Squid goes down!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
test.png

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He outcoaches other teams. He got robbed in the 2008 NC game against Kansas. His kids couldn't make FTs down the stretch. I think the biggest turnoff with Calipari is his underhanded dealings.

How about last year in the championship game? Down 4 with about 70 seconds left, one of his kids gives a foul about 10 seconds into the shot clock, resetting the clock and it didn't even put us at the line. Then he played the possession out without fouling. He later said he didn't foul because he knew we wouldn't miss from the line. Are you kidding me?

Reaction Score
You expect your kids to make some free throws as opposed to completely spitting the bit. Memphis was easily the better team that night. That was actually one of the worst losses I've seen in a big spot.

Hang this guy!

Outcoaches people? please ripper, lose this thought quick. He blows, if he can't win with this team he fn blows!

Oh yeah, he blows! hahahahaha

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not a great game coach. Those defensive switches really hurt them (First time Barkley ever made a comment that made sense?) That long airball 3 was a mistake Team did not keep their heads the last 4 minutes.

Reaction Score
Hang this guy!

Outcoaches people? please ripper, lose this thought quick. He blows, if he can't win with this team he fn blows!

Oh yeah, he blows! hahahahaha

This team was loaded but they were still predominantly freshmen.

Reaction Score

They aren't freshman - they have played 1,000 games already in their lives from prep, AAU and on. These kids are well past the "they're just freshman" BS. That's an excuse only!

Reaction Score

There's no rationalizing with some folks when it comes to UK and Cal.

I thought Cal got out coached tonight, but it happens. I actually thought that - gasp - Cal overachieved with that squad to take them to 38-0. It was an absurd collection of talent, but there was less separation between them and the field than most people thought.

Give Cal Duke's roster, and people would still kill him for under-performing.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The manner in which he accumulates talent aside (we can debate the dirty dealings at another time), when was the last time Calipari outcoached anyone?

That would require that he actually engage in the profession of coaching. The man couldn't outcoach a lawn chair.

He is what he is...a tremendously accomplished snake oil salesman.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Maybe next season Coach Cal can petition the NCAA for exhibition season status for his Kentucky team, so all his freshmen can get at least one year under their belts before they are expected to perform like veterans in the Final Four. They will have to agree to be voluntarily ineligible for the SEC postseason tournament, but they will be eligible to participate in the NIT, as long as they don't have to play Robert Morris again.

Reaction Score
Boo hoo freshmen my @ss, you wanna be called the best team or amongst the best of all time then when you fall short of a title you can't handle the criticism of coming up short you can't have it both ways.

I don't think Calipari was calling his team the best of all time. The media was. Secondly, I despise UK and Calipari and I was glad they lost. But I'm not surprised at all that they lost to an experienced team.

Reaction Score

I thought Cal got out coached tonight, but it happens. I actually thought that - gasp - Cal overachieved with that squad to take them to 38-0. It was an absurd collection of talent, but there was less separation between them and the field than most people thought.

Calipari is a very sketchy individual with no ethical compass, but this talk that he can't coach is ridiculous. Bill Self is someone who can't really coach. Calipari is probably going to the CBB hall of fame.

Reaction Score

But he's the one who is coaching at Kentucky, who has complete control over personnel decisions. The youth excuse wears thin when he's the one decides that his team is going to be young year after year.

Reaction Score
Maybe Calipari will now realize he has to recruit a point guard in order to win titles.

Reaction Score
But he's the one who is coaching at Kentucky, who has complete control over personnel decisions. The youth excuse wears thin when he's the one decides that his team is going to be young year after year.

Who is saying otherwise? I just don't agree with the premise that Cal is coaching this fool-proof champion and all these other coaches are winning with kids off the scrap heap. Just imagine the narrative if Cal was coaching the current Duke team: Cal is killing college basketball with all these one and dones, how much did he pay Okafor, Winslow is a thug, etc. etc. Pound for pound, I would argue that Duke is just as talented, yet K gets to use youth as an excuse and Cal doesn't.

He's been out-coached in some big spots over the years, there is no question about it. Happened again tonight. But four final fours in six years is hard to argue with.

Reaction Score
Who is saying otherwise? I just don't agree with the premise that Cal is coaching this fool-proof champion and all these other coaches are winning with kids off the scrap heap. Just imagine the narrative if Cal was coaching the current Duke team: Cal is killing college basketball with all these one and dones, how much did he pay Okafor, Winslow is a thug, etc. etc. Pound for pound, I would argue that Duke is just as talented, yet K gets to use youth as an excuse and Cal doesn't.

He's been out-coached in some big spots over the years, there is no question about it. Happened again tonight. But four final fours in six years is hard to argue with.

For one, I've never seen people give K a pass because of the youth of his team, but I'll take your word for it. I happen to think Calipari is a good coach, but ripper saying "but they're freshmen" doesn't really work because Cal is at Kentucky and can almost pick any recruit he wants. So I think people get tired of when he uses the players ages as an excuse in interviews after losses.

Reaction Score
For one, I've never seen people give K a pass because of the youth of his team, but I'll take your word for it. I happen to think Calipari is a good coach, but ripper saying "but they're freshmen" doesn't really work because Cal is at Kentucky and can almost pick any recruit he wants. So I think people get tired of when he uses the players ages as an excuse in interviews after losses.

Seems like we're on the same page, then. As for K, it isn't about people giving him a pass as much as it is people not maintaining the same standards for every coach. When K loses a big tournament game with a squad loaded with McDonald's all-Americans, people give him hell for it, but still consider him a great coach. When Cal loses it is because he's a choke artist, clown, cheater, etc. I can only imagine the hell he would have taken had he dropped games to fifteen and fourteen seeds in a span of three years.

And I know it's different because K has four titles and is arguably the GOAT. I just think Cal is held to an unreasonable standard.

Reaction Score
I hate Squid. My life is better when he fails. I feel better about myself when he fails. I literally hate him worse than anything else in sports. Possibly the world.

Reaction Score
When Cal loses it is because he's a choke artist, clown, cheater, etc. I can only imagine the hell he would have taken had he dropped games to fifteen and fourteen seeds in a span of three years.

The BIG difference is that Coach Cal has already been stripped of 2 Final Fours at different schools for cheating. He left the programs to deal with the messes he created. While I dislike Coach Kryz, he has never been penalized by the NCAA and has won consistently over time at a very respectable school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom