Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 45 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It’s weird being on the sideline at times like this.
You can come here as a sock puppet instead of an underwear manikin.

Reaction Score
It’s weird being on the sideline at times like this.

We Need:

6b41fd33b36a1ce27fc0a3b8f9d8df4c_768_432.jpg

Reaction Score
You have a less cynical view of the world than I have. How long go you believe the honeymoon will last if the next coach accomplishes what you describe.

Otherwise I agree with everything else you wrote.
That's fair. I think we should be a Top 20 team pretty much every year, contending for deep runs.

Titles are rare and hard. We've been unusually lucky there. I don't want--or think--our run in competing for them is over.

But our next coach better have us competing for the second weekend regularly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When I drop my son off at college next week, I will drop off some Uconn gear at Musselman's office.
I'm fine with that so long as it is given with the complements of UConn MBB Coach Hurley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Screw this, we don't have time to waste on Hurley being wishy washy. Need a new coach this week so if Hurley can't "decide" by noon tomorrow we move on so a coach in place by Friday. Need to make a pitch to available recruits before snapped up, our current roster needs a stud for next year. If Hurley isn't excited to run a program like UConn then he's the wrong guy!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's fair. I think we should be a Top 20 team pretty much every year, contending for deep runs.

Titles are rare and hard. We've been unusually lucky there. I don't want--or think--our run in competing for them is over.

I’d be happy with that but I remember the days JC got us into the tournament and fans were calling for his head because he couldn’t get past the sweet sixteen.

The fans have gotten worse with their expectations since then. Two abysmal seasons has tempered things temporarily.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Screw this, we don't have time to waste on Hurley being wishy washy. Need a new coach this week so if Hurley can't "decide" by noon tomorrow we move on so a coach in place by Friday. Need to make a pitch to available recruits before snapped up, our current roster needs a stud for next year. If Hurley isn't excited to run a program like UConn then he's the wrong guy!
And we know the AD hasn’t set a time limit how?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You have a less cynical view of the world than I have. How long do you believe the honeymoon will last if the next coach accomplishes what you describe.

All people want to see is incremental improvement. The first year or two could be tough. But if we see improvement in what the guys are doing, who's interested in UCONN, who's committing, etc etc I think most people will be happy. By year 3, I'd like to be competing for the AAC title, and looking at some sort of seeding in the tournament.

Reaction Score
or we just wait and see if he signs on the dotted line or not

Reaction Score
Do we know what the offers might be (salary)?

Assuming
$3m - Pitt
$2.5m - UConn
$2m - URI

Reaction Score

This is about right.

In a given 10-year period, I would expect the following:
Regular season performance
- AAC titles: 4 (top 3 most years)
- NCAAT appearances: 8
- Top 5 seeds: 5
- Top 2 seeds: 2

Postseason performance
- Sweet 16: 4
- Final Four: 1-2

Reaction Score

Nope. That is exactly what we need to avoid. Knee jerk reaction to short term issue (recruits for next year) which is not aligned with long term strategic goal. I say if we dont get Hurley we take a couple months to figure this out.

Reaction Score
I’d be happy with that but I remember the days JC got us into the tournament and fans were calling for his head because he couldn’t get past the sweet sixteen.

The fans have gotten worse with their expectations since then. Two abysmal seasons has tempered things temporarily.

I disagree. I think most fans just want a team that plays hard and smart and makes the tournament with regularity. A deep run in the tourney would be nice as well every now and then.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Do we know what the offers might be (salary)?
$3m - Pitt
$2.5m - UConn
$2m - URI
If URI goes up to $2mm I wouldn't be surprised if he stays there.

URI is not at $2m, no way no how. I bet $1.5m at the highest. As others have suggested, it's probably more about financial support of the BB program going forward. That's something he doesn't have to worry about at the other schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
URI is not at $2m, no way no how. I bet $1.5m at the highest. As others have suggested, it's probably more about financial support of the BB program going forward. That's something he doesn't have to worry about at the other schools.

That’s kinda what I’m feeling but you never know. I think Pitt is just leverage. Can’t see him going there...

Reaction Score
If hurley doesnt work out we have time
No we don't. If we don't get a coach soon we run the risk of a mass exodus of our current roster and no incoming recruiting class. We instantly become Pitt without our desired coach in a worse conference. The margin for error on this hire is 0. The clock is ticking.

Reaction Score
And we know the AD hasn’t set a time limit how?
We're still UConn for Christsakes, Pitt has the ACC and nothing else. If he wants to stay at URI he already knows that and that's fine but otherwise what is there to decide honestly.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is about right.

In a given 10-year period, I would expect the following:
Regular season performance
- AAC titles: 4 (top 3 most years)
- NCAAT appearances: 8
- Top 5 seeds: 5
- Top 2 seeds: 2

Postseason performance
- Sweet 16: 4
- Final Four: 1-2

8 NCAA tournaments sounds a bit high? JC was 18/25. Under Hurley, I'd think in the 65%-70% neighborhood. jmo tho

And remember, Hurley has to build this up again. Not from scratch, but this isn't an F16 ready to take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom