Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
But then one remembers the fact that Holly is her coach.

Knoxville: where talent goes to languish.

and "just wait until next year" is the motto.

Reaction Score
A couple of years ago. Harris was the only freshman. It was Tennessee can't recruit. I would say its picked up the last two years.

Going back to the HS class of 2008 Tenn has recruited extremely well. It's what they do with those recruits that is the issue.

Russell is one of only six players Tennessee. To have 1,500 points and 1,000 rebounds.

And I'll wager that all of those players made it to at least one final four.

Several Tenn fans and you in particular are eternally looking ahead to better times. I admire your perseverance and your loyalty to your team but Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm is a children's story. In the real world one has to face facts and the facts are that no amount of talent has changed things in Knoxville. For going on 10 years the Vols have played erratic basketball, losing and struggling to countless mediocre to bad teams. They have fared better overall in the NCAA's, but only in a relative sense and that is little comfort to their season ticket holders who have to sit through listless performances that look like the team was put together an hour before the game. And many of those fans have stopped coming to games. The crowds of 14,000+ have become paid attendances of 8500 where 1500 of those are no-shows.

And since my memory is long I couldn't be happier.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
South Carolina 's back court will be more talented and potent next year. They bring back two McDonalds All Americans in Cooper and Cuevas who both can score of the bounce and also pick up Destiny Henderson who has the ability to score, make plays and provide a much more talented backup for Harris. Jackson has been very good most of the time this year, so they will most likely more resemble the tiffany Mitchell, Lakeisha Sutton years than the front court dominated years of recent pass. They will have enough talent with increased experience to continue to be one of the top 10 teams in the country. They will just be more balanced. Games like this occur because of the imbalance of the team's reliance on Aja in regular games. They will move forward.

They have to. They have no choice. I understand we are very young outside of Wilson and lost two senior guards in Cuevas and Spann but still what a frustrating season... I almost want it to just be over already but I’m also aware that it being over would be the last time we see Wilson in a Gamecock uniform. So I’m conflicted.

SC’s strength will be in the backcourt next season, by a vast margin.. The returners need to be in the gym shooting all summer. I’m probably going to lose it if I see Cliney miss one more wide open 3-pointer where the person guarding her is intentionally nowhere to be found.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Going back to the HS class of 2008 Tenn has recruited extremely well. It's what they do with those recruits that is the issue.

And I'll wager that all of those players made it to at least one final four.

Several Tenn fans and you in particular are eternally looking ahead to better times. I admire your perseverance and your loyalty to your team but Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm is a children's story. In the real world one has to face facts and the facts are that no amount of talent has changed things in Knoxville. For going on 10 years the Vols have played erratic basketball, losing and struggling to countless mediocre to bad teams. They have fared better overall in the NCAA's, but only in a relative sense and that is little comfort to their season ticket holders who have to sit through listless performances that look like the team was put together an hour before the game. And many of those fans have stopped coming to games. The crowds of 14,000+ have become paid attendances of 8500 where 1500 of those are no-shows.

And since my memory is long I couldn't be happier.
This year isn't over yet. The regular season is over. Now it tournament time both SEC and NCAA. My thoughts about the regular season. I think it's pretty close to what I expected in record 23-6. We knew about Russell and Nared coming into the season. We didn't know how the freshman would do. I think the three that have played a lot of minutes Davis, Westbrook, and Hayes. Have all for the most part had a good freshman year. This team has relied on them. Especially a freshman running the point guard. I think for the SECT and NCAAT. This team can do good in both.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well Tennessee is officially the #7 seed with an 11-5 record. While #7 in the SEC sounds awful, it’s not as bad when you see they were one win away from being the #2 overall seed entering the tournament. They’ll need to beat SC a 3rd time to just make the SEC semifinals. Entering this year I don’t think anyone would have predicted that as a potential matchup in the quarterfinals. Goes to show how each conference game truly does count.

If SC and Missouri take care of business they’ll meet again in the semis in what’s sure to be a game to watch.

Reaction Score
Tenn's problem is 4 games in 4 days. They are a team with overworked freshmen that relies on defensive pressure. The best thing for them as far as the NCAA's would be to lose to S Carolina.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Tennessee has to get by Auburn first before a 3rd matchup with South Carolina. I’m skeptical of whether that will happen. A late rally in their only meeting this season isn’t forgotten.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I agree Plebe. With her pedigree and size, MR should have scored 2500 by now.

Russell should have been an all american by now, but hasn't been developed properly. She has the raw talent and skill set to do good things in the wnba, but will need a coach who can motivate her and correct glaring issues in her game that the tennessee coaches never could..her helpside defense is almost non existent and always has been..

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Tennessee has to get by Auburn first before a 3rd matchup with South Carolina. I’m skeptical of whether that will happen. A late rally in their only meeting this season isn’t forgotten.

Auburn likes to trap for 40 mins. It gave tennessee fits in their last game and the way they keep turning the ball over, i expect another 20 + turnover game. Tennessee needs to shoot the ball well to get this win

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well now that Tennessee is ahead, I guess it's time to switch to making fun of South Carolina.

This game really gives you an appreciation for how good Wilson is.

South Carolina perhaps in trouble next year?

I don't really think so. Remember, we're not just missing Wilson, we're missing Cuevas-Moore and Spann, too. There are no seniors playing today and 1 of the 2 juniors is in her first year with the program. If Cuevas-Moore plays next year, along with the returnees and Destanni Henderson, the backcourt will be much improved.

Reaction Score
The days before Aja we won an SEC regular season title and garnered a #1 seed so I'll be very happy with that after she leaves :D
All them years to win one,lol!

Reaction Score
Nared is a senior, Young is a sophomore. I don't agree with that but it is a huge factor.

Agree. I remember back several years in Coates' freshman year I believe. S Carolina had graduated several starters and was thought to be in rebuilding mode but ended up at or near the top of the SEC with a team that relied on defense. Kind of like how every year Oregon St is dismissed preseason because of who they lost to graduation.
They had Tiffany Mitchell back then.

Reaction Score
South Carolina 's back court will be more talented and potent next year. They bring back two McDonalds All Americans in Cooper and Cuevas who both can score of the bounce and also pick up Destiny Henderson who has the ability to score, make plays and provide a much more talented backup for Harris. Jackson has been very good most of the time this year, so they will most likely more resemble the tiffany Mitchell, Lakeisha Sutton years than the front court dominated years of recent pass. They will have enough talent with increased experience to continue to be one of the top 10 teams in the country. They will just be more balanced. Games like this occur because of the imbalance of the team's reliance on Aja in regular games. They will move forward.
Mcd. AAs in high school. that will be 3 &5 yrs ago. What have they done in college except being role players? SC Top 10 next year. Keep drinking the kool-aid!

Reaction Score
Seeing right now I don't see Baylor, ND, Louisville, or Oregon being the 2 seed in Albany, I've narrowed my eye down to 2 familiar opponents being our 2 seed, South Carolina or Texas. I was thinking I'd prefer Texas even though they'd played us closer just to avoid Wilson. But they really don't look too good this year outside of her. I wonder if UCLA jumps both if they win the Pac 12 tourney.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Would just like to give a shoutout to the Lady Vols fans on this board. Your fanbase gets ripped on a lot but I’m hearing nothing but positive reports from Gamecock fans. We took two buses of fans to the game and those fans can’t say enough about the hospitality they received from lady Vols fans before, during and after the game.

I’m not sure what made it so great but a few fans are calling it the best road trip experience yet. Kudos and good luck going forward, Lady Vols!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I still have not seen any explanation why Aja did not play and what is her projected status in the SEC Tournament?

Reaction Score
They have to. They have no choice. I understand we are very young outside of Wilson and lost two senior guards in Cuevas and Spann but still what a frustrating season... I almost want it to just be over already but I’m also aware that it being over would be the last time we see Wilson in a Gamecock uniform. So I’m conflicted.

SC’s strength will be in the backcourt next season, by a vast margin.. The returners need to be in the gym shooting all summer. I’m probably going to lose it if I see Cliney miss one more wide open 3-pointer where the person guarding her is intentionally nowhere to be found.

Cliney is frustrating to watch. She plays hard, but she's just not good enough to be out there for an elite team.

I'm still looking forward to the tournaments, assuming Wilson is healthy, to see if USC can make a run in each. I still have a half cracked notion that they can get it together and get to the Final Four if they get a favorable draw and can play well.

But this team has lacked toughness and focus all year and the injuries just have not let them put a lineup out there.

Reaction Score
I still have not seen any explanation why Aja did not play and what is her projected status in the SEC Tournament?

Vertigo. She has had trouble with it in the past, the newspaper reports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't really think so. Remember, we're not just missing Wilson, we're missing Cuevas-Moore and Spann, too. There are no seniors playing today and 1 of the 2 juniors is in her first year with the program. If Cuevas-Moore plays next year, along with the returnees and Destanni Henderson, the backcourt will be much improved.

I would like to think that next season's team will have a little bit more urgency to them.

But yes, if the team adds Cuevas-Moore back into the mix, along with Te'a Cooper and Destinee Henderson and the anticipated improvements of Harris and Bianca Jackson the backcourt should be marketably improved. How to divide playing time will be interesting. It's not necessarily going to be a great shooting team even for all the guards.

Grissett's development is critical I think. To some degree, perhaps L. Williams as well. Team certainly needs her body for more minutes if nothing else. The margin of error for USC is smaller this year, but I still think those two both needed more minutes when they could be found.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I would like to think that next season's team will have a little bit more urgency to them.

But yes, if the team adds Cuevas-Moore back into the mix, along with Te'a Cooper and Destinee Henderson and the anticipated improvements of Harris and Bianca Jackson the backcourt should be marketably improved. How to divide playing time will be interesting. It's not necessarily going to be a great shooting team even for all the guards.

Grissett's development is critical I think. To some degree, perhaps L. Williams as well. Team certainly needs her body for more minutes if nothing else. The margin of error for USC is smaller this year, but I still think those two both needed more minutes when they could be found.

I agree with just about everything you said here. Although I do think this could be a good shooting team next season.. next year’s team could have 3 McDonald’s AA in the backcourt, Cooper/Cuevas/Henderson.. 4 if you wanna include Harris, who should’ve been a AA (one of the biggest snubs since Thomas in my opinion).

I think this could be a much better shooting team. If not, They’ll definitely be able to get to the rim at least. All four of those guards are great at getting to the rim/attacking. You’d still have Jackson waiting on the wings for the kickout.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Vertigo. She has had trouble with it in the past the newspaper reports.

Oh wow. Never heard that before. Hope she can go for the SEC tournament. They really need her.

Reaction Score
I agree with just about everything you said here. Although I do think this could be a good shooting team next season.. next year’s team could have 3 McDonald’s AA in the backcourt, Cooper/Cuevas/Henderson.. 4 if you wanna include Harris, who should’ve been a AA (one of the biggest snubs since Thomas in my opinion).

I think this could be a much better shooting team. If not, They’ll definitely be able to get to the rim at least. All four of those guards are great at getting to the rim/attacking. You’d still have Jackson waiting on the wings for the kickout.

Harris has actually shot it pretty well in Conference play so that's positive. And Cuevas shot it well as a junior after being pretty horrendous her first two seasons.

I don't think Cooper shot it that well at UT. And Henderson was something like 3/19 from three at the U-17s (I think her stroke looks ok though).

They should definitely be able to get to the rim.

Reaction Score
Mcd. AAs in high school. that will be 3 &5 yrs ago. What have they done in college except being role players? SC Top 10 next year. Keep drinking the kool-aid!
Man you seem to be real hater of South Carolina, but T'y Harris was selected to the all tourney team with USA U19s team this past summer, not anyone else. Also Cuevas had the best shooting percentage from 3 last year on our team to include Gray and Davis. She also shut down the guard three times that slayed UConn in the semis.

Henderson has also played well and started on the USA U-17s with some of Uconn's incoming players. With Harris, Cuevas, Cooper, and Henderson (All Sec Freshman, and McDD all americans) to go with Jackson who has proven to be more than capable as a shooter and defender as a freshman South Carolina will continue to be a top 10 program at least.

The development of Grissett, and Williams will be key to go along with Harrigan, who played in the National title game and in the absence of Wilson and Coates has show she can put up 15-17 a night given the touches. Jennings is also back.

Incoming Saxton is an aggressive top 25 frontcourt post, and we will probably add a player or two in the spring. Dawn allows and gets her post to play like post so we will continue to get good contribution there, though there will not be another Aja', the freshman's elevated playing time this year will pay dividends in the future.

Depth has killed us this year, and other than Tenn we have beaten all of these other teams who are outside to present top 10 with and without Aja. These are players who have already played enough to show effectiveness on the college level with the exception of Henderson and Saxton. So you keep drinking the cool-aid buddy that South Carolina is going away. I don't think so. Their ultimate despise has been way over blown. Question is what will Tenn look like without Russell and Nard. I do like the Davis girl. Remember that was a team of all freshman and sophomore with only 7 available players that led Tenn at the half. They will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom