So for now, can we maybe put to bed the "SC would really challenge UCONN" discussions? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So for now, can we maybe put to bed the "SC would really challenge UCONN" discussions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm perfectly happy with SC becoming the unanimous no. 1 after today, and remaining so until a loss.

As a UConn fan I empathize with those who disagree, but if you reverse the situation in your heads (an undefeated UConn barely handling a 9th ranked opponent while a 3rd ranked one loss ND routs a 2nd ranked team), you can see where they are coming from. Many UConn fans would very much not agree with losing the number 1 rank in that scenario. ;)

The poll rankings necessarily rely somewhat on inertia. It's always been that way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's all about the W. I don't think FSU is better than Baylor in football, but they don't have an L.

Contrary to what popular songs say, it's not all about that base, it's all about that W.
Totally true. BUT there are times where lower ranked teams have leapfrogged higher ranked teams even if they both win. I don't think the polls change in that I think on Monday it's

SC
UCONN
Texas
ND
everyone else

but my point is that UCONN's away smackdown of #2 ND is far more impressive than SC barely escaping with a W at their away game vs. a Duke team coming off 2 losses.

I also would not be surprised to see UCONN garner some #1 votes in the polls. But I think SC remains at the top ...

Reaction Score
Can a South Carolina fan explain this picture that has been posted on Twitter

B4SIL8gIIAADQEI.jpg
Seeing it and playing it at the highest level does not necessarily equate to coaching it a higher level than all time great coaches. Dawn is probably a top coach but compared to the names she supposedly mentioned in this tweet she's been coaching for about 5 minutes. Get to a few sweet sixteens, elite eights and final fours and we can all evaluate how well your eyes work for you.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
lol...

Notre Dame and Duke are entirely different teams...

Duke is guard poor. They probably would prefer not to be such at such of a degree that they are, but it is what it is. Duke however, has a wealth of talent and depth in the interior. Size and height. They even have a A'ja Wilson-type guard, in 6-5 Azura Stevens, who officially is the tallest player on their roster.

Everyone knows Duke is led by 6-3 Elizabeth Williams. She's Duke's #2 leading scorer right now. It's leading scorer is 6-1 Rebecca Greenwell, who as a G is fairly big-sized herself. Then they have Stevens, who is their 3rd-leading scorer. 6-4 Forward Odela Chidum is their 4th-leading scorer. 6-0 Sierra Calhoun - a G - is #5 in scoring for them.

Do y'all see where this is heading? The top 4 of Grennwell, Williams, Stevens, and Chidum are all averaging dbl-digit scoring, and Calhoun is right under them at 9.7 ppg. Duke relies so much on their height and size, and USC had a battle on their hands dealing with it. It was very similar to what many teams deal with concerning our own height and size.

Then take Notre Dame: they also have some height and size on their roster - they have 6 players 6-0 or taller officially, and all of them are actually 6-2 or taller. One of them is Brianna Turner at 6-3. She was injured and didn't play against UConn - Turner is ND's #2 leading scorer at 13.4 ppg. Then ND has 6-3 Tara Reimer, who is also a starter like Turner: she is 3rd on the team behind Turner in scoring (10.1 ppg). After those 2, the other 4 bigs for ND are reserves: one of them in Kristina Nelson hasn't appeared in a game this season. The other 3 - Kathryn Westbeld, Markisha Wright, and Diamond Thompson contribute 7.4, 4.4, and 1.6 pts per gm respectively. Or 6th, 9th, and 11th in scoring on the team. Westbeld is actually 2nd on the team in rebounding, but Wright averages 3.3 rpg and Thompson 0.6 rpg. Reserves in reserve roles.

So the pattern is clear. UConn itself has above average height and size in Stewart, Stokes, and Tuck - all team leaders in ppg and rpg. In ND, they lost a key starter in Turner who is also one of their key contributing bigs. Their leading scorer in 5-10 Jewell Loyd started out red hot hitting her 1st 5 shots but then turned granite cold. One of their other big scoring contributors in Mabrey disappeared for the game with 0 pts. The entire ND team IMO looked like USC looked in their 1st half today: too over-wound for the big game and burdened with self-loaded pressure.

But ND was also intimidated by the UConn size, as they really weren't a match for your team in that area. USC likewise also was pushed around early, but unlike ND we have size of our own as well as Dawn Staley's perimeter defense whereas Duke's guards were a bit overwhelmed. So we calmed down during halftime, made a few adjustments and came out a better team. Still had to struggle a bit with the lenient officiating that allowed for very physical play as well as continuing struggles hitting our shots, but improved enough to make the difference.

The UConn game may be an entirely different story. But would Notre Dame effect our team physically like Duke was able to today? I have seen no reason - even with a healthy Turner - this season to think so. ND's matchup issue would be in Loyd's and Turner's athleticism, but we have the G-based defense to cause Loyd some issues, and enough height and size - in this case we'd clearly have the advantage, as opposed to facing Duke - to cause them issues inside similar to what UConn caused them.

No, the Duke and ND games would be entirely different animals, based on personnel matchups and advantages. One thing however to consider is that unlike what UConn was fortunate with, we'd also most likely face a healthy Notre Dame who'd have all their key players. So another reason why one can't compare the two scenarios...

I agree that UConn had one person that ND did not - a Kiah Stokes - they have no one with that set of skills who could compete in the paint - they lack a center this year. I said before the game that Stokes could be a game changer. Turner, had she been in the game would likely have been matched to Tuck and may heaven have helped her. It would be a match up that I would have loved to have seen. With Turner, the game may have been a lot closer, but UConn's adjustments shut down ND's shooting and even limited Lloyd, a player worthy of the accolades that she receives, and the outcome would have been the similar IMO. The size differences between the two teams was negligible, as the players with significant minutes had UConn playing one more player over 6 feet, yet all ND's guards save Allen are at 5-10 and 5-11.

The UConn Notre Dame games are interesting and competitive because the teams are well coached and the coaches are the best in the game. They are well executed chess matches and anyone thinking that they can beat either of these two teams at this point is not realizing the whole picture IMO. But, I also know that fans will be fans and as such have faith in their teams up until the game starts - then all hell breaks loose - the garnet colored glasses come off and the truth is revealed, and the true fans are separated from the folks who were all bluster and now cannot conceal their disappointment.

You see this all the time in fan boards.

South Carolina doesn't play Notre Dame in the regular season. I would pay to see that game. I wouldn't route for anybody, because I dislike ND for reasons not discussed in this post, but I would be very interested in seeing how South Carolina fares against well coached, talented team that executes so very well. I would guess that SC would be out of gas shortly into the second half.

Wait - what am I saying? I do get to see SC play a team that took ND out of their comfort zone on their own floor, leaving their coach with a laundry list of things to work on before our next meeting. But what I saw of Notre Dame was some good stuff, and I saw nothing in either of the South Carolina games that told me that they were the superior team.

Yes, you won the game, but the game was Duke's to lose - a redshirt freshman got tied up and stripped because the coach didn't have the instinct to call a time out when she got in trouble. You got lucky. I am banking that in the meeting on 9th February, South Carolina will not get so lucky if they should find themselves in such a predicament at the end of the game which is not likely. They will be gassed by the first 5 minutes of the second half, and any positives on that team will be sufficiently negated by UConn's relentless defense. Stanford was a wake up call and UConn is now awake.

There is a reason why they say it's UConn and then everyone else.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im not sure what playing up to their potential is because in 3 competitive games SC has not won easily. Against South Cal South Carolina won by 9 at home, against a weaken Cuse SC won by 4 on a neutral court and against Duke by 1 on the road. It is very apparent to me that SC is talented and big but against top teams they struggle. Most good teams who play good teams will struggle and most good teams who play lesser talented teams will look much better. Matching 2 good teams against each other shows teams their weaknesses. Stanford showed UConn they were starting the wrong players and Geno made that adjustment now UConn looks almost unbeatable. SC has had 3 good games and not stepped up to win them handely.

UConn may not lose another game (barring injuries) for the rest of the season. SC on the other hand will. The SEC has alot of ranked teams but none overwhelming where a number 1 team shouldnt handle them easily. From what Ive seen a Duke team without great guards and a Cuse team missing a top player and SC doesnt put them away leaves unanswered questions of how good SC really is. SC being undefeated and already ranked 1 should hold on to that number 1 spot but UConn is by far the best team in WCBB and the team to beat. SC is a good team but not a great team. SC TAM ND TX Baylor are all top teams with talent. They will all fight it out to gain a one seed in the NCAAs. UConn will be there and the biggest fear at the end of the season will be who gets put in UConns bracket. Height is needed to win games however quickness, good guard play, confidence, continuity, and team chemistry is very important but not as important as team defense.

Reaction Score
Duke only averaged under 5000 fans per home game last season....they are right at 4,000 now, but that should likely increas as their conference schedule begins, unless they fall off the map. That has been about what to expect for their home games. And Duke lost 2 games - not 3 - which were their previous 2 that Williams missed, and she played the entire game today, so not really the same thing. Williams is easily their top player, and both previous losses were to ranked opponents, so not exactly what your post implies I'm sure....
My bad Cle ...Site I checked and looked too quick, you are 100% right they only had two losses. Still #1 beat #9 by one at the buzzer. Not a pig pile occasion in my eyes but who am I to take away anyones joy. I did find the game good for the sport. Not so much the we just won the NC celebration this early in the season.
Just curious does your fan base have a board like this? You spend enough time here to lead me to believe you are a closet UCONN fan! I can only hope as to make it exciting that the Cocks are still number one on 2/9/15 . Look forward to seeing that change the next week. Good luck....

Reaction Score
USC deserves to be ranked #1 based on being undefeated BUT UConn is the best team right now. Only these rabid USC fans with their "rose colored glasses" can't see that right now which is understandable. They have a good coach and a good young team. UConn will beat them in February and reality will set in. Unfortunately they probably won't be undefeated when they play us because they're not that good-certainly not in ND class.

Reaction Score
After watching SC struggle against a Duke team who is lacking a bit at the guard spots there is no doubt in my mind UConn is the team to beat. Its UConn and everybody else barring injuries. Beating ND at ND with 24 turnovers and a 28pt turnaround gives me a lot of confidence. Who should be number 2? Good question. There are a lot of good teams TAM SC TX ND but still any of these teams can lose to each other or to some other team in the top 10 or a team in the top 20 that gets hot. UConn wont. The emergence of Tuck and Nurse who will both be around for a few more years and looking ahead Butler and next years class means UConn will be the team to beat for at least 5 more years. Getting back to this season. We have DePaul and UCLA then Duke and later SC. I don't see any of these teams within double digits of UConn. In fact if UConn gets hot it could get ugly. So when the polls come out this week it should be an Undefeated SC at number 1 in some polls and UConn 2 but UConn will be the best team in the country until SC loses.
Tony, I love ya but it seems that in a good portion of your posts you seem to feel the need to project us "being the team to beat" five years out or so instead of keeping us in the realm of our "present" season. I know you and I and others can get a bit excited in the immediate wake of a new impressive signee or two (or three) but after that, I would think we can focus on the current season. Just saying!

Reaction Score
Meh....

Interesting comparison can be made here:

In one scenario, the #1-ranked team in wcbb goes on the road in an early-season game of interest against an opponent who is ranked below them but still in the top 10, to play them on their home court. A tough, physical game where the #1 plays below it's standards, and the game comes down to the wire. And the #1-ranked team LOSES....

In the other scenario, the #1-ranked team in wcbb goes on the road in an early-season game of interest against an opponent who is ranked below them but still in the top 10, to play them on their home court. A tough, physical game where the #1 plays below it's standards, and the game comes down to the wire. And the #1-ranked team WINS....

And yet, according to this site, the 1st scenario was regarded as a blessing in disguise to the losing, former #1 team, and one which they can only move on from and improve. And strangely, the 2nd scenario was regarded as proof that the current, still #1 team is undeserving of the #1 ranking, and that they were shown to be the frauds that they are.

It's interesting to observe how those 2 scenarios are playing out. Don't you think??
Did you take into account that in the first scenario, the top ten team hosting the number one team actually played a very good ball game and helped contribute to the number one team who played kind of okay despite some mental errors losing while in the second scenario, the number one team and the hosting top ten team both embarrassed themselves and women's college basketball with pathetic performances that set back basketball for those that tuned in and thought that a high level of basketball was going to be on display? There is no one who enjoys women's basketball who enjoyed the performances on display Sunday while I can guarantee y0u that wasn't the case in the first scenario. All you have to do is read the followups or listen to the halftime analysis and end of game analysis for both games. No comparison whatsoever!

Reaction Score
USC deserves to be ranked #1 based on being undefeated BUT UConn is the best team right now. Only these rabid USC fans with their "rose colored glasses" can't see that right now which is understandable. They have a good coach and a good young team. UConn will beat them in February and reality will set in. Unfortunately they probably won't be undefeated when they play us because they're not that good-certainly not in ND class.
I hope you know that in college football there is only one division one team that's undefeated and they are the defending champs and YET, they are NOT number one. The reason for that is they have convinced many voters that they ARE NOT the best team in the country, DESPITE their being undefeated. Alabama, who has one loss, is rated for and way as the superior team and Florida State isn't even the number 2 team in the country. You know why, because these people don't PRESUME that just because a team is undefeated and another one isn't, that the UNDEFEATED team is the better team. I love that and believe it and I'm not alone!

Reaction Score
"A team that's much better than Duke".why? Because they hadn't lost their top player in Williams yet to go undefeated until they played y'all? They lost their #2 top player in Turner.and lost.

All I took from this game was USC came out against a top-10 caliber opponent on their home floor with unprecedented pressure and expectations placed on themselves, and struggled in the 1st half. Played uncharacteristically poor. And yet only trailed by 4 pts. Our offense was poor, but our defense was stellar. We could've been down by 20 otherwise...

South Carolina came out the 2nd half and shot 14 for 25 (56%). A much better improvement. USC beat Duke despite getting poor performances from it's top 2 players in Mitchell and Welch, who went a combined 6-21 and scored 15 pts. That won't happen often this season.

And yet it's a great learning experience for USC - much like the loss to Stanford was for UConn, according to posters here. We passed our 2nd biggest test and was left still standing. I doubt the voters will penalize USC heavily for one poor half of basketball that they STILL came away from unscathed. The other teams are playing each other and losing, regardless of how they looked on the court. We've yet to do that....

CLE802A- - - I think what the Huskies fans are saying is UCONN has beaten good Duke teams by 30 to 40 points in the last 4 years at home and at Duke and your SoCar girls at #1 barely beat a bad Duke team and UCONN will slaughter Duke again Dec. 29th! Beating Duke the way SoCar did was not a highlight! It's a win but shows WBB SoCar may NOT be ready for the top step yet!
This was SoCar's highlight game so far this season and they came up lacking. Yes UCONN lost to Stanford by 2 in 2OT but they've proven recently that was UCONN throwing it away more that Stanford dominating!
SoCar has great potential but so does every player and every team. Until you perform on the BIG stage and succeed you haven't done it!

Reaction Score
Did you take into account that in the first scenario, the top ten team hosting the number one team actually played a very good ball game and helped contribute to the number one team who played kind of okay despite some mental errors losing while in the second scenario, the number one team and the hosting top ten team both embarrassed themselves and women's college basketball with pathetic performances that set back basketball for those that tuned in and thought that a high level of basketball was going to be on display? There is no one who enjoys women's basketball who enjoyed the performances on display Sunday while I can guarantee y0u that wasn't the case in the first scenario. All you have to do is read the followups or listen to the halftime analysis and end of game analysis for both games. No comparison whatsoever!
I dunno I thought that last 10 minutes or so of the South Carolina-Duke game was pretty exciting, and I'll bet the rest of basketball watching Anerica would rather watch that than a game that's over 10-12 minutes in like the UConn-ND game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I dunno I thought that last 10 minutes or so of the South Carolina-Duke game was pretty exciting, and I'll bet the rest of basketball watching Anerica would rather watch that than a game that's over 10-12 minutes in like the UConn-ND game.
10 minutes in, ND was ahead 28-21, but I don't think it was over.

I mean was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Facutal error; it was actually 28-18, before the Stoking began.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
cockhrnleghrn said:
...or for us to play twice - once in Storrs and once in Columbia.

2 losses would be bad for you, though

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
HoopsFan21 said:

Oh I don't know - I was wanting Duke to win so badly that I was pretty disappointed

Reaction Score

Yes standards are lowering everywhere. The UConn/ND game would only draw those interested in good basketball.

Reaction Score
Well, the Notre Dame/UConn game was tilted in Notre Dame's favor after ten minutes so I'm inclined to think that since UConn ended up winning the game handily, that they might feel a lot differently than you do. I do concede that the last ten minutes of the Duke/SC game was appreciably better, you first had to live with the first 30 minutes of game time or so and being appreciably better than PURE STINKO isn't saying a great deal.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
wishful thinking by south carolina
It will happen; maybe not this year, but certainly in the near future. It may take a couple of years, but at some point, being in an also ran conference is going to start costing you recruits; especially after Geno retires. As for this season, we will play on the court once, maybe twice. May the best team win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom