So are we on schedule? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So are we on schedule?

Reaction Score
I don’t believe this for a second. Zergiotis is where you’d think he’d be - shaky after showing gifted talent early on. Defenses have overwhelmed him & he’s rattled. If he’s a value, he will come back in 2020 strong. Krajewski showed great potential. Injuries happen. And Senecal ... I’ve watched his film recently is truly talented. Beaudry is a miss. Big kid that is just utilitarian.

you think this is better with a Bryant Shireffs that we got lucky on & flotsam?

Pindell, I’ll remind you, looked extraordinarily unproductive early in his first games.
Randy's track record on QBs speaks for itself.

Z looks great when he gets a clean pocket, time to throw, and open WRs. If you blitz him, he looks down at rushers and is a complete mess after.

Shireffs was a very productive college QB.

Every highlight tape is impressive. I like Senecal's as well, but it means nothing.

Reaction Score
UConn football “talent” trends by units
DL- trending up... but unfortunately not one young DL has shown flashes of anything +. Sorry, T Jones and others are well short of two deep material on most FBS rosters. Watts has the speed and size- need strength.. Kevon is a nice player. I think Harris should go back to LB.
LB - flat lining. Morgan is a good transfer. Mitchell has the speed- so something is there with him.... rest of the unit is not good enough
CB - small upward trend.... I like Paul who looks like a player at times. This unit is still far from being at least FBS average. I wish they will stop exposing Bell and let that kid develop on the practice field.
S - flat lining - JuCo Harrell was an upgrade over the current roster and his absence the last few games is noticeable. Coyle is an enigma - can’t tell what his talent level is with the mess around him. The rest aren’t nearly good enough.
OL - flat lining - the same C- unit that has been here for a while now. No one is improved at all. I think we are particularly bad up the center and easy to overwhelm.
WR- upward trend... Ross, Drayton, etc etc etc seem decent and nearing the FBS average squad
RB - flat lining - not one person can explain the over commitment to mensah by Edsall. Mensah by all accounts is a great kid and deserves a lot of touches - but there are other RBs and they need more than the last 2 mins of a blowout.
TE- flatlining or even down. No depth here... Edsall has not gotten the job done when you are in year three with a roster with one RS J TE, one senior TE conversion project and a undersized true Freshman.
QB - flat - As discussed above Edsall 1.0 only developed one HS QB to true success. Seems that is repeating itself. Randy should look in the mirror and rethink what his process is to identify and develop HS QBs.
Kickers - flat or down- my god why has the quest for kickers been such a challenge?

If this "trend" is based on current talent vs Diaco talent then calling the QB "trend" flat is ridiculous.

For all his pluses & minuses Shirreffs would be so much better than anyone currently on this roster. Based on that alone the QB "trend" is significantly down

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If this "trend" is based on current talent vs Diaco talent then calling the QB "trend" flat is ridiculous.

For all his pluses & minuses Shirreffs would be so much better than anyone currently on this roster. Based on that alone the QB "trend" is significantly down

I guess I am not being fair to Shirreffs or Pindell's 2018 campaign because you are right, the near term is downward rather than merely flat (2019 has been particularly awful at QB). When I thought about the QB position I was thinking more over the long run in the collective of Pindell/Sherriffs/2019 collective vs the collective of the PP and Diaco era and to me over those two spans we are basically flat which means QB play that is effectively hovering around the bottom 10-20% of FBS.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Every highlight tape is impressive. I like Senecal's as well, but it means nothing.

At this point - you have to heed both of your comments.

Reaction Score
I guess I am not being fair to Shirreffs or Pindell's 2018 campaign because you are right, the near term is downward rather than merely flat (2019 has been particularly awful at QB). When I though about the QB position I was thinking more over the long run in the collective of Pindell/Sherriffs/2019 collective vs the collective of the PP and Diaco era and to me over those two spans we are basically flat which means QB play that is effectively hovering around the bottom 10-20% of FBS.

I'm just saying this because so many here are claiming that RE has significantly increased the talent level over his predecessor.

That is not an accurate statement at all.

It is impossible to win at ANY level without competent QB play. The fact that RE continues to whiff at this position is a clear indication of his recruiting failures.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm just saying this because so many here are claiming that RE has significantly increased the talent level over his predecessor.

That is not an accurate statement at all.

It is impossible to win at ANY level without competent QB play. The fact that RE continues to whiff at this position is a clear indication of his recruiting failures.

I dont want to get into naming names, but Diaco had perhaps 10-15 dudes on scholarship at some point that had absolutely no business at FBS even as WOs. I think is fair to say Edsall has had some similar misses, but not as many as Diaco. Overall - Edsall's talent upgrade vs Diaco has been modest and not enough to make a meaningful difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I dont want to get into naming names, but Diaco had perhaps 10-15 dudes on scholarship at some point that had absolutely no business at FBS even as WOs. I think is fair to say Edsall has had some similar misses, but not as many as Diaco. Overall - Edsall's talent upgrade vs Diaco has been modest and not enough to make a meaningful difference.

Agreed, but without a legit QB none of that matters.

I just saw in another thread that he claims that Leon would've been the starter if healthy.

He continues to kick the can down the road while Benedict looks the other way. It's as if the 5 year plan reboots every fall and he gets to cash $1MM checks. That's a VERY impressive retirement plan he's got

Reaction Score

Z looks great when he gets a clean pocket, time to throw, and open WRs. If you blitz him, he looks down at rushers and is a complete mess after.

Shireffs was a very productive college QB.

Shireffs - imho - was a fluke. The Diaco regime had no clue what to expect from him. And their other QB recruiting was poor. Krajewski + Zergiotis + Senecal is a good baseline. What does Moyseenko bring. I’m feeling hopeful ... but poorly prepared for that next step.

Edsall 1.0 has one moment & I liked Tyler + Zach. And a whole lot of misses. Can you compare & contrast Dennis Brown’s one solid game to Zergiotis? Maybe.

The AAC is dominating our guys. The development of about 6/7 programs have been dramatic. And there has not been any room for poor offensive line protection or missed assignments/penalties or indecisive QB play. To my eye, I’m not ready to throw Zergiotis out ... and I’m anxious to see what’s next for Krajewski.

Reaction Score
Shireffs - imho - was a fluke. The Diaco regime had no clue what to expect from him. And their other QB recruiting was poor. Krajewski + Zergiotis + Senecal is a good baseline. What does Moyseenko bring. I’m feeling hopeful ... but poorly prepared for that next step.

Edsall 1.0 has one moment & I liked Tyler + Zach. And a whole lot of misses. Can you compare & contrast Dennis Brown’s one solid game to Zergiotis? Maybe.

The AAC is dominating our guys. The development of about 6/7 programs have been dramatic. And there has not been any room for poor offensive line protection or missed assignments/penalties or indecisive QB play. To my eye, I’m not ready to throw Zergiotis out ... and I’m anxious to see what’s next for Krajewski.
Not throwing him out, but there is a serious problem when your QB is overthrowing an open WR by 5 to 10yds. I'm seeing a similar arc to Boyle. Arm talent? Check. Afraid to make mistake? Check.

The funny thing is, of all the FBS coaches we had, P probably had the best eye for QB talent.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not throwing him out, but there is a serious problem when your QB is overthrowing an open WR by 5 to 10yds. I'm seeing a similar arc to Boyle. Arm talent? Check. Afraid to make mistake? Check.

Edsall's mental approach to football has always centered on playing mistake free and do your assignments....which is a foundation for tight/defensive/controlled players rather than fast/aggressive/loose players. The kids need to hear what they are doing right, not just what they are doing wrong.

Reaction Score
Edsall's mental approach to football has always centered on playing mistake free and do your assignments....which is a foundation for tight/defensive/controlled players rather than fast/aggressive/loose players. The kids need to hear what they are doing right, not just what they are doing wrong.
Some kids like Lorenzen and Frazer could play like that. Some kids become terrified to make mistakes and also don't make plays that are there to be made.

Reaction Score
Shireffs - imho - was a fluke. The Diaco regime had no clue what to expect from him.
Revisionist history from a former Diaco cheerleader. He was a transfer from NC State and he was filling a big void. Diaco was a buffoon but he actually went out and found a kid from a P5 school (even though he was a backup) to transfer to Uconn. I would say that getting BS to Uconn was the only thing that Diaco did right while he was here.

Shireffs was a warrior and took way more shots because of the ineptitude of the coaching coaching and scheme and more so because Diaco did not recruit a single D1 quality O-lineman.

Reaction Score
Revisionist history from a former Diaco cheerleader. He was a transfer from NC State and he was filling a big void. Diaco was a buffoon but he actually went out and found a kid from a P5 school (even though he was a backup) to transfer to Uconn. I would say that getting BS to Uconn was the only thing that Diaco did right while he was here.

Shireffs was a warrior and took way more shots because of the ineptitude of the coaching coaching and scheme and more so because Diaco did not recruit a single D1 quality O-lineman.
crozier, peart

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
While i don't think anything "dooms a program forever", i also think giving him another year is practical. The roster is starting to resemble an FBS squad. They were very bad in this regard when Edsall got here. The biggest issue i have he hasn't come close to identifying an answer at QB, and he struggled with this his 1st time around as well.

Forever was a hyperbolic reponse to the chicken littles. It would however damage the programs reputation long term if we cut ties with Randy. The only coach to ever have success here couldn't even do it without P5 access would make future hires a complete crapshoot. We'd have to get lucky and find the one guy who can take Randy's recruits and win where Randy could not.

They also would need to have that next guy be able to recruit people here better than Randy. Something else no one has done.

I get it, winning 3 games in three years is terrible by any measure would winning 4 games this year, the top end on most predictions, really mean all that much in the long run?

The plan is to get back to bowl eligibility and win games agaisnt P5 teams. We had Illinois and Houston within reach, if a few more of Diaco's upperclassmen stuck around to produce, there's your 2 wins.

As for the blow outs, with the exception of Tulane, they (Navy, Indiana, and Cincy) are all currently ranked.

I think we are better, maybe not as much as we'd hoped. If we are sitting at 2 wins at this time next year, he can be fired without any reasonable complaint. Of the 9 games currently on the schedule, 4 are very winnable.

Reaction Score
Here’s the guy Chief wanted instead of Randy. He also has a multi year rebuilding job but Moorhead won some games in the SEC. When he speaks, Joe mentions specific stuff - he speaks with passion, sounds like he actually has a plan and you sense light at the end of the tunnel to being competitive.

Well maybe Chief should've hired him instead of Randy. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score

wtf.

love you guys taking shots ... like you had some prescient notion to not give Bobby Cranberry pants the job or the big extensions after a kinda bowl experience

It should be clear: Edsall can evaluate & fill/manage a roster better than either Diaco or PP. Huge issues cropped up when he toys with the Crocker D & his own unique grind of O in a conference that has jet fuel in most every Program versus our fumes; and playing FR/Soph versus experienced deep rosters.

I still think UCONN has good FB teams coming. But this is tough fandom.

Reaction Score
Well maybe Chief should've hired him instead of Randy. Just sayin'.

Chief is amazing

Firstly, Moorhead in the winter of 2009/2010 was somewhat premature. And after good success at Fordham, Manuel never sniffed. Narduzzi or Diaco. My view will be we need Head Coach experiences with Northeast recruiting ... Moorhead (2014 or 2017 NOT 2009).

Reaction Score

love you guys taking shots ... like you had some prescient notion to not give Bobby Cranberry pants the job or the big extensions after a kinda bowl experience

It should be clear: Edsall can evaluate & fill/manage a roster better than either Diaco or PP. Huge issues cropped up when he toys with the Crocker D & his own unique grind of O in a conference that has jet fuel in most every Program versus our fumes; and playing FR/Soph versus experienced deep rosters.

I still think UCONN has good FB teams coming. But this is tough fandom.
Unfortunately, the posts from the time he was hired are gone. I was not a fan and said so the day it was announced. I had heard he was "weird" from a highly placed source at another school he interviewed at and that did not offer him the job the year before he came to Uconn. If those post are around, show me where and I will link my posts.

the question on RE being able to evaluate talent is legit. This is a much harder sell today, even before independence was announced. He has upgraded most positions, some he has not and the lack of depth is really concerning. I think independence makes the recruiting job exponentially harder. No way he gets a top in-state recruit to come to play for Uconn the way he did the first time around. He could sell a Tangible promise last time. Now he he is selling smoke with no conference, no bowl tie ins and no TV deal.

My worthless opinion, the team is better than last year but at least 1 season behind schedule. I can see things that I did not see last year with flashes on both sides of the ball. Team appears to lack internal leadership and accountability to me and I think RE has tried to make it happen but its not working. The depth is still way below where it needs to be. And the move to independence (save me the lecture about why it had to happen, it is not good for FB in my opinion) will continue to be a drag on the improvement.

Reaction Score
We are so ahead of schedule I can’t even find an article about the game Saturday on the New Haven Register website. I guess they are tired of covering blow outs and now that basketball has started no more football.

Reaction Score
We are so ahead of schedule I can’t even find an article about the game Saturday on the New Haven Register website. I guess they are tired of covering blow outs and now that basketball has started no more football.
None of the CT print media outlets sent a reporter to Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
If Randy returns, the OC must change. We need to overhaul everything on offense to bring it into this century.

Reaction Score
If Randy returns, the OC must change. We need to overhaul everything on offense to bring it into this century.

IMHO this is more about execution than the offense. Play calling isn't always great, but let's just look at the facts.

If our QBs hit guys that are wide open even 50% of the time - what is our record? How many more first downs? Possession time? Keeping our bad but improving D off the field?

We do have the 21st ranked rusher in the country. And even though Pindell was ranked higher last year, he was also running for his life a good portion of the time. Mensah is going to be 1000+ yard rusher for the 2nd year in a row.

Our biggest problem this year is that Pindell is gone and we didn't adequately replace him. That's on RE for not getting the right guys - but I'm not sure I'm going to blame the OC.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with the playcalling. When your QB is missing WRs by 5 to 10 yds, i don't care who is calling the plays. Against Illinois Z played with confidence. He is a shell of that kid at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom