So the offense doesn't work | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So the offense doesn't work

Reaction Score
I don’t agree with any of it at all. Team was inpatient on offense, and over aggressive on defense.

3s are fine. But, you need good 3s. Not the sidestep off the dribble 3. The ball needs to hit the paint on a drive or pass and the kick out for 3.

whaley a good passer out of the post. Cole is a prolific 3-point shooter. He can shoot all day.
They need patience. I like whaley and Sanogo splitting time at the 5.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn’t have a chance to catch the Seton Hall/Louisville game so I checked out the Seton Hall box score to see what great offense looks like. Apparently it’s 33% from the field, 26% from 3, with one more assist than turnover.

They just missed a ton of easy wide open shots I guess.

I posted this during the game:

Louisville vs. Seton Hall is a well played game but Seton Hall is just ice cold. Everything looks right until the ball leaves the players' hands. They can't throw it in the ocean right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s the inverse of our problem with Carlton on D. He chased those guys outside, leaving the lane open. Smart defenders realize they can simply play that screener 5-6 feet back so they can recover to protect the rim. Hurley is trying to lure opposing centers out and nobody is taking the bait, because our guys can’t score from out there.

I would rather see us occupy the defensive 5 with a player who can seal him off one to side of the lane. I watch a lot of Kansas games and this is what I see them doing. Their offense is a hell of a lot more elegant than ours. If the center converges on the driving player, our C should now be open for an interior pass. if they do send the 5 out, you will see the wing cut along the baseline to the basket for an alley oop or back door pass. Our wings just stand there.

That is a great video. Thank you for sharing it. The movement doesn't need to be rocket science, but an offense has to be a threat to attack the basket on passes or the defense can just keep handing off the cutters.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Apparently @superjohn, @Psolo12 and quite a few other posters in this thread know UConn's offense better than Coach Hurley.

Seriously SJ, how many times do I have to dunk on you in 24 hours?

Reaction Score

Apparently @superjohn, @Psolo12 and quite a few other posters in this thread know UConn's offense better than Coach Hurley.

Seriously SJ, how many times do I have to dunk on you in 24 hours?

You complaining incessantly about the wrong defense last night and clearly not knowing what a 1-3-1 is was great but you really should've been banned for creating that Carlton thread telling him to quit.

Continue to make up that myself and others want us to play 4 guards together and whatever you're trying to do here, it's really working out well for you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn’t have a chance to catch the Seton Hall/Louisville game so I checked out the Seton Hall box score to see what great offense looks like. Apparently it’s 33% from the field, 26% from 3, with one more assist than turnover.

They just missed a ton of easy wide open shots I guess.

This post didn't age well, did it?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You complaining incessantly about the wrong defense last night and clearly not knowing what a 1-3-1 is was great but you really should've been banned for creating that Carlton thread telling him to quit.

Continue to make up that myself and others want us to play 4 guards together and whatever you're trying to do here, it's really working out well for you.

You just made up a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't actually say. I dunked on you for 3 days, and Hurley finished the job last night. You should find something else to post about. I don't think posting about basketball is for you.

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say this team should be better than last year. I mean, Carlton's PT has been reduced to zero. Which is a bit odd, but suggests our new bigs are better. We will be improving our comp as well. So we'll see how our improved squad fairs in the win/loss column.

The least of my worries is how well the offense is working at the moment.

Reaction Score
You just made up a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't actually say. I dunked on you for 3 days, and Hurley finished the job last night. You should find something else to post about. I don't think posting about basketball is for you.
When everyone on the board tells you you're a moron except for freescooter, it's a you problem. It is fun watching you make a clown of yourself so I'm glad the Carlton thread only got taken down and you weren't banned but that was probably the most pathetic thread ever created here, maybe you learned your lesson but I doubt it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When everyone on the board tells you you're a moron except for freescooter, it's a you problem. It is fun watching you make a clown of yourself so I'm glad the Carlton thread only got taken down and you weren't banned but that was probably the most pathetic thread ever created here, maybe you learned your lesson but I doubt it.

Hurley agreed with essentially everything I said last night.

You lost on this one. Move along.

Reaction Score
Hurley agreed with essentially everything I said last night.

You lost on this one. Move along.
He's a million times better than you are at it...
gaslighting-people-who-gaslight-typically-use-the-following-techniques-1-24493209.png

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think we have the talent to play an analytics driven 4/5 out offense, and I don't think Hurley really believes in it anyway. He should play the offense he feels comfortable with, with some analytics principles thrown in. Hurley is not Jay Wright. He is a throwback coach and I think he wants to play a throwback style. That is probably also the right style for the talent he has.

Dribble penetration, quick ball movement, some post up, but allow the players to improvise.

Reaction Score
Since Hurley agreed with me about Seton Hall, your sarcasm looks even less clever.
Oh, I didn’t know he said that to support you, that’s cool.

For Seton Hall’s sake I should certainly hope they look much better than us right now. The huge majority of their minutes go to guys that are in their 3rd or 4th years with the program, which is a massive advantage in a world where tons of teams aren’t able to practice.

Reaction Score
It’s the inverse of our problem with Carlton on D. He chased those guys outside, leaving the lane open. Smart defenders realize they can simply play that screener 5-6 feet back so they can recover to protect the rim. Hurley is trying to lure opposing centers out and nobody is taking the bait, because our guys can’t score from out there.

I would rather see us occupy the defensive 5 with a player who can seal him off one to side of the lane. I watch a lot of Kansas games and this is what I see them doing. Their offense is a hell of a lot more elegant than ours. If the center converges on the driving player, our C should now be open for an interior pass. if they do send the 5 out, you will see the wing cut along the baseline to the basket for an alley oop or back door pass. Our wings just stand there.

Exactly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom