Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 43 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's utterly ridiculous. The number of people that fancy themselves armchair ADs or big time negotiators or even super connected sports "journalists" is comical.

Someone posted that Twitter would be the downfall of civilization, if it hasn't already. I beg to differ. Civilization is doomed if the in this thread are any indication.
It took you this thread to come to that conclusion.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Right now $1.7m. They extended last year. Xavier's not going to be able to come up with matching doe. They'll need to do it again likely to keep him.

He'll be able to get $3.5-4m out of Louisville. Maybe more.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I've been neglecting my day job and looking/listening to all kinds of Hurley stuff
The latest of anything near concensus is that he is really struggling in making a decision and that those close to him are split also
Also hearing that Pitt is going all out with crazy money - money that don't think UConn can touch
If he goes to Pitt- it's going to be a build-up job in the ACC and something that's going to take a long time
To be honest - right now it doesn't look favorable to UConn - only my HO
If it's money - he goes to Pitt
If he's undecided and really torn - he stays at URI
If he wants a bump in pay and stay close to home (if RI is really home) - it's UConn

Damn - I hope AD David Benedict has a good back up or he will be the all-time UConn DB

Reaction Score
He should talk to Shaka. Pitt should talk to Texas. I think both sides will regret his two/three years in.
Yeah...it doesn't feel like the right match. I'm obviously biased, but I think this is right on.

Reaction Score
Confident for no reason in particular. I normally never hear things but I know someone that works at AAC HQ and they said the feeling around the higher ups was that Hurley would go to UConn but nothing official.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

That's a heavy offer. Doesn't sound right but idk.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
But that's kind of a Legacy holdover. If he's a free agent, you think he's getting signed for that?

The market is about what 'available' coaches are making going forward.

Nope. He will make ALOT more. But Villanova would get up to 3 for him. easy. Point being a non football non p5 school is able to Pay that to him NOW. And Villanova will be able to pay that to someone else (or more) going forward. So yes you can pay in the 3 mill range without football. Nova does now.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
That's a heavy offer. Doesn't sound right but idk.

That's an offer where they're competing against themselves. At this point, if that were the offer, Hurley would have already taken it. That's not the offer.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He should talk to Shaka. Pitt should talk to Texas. I think both sides will regret his two/three years in.
Shaka had a rebuild in Texas
He made the tournament this year and has a really solid recruiting crew coming in
That is a really tough league to rebuild in on the short run
I am not a Shaka fan at all but his team improved drastically this year in the best conference by far - ACC not close now
Texas is not in the A10 - there's a team in the NIT that most likely would have gone through the A10 undefeated - Ok State

Reaction Score
There might never be another JC nationally. Build his own program from scratch into a 3 time NC program. And then have it continue for a bit after. That's other worldly. Guys like K can't even claim that.

That's the important point here: he doesn't have to be a Calhoun. He has to come in and take a program with history and a fertile recruiting ground somewhere near where it was. Lest we forget, JC missed the NCAAs 1 out of every 4 years. In the AAC you should be able to make it pretty much every year.

The highs are still competing for a NC, though maybe less regularly, but the lows not be as low.

After the last 3.5 years, the next coach doesn't have to do a ton to win us over. Some programs never recover (Indiana isn't really back yet), and some hit a bump and then bounce back. We're not UNC, and never will be. But we have more NCs, and a more recent history of multiple NCs, than UNC did when Roy came.

In other words, the world has changed and we aren't going to get someone as good as JC. But we don't need one to be in the national picture.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
'Big week!"

As ambiguous as that is Chief's dick is out. We better get Hurley.
I hope so, but I am willing to accept an invite to the Big 10 as an alternate prize.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nope. He will make ALOT more. But Villanova would get up to 3 for him. easy. Point being a non football non p5 school is able to Pay that to him NOW. And Villanova will be able to pay that to someone else (or more) going forward. So yes you can pay in the 3 mill range without football. Nova does now.

I read your OP differently. As in, he's only getting 2.5m from Nova.

So we are in agreement. He'll be in the 3-3.5m bracket shortly at Nova. He would command more than $5mil plus on the open market.

The amount of revenue and marketing and donations Wright brings in is likely worth the investment in JW.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t have much to add other than I hope we land him bc I feel there is a huge drop off after that. I also feel we will...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not really the point though is it? P5 deep pockets will continue to drive up the A list talent prices eventually making them out of reach for G5 schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom