Someone ‘splain the NBA to me | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Someone ‘splain the NBA to me

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
More shooting is good but I want to tilt the game a tad so that it makes more sense for an elite post player to stay home, rather than chill on the perimeter on pick and pops because they are 34% shooter from range. I used to love watching Al Jefferson play. Is prime Big Al leading a second unit in this era?
No, but even 15 years ago Big Al was not a winning player b/c he just did not defend at all -- and especially not in space. Big guys need to be able to move their damn feet, which is a ton better than the awful basketball we saw in the second half of the '90s and most of the '00s.

BTW, two of the three best players in the league this year were dominant post-scoring big men. Just b/c they can also shoot does not mean they're not capable of the type of smashing on the block that everybody apparently loved 30 years ago.

Reaction Score
No, but even 15 years ago Big Al was not a winning player b/c he just did not defend at all -- and especially not in space. Big guys need to be able to move their damn feet, which is a ton better than the awful basketball we saw in the second half of the '90s and most of the '00s.

BTW, two of the three best players in the league this year were dominant post-scoring big men. Just b/c they can also shoot does not mean they're not capable of the type of smashing on the block that everybody apparently loved 30 years ago.

Ya that is a good counter. For whatever reason, when I lament the new way bigs ate featured, I think of prime Love. But this year has been a nice big renaissance with the aforementioned guys and Towns at last seeming to fulfill his potential.

Reaction Score
I have a genuine question. I don’t watch much NBA and don’t fully understand all of the analytics. But from the few games I watched it seems like teams don’t even try for offensive rebounds. Someone will put up a 3 and then the entire team immediately begins jogging to the other end before it hits the rim. Is it just not worth their while? The 3 pt % is too high to bother? Or the whole team is on the perimeter so it’s not worth it? It just gives the game more of an arcade feel to me.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I have a genuine question. I don’t watch much NBA and don’t fully understand all of the analytics. But from the few games I watched it seems like teams don’t even try for offensive rebounds. Someone will put up a 3 and then the entire team immediately begins jogging to the other end before it hits the rim. Is it just not worth their while? The 3 pt % is too high to bother? Or the whole team is on the perimeter so it’s not worth it? It just gives the game more of an arcade feel to me.

Watching the regular season nba isn't exactly how the game is played when there is something to play for. But it's more of the former in that getting an offensive rebound in the NBA isn't really worth it expect for a handful of players who make an identity doing so.

Reaction Score
The 3 point shot has ruined the game. When was the last time you saw a set play for a big guy to post up. I go to high school games and even at that level it turns into a 3 point shooting contest. I coached high school until 2012 and it is such a different game now.

Reaction Score
I just can't anymore. I remember watching Shaq dunk and pulling on the rim, celebrating like he just performed some brilliant feat. Just awful stuff. 7-footers getting excited about jamming a ball through a 10 foot rim. That is about as unexciting as it gets for me. Ooooh, great job. You just jumped 1 foot off the ground and grabbed the rim to boot. Give the man a metal. Home runs are exciting. Touchdown runs, touchdown passes, Scoring from 1st. I really don't get the lure of the NBA at all.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When all five guys are on the perimeter, there isn’t anybody to rebound. Not every team does that, but when they do, having a guy make a low percentage try for a rebound isn’t worth it compared to getting back on D.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Out of curiosity I went and looked to see what the numbers looked like.

Memphis led the NBA this year with 14.1 ORPG. 17 teams were in double digits and 28 were over 9. Philly was last at 8.5

A decade ago, Chicago led the league with 13.7, but 27 teams were in double digits and one more was at 9.9. Boston was last at 7.8.

Without doing the math, it looks like there's a slight decrease.

Going back to 2003-04, the first year for which the stats are available on the website I found, you can see there was a greater emphasis on offensive rebounding. Dallas was first at 14.7, but 23 teams were over 11 and all were over 10.

Not trying to prove any points here, I was genuinely curious.

Given the huge increase in 3-point shooting, I guess this shouldn't be surprising. (Every team made between 10.5 and 14.8 3s per game this season; in 2003-04, the numbers ranged from 3.0 to 8.8.; and in 2011-12, the numbers ranged from 3.9 to 10.0.) But I think it's fair to say offensive rebounding is still an important part of basketball; it's not like the numbers went from 12 per team to, say, 6.

Reaction Score

Transition defense is viewed as more valuable than offensive rebounding.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity I went and looked to see what the numbers looked like.

Memphis led the NBA this year with 14.1 ORPG. 17 teams were in double digits and 28 were over 9. Philly was last at 8.5

A decade ago, Chicago led the league with 13.7, but 27 teams were in double digits and one more was at 9.9. Boston was last at 7.8.

Without doing the math, it looks like there's a slight decrease.

Going back to 2003-04, the first year for which the stats are available on the website I found, you can see there was a greater emphasis on offensive rebounding. Dallas was first at 14.7, but 23 teams were over 11 and all were over 10.

Not trying to prove any points here, I was genuinely curious.

Given the huge increase in 3-point shooting, I guess this shouldn't be surprising. (Every team made between 10.5 and 14.8 3s per game this season; in 2003-04, the numbers ranged from 3.0 to 8.8.; and in 2011-12, the numbers ranged from 3.9 to 10.0.) But I think it's fair to say offensive rebounding is still an important part of basketball; it's not like the numbers went from 12 per team to, say, 6.
Right I was thinking more compared to college basketball rather than if the NBA has shifted in process over the years.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Right I was thinking more compared to college basketball rather than if the NBA has shifted in process over the years.

I'd imagine there's been a similar trend in MCBB.

As the FG%s are higher in the NBA than in MCBB, I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly higher median ORPG rate in MCBB. But it's not such a wide gap that it suggests two wildly different philosophies.

Reaction Score
1) I agree the 3 has had a large hand in ruining the game.
2) Players are just too good for the court now. These guys are outrageous athletes. The player now is not
the proto-type Naismith envisioned. They need to make changes the court length & width and basket height.
They needs to make it more challenging to score. Like baseball. Did anyone in the 30's throw at 97mph. It is very common
now. They need to move the mound back. I loved the Red Holtzman Knicks, can't watch it now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1) I agree the 3 has had a large hand in ruining the game.
2) Players are just too good for the court now. These guys are outrageous athletes. The player now is not
the proto-type Naismith envisioned. They need to make changes the court length & width and basket height.
They needs to make it more challenging to score. Like baseball. Did anyone in the 30's throw at 97mph. It is very common
now. They need to move the mound back. I loved the Red Holtzman Knicks, can't watch it now.

Pitchers most definitely could throw mid to high 90's in the 30's. It just wasn't every single pitch by a majority of the pitchers. Used to have 4 man rotation where many threw 250-300 IP a season.

Reaction Score
I'm stuck on one team getting 58 pts on 3s and the other getting 50 pts on 3s.

If you have to ask why, I'm gonna demand to see your math transcripts.
those were the attempts, not points off of

as others noted, it's your reading skills that are the issue, i'm sure your math is fine

Reaction Score
1649705764254.png

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69