South Florida Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

South Florida Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I slept on it and although I’m still upset, USF has the fastest offense in the country. I think USF is better than we thought. I mean they played Alabama hard and kept it closer than we ever could. USF’s offense is what we need here plain and simple. We can’t be a grind it out team anymore.
We only seem like a grind it out team because we only throw LOS passes, and run into stacked defenses twice before throwing the pass.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, yes. Going FBS was supposed to insure the viability of the BB programs. Instead football became a millstone; an albatross that almost killed out BB programs.
Football has the capacity to sink our athletic department at some point in the future, but that’s purely speculative. That would require another 5 years of losing in front of an empty Rent. Non-revenue programs will suffer. Basketball will be fine as long as March Madness exists. The general public’s investment in UConn bball is everything. The road forward in football outside of “win more” is in need of transparency and open debate if we keep losing and sucking up resources. And no, that is not a “drop football” suggestion, just a call for the laying out of viable options. I don’t see us paying players $35k/year as something viable for UConn football. The college sports world is moving fast, especially for public universities. We still don’t have substantive public comments from our AD or President on the B12 fiasco or our road forward in the pay-to-play world. Average P5 scholarship player making NIL $100k/yr and rising. 85 of them on a team.

Reaction Score
Football has the capacity to sink our athletic department at some point in the future, but that’s purely speculative. That would require another 5 years of losing in front of an empty Rent. Non-revenue programs will suffer. Basketball will be fine as long as March Madness exists. The general public’s investment in UConn bball is everything. The road forward in football outside of “win more” is in need of transparency and open debate if we keep losing and sucking up resources. And no, that is not a “drop football” suggestion, just a call for the laying out of viable options. I don’t see us paying players $35k/year as something viable for UConn football. The college sports world is moving fast, especially for public universities. We still don’t have substantive public comments from our AD or President on the B12 fiasco or our road forward in the pay-to-play world. Average P5 scholarship player making NIL $100k/yr and rising. 85 of them on a team.
We need a sugar daddy.

Reaction Score
Independent from the jump in football and stayed with the Catholic 7 in the Big East.
They wanted the exit fee money. Someone should have convinced them of your plan off the rip.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
They wanted the exit fee money. Someone should have convinced them of your plan off the rip.
They still could have gotten that from Cincy and USF.

Reaction Score
I watched the game yesterday with a friend who is a fellow UConn alum and a former high school OC for over 10 years. In fact, he's lectured around the Northeast about offensive concepts. He was predicting about 85% of the play calls as soon as UConn lined up at the line of scrimmage. He also commented many times about the lack of creativity. Granted, the players have to make the plays, and the WR drops killed us, but I think we can all agree that Charlton's play calls have been horrendous. I've seen enough to know that Charlton is not the answer. Like many others here, I strongly advocate for a a new OC, new ST coach, and bringing on a full-time DC for next year.

Reaction Score
I watched the game yesterday with a friend who is a fellow UConn alum and a former high school OC for over 10 years. In fact, he's lectured around the Northeast about offensive concepts. He was predicting about 85% of the play calls as soon as UConn lined up at the line of scrimmage. He also commented many times about the lack of creativity. Granted, the players have to make the plays, and the WR drops killed us, but I think we can all agree that Charlton's play calls have been horrendous. I've seen enough to know that Charlton is not the answer. Like many others here, I strongly advocate for a a new OC, new ST coach, and bringing on a full-time DC for next year.
I think that says something about Mora too though. I was fully on the Mora train after last year and I didn’t expect anything crazy this year but a regression of this size isn’t acceptable and the buck has to stop somewhere.

Reaction Score
We need a sugar daddy.
we need to get a grip writ large. Montreal Expos were grounded into the dust by MLB promising that "this year is the last year" for 5-6 years. Our own fans are doing that to UConn football and then wonder why nobody wants to invest.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
we need to get a grip writ large. Montreal Expos were grounded into the dust by MLB promising that "this year is the last year" for 5-6 years. Our own fans are doing that to UConn football and then wonder why nobody wants to invest.
That's not really a great comparison. It may well be that playing half our home games in Puerto Rico would be a benefit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes the play calling was maddening. How many 2 and 12's did we have? That's not why we lost. It took the entire team to let that slip away.

Reaction Score
They still could have gotten that from Cincy and USF.
Not following you here. I'm talking about the money that was from catholic schools leaving the Big East and then buying the name back + the tournament credit money. UConn stuck with the AAC to collect that money while hoping to get called up to a P5.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Not following you here. I'm talking about the money that was from catholic schools leaving the Big East and then buying the name back + the tournament credit money. UConn stuck with the AAC to collect that money while hoping to get called up to a P5.
I don’t think that 7 million per year would have been that big of a deal. I would have rather gone independent in 2013.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that 7 million per year would have been that big of a deal. I would have rather gone independent in 2013.
No doubt. P5 money had yet to explode like it has. But the school chose to chase that 7 mil rather than do you what you suggested. Hard to blame them. They were trying to make up the hole created by loss of BCS status I'm sure.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The defensive sets as in the 4th quarter are awful like that long run by Wright, down 4. 5 Dbs are playing back and back-pedaling at the snap. The MLB blitzes, gets picked by the HBack leaving an area the size of Rhode Island to be defended by an OLB(who gets blocked by an OL) This has happened quite abit this year. The D is being put in positions where they can't support one another or become unsure of their responsibilities.
On their long TD drive in the fourth quarter USF made a big play and got called for holding. Wiped out their big gain and put them in 2nd and 20 somewhere near their own 30. They got 17 back on the next play and picked up the first down the play after.

That was the moment the defense had to get off the field. USF gift wrapped us a stop and we just didn’t seize the chance we had.

Reaction Score
I didn’t say staying in the AAC was the answer. But this current situation sure as hell wasn’t. Again, I’m not the one being paid $500k a year or whatever AD Dave’s salary is to figure this out. Maybe we could have done a football only invite plus out of conference games in other sports with the MAC or C USA or something. Maybe not - I don’t know, it’s not my job. But independence for the ONE sport that the college landscape is built around was a horrific decision that gives the program no long term stability, is a terrible recruiting sell, and drains our meager resources. We are in the worst possible situation for long term athletic success and I don’t see how you don’t blame AD Dave and the entire administration for this.
It got us back in the Big East for all sports. Men’s basketball was a huge beneficiary. We actually won a national championship!! If we went to the Mac etc we would be dead

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
We still don’t have substantive public comments from our AD or President on the B12 fiasco or our road forward in the pay-to-play world.
And we likely won't. They chose to be discreet and professional, it backfired. They needed to be vocal and get the message out that an invite was in both parties' interests. Instead, silence, which can be interpreted as a sign of weakness.

But that's not all, there was also weakness to improve up the offense. Weakness in addressing the bad tackling. Weakness in blitzing the QB and stopping 20+ yard run plays. Weakness to drill into receivers and defensive backs to catch the damn ball. Weakness to tell special teams that starting deep in our end of the field almost every frigging possession hampers the ability to score (catch, run, and get some decent field position). Weakness to stop passing stupid slants for 2-3 yards when 9-15 yards are needed. Weakness to protect the ball at all times to limit fumbles. And importantly, weakness to fire the damn coaches that can't seem to understand the above weaknesses needed to be fixed last month!!!

The loss to USU was horrible but tolerable as the team battled. The last two losses to FIU and now USF have utterly pi$$ed me off. I'm no fair weather fan; as a son of the Nutmeg state, I loved UConn before I went there and moreso after I got my degree. What I'm hearing week in and week out makes me almost think that in some part, "they" (not sure who but someone in the administration) don't want football to succeed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Anyone have the full post-game Mora presser? All that's out there on YT is 1.5 minutes at the end where nothing of import was said.

Reaction Score
Other teams have run fast up tempo offenses that force the defense to play the same players without subs . We have looked disorganized trying to keep pace. Sometimes we are not in our stances on the line at the snap. That said, South Florida was not set at the snap multiple times yesterday and no call was made. Does anyone have any faith that Charlton could run this type of offense? It means your offense has to be well coached and know their assignments. The OC also has to call the plays quickly. Does Mora see this?

Reaction Score
I’m really tired of reading crap like this. Carter didn’t help us win any games last year before his injury. Marion didn’t help us win any games last year before his injury. And Aaron Turner did help us win some games last year, but Cam Ross plays his role in the lineup and is better. And we won 6 games anyway.

We are not 1-6 because we’ve had more than our share of injuries and defections. We’re 1-6 primarily because a defensive unit that was really good at home the second half of the year and returned 9 starters has taken huge steps backwards.
Blame the DC!!! Oh........

Reaction Score
You have to worry very deeply about the future. Getting hosed yet again in critical moments by an officiating crew, losing at home in front of 2500 people on homecoming. Very real path to 1-11 ahead. At some point enough may become enough. Sad sad day
Do you honestly think we are going to lose to Sacred Heart? If we play the way we did yesterday we beat them by 20.

I’m not happy with this season but 3-9 is probably the destiny

Reaction Score
It got us back in the Big East for all sports. Men’s basketball was a huge beneficiary. We actually won a national championship!! If we went to the Mac etc we would be dead
I don’t disagree. But we sacrificed our FB program in the process. I don’t know what the right answer was but this ain’t it.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
What was up with the hurry up no huddle USF offense. What advantage does that really give them?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom