead to expectations higher than a player or two can manage.

I can be all wrong about this, but regardless, I stand with him on this. We will know when we know it...and not before.

And what we see at the beginning of the season may not stay, as things will shake out as the season wears on.

Reaction Score
If Tuck starts, the entire bench is 5 guards. (or may be 4 G and 1 small F). Very little flexibility.

But if you start a guard, many more options for substituting.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I doubt the players' performances hinge on our expectations. We're just guessing at lineup formations.
I didn't say that...it is the expectations of the posters that need to be managed...

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Well, it's very good practice for us, and the best of fun, and gets us really into the players and possibilities. No harm comes of it. Rady, it's like thinking about who will play certain parts in an up and coming opera.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I didn't say that...it is the expectations of the posters that need to be managed...

Oh, well good luck with that around here. :)

If it makes you feel any better I worry about the health of both Williams and Tuck as well as what happens if Stokes gets into serious foul trouble in big games. :D

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Oh, well good luck with that around here. :)

If it makes you feel any better I worry about the health of both Williams and Tuck as well as what happens if Stokes gets into serious foul trouble in big games. :D

doesn't make me feel any better. I don't like to speculate about player's health either...but that's just me. It is a realistic worry, I get that.

And I have been hanging around this board for a number of years over several iterations so.....

Reaction Score
well, I am actually in Paco's camp. speculation especially before the season starts, while appearing to be fun and harmless, can lead to expectations higher than a player or two can manage.

I can be all wrong about this, but regardless, I stand with him on this. We will know when we know it...and not before.

And what we see at the beginning of the season may not stay, as things will shake out as the season wears on.

I stand with slu on this.

Reaction Score
Stokes, Stewie, KML, Williams( if healthy) Mojeff, with Tuck as the 6th man. Pre injury I thought Williams could have turned out the be one of the top 4 players on the whole uconn team.
Agree.Without a doubt.......How many have seen Williams play healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom