Starting line up and first off the bench | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Starting line up and first off the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
C'mon, y'all. Who starts does not matter a hill of beans. At the start of the season, everyone who is healthy will get lots of time. About halfway through the season, Geno will have seen enough to cut the rotation down to maybe seven or eight prime-time players. And whoever those seven or eight players turn out to be, they will be good enough to win another NC. Kiah, Morgan, KML, MoJet and Stewie are locks for the rotation, bar injury; The identity of the other two or three, probably two, won't really matter to the success of the team. I am betting on Saniya and one, maybe two, of the frosh. Which frosh, I have no idea at this point nor does anyone else. It is going to be very interesting, and very fun.

Reaction Score
It seems to me there is way too much emphasis on the necessity for outstanding 3-point shooting skills from the two guard in this discussion. With three starters already able to hit the three consistently, the need for a slash and dish player at that position seems desirable, if not necessary. There is absolutely no question that Kia Nurse has by far and away the most experience of any of the candidates; none of the other four have even one minute of international play. I would be totally shocked if she were not starting, at least early in the season. Didn't we just see Geno coach a team that essentially had two point guards on the floor at the same time? Also, when Taurasi came out, her sub was not a particularly strong three-point shooter. I'm not trying to compare UConn to the National team by any means; just using it as an illustration of a situation where Geno constructed an offense that did not necessarily need a strong three-point shooter at the two. Just imagine an offensive set where one side is cleared out and a six-foot guard (Nurse) runs a pick and roll, give and go or post feed with Stewie. Who stops that?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
boreifs said:
It seems to me there is way too much emphasis on the necessity for outstanding 3-point shooting skills from the two guard in this discussion. With three starters already able to hit the three consistently, the need for a slash and dish player at that position seems desirable, if not necessary. There is absolutely no question that Kia Nurse has by far and away the most experience of any of the candidates; none of the other four have even one minute of international play. I would be totally shocked if she were not starting, at least early in the season. Didn't we just see Geno coach a team that essentially had two point guards on the floor at the same time? Also, when Taurasi came out, her sub was not a particularly strong three-point shooter. I'm not trying to compare UConn to the National team by any means; just using it as an illustration of a situation where Geno constructed an offense that did not necessarily need a strong three-point shooter at the two. Just imagine an offensive set where one side is cleared out and a six-foot guard (Nurse) runs a pick and roll, give and go or post feed with Stewie. Who stops that?

A strong 3 point shooter will spread the defense opening up more opportunities to score

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no question that Kia Nurse has by far and away the most experience of any of the candidates; none of the other four have even one minute of international play.
Actually, almost all do. Stewie just won a gold in the WC. Mojeff, Tuck, KML and Eckmark all have gold medals from international tournaments while in HS and college. Not against pros but against other country's best. But everything else you said made sense. :) I just reread your post and I think you meant other four as to the freshman.

45 TO GO

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think a lot of it depends on the type of offense Geno wants to run this year with no Dolson at the high post. If he decides he's not changing it up too much and that Stokes can fill that high post void, then we might see Nurse, Chong or Williams if healthy. I personally think Stokes can be very effective on the low block, perhaps more effective there than high post unless her shot has really improved; she can pass, but doesn't have four years experience as the facilitator from that spot like Dolson did. I'd like to see her on the low block and, if she is, I think Ekmark has a good chance at that starting 2 guard slot with her ability to stretch defenses as another 3 point threat alongside KML and Stewart.

Reaction Score
Geno is loathe to start Freshmen unless he has to.

I think this is true to start the season, but by the time the conference schedule starts, if a Freshman stands out in practice and game time, they see time as a starter.

Then again, Geno is known to reserve a superb Freshman (or any other player that many here may feel deserves a starting spot) to be the first off the bench. It can be a psychological advantage to bring in a sub that is as good as, and in some cases better than, a starter. Down right demoralizing to the other team to see the first sub come in and there be no drop off from the starting lineup.

It isn't who starts that is important...on UConn's team, starters are not guaranteed the most minutes.

No matter who Geno starts it is a winning lineup. That is the beauty of Huskies women's basketball.

Reaction Score
well, I am actually in Paco's camp. speculation especially before the season starts, while appearing to be fun and harmless, can lead to expectations higher than a player or two can manage.

I can be all wrong about this, but regardless, I stand with him on this. We will know when we know it...and not before.

And what we see at the beginning of the season may not stay, as things will shake out as the season wears on.
There's nothing to fear but fear itself. Why squash the fun; it's not religion, ethics or politics?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There's nothing to fear but fear itself. Why squash the fun; it's not religion, ethics or politics?

I find valid, all sides of this discussion.
Sonny has a point and Paco and Rady as well.
But if one is fantasizing,
let's go a step further…Suppose Geno is unhappy with someone in practice.
Kia has played that role before.
And decides to go without a true center…then Morgan might start (if she's really, really healthy).
Or if not,
CE on a wing with Kia and Mo as guards and of course Kaleena and Stewie
Crazy no?
But not impossible, the combinations are almost endless.

I'm not suggesting in any shape or form that this is my take on a starting line-up.
But it becomes clear, no matter how much one fidgets with the various combinations
That they all add up to a National Championship, must likely an undefeated season
An embarrassment of riches.
So, most of all, I'm in Tony's camp

Reaction Score
I doubt the players' performances hinge on our expectations. We're just guessing at lineup formations.
I agree with you on this Slu. I think that Geno and the team have high expectations every year, that's why these recruits come here is to play for the no. 1 coach and team in the country. I think guessing the line-up is just a fun thing to do. Geno will be Geno and play whoever it takes to be no. 1 at the end of the year. As far as posters go, I think every poster and every UCONN basketball fan will always have high expectations because of their success. I think that could be said for all the Coaches, players and fans of UCONN basketball.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Actually, almost all do. Stewie just won a gold in the WC. Mojeff, Tuck, KML and Ekmark all have gold medals from international tournaments while in HS and college. Not against pros but against other country's best. But everything else you said made sense. :) I just reread your post and I think you meant other four as to the freshman.

I dont believe Ekmark ever made a USA team.

Reaction Score
It can be a psychological advantage to bring in a sub that is as good as, and in some cases better than, a starter. Down right demoralizing to the other team to see the first sub come in and there be no drop off from the starting lineup.

I like this logic. In the spirit of "demoralizing the other team" what if we start Tuck, Stokes, Courtney, Saniya, Kia. Bring Stewie, KML and MoJeff in from the bench. You know the starters are going to try and play their butts off to become "real" starters. Might make for an interesting first 7 or 8 minutes of the game. :):)

45 TO GO

Reaction Score
I like this logic. In the spirit of "demoralizing the other team" what if we start Tuck, Stokes, Courtney, Saniya, Kia. Bring Stewie, KML and MoJeff in from the bench. You know the starters are going to try and play their butts off to become "real" starters. Might make for an interesting first 7 or 8 minutes of the game.

For conference games, I'd love to see Stewie, mojet, KML sit. I'd actually watch those games. At full strength, those games will be super snoozers.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Is there a single conference game that can make us break a sweat? I don't think so. That is one of the hardest things, probably. But Geno knows what to do. Um, remind me, what do you do?

Reaction Score

I see what you are saying regarding too much emphasis. Thisis all just wild speculation. Anyhow, while I give slight edge to Kia Nurse - my 2nd is SC - I think both GW and CE have a shot though who knows with GW's knees - how rusty she is etc. But just look at is 2012-2013 semi-finals vs Notre Dame- we had just 1 pg starting. So we don't "need" two pgs.

With Kia - I think her combination of either limitation/ceiling will be determined as to how well/efficiently she can hit open outside shots without shying way from taking them. Using your example of Kia and Stewie - a top-tier team may very well sag on the pick-and-roll and allow Kia to shoot the outside shot off the dribble. If I'm the defense - is it better to have Kia take outside shots off an isolation pick-and-roll rather than ball movement getting KML and Stewie the ball for open shots? If the defense sags - can Kia pick up her dribble and hit the open shot vs a top-tier team in a pressure situation (its one thing to hit stationary shots when your feet are set. It's another to hit shots off the dribble.)? If you aren't going to run it in a pressure situations then what's so important of running it at all?

I agree thougg but for me it is slight edge to Kia with Saniya a very close 2nd. But I think CE or GW have legit shots too.

Reaction Score
For conference games, I'd love to see Stewie, mojet, KML sit. I'd actually watch those games. At full strength, those games will be super snoozers.

I'd actually do the opposite. I'd watch some of the game without these players but not watching these supreme players execute excellent basketball on a consistent level - I'd feel like I'm being ripped off. So I probably wouldn't watch the whole game. What I love about watching these games is the execution. Winning an ugly sloppy game is usually boring for me.

For example, last year I saw MoJeff make some incredible amazing moves (not just the ones where she blows by the defender because of speed). Just isolated though an occassional super move. I'd like to see if she can do more of it on a consistent level. And she couldn't shoot a lick as a frosh. Last year I almost went throug the tv when an annoucer I think Burke - crtiicized her for taking a particular 3 - I thought it was a good shot. I don't want to hear that garbage any more from anaysts liek Doris Burke who over the years I think has lost it a bit. I want to see MoJeff as a knockdown 3 pt threat.

And many other things I'm interested with regarding KML and BS.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yes, I want Mo to have a dangerous three for sure. If she has picked that up over the summer it will be really great.

Spies, wherefore art thou, spies?

Reaction Score
I am not sure if you realize it or not but Jefferson led the team last year in 3pt% at .418(Lawlor shot .421 but only had 19 attempts).

Reaction Score
I am not sure if you realize it or not but Jefferson led the team last year in 3pt% at .418(Lawlor shot .421 but only had 19 attempts).

Despite being number 1 in percentage she was also 5th on the team in 3pa's. I want to see more.

Reaction Score
And she was fourth on the team in blocked shots!!! :)

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I didn't realize it! Thanks so much. I'm surprised. I was thinking of Kay as the best 3-point shooter on the team. Maybe her injuries kept her from achieving the potential she has. CE is supposed to be a fine 3-baller, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom