So for now, can we maybe put to bed the "SC would really challenge UCONN" discussions? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So for now, can we maybe put to bed the "SC would really challenge UCONN" discussions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
They barely beat Syracuse without their best player, Sykes who might be back in a couple weeks.
Everyone forgets Syracuse Sykes class was one of the highest rated recruiting classes that season - I think.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Meh....

Interesting comparison can be made here:

In one scenario, the #1-ranked team in wcbb goes on the road in an early-season game of interest against an opponent who is ranked below them but still in the top 10, to play them on their home court. A tough, physical game where the #1 plays below it's standards, and the game comes down to the wire. And the #1-ranked team LOSES....

In the other scenario, the #1-ranked team in wcbb goes on the road in an early-season game of interest against an opponent who is ranked below them but still in the top 10, to play them on their home court. A tough, physical game where the #1 plays below it's standards, and the game comes down to the wire. And the #1-ranked team WINS....

And yet, according to this site, the 1st scenario was regarded as a blessing in disguise to the losing, former #1 team, and one which they can only move on from and improve. And strangely, the 2nd scenario was regarded as proof that the current, still #1 team is undeserving of the #1 ranking, and that they were shown to be the frauds that they are.

It's interesting to observe how those 2 scenarios are playing out. Don't you think??
So now you are against Hypocracy & Double Standards???? Blasphemer!!!!! :)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It will happen; maybe not this year, but certainly in the near future. It may take a couple of years, but at some point, being in an also ran conference is going to start costing you recruits; especially after Geno retires. As for this season, we will play on the court once, maybe twice. May the best team win.

The best team will win, and it will be UConn. And things may change when Geno retires, but that's not happening in the near future, so that argument for the next 5 years or more is weak. Top recruits are still considering and if I am not mistaken, signing LOI for UConn, "also ran conference" not withstanding. And regardless of the aforementioned "also ran conference" we still play and beat top competition and are looking at winning what...our 10th National Championship in due course. So....

UConn is THE standard for Women's College Basketball, and at the end of the day, I, as are many of the fans on this board, am very proud of this team and their accomplishments.

You know, I get that you are a fan of another team. Oddly enough, I don't go over to your board - if you have one - and crow about my team on your board. I just don't.

Reaction Score
WRT "weak conference"... That used to be said about the Big East, and then it wasn't.

IME, a player who truly wants to be their best/reach their potential isn't too concerned about the conference games except as learning experiences. They are much more interested in playing in the last game of the season.

I remember when the orange folks used to come around here and ramble on about how next year, or the year after that was going to be different for one reason or another, and that their team was going to win, and UCONN would end up an also-ran for several years running. Well, they were right about that, except that they got the teams reversed.

Reaction Score
Why do we have to tear others down to make us better? That's what makes folks insufferable front-runners (and what we hate about Vols fans). i.e. "no matter what you do you can never be as good as us."

We should just be happy with the way UConn is playing and know that in Feb (and later, in April) that all will be decided on the court. Good for USC now...but watch out in two months.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
At some point Geno will retire and I believe UConn learned from Tenn that they need to have a plan in place for when that happens and they will. As far as comparing teams. To many fans think about offense and height. The game comes down to the team working as a unit and team defense. UConn has continually won because they play Team Defense. Everybody is plugged in and on the same page. That is part of the reason why when last season Geno had Tuck and KML out of the lineup they beat Stanford, Duke, MD, Ohio St and Penn St. It was defense for the most part. I see teams pre season ranked in the top 5 which are no longer there. They were ranked there why? They are no longer there because of lack of defense. Those teams ranked high had height but still lost. Why Defense. Geno has implemented a strong defense. You don't play unless you can play defense. Its defense first. Geno has some height and quickness too but its all about defense. You cant win big games consistently without defense. That's why UConn has won so many NCs and big games.

This season once again it is UConn and everybody else because they play Team Defense. Because the play as a team and team comes first, I don't believe UConn will lose another game this season (barring injuries). UConn will get better as will every other team but UConn as a team will get better as a team because they play as an unselfish team...team first individual second, because basketball is a team game. In the ND game it was proven that one player can not win the game for you against a good team. UConn did it with balance. With Stewie and KML slowed down plays ran through Nurse and Tuck. UConn made the necessary adjustments. Stewie and KML still had very good games with great stats. They didn't dominate the game but they didn't have to because the team worked as a unit and won the game.

There are a lot of good teams in WCBB this season, but there is a very big difference between every other team and UConn. There is parity and they there is UConn. Being UConn good is going to take a lot more then having a great player or a couple of great players. Geno didn't get UConn here over nite. It took years. Fans say well Geno gets all the top players. Why is that? Because he wins NCs and UConn is the best team in WCBB. Geno is also a great motivator, coach, teacher of the game. Kids want to be part of UConn because it is special. Other teams can lose but when UConn loses it makes headlines why because UConn isn't suppose to lose. With that said when SC comes to town and Im sure there will be a lot of SC fans coming to CT for the game get ready because you will see what Im talking about...which is UConn good.

Reaction Score
Part of the reason for Nurse in the starting lineup, was Stanford guards kept scoring on layups, which is why they scored so many points. The thing about Kia is yes, as with anyone she gets beat sometimes, but not often, and doesn't go, and commit a stupid foul when she does get beat. The other thing is when you do score, she is pushing the ball the other way as soon as it comes out of the basket.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wonder if you will be posting here after the February Game! Its not going to be pretty for SC.

Hey, I continued to post here after Baylor suffered the biggest upset in WCBB history, and there was a lot of celebrating going on. It hurt, but I survived.

Reaction Score
Hey, I continued to post here after Baylor suffered the biggest upset in WCBB history, and there was a lot of celebrating going on. It hurt, but I survived.

I was responding to the SC Fan not you.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ya, for all of those reasons, I'd put SC near #4, and definitely below ND and UCONN. Probably lower than TAMU as well.
Maybe we need to reevaluate that after ND's squeaker over Depaul (myself included! I thought they were easily the 2nd best team with a decent size gap between #2 and #3...)

Reaction Score
Can a South Carolina fan explain this picture that has been posted on Twitter

B4SIL8gIIAADQEI.jpg

GENO has coached at the highest level (UConn ..28 years, and the Olympics x 2). So I think he knows how to see games thru experienced eyes. Please!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
At some point Geno will retire and I believe UConn learned from Tenn that they need to have a plan in place for when that happens and they will. As far as comparing teams. To many fans think about offense and height. The game comes down to the team working as a unit and team defense. UConn has continually won because they play Team Defense. Everybody is plugged in and on the same page. That is part of the reason why when last season Geno had Tuck and KML out of the lineup they beat Stanford, Duke, MD, Ohio St and Penn St. It was defense for the most part. I see teams pre season ranked in the top 5 which are no longer there. They were ranked there why? They are no longer there because of lack of defense. Those teams ranked high had height but still lost. Why Defense. Geno has implemented a strong defense. You don't play unless you can play defense. Its defense first. Geno has some height and quickness too but its all about defense. You cant win big games consistently without defense. That's why UConn has won so many NCs and big games.

This season once again it is UConn and everybody else because they play Team Defense. Because the play as a team and team comes first, I don't believe UConn will lose another game this season (barring injuries). UConn will get better as will every other team but UConn as a team will get better as a team because they play as an unselfish team...team first individual second, because basketball is a team game. In the ND game it was proven that one player can not win the game for you against a good team. UConn did it with balance. With Stewie and KML slowed down plays ran through Nurse and Tuck. UConn made the necessary adjustments. Stewie and KML still had very good games with great stats. They didn't dominate the game but they didn't have to because the team worked as a unit and won the game.

There are a lot of good teams in WCBB this season, but there is a very big difference between every other team and UConn. There is parity and they there is UConn. Being UConn good is going to take a lot more then having a great player or a couple of great players. Geno didn't get UConn here over nite. It took years. Fans say well Geno gets all the top players. Why is that? Because he wins NCs and UConn is the best team in WCBB. Geno is also a great motivator, coach, teacher of the game. Kids want to be part of UConn because it is special. Other teams can lose but when UConn loses it makes headlines why because UConn isn't suppose to lose. With that said when SC comes to town and Im sure there will be a lot of SC fans coming to CT for the game get ready because you will see what Im talking about...which is UConn good.
Well Tony C- I think UConn has not only turned the corner, but has shown they may well be - Them and everyone else. ND does not match up with them at all. And we had 24 turnovers, and at least 90 % were unforced! And we couldn't hit foul shots at all. And we still blew them out. Duke & So Car didn't look dangerous at all. Stanford looks like the team that at least has the guards, 3 pt shooting & height with athleticism to compete- of the teams I've seen. Tony kills it again!

Reaction Score
It will happen; maybe not this year, but certainly in the near future. It may take a couple of years, but at some point, being in an also ran conference is going to start costing you recruits; especially after Geno retires. As for this season, we will play on the court once, maybe twice. May the best team win.
Are we talking about an also ran conference in basketball or in all athletics? Just asking because for a very long time I felt that the Southeast Conference as a woman's basketball conference was Tennessee and everyone else. Georgia was okay with Andy Landers but who else. Meanwhile the Big East had evolved into a conference that set a record for the most tournament teams and with Notre Dame and Rutgers and Villanova and St. Johns had some pretty good teams that mopped up the floor with Southeast Conference opponents. I'm inclined to think that this new conference we are in will get pretty darn good as well. I know that recently South Carolina and Kentucky have become quite good but what's to say that will continue to be the case. There was a time when Ohio State and USC and Penn State and Oklahoma were really up there but it seems that they've become second tier programs as of late. The only programs I've seen be consistently good over the last fifteen or twenty years has been UConn and Tennessee with maybe Notre Dame kinda hanging in there. I'd worry about South Carolina a lot more than I'd worry about UConn. By the way, there's nothing to say that UConn won't find another major conference in the next few years because we've got a national reputation as being the basketball capital of the world and it's out there frequently on ESPN and other sports media sites. Newbies like you have come and gone over time but up to this point, no signs of us going anywhere. Our success in soccer and field hockey and basketball with NCAA titles seem to suggest that a prominent conference would be well served to consider us as a valuable asset. Outside of Steve Spurriers football team, what has South Carolina done up to now on a national stage???? You had a highly ranked team last year in women's basketball but had a very early exit. You've got to go quite a ways more before you're considered seriously.

Reaction Score

I just want to say that UConn has shown over the years that they typically play extraordinary team defense and that is a catalyst like you've said for great success. I do think that in this years Stanford game, UConn played very poorly defensively or at least there was a couple serious chinks in the armor because Stanford made some very, very easy baskets, particularly late, that contributed to UConn's loss. It was quite sad for me to watch but I'm optimistic that those errors were resolved and that we'll be seeing what has over the years been considered typical UConn team defense.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
By the way, there's nothing to say that UConn won't find another major conference in the next few years because we've got a national reputation as being the basketball capital of the world and it's out there frequently on ESPN and other sports media sites. Newbies like you have come and gone over time but up to this point, no signs of us going anywhere. Our success in soccer and field hockey and basketball with NCAA titles seem to suggest that a prominent conference would be well served to consider us as a valuable asset. Outside of Steve Spurriers football team, what has South Carolina done up to now on a national stage???? You had a highly ranked team last year in women's basketball but had a very early exit. You've got to go quite a ways more before you're considered seriously.

South Carolina has an excellent baseball team, one of the premier programs in the country in my opinion. They won the College world series in 2010 and 2011.. and finished as runners-up in 2012. In my opinion that is much more valuable to a conference than soccer or field hockey success. But outside of baseball...... yeah... they havent done much at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom