Someone ‘splain the NBA to me | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Someone ‘splain the NBA to me

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The three is too much a part of the game, just like the pass is too much a part of the game in the NFL, and the homer is too much a part of the game in MLB. The best players in the NBA right now are big men though. They can step out and hit the three but they crush teams down low.

You were also watching the worst team in the NBA play a meaningless end of the season game against the Heat who didn't play any of their starters. You picked the worst possible NBA game you could ever go to.
Free tickets for a suite, free food, free booze, all the desserts we could eat. I have no complaints.

Have to say, though, that my husband and I went to a Tampa Bay Lightning game and the fan experience was a thousand times better. It’s hard for fans to stay engaged at the Magic game when the most fun of the night was watching the Usher Dance Cam.

Reaction Score
I live in Orlando and, yes, I know the Magic are awful but I went to a game anyway. The company I work for banks with PNC and our account manager invited me to watch the game in their suite at the Amway Center. So, I went.

I haven’t been to an NBA game since I saw the Celtics play at the Civic Center and the game has changed. The Magic have a 7-0 guy, Mo Bamba, but I didn’t see him go into the paint on offense once. He chucked up a bunch of threes but so did everyone else. Of the Magic’s 91 shots, 58 were threes and of Miami’s 94 shots, 50 were threes. A guy in the suite told me that the game has been evolving and this is how they play now.

Honestly, I didn’t see a lot of basketball being played although I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw a pick and roll but the game was more like a three point shooting contest. Is this really how the pro game has evolved?

View attachment 75479

After March Madness basketball is basically over!

Reaction Score
Someone 'splain to me how that LA Lakers coach, even with all the injuries, etc failed to get that team even into the play-in games. 11th places? Yikes.

Reaction Score
Someone 'splain to me how that LA Lakers coach, even with all the injuries, etc failed to get that team even into the play-in games. 11th places? Yikes.
Because it's 2022 and not 2014. Have you ever seen them play defense? Half the time Lebron doesn't even run down the court lmao. They literally play every game with globetrotter level effort

Reaction Score

I place much blame with their GM, LeBron. They lost most of their effective perimeter defenders and replaced with aging friends of his. And Russ. If you recall, the buzz had them acquiring Hield without sacrificing their depth.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I lived in Boston during the 1980s and had free access to a suite, so I took in a lot of regular season Celtics games. I can remember it like yesterday because so many many many times, a lot of players wouldnt even bother running down the floor on defense. It was fast break all the time because people just didn't bother getting back. Seriously, even the stars like Bernard King, Moses Malone, Dawkins, Akeem, I saw these guys never get back to play D

What's changed now is that many of the bigger guys are better shooters, and they're bigger so you don't even bother getting closer to the basket because you'll get stuffed. The dimensions of the court are out of whack with the bodies.

You never saw Olajuwon get back on D.

Great take.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The NBA is when you have the best players in the world combined with he best math people in the world do whatever it takes to win. Also going to a magic game isn’t a reflection of the entire nba.

The magic suck so they play like chickens with their heads cut off but if you go to an nba finals or conference finals game the game is completely different

Reaction Score
I live in Orlando and, yes, I know the Magic are awful but I went to a game anyway. The company I work for banks with PNC and our account manager invited me to watch the game in their suite at the Amway Center. So, I went.

I haven’t been to an NBA game since I saw the Celtics play at the Civic Center and the game has changed. The Magic have a 7-0 guy, Mo Bamba, but I didn’t see him go into the paint on offense once. He chucked up a bunch of threes but so did everyone else. Of the Magic’s 91 shots, 58 were threes and of Miami’s 94 shots, 50 were threes. A guy in the suite told me that the game has been evolving and this is how they play now.

Honestly, I didn’t see a lot of basketball being played although I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw a pick and roll but the game was more like a three point shooting contest. Is this really how the pro game has evolved?

View attachment 75479
(Not to mention the annoying drone of the pump up efx on every possession.)

Due to the higher reward of the 3 and success quotient of the dunk the NBA set offense is conditional and Boolean:
Given: spread the floor.
IF 3 is there take it
ELSE if dunk is there take it
ELSE chuck up at end of clock preferably from 3.
Special dispensation for 2 drillers like KD or Booker.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’d personally rather watch big dudes slam into each other for 2:30 hours and each team score 70-80 points. That’s real basketball. Maybe throw in some turn around contested mid range shots, cause those shots go in very frequently. The people who say they can’t watch the nba cause 18 footers turned into 23 footers are the worst. And yes taking your 7 footer out of the lane on offense is smart because it takes the other teams best rim protector away from the thing he’s trying to protect.
There are websites for that. But make sure to go incognito mode before you search for it,

Reaction Score
Surprised the stadium was that full for a meaningless game involving one of the 3 worst teams. Can’t wait for the playoffs

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Free tickets for a suite, free food, free booze, all the desserts we could eat. I have no complaints.

Have to say, though, that my husband and I went to a Tampa Bay Lightning game and the fan experience was a thousand times better. It’s hard for fans to stay engaged at the Magic game when the most fun of the night was watching the Usher Dance Cam.

The Lightning are 24 games over .500 and the Magic are 38 games under. I'd imagine the vibes were a bit different, for good reason. You were literally watching 48 minutes of garbage time. The only reason to go would be to enjoy the suite.

Reaction Score
Mediocre regular season effort, especially on defense, is nothing new to the NBA. Players can't play balls-to-the-wall/playoff-level defense for 82 games. It's impossible.

Reaction Score
Can’t wait for the playoffs
Honestly, I think the Playoffs are going to be awesome. The West has a lot of injuries, so the Suns may rampage through it, but the East is going to be a war. Boston-Brooklyn could be a ECF matchup in a normal year, and Milwaukee vs the winner may go 7 games.

Thank God Tatum is still only 17, otherwise I'd be worried the C's may run out of steam.

Reaction Score
I am very excited for this year's playoffs, starting from the play-in games.

I can't wait for this PHI/TOR series. All the hype after the Harden trade and Philly may not make it out of the first round.

Reaction Score
I am very excited for this year's playoffs, starting from the play-in games.

I can't wait for this PHI/TOR series. All the hype after the Harden trade and Philly may not make it out of the first round.
That's a penned in great first round series along with GS-Denver. Brooklyn vs. Boston or Miami (imagine if Milwaukee ducked Brooklyn but the C's end up with Cleveland?) would be great, as would Minnesota-Memphis.

Round 2 will have a variety of stories regardless. Playoffs are going to be a blast. The Suns are the obvious favorites, but given injury histories, there are probably 5-6 teams that can actually win this year. It's amazing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think the Playoffs are going to be awesome. The West has a lot of injuries, so the Suns may rampage through it, but the East is going to be a war. Boston-Brooklyn could be a ECF matchup in a normal year, and Milwaukee vs the winner may go 7 games.

Thank God Tatum is still only 17, otherwise I'd be worried the C's may run out of steam.

What's the Husky analogue: Hilton Units, scrappy play, or 20 minutes?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I agree there are way too many 3's in the NBA but there is not much prettier than Jason Tatum's stroke from the outside. The Celtics have Tatum and Brown who can breakdown a D on their driving to the hoop and Brown has an absolute killer midrange game. I enjoy their game and the Phoenix game as well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I struggle with the NBA at times. The ridiculous continuation rule calls, the blatant traveling, if they just enforced the rules it would be better. But it seems nobody wants to see those kinds of lower scoring games. The passing and ball movement are as good as it's ever been. We can thank the Warriors for that. At least the ISO offense is dead, the late 90's 00s NBA was the worst the NBA has ever been. Just horrible. There are too many 3s now, and the players are too good at them. But it is what it is.

This year's Celtics team is amazing to watch, playing incredibly efficient basketball on both ends. So I am looking forward to the playoffs.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Go to a live game where you can see the whole court and you'd see Akeem cherrypicking a good part of the game.

Considering Olajuwon is 59 years old, yes, I would expect him to be cherry picking his court running quite a bit nowadays. Back in his early years and prime, he was one of the best two way players.
Now, if you want to walk it back even further (You've already walked back your "I never saw these guys never get back to play D" and turned it in to "cherry picking a good part") and just say no player runs the court every play in any game, that would make sense. Every fan knows players will take off some plays during a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom