St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
We are showing that we can absorb hard play from teams that cannot beat us without it. And, like Calhoun-era Big East teams, we are capable of playing and winning OCC games that are called more tightly.
Agree 100%. We are learning the BE style and that can only help.

Good win by the Huskies and the referees were fine.
Consistency is always the issue and is difficult to achieve. Given that, they called it tight for the most part, and for both sides, so I personally prefer that. Unlike, say at Providence, when it was called soooo one sided.

Reaction Score
This is just one fun team to watch right now. Once again contributions from everyone! That halftime stat of our bench being 10-15 was amazing.

Playing with such energy, on both ends. DH and crew also kudos - substitution patterns were spot on. Go huskies!

Reaction Score
Can these announcers call every UConn game. Sometimes I think I’m too hard on Donny Marshall but then I hear announcers like we had today - nope :)

They were enthusiastic, knowledgeable and really tuned into the game.
You can't be too hard on Donny. He's insufferable.

Reaction Score
We are showing that we can absorb hard play from teams that cannot beat us without it. And, like Calhoun-era Big East teams, we are capable of playing and winning OCC games that are called more tightly.
Yep, the Big East is just different. The league makes you battle tested but it also hurts some teams who can only play that physical way. NCAA tournament time and they don't let you mug everyone like they do in the league. Those Pitt teams under Howland and Dixon were always hurt by it and UConn teams were often better for it because they could win ugly and pretty. This team has shown it can blow teams out playing pretty in non-conference play and now they're showing they can blow teams out playing ugly in conference play.

If we play to our identity and guys keep playing to their strengths this team can do special things.

Reaction Score
We have no idea, because for better or worse, Hurley has never shut his trap in a basketball game. Staring at the ref is not something he knows how to do--he just screams at them lol
Mccaffery was T’d up twice in a row the other night and ejected, he was trying a different tactic.

Reaction Score
My friend a St. John's fan didn't see the game but texted me that the 2nd half was a tie. Well yes but we nursed a big lead and they scored at the end in garbage time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn would be in the market for a 2 seed if it had not lost to St. Johns at the XL.
I'm still going with the take that SJU played really well that game. They made shots. The question is why haven't they won more to help us by association.

Reaction Score
If I am Donny, stay a bit more positive and in tune with the game. Don’t worry about being a homer for UConn and springing theories you have all game - just call it and stay in the spirit of the game.

Today‘s announcers really kept interest high in a game that was never all that close.
We always have to find something to be critical of each game. I guess now it is someone who wasn’t even at the game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm still going with the take that SJU played really well that game. They made shots. The question is why haven't they won more to help us by association.
Bc they’re a bad team

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It was interesting that they didn’t play the sag way off Andre defense
He’s at his best when he plays in the flow of the game and not shooting threes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
what woman?
A St. John’s fan right behind the announcers was going bananas for about 4 minutes screaming at the refs. You could hear it all. I think in the beginning of the second half

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 5.34.47 PM.png

Lol

Reaction Score
A St. John’s fan right behind the announcers was going bananas for about 4 minutes screaming at the refs. You could hear it all. I think in the beginning of the second half
Yes, there are at least a dozen posts in this thread about it. Including a screen shot of the lady.

Reaction Score
Was unable to watch. Sucks that CBS doesn’t have a replay

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yep, the Big East is just different. The league makes you battle tested but it also hurts some teams who can only play that physical way. NCAA tournament time and they don't let you mug everyone like they do in the league. Those Pitt teams under Howland and Dixon were always hurt by it and UConn teams were often better for it because they could win ugly and pretty. This team has shown it can blow teams out playing pretty in non-conference play and now they're showing they can blow teams out playing ugly in conference play.

If we play to our identity and guys keep playing to their strengths this team can do special things.
Yeah, it never bothered me if Pitt seemed to be unbeatable, because I knew they'd get bounced before we'd ever see them again after the BET, and that their tough play got us battle-tested.

Brief sidebar while I have your attention: it's not just that I've agreed with your points of view, but your post-PC sum-up as well as today's first game wrap-up post have been particularly strong, as well as several other fill-in posts on two very satisfying victories at the crucial point in the season. Sincere thanks.

Reaction Score
Three adjustments recently are paying big dividends.
1) Jackson operating more on the baseline where his man has to cover him and when his man goes to double Sanogo, its easier for Sanogo to hit him for a dunk.
2) Alleyne has really helped our offense. He penetrates as well as any other guard ( going left especially) and he seems to hit Clingan better than anyone too.
3) Calcaterra brings more offensively than Diarra.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom