So for now, can we maybe put to bed the "SC would really challenge UCONN" discussions? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So for now, can we maybe put to bed the "SC would really challenge UCONN" discussions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seeing it and playing it at the highest level does not necessarily equate to coaching it a higher level than all time great coaches. Dawn is probably a top coach.

I would go a step further and say (despite all the kudos and self-congratulation), that we have absolutely no evidence that Dawn is a great coach, or even a very good one.

She's got some very fine athletes down there, but a case can be made for her mis-positioning and placating Asia despite the young woman's predilections.

The next couple of seasons will indicate whether she can get all the talent she's recruited into a consistent final-4 threat.
If I was to speculate, I would doubt it.

And for Buzzy: I find myself in complete agreement with Tony; Next year's class is made up of 4 monster interior players; 3 of whom have played together regularly. Not one group of recruits can match that experience Put that together with our current roster and one should continue to see winning, final-four teams out into the foreseeable future.

Tony is being conservative.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would go a step further and say (despite all the kudos and self-congratulation), that we have absolutely no evidence that Dawn is a great coach, or even a very good one.

She's got some very fine athletes down there, but a case can be made for her mis-positioning and placating Asia despite the young woman's predilections.

The next couple of seasons will indicate whether she can get all the talent she's recruited into a consistent final-4 threat.
If I was to speculate, I would doubt it.

And for Buzzy: I find myself in complete agreement with Tony; Next year's class is made up of 4 monster interior players; 3 of whom have played together regularly. Not one group of recruits can match that experience Put that together with our current roster and one should continue to see winning, final-four teams out into the foreseeable future.

Tony is being conservative.

KLS and Collier are listed as wings. Are you thinking that they will be interior players at UCONN?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Are we talking about an also ran conference in basketball or in all athletics? Just asking because for a very long time I felt that the Southeast Conference as a woman's basketball conference was Tennessee and everyone else. Georgia was okay with Andy Landers but who else. Meanwhile the Big East had evolved into a conference that set a record for the most tournament teams and with Notre Dame and Rutgers and Villanova and St. Johns had some pretty good teams that mopped up the floor with Southeast Conference opponents. I'm inclined to think that this new conference we are in will get pretty darn good as well. I know that recently South Carolina and Kentucky have become quite good but what's to say that will continue to be the case. There was a time when Ohio State and USC and Penn State and Oklahoma were really up there but it seems that they've become second tier programs as of late. The only programs I've seen be consistently good over the last fifteen or twenty years has been UConn and Tennessee with maybe Notre Dame kinda hanging in there. I'd worry about South Carolina a lot more than I'd worry about UConn. By the way, there's nothing to say that UConn won't find another major conference in the next few years because we've got a national reputation as being the basketball capital of the world and it's out there frequently on ESPN and other sports media sites. Newbies like you have come and gone over time but up to this point, no signs of us going anywhere. Our success in soccer and field hockey and basketball with NCAA titles seem to suggest that a prominent conference would be well served to consider us as a valuable asset. Outside of Steve Spurriers football team, what has South Carolina done up to now on a national stage???? You had a highly ranked team last year in women's basketball but had a very early exit. You've got to go quite a ways more before you're considered seriously.
I wasn't referring to the Big East, which was a great basketball conference and an adequate football conference, I was referring to the AAC. You're really the only big state flagship university in the conference and the rest of the members are mostly directional schools like East Carolina, Central Florida, etc. As for us, we've won 2 national championships in baseball since 2010 and have numerous College World Series visits in our history. Really, the only sport we haven't had any success in in recent years is our men's basketball team, which is unfortunate since it's my favorite sport. The biggest thing your AD should be worried about is money, which will not be plentiful in the AAC. You guys are a better fit for the ACC or the Big Ten since the Big East broke up. Another alternative would be for football to move back to FCS.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Awwww, there there, ETT. :(

With Jones, Brown and Mompremier I'm hoping we'll be a Rolex again next year. Barring injury, I think Baylor will be playing in the final weekend of the WCBB season.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I just want to say that UConn has shown over the years that they typically play extraordinary team defense and that is a catalyst like you've said for great success. I do think that in this years Stanford game, UConn played very poorly defensively or at least there was a couple serious chinks in the armor because Stanford made some very, very easy baskets, particularly late, that contributed to UConn's loss. It was quite sad for me to watch but I'm optimistic that those errors were resolved and that we'll be seeing what has over the years been considered typical UConn team defense.
To that point- I think being a great defensive team going forward, statistically will be relative to years past--- because of the new officiating which makes it almost impossible to prevent guard penetration with these touch fouls. We already look a lot different defensively vs Stanford game. We don't look like the same team. We should be thankful we didn't eek out a win in that game. Best thing that could have happened for this particular team early. We are beginning to look like a juggernaut. Like we have become accustomed to.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The new rules have made it nearly impossible to stop a guard/wing that can drive to the basket. Mulkey moved Nina Davis away from the basket and she is making a killing this year with drives to the hoop, often finishing with an and1.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
The new rules have made it nearly impossible to stop a guard/wing that can drive to the basket. Mulkey moved Nina Davis away from the basket and she is making a killing this year with drives to the hoop, often finishing with an and1.
These new rules are well intentioned but executed poorly. I love watching great defense as much as offense.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
These new rules are well intentioned but executed poorly. I love watching great defense as much as offense.

I agree. For Baylor, I think Ieshia Small will get a lot of time this year because she has extremely quick feet and can stay in front of her defender. She has improved in leaps and bounds and her assist/TO ratio is MUCH better, so we can afford to have her on the floor for her defense.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
KLS and Collier are listed as wings. Are you thinking that they will be interior players at UCONN?

List, shmist

They're clearly not guards

which makes them forwards (in the old nomenclature) front court…therefore interior types
Collier is an old fashioned Dave Debusschere clone power forward…Sure she's subtle too.
KLS more of a pure wing (woman's) three…
but don't you think that Geno will put some muscle on her and insist (with her height) that she learn to do some banging?
And lets not forget our new 6'5" + center.
No, we're stuffed interior wise.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
List, shmist

They're clearly not guards

which makes them forwards (in the old nomenclature) front court…therefore interior types
Collier is an old fashioned Dave Debusschere clone power forward…Sure she's subtle too.
KLS more of a pure wing (woman's) three…
but don't you think that Geno will put some muscle on her and insist (with her height) that she learn to do some banging?
And lets not forget our new 6'5" + center.
No, we're stuffed interior wise.

If she can put on weight, which some players have trouble doing. I cannot say that Stewart is really any more bulked up than her freshman year, but mayb she is and I just haven't seen the increase. I can't say that Stewart is a banger inside and KLS looks to be even more wirey than Stewart.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If she can put on weight, which some players have trouble doing. I cannot say that Stewart is really any more bulked up than her freshman year, but mayb she is and I just haven't seen the increase. I can't say that Stewart is a banger inside and KLS looks to be even more wirey than Stewart.
Stewie will probably never be bulky but she is definitely stronger than she was freshman year. Her muscles are much more noticeable and she doesn't get pushed around as much under the basket. I don't know that KLS will be inside quite as much as Stewart but from what I've seen in her high school clips she certainly doesn't shy away from contact.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It may not be apparent by looking at her, but she plays much tougher in the paint now than she did as a freshman. Haven't you observed her getting contested rebounds? Did you ever see that in her freshman year?

I agree that she is never going to be someone who could prosper trying to play in the paint for 30-35 minutes, but that would be a foolish way for any coach to use her talents. She is good enough in the paint that defenses have to be concerned about her cutting or driving to the basket, or (in select instances) posting up. But her offensive game spans the entire court, and that is how Geno is using her (as would any sensible coach).

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I agree. For Baylor, I think Ieshia Small will get a lot of time this year because she has extremely quick feet and can stay in front of her defender. She has improved in leaps and bounds and her assist/TO ratio is MUCH better, so we can afford to have her on the floor for her defense.
You know, I think Kim Mulkey is one of the top tier of coaches. I wasn't totally convinced during the Griner years. But last year, they had N Dame on the ropes away before the officials stole the game. And I love her intensity and dramatics. And I think she is a looker! Can I say that? :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
You know, I think Kim Mulkey is one of the top tier of coaches. I wasn't totally convinced during the Griner years. But last year, they had N Dame on the ropes away before the officials stole the game. And I love her intensity and dramatics. And I think she is a looker! Can I say that? :)
I think Mulkey is in the top tier of coaches, but how she only won one NC and got to two FFs with Griner (and Sims for three of those years) is beyond me.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I think Mulkey is in the top tier of coaches, but how she only won one NC and got to two FFs with Griner (and Sims for three of those years) is beyond me.
That is the part that scares me- they should have one at least the last 3 Griner years.
I know I'm speaking out of both sides of my mouth! She did a great job post Griner IMO!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
With Jones, Brown and Mompremier I'm hoping we'll be a Rolex again next year. Barring injury, I think Baylor will be playing in the final weekend of the WCBB season.

As much as it pains me to say (type), I agree :oops:

Reaction Score
Stewie will probably never be bulky but she is definitely stronger than she was freshman year. Her muscles are much more noticeable and she doesn't get pushed around as much under the basket. I don't know that KLS will be inside quite as much as Stewart but from what I've seen in her high school clips she certainly doesn't shy away from contact.
Can a South Carolina fan explain this picture that has been posted on Twitter

B4SIL8gIIAADQEI.jpg

You see dead people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members