Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • Immediately took notice that DePaul did not come out pressing UConn, after the past few years when the Huskies quickly broke the Blue Demons press for easy baskets. Even when DePaul pressed some in the 2nd qtr, it was very soft pressure.
  • As Crystal was raining down 3’s from the cheap seats, I remembered her first game as a freshman when she took a long 3 pointer and Geno got all over her for shooting from that far out. No more complaints from Geno. Crystal’s shooting range is flat-out ridiculous!
  • I thought UConn could have gone to Liv in the low post just about every time down the court. She was a huge mismatch for whichever Blue Demon was attempting to guard her.
  • Crystal’s shooting from downtown lead to the oddest matchup of the night as Doug Bruno decided to have 6’2” Chante Stonewall, his best defender, take a shot at containing Crystal.
  • Credit to DePaul in the 2nd half. Down 26 at intermission they just keep coming at you. They’re like Jason in Friday the 13th. They shoot 2/13 from the arc in the 1st half, but in the 2nd half, with UConn doing a pretty darn good job of contesting their shots, DePaul just started making everything.
  • Much closer than I thought it would be, but the Huskies are 9-0.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
DePaul got ridiculously hot for a quarter and a half. We were not defending the 3 well enough for half that time but we were much better on the defensive end in the last 6 minutes. We did just enough bur CW continues to be the biggest enigma. One of the deadliest mid range games and should be able to create that shot at will but just does not do it enough.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
DePaul got ridiculously hot for a quarter and a half. We were not defending the 3 well enough for half that time but we were much better on the defensive end in the last 6 minutes. We did just enough bur CW continues to be the biggest enigma. One of the deadliest mid range games and should be able to create that shot at will but just does not do it enough.
I actually thought UConn did a reasonable job of contesting shots from the arc. DePaul made a bunch of 3's in the 3rd qtr into the first part of the 4th qtr with UConn defenders getting a hand in their face.

Reaction Score
So, for all the very smart people (you know who you are) who belittled posters for being concerned about defending Depaul's 3 pt shooting... what were you thinking when the game got down to 4 pts late in the second half? Will you apologize for your hubris? Yes, we won, but it was not pretty. It was a legitimate concern.

Reaction Score
tonyc, funny you should mention that UConn’s roster is comprised of several players ranked 1-6 in their respective classes. I was thinking the same thing. There are only a very few “elite” top 10 programs that are able to recruit and retain these “cream of the crop” blue chippers every year.

i.e., UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, South Carolina, Maryland, Louisville, Mississippi State, Oregon, Oregon State, Baylor, UCLA, Texas A&M, etc. DePaul does not attract top 10 ranked players.

The players DePaul has are good, and can play, but they are not blue chip (#1-5 in their class) players. If you go to ESPN’s hoopgirlz class rankings and look at the last 4 years, look at the schools the top 10 ranked players went to.

Fans overlook that dynamic at times. I agree with your take that the cream will rise to the top during this game, and UConn will prevail. By how much, I don’t know. Believe it or not, I ran out of envelopes. :confused:
Oregon State has their highest ranked player this year...30
Sorry no top ten players for the Beavers

Reaction Score
This isn't a complaint, but can anyone explain why Geno is benching Aubrey Griffin? Since her coming- out game, her minutes have been severely limited. And when she does play, she brings energy & effort.

I thought she was hurt at first. She needs to be getting minutes. Geno cant keep playing 5 or 6 the whole game. This team will wear out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, for all the very smart people (you know who you are) who belittled posters for being concerned about defending Depaul's 3 pt shooting... what were you thinking when the game got down to 4 pts late in the second half? Will you apologize for your hubris? Yes, we won, but it was not pretty. It was a legitimate concern.
It was a legit concern and the team did something about it for most of the game. Did you think they wouldn't?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Most of us are already married, so we really don't require some silly post from the left coast to say, "I told you so." ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom