South Florida Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

South Florida Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I’m pretty confident our basketball would have suffered in the BE too with Ollie as our coach.
The Hurley hire has more to do with our basketball success than anything else.
When we went into AAC, UConn essentially went cheap on football. It’s same story all the time. They aren’t willing to hire the coaching staff. It’s showing.

Reaction Score
They aren't 1-6 because of a lack of money.
It feels like Mora expected to be able to come in and turn us into a playoff team and now that he realizes that will never happened he is throwing his hands up. Win against the teams that don't have huge bags and then start complaining.

It's like he's making excuses for problems that don't exist. Win against the poor G5s and you'll get a statue, dude. Don't b*** about not beating top 25 teams because of your roster when you piss away leads and fail your players.

Reaction Score
I love when people post to tell us they're done. I get the emotion of it but it always reads like a cry for help. It's gonna be okay. Diversify a bit. Losing sucks. Bad refs suck. Playcalling, Conference Realignment. Kids making mistakes. Today was everything rolled into one. We snatched defeat from the Jaws of Victory. But they had a little extra help out there during crunch time.
I’m being hyperbolic.

Reaction Score
That's an absurd reason not to call a blatant PI, the ball was catchable.
It was borderline. Should have been illegal contact at a minimum, though

Reaction Score
The school doesn't have the money and of course they're going to prioritize the basketball program.
I hear that. But I don’t agree.

You can’t treat the FB program like the red headed step child, expect that to be the vehicle to P4 promise land, then get upset when the program sucks.

Schools with less resources are having more success. That’s the tell something else is going on.

Reaction Score
I hear that. But I don’t agree.

You can’t treat the FB program like the red headed step child, expect that to be the vehicle to P4 promise land, then get upset when the program sucks.

Schools with less resources are having more success. That’s the tell something else is going on.
To be fair the schools with less resources doing better than us are typically in talent rich areas of the country. The schools in the north east that have less resources and do well get a stud coach who bounces or whose scheme gets found out after a couple years and then there's no more success.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It feels like Mora expected to be able to come in and turn us into a playoff team and now that he realizes that will never happened he is throwing his hands up. Win against the teams that don't have huge bags and then start complaining.

It's like he's making excuses for problems that don't exist. Win against the poor G5s and you'll get a statue, dude. Don't b*** about not beating top 25 teams because of your roster when you piss away leads and fail your players.

Great post. I sometimes wonder what the hell are people's expectations of the program. After every single week we have our own fans calling to end the program. I mean good lord, good, bad, or ugly, having a FBS program is great thing to have. People need to stop with all the melodrama about throwing in the towel.

Play each year and try to obtain bowl eligibility winning our FCS game, some G5 games, and maybe giving some P5 teams a run for their money. So, no, we likely aren't going to have a top 50 program consistently, but given our league situation what can you do?

Mora needs to stop making excuses. We're getting beat by the likes of Utah State, FIU, and now USF at home... It's not exactly Utah, Florida State and Florida.

Reaction Score
Great post. I sometimes wonder what the hell are people's expectations of the program. After every single week we have our own fans calling to end the program. I mean good lord, good, bad, or ugly, having a FBS program is great thing to have. People need to stop with all the melodrama about throwing in the towel.

Play each year and try to obtain bowl eligibility winning our FCS game, some G5 games, and maybe giving some P5 teams a run for their money. So, no, we likely aren't going to have a top 50 program consistently, but given our league situation what can you do?

Mora needs to stop making excuses. We're getting beat by the likes of Utah State, FIU, and now USF at home... It's not exactly Utah, Florida State and Florida.
This is a great post! I agree 100 percent!

Reaction Score

To rant off of this, any football coach at UConn complaining about NIL money has clearly gone off the deep end end and lost sight of the objective. Some of your best players the last few years have been Connecticut kids with basically no offers. Get more of those types kids instead of b****ing about losing more covered kids due to NIL. How much NIL $$$ do you think Cam Edwards had recruiting him to UConn? Kid was the offense tonight and is probably only here because of Marinellis comments.

What would Lutrus have cost? Or Easley? What about Travis Jones? All kids that literally wouldn't have cost a dime in today's "market"

The players are out there. Be realistic.

Reaction Score
Bad loss. Need to learn how to win.
It was, but I will say we had a tough injury again today. Rosa getting hurt in the 2nd or 3rd play of the game really hurt. If we had had both him and Ross in the backfield that might of made a difference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To rant off of this, any football coach at UConn complaining about NIL money has clearly gone off the deep end end and lost sight of the objective. Some of your best players the last few years have been Connecticut kids with basically no offers. Get more of those types kids instead of b****ing about losing more covered kids due to NIL. How much NIL $$$ do you think Cam Edwards had recruiting him to UConn? Kid was the offense tonight and is probably only here because of Marinellis comments.

What would Lutrus have cost? Or Easley? What about Travis Jones? All kids that literally wouldn't have cost a dime in today's "market"

The players are out there. Be realistic.

In spite of the larger institutional issue that we simply don't understand fbs football at UConn, we have at least halfway decent facilities, a national TV deal, and play a more interesting schedule than most of the g5. Mora complaining about NIL is such a cop out. Nobody is asking you to out recruit Pitt Rutgers or BC, but I simply can't accept that it's that or fcs/military offers.

Reaction Score
Mora needs to stop complaining and get to work. Last season got him some leeway but anything below 3 wins this season should put him in the hot seat.
He had every right to complain to the refs on that pass interference no call, it might of cost us the game.

Reaction Score
In spite of the larger institutional issue that we simply don't understand fbs football at UConn, we have at least halfway decent facilities, a national TV deal, and play a more interesting schedule than most of the g5. Mora complaining about NIL is such a cop out. Nobody is asking you to out recruit Pitt Rutgers or BC, but I simply can't accept that it's that or fcs/military offers.
I don't care what offers a kid has. The most important part of being a UConn football coach is talent evaluation. And that means not chasing stars but chasing potential. Mora seems like he wants to recruit stars instead of rough diamonds. This ain't cali, buddy.

Reaction Score
I'm speechless. I still feel Mora is better than that. I do not understand what the thinking was to put the brakes on the offense in 3rdQ.

Certainly a ton of drops between receivers and secondary, plus poor KO/punt receiving, but this game was winnable well into the 4th, but playmakers mostly didn't make plays. And coaches didn't coach.
He should’ve dumped Charlton weeks ago.

Reaction Score
I don't care what offers a kid has. The most important part of being a UConn football coach is talent evaluation. And that means not chasing stars but chasing potential. Mora seems like he wants to recruit stars instead of rough diamonds. This ain't cali, buddy.

What about the need to be generating enough of a NIL pot to be able to retain those “rough diamonds” when they start to glisten and other teams are looking for bargains.

Reaction Score
What about generating enough of a NIL pot to be able to retain those “rough diamonds” when they start to glisten?
Worry about that later. Get them to shine first.

If you have 22 kids ready to be poached by P5 teams then you have a damn good team

Reaction Score
Worry about that later. Get them to shine first.

If you have 22 kids ready to be poached by P5 teams then you have a damn good team

I think that part of the future concern he raised - you can’t build to 22 “poachable” kids if you are playing roster catch-up each year. We know that teams tried to entice Mitchell. Depth remains a major problem here.

Reaction Score
I think that part of the future concern he raised - you can’t build to 22 “poachable” kids if you are playing roster catch-up each year. We know that teams tried to entice Mitchell. Depth remains a major problem here.
And what would our record be this year without Mitchell?

We aren't talking about beating Michigan, here. The teams we should beat are facing these same issues

Reaction Score
And what would our record be this year without Mitchell?

We do know what our record is without Carter, Marion and Turner.;)

No argument that the timing of Mora’s comments can easily be described as being tone deaf @ this point if not considering future impact.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I wasn't able to watch the game today but I did check the score on my phone from time to time, and was pleased to see we were playing competitively, and that we were actually up 21-10 at one point. I was feeling quite confident, even when it became 21-17. Then there was the familiar pain of the ol' gut punch when I saw the final score.

I have read many of the comments in this thread and watched the highlights from the AAC's youtube channel, so I think I get the picture. Really, really disappointing loss. I feel like after beating Rice two weeks ago, this was a pivotal game in which we were poised to secure a victory in a very winnable contest and generate momentum to springbaord into the second half of the season. Quite frankly, I would categorize this as a game we needed to win. No ifs, ands, or buts. You're coming off your first win and you're playing at home against an opponent you match up well with. You simply have to get the W.

WIthout pointing fingers at anyone in particular, there is simply no reasonable excuse for not winning this game. I'm not pulling the plug on the rest of the season, but this one's a stinger, and a bad loss.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We do know what our record is without Carter, Marion and Turner.;)

No argument that the timing of Mora’s comments can easily be described as being tone deaf @ this point if not considering future impact.
Turner has 7 catches for 47 yards. Marion 7 for 112. Losing Carter hurt but a healthy Rosa isn't a huge drop off.

Kids today are more equipped than ever to make an impact early. Find the right guys

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom