So the offense doesn't work | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So the offense doesn't work

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You like to tell everyone how stupid they are. Why don't you add something to the board? Tell me what the offense is doing and should be doing.

When you come on, two games into the season, and claim that the offense is a bust a few days after it scored 102 points, you basically just need to stop posting forever.

Like, not even one more. The contents of your head are just not good enough to share with the world.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
DH must see something we don’t. It’s the same general offensive scheme as the last two years. Take a few possessions and focus on off-the-ball player movement. Positionally, offensive rebounding is a challenge with players hanging around the 3 line, and for shot selection it’s either take it to the rim or pop a 3. There is virtually no mid-range scoring.

Agree 100%. And getting from 20 feet out to the tin is hard because the help D is going to come, so the penetration really needs to be to pass. I think the players are looking to pass when they drive, but the offense is not set up to give them a lot of options.

Look at when Gonzaga drives. There are 2 to 3 options for the guard every time, and a lot of those drives end in dump offs for dunks or layups. We got a few of those against Central, but the are not going to be there against the better defenses.

Reaction Score
Watch any 10 minutes of the replay of the Louisville/Seton Hall game if you want to see what two very good offenses look like. The spacing was incredible. There were driving lanes, ball screens, back screens and slip screens, excellent passing, and both teams got a lot of good looks despite I thought pretty good defense.
Why stop there. Im pissed we didnt look like Gozaga. You should have applied when KFree did. Rememher last year when we kind of stunk and then found our footing and were playing great when things stopped? We have way more talent this year. Much of it is new though. It may take more than 2 games to to integrate and find our footing, especially considering everything going on in the world and within the program recently.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I am trying to have an X's and O's conversation. There are plenty of other threads where you can make random insults.
You’re trying to trend off of one data point and the only other is very contradictive to it. Tonight wasn’t great, but to say the offense doesn’t work is an overreaction. I don’t think there will be many games when there is nobody who can hit a 3 for 15 straight minutes. As for the insult, sorry I was just poking fun

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Mid range scoring is not a priority what so ever, and is dying all throughout basketball. Why would we emphasize that?

Do you ever pass up a chance to be a jerk? If you don't like the thread, don't post in it.

Reaction Score
How many times have we played teams of CCSU quality and not scored 102 points. Anyone care to count?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Do you ever pass up a chance to be a jerk? If you don't like the thread, don't post in it.
You’re getting upset for being called out when you’re blatantly wrong about almost everything. You’re not smarter than guys like Jay Wright and Dan Hurley. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why stop there. Im pissed we didnt look like Gozaga. You should have applied when KFree did. Rememher last year when we kind of stunk and then found our footing and were playing great when things stopped? We have way more talent this year. Much of it is new though. It may take more than 2 games to to integrate and find our footing, especially considering everything going on in the world and within the program recently.

I have like 4 posts in this thread identifying my specific problems with the offense, and it isn't just UConn's version of it. This isn't two bad games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You’re getting upset for being called out when you’re blatantly wrong about almost everything. You’re not smarter than guys like Jay Wright and Dan Hurley. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

I am not getting upset. You are a garden variety troll and I want to have a discussion of basketball. This thread isn't for you.

Reaction Score
It is an overreaction two games into this bizzaro season, but running smooth offensive sets isn't a strength of Dan Hurley.

But it is too early to make any concrete assessments about this team.

Reaction Score
Mid range scoring is not a priority what so ever, and is dying all throughout basketball. Why would we emphasize that?
That’s where the open shots are and it forces defenders to pull back off the 3 line and pulls up the front court defender opening the baseline. As long as the center can sit in the lane to contest drives and the wing defenders can creep out to contest the 3 line, there are giant holes at 10-14 feet. The minute they have close those holes, space on edge frees up and the more out of position the center is forced to help, the easier it is to drive the lane or dump to a man in the low post running the baseline. It just using the entire court to create openings.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I am not getting upset. You are a garden variety troll and I want to have a discussion of basketball. This thread isn't for you.
If you weren't impressed by the CCSU game, what do you think the score would've been with a traditional lineup? Serious question.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You’re trying to trend off of one data point and the only other is very contradictive to it. Tonight wasn’t great, but to say the offense doesn’t work is an overreaction. I don’t think there will be many games when there is nobody who can hit a 3 for 15 straight minutes. As for the insult, sorry I was just poking fun

This offense doesn't work, and the shooting is not great because the offense is not going to create a lot of great shots. I also don't think the offense emphasizes the players' strengths. If we had a lot of slow guys that were great shooters, then play a 4 out and whip the ball around like Villanova does. We don't, but we do have two great penetrators in Bouk and Cole, we have a few athletes with height (Whaley, Sanogo, Jackson, Martin) and Polley is a good catch and shoot shooter.

I don't think we are using them correctly.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you weren't impressed by the CCSU game, what do you think the score would've been with a traditional lineup? Serious question.

I love Seton Hall's offense. I love Gonzaga's offense. They have inside-outside ball movement, penetration, and kick outs to catch and shoot 3's while facing the basket (these are the highest percentage 3's, which is the right way to use analytics)

Reaction Score
I have like 4 posts in this thread identifying my specific problems with the offense, and it isn't just UConn's version of it. This isn't two bad games.
Your first sentence in this thread says our offense is a bust through 2 games. If your complaint is you do not like Dan Hurleys overall offensive philosophy in general yesterday, today and tomorrow then you buried the lead and that is a seperate conversation.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I meant to bring this up in the other threads. Defenses have adjusted to "analytics offenses". Watch how teams defend the perimeter. They completely sell out to defend the perimeter, and don't worry as much about getting beat because they are going to funnel you to their rim protector. Defenses aren't even defending the mid-range any more. They stop the 3, or sprint back to the basket. That is a very different way of defense than if you have to defend the potential pullup. It is easier if you dont' have to defend the whole 20 feet from the 3 point line to the basket, you just have to defend 2 spots.

Even Hurley does this defensively. They come out hard on the 3, or sprint back if beaten.

Reaction Score
Yes, Hurley stresses defending the 3 just like every coach should with the way the game has evolved. Right now, we are missing Vitale and Gilberts perimeter D a bit. They had their issues at times but on ball D was not one of them. Hopefully we get better in this area. Will be critical going forward. Much more than any offensive woes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes, Hurley stresses defending the 3 just like every coach should with the way the game has evolved. Right now, we are missing Vitale and Gilberts perimeter D a bit. They had their issues at times but on ball D was not one of them. Hopefully we get better in this area. Will be critical going forward. Much more than any offensive woes.

Gilbert and Vital had really quick feet, so when they got beat, they recovered quickly. Our guards are not recovering quickly.

Reaction Score
I'm going to post the same thing I did in a different thread. Because some people need to understand this.

When you have a lot of new and inexperienced, but talented, players on a team it's going to take time to figure out roles and rotations. Usually you use 12 or 13 games before conference play with lots of buy games and a few high major games to work on this and see how things look. We have a bunch of talented new players who've never played with each other before (Sanogo, Jackson, Cole, Martin). And other guys are relatively inexperienced (Bouknight and Gaffney are still just sophomores). Those players were most of the minutes in the first 2 games.

Unfortunately with this messed up season they don't have that long before conference play to figure things out. I don't think these things ever get worked out in 2 games except when you have a very experienced team coming back (think 1998-1999 team) who have played extensively with each other. It's going to be a work in progress until at least early January.

Reaction Score
I'm going to post the same thing I did in a different thread. Because some people need to understand this.

When you have a lot of new and inexperienced, but talented, players on a team it's going to take time to figure out roles and rotations. Usually you use 12 or 13 games before conference play with lots of buy games and a few high major games to work on this and see how things look. We have a bunch of talented new players who've never played with each other before (Sanogo, Jackson, Cole, Martin). And other guys are relatively inexperienced (Bouknight and Gaffney are still just sophomores). Those players were most of the minutes in the first 2 games.

Unfortunately with this messed up season they don't have that long before conference play to figure things out. I don't think these things ever get worked out in 2 games except when you have a very experienced team coming back (think 1998-1999 team) who have played extensively with each other. It's going to be a work in progress until at least early January.
Would like this twice if I could.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I love Seton Hall's offense. I love Gonzaga's offense. They have inside-outside ball movement, penetration, and kick outs to catch and shoot 3's while facing the basket (these are the highest percentage 3's, which is the right way to use analytics)
They do have great offenses(and players), but I don't think we can play Gonzaga style without bigs like Timmie and Watson. Timmie also plays inside out frequently.

Reaction Score
I will try it a different way. THIS offense does not work. I don't think more practice is going to make it significantly better.

I don’t think it’s crazy to say the offense has not looked all that good in either game, I just think it’s way too early to make any definitive pronouncements given how little they’ve practiced and how many guys are currently in the mix for playing time. I don’t think there’s any reason to say that Hurley’s offensive philosophy can’t succeed.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem I see is that is that their PGs cannot get them into the offense. Cole is not a traditional PG. He struggles to beat people off the dribble and he almost never sets up his teammates. He is really a two guard who is looking to find space for himself first and when he fails he is often in a bad place and throws a worthless pass that requires a reset of the play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom