Someone ‘splain the NBA to me | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Someone ‘splain the NBA to me

Reaction Score
No, but even 15 years ago Big Al was not a winning player b/c he just did not defend at all -- and especially not in space. Big guys need to be able to move their damn feet, which is a ton better than the awful basketball we saw in the second half of the '90s and most of the '00s.

BTW, two of the three best players in the league this year were dominant post-scoring big men. Just b/c they can also shoot does not mean they're not capable of the type of smashing on the block that everybody apparently loved 30 years ago.

Thanks for this!

Can we please incorporate some of these sets?

Our offense was way too structured and predictable.

There was another vid posted a month plus ago about Gonzaga and Arizona running a modern motion spread offense.

It is beautiful to watch.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The game has changed in MANY ways: more dunking, more obtuse hair styles, more tattoos, and more 3 pointers!

Reaction Score
Our offense was way too structured and predictable.
We should, but the simplicity is across the board in college basketball. KD and JJ Redick were talking/laughing about it on a recent podcast episode. NBA offenses and defenses are so incredibly sophisticated, and most of the college stuff is pretty simple, though they noted that the incredibly intricate "pet" plays are more recent and this transformation is something Durant noticed in his time in the league.

Now, clearly college sets are still above a bunch of our fans' heads since most of our fans think we just roll the ball out there and hope for the best, but they're still pretty simple as opposed to what the NBA runs now.

Reaction Score
Considering Olajuwon is 59 years old, yes, I would expect him to be cherry picking his court running quite a bit nowadays. Back in his early years and prime, he was one of the best two way players.
Now, if you want to walk it back even further (You've already walked back your "I never saw these guys never get back to play D" and turned it in to "cherry picking a good part") and just say no player runs the court every play in any game, that would make sense. Every fan knows players will take off some plays during a game.
You write funny stuff. Funny ridiculous not funny humorous.

As I wrote, the 1980s!!!

And cherry picking = not getting back on D. It's the same thing.

I know all about Olajuwon. I watched him not go back on D practically an entire game. Robert Parish stuffed it down again and again and again. All I remember that night was Parish playing against a ghost while Olajuwon watched from the other end. I don't know how many Parish had that night, but if you told me he had 20 baskets, I wouldn't be surprised. He had absolutely no one on him, and it was all tomahawks and fast breaks.

Reaction Score
Yes /thread over
Essentially Yes. The league is driven by efficiency and points per possession.

Post up plays, like What Adama Sanogo does, is inefficient offense unless you are fantastic at it. The best offenses have a 5-man who can either shoot in the perimeter or off, the PnR, dice to the rim.

It’s hard for people who grew up in the era
Of Kareem and Mchale to learn that that is bad basketball.

By having. Your 5-man not posting up, it also clears out the lane. You can’t have a defender just sit in the middle of the paint and guard the Rim.

Reaction Score
Who said nba is awful product? It is terrific if you don’t watch the lakers. Lol.

The big difference for big men these days is they have to run the floor.

They are asked to do so much defensively and run every play. The lumbering center can’t play in the league anymore .

Think if nba guy like Robert Williams…that is a tangy, 6-9 center who covers a lot of ground. He essentially plays 100% for 25+ minutes a night. You can’t play 40 at the pace he does.

Andre Drummond is one of the great rebounders of this generation, but he sucks at defense and doesn’t have enough perimeter skills.

He is basically a MLE type player.

Reaction Score
No, but even 15 years ago Big Al was not a winning player b/c he just did not defend at all -- and especially not in space. Big guys need to be able to move their damn feet, which is a ton better than the awful basketball we saw in the second half of the '90s and most of the '00s.

BTW, two of the three best players in the league this year were dominant post-scoring big men. Just b/c they can also shoot does not mean they're not capable of the type of smashing on the block that everybody apparently loved 30 years ago.

Big Al was the prototypical case of Kirk Goldsberry’s book sprawl ball. He took, essentially, the least efficient shots in the nba.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Transition defense is viewed as more valuable than offensive rebounding.
This is 100% the correct answer (and also why Andre was born 20 years too late), though as someone else pointed out in the thread offensive rebounding has bounced back again after cratering in the mid-2010s.

Also, the level of sophistication in the base defensive sets for these teams is just freaking mind-blowing. Look at this from the Celtics (who are admittedly breaking the curve with their defense since January):

The hoops IQ of these guys is unreal, and the gap between college and the NBA has never been wider. It's insane how good the league is now.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is 100% the correct answer (and also why Andre was born 20 years too late).

Also, the level of sophistication in the base defensive sets for these teams is just freaking mind-blowing. Look at this from the Celtics (who are admittedly breaking the curve with their defense since January):

The hoops IQ of these guys is unreal, and the gap between college and the NBA has never been wider. It's insane how good the league is now.

But they don't play defense in the NBA...what do you mean? Have you not watched elite WBB that is high level basketball ball. /s

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
those were the attempts, not points off of

as others noted, it's your reading skills that are the issue, i'm sure your math is fine
And I'm sure you missing my reply acknowledging that error which was 50 posts before yours was just a computer lag issue :D

Reaction Score
I had the same thought.

For the longest time, I couldn't find anyone I really liked on the podcast scene, other than Lowe's corny self. Thinking Basketball and The Dunker Spot with Nekias Duncan & Steve Jones Jr are both great. What I really like about Nekias is that he is an analytics guy to some extent but actually watches tons of tape. I feel like that is a lot less common than it should be. Chris Herring is great on the SI pod but is not on every episode.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Thanks Matrim. Think I just found a new podcast!
His podcast is great but his YouTube videos are even better. I will be devastated when some team hires him and that channel goes dark.

Reaction Score
Transition defense is viewed as more valuable than offensive rebounding.
Offensive rebounding has bounced back a little as teams are taking advantage of less height out there, but at end of day crashing the glass compromises your defense. You end up in cross matches and that leads to someone attacking the rim and leading to an open 3.

If you are an efficient offense and shooting team, you would much rather get back on defense and setup.

Also, it seems no one on this thread who is complaining about nba has watched the league since at least 2007.

Best athletes in the world, and the shot making is insane. Embiid is as good in low post as olajuwan and mchale and can shoot the 3.

And, Jokic is slow and fat and one of the most brilliant and smart players we have ever seen. Add in Doncic, Tatum and Ja Morant and the league is insane with talent right now.

Btw, if we want to stop 3 -point attempts gotta allow handchecking. Also, I would be in favor eliminating below the break corner 3s. Just stop the 3-point line at the break. Under the break is a. 2-pointer.

Reaction Score
Lebron averaged 30 ppg on an 11 seed. The nba is in a really good, competitive spot right now. There are going to be some very intense playoff series. This is a great opportunity to get reacclimated to the nba if you've drifted off (maybe skip the play in games lol). Especially for anyone who has been on this board all season whining about uconn's lack of adjustments. These nba teams throw something new out there every single game (the good ones, anyways).

Reaction Score
I'm stuck on one team getting 58 pts on 3s and the other getting 50 pts on 3s.

If you have to ask why, I'm gonna demand to see your math transcripts.
We will need to see your English transcripts

Reaction Score
His podcast is great but his YouTube videos are even better. I will be devastated when some team hires him and that channel goes dark.
Just listened to his playoff preview. 2 UConn references in it.

Talking about Dallas: said Luka is the star and is that good like Kemba was on the 2011 team. But still lots of lesser known quality players. If Luka is healthy they could win it all.

When discussing the Nets they gave a shoutout to Andre Drummond as having some of the best hands in the league. Will be honest and say this one surprised me. Its too bad the Nets and Celtics play each other first round, would have liked to see more of each team. The playoffs will be great regardless.

Reaction Score
What the NCAA is becoming, stacking teams for a chance at a final 4

Reaction Score
NBA is unwatchable. I hadn’t watched in three years so I turned on a playoff game for five minutes a couple of days ago. The ball handlers were carrying or palming the ball on every dribble. There’s no defense at all, anymore. The players just chuck the ball at the rim and hope it goes in. Unwatchable.

Reaction Score
NBA is unwatchable. I hadn’t watched in three years so I turned on a playoff game for five minutes a couple of days ago. The ball handlers were carrying or palming the ball on every dribble. There’s no defense at all, anymore. The players just chuck the ball at the rim and hope it goes in. Unwatchable.
Curious what you turned on because it definitely wasn't an NBA game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom