So are we on schedule? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So are we on schedule?

Reaction Score
Here’s the guy Chief wanted instead of Randy. He also has a multi year rebuilding job but Moorhead won some games in the SEC. When he speaks, Joe mentions specific stuff - he speaks with passion, sounds like he actually has a plan and you sense light at the end of the tunnel to being competitive.
He publicly stated he didn't want the job.

Reaction Score
And everyone else is getting better. A rebuilding ECU team with a first-year coach took the No. 25 team in the nation to the brink while on the road.

ECU's offense is explosive. They found a really good QB and a lot of creativity on offense. Not much on D but their offense has really come alive. Had Cincinnati on the ropes last week also.

Reaction Score
Nope, no measurable progress. But he gets 2 more years. If UConn is still at one or two wins, then who knows what will happen.

Reaction Score
Whose schedule? The fans' schedule? The AD's schedule? How about Randy's schedule?

I think we are probably on Coach's schedule, maybe minus the unexpected injury to Steve Krajewski and the self-inflicted detours to Mike Beaudry and Jack Zergiotis. I am of the belief that the Krajewski injury ultimately will cost UConn wins #3 and possibly #4. That would represent a nice improvement from a 1 win season.

It is a little hard to project wins and losses for 2020 and 2021 yet with a schedule in flux. However, I previously though Randy was looking at 5 wins in year 4 and a bowl game in year 5. I believe he still thinks he is on schedule to go to a bowl by 2021. Is that good enough for the AD and the new President? That's all that matters.

Reaction Score
Whose schedule? The fans' schedule? The AD's schedule? How about Randy's schedule?

I think we are probably on Coach's schedule, maybe minus the unexpected injury to Steve Krajewski and the self-inflicted detours to Mike Beaudry and Jack Zergiotis. I am of the belief that the Krajewski injury ultimately will cost UConn wins #3 and possibly #4. That would represent a nice improvement from a 1 win season.

It is a little hard to project wins and losses for 2020 and 2021 yet with a schedule in flux. However, I previously though Randy was looking at 5 wins in year 4 and a bowl game in year 5. I believe he still thinks he is on schedule to go to a bowl by 2021. Is that good enough for the AD and the new President? That's all that matters.
This is a 5 year plan, that resets itself every year. Like a renewable contract.

Reaction Score
I am not sure there is a multi-year plan in place. Dave Benedict may believe in just keeping things going until he gets another job. Then it is someone else's problem.

Reaction Score
Don’t bother chief with facts.
Had to dislike his post. Both Moorehead and Orlando said they were not interested. Either could have had the job if they wanted it.

Reaction Score
Randy doesn’t seem to get coaching in this era. Very few good teams even try to build with fourth and fifth year players. The transfer portal has changed all that. Good players are transferring all the time. JUCOs are available. 4 to 5 year development programs are a thing of the past. I don’t think Randy has it figured out.

Reaction Score

So you are saying that a 60 plus year old coach, who was a college QB, and has 20 plus years of head coaching experience at the college level picked the wrong 2 QB's to start games (one being a true freshman with Canadian football background) before finally going to the kid who if not hurt would have won twice as many games as the team actually will?
If I'm reading your comment correctly, I'm assuming you have been in constant contact with the AD and the new president to get such a fool fired.

Reaction Score
Randy doesn’t seem to get coaching in this era. Very few good teams even try to build with fourth and fifth year players. The transfer portal has changed all that. Good players are transferring all the time. JUCOs are available. 4 to 5 year development programs are a thing of the past. I don’t think Randy has it figured out.
I think that is just a bit harsh. I think he would love to go after some of those players in the portal, but what player in his right mind would come to a bottom dwelling G5/Indy team that seems to be in a death spiral? They are simply not gonna come here unless they are really FCS quality hoping to get to the FBS level. That was never more apparent than when MB threw his first two passes against Wagner.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
How do u possibly sell season tickets next season?

Given the quality of the team and the rate at which tickets were discounted in season, I suspect they’re going to lose a lot of season ticket holders this offseason.

If Edsall gets canned (he won’t) they may sell some tickets depending on how much excitement there is around the new hire.

Reaction Score
We were right there vs Houston and Illinois with enough talent to win but lacked the mental capacity and confidence to finish off a close game.

I guess we should just blindly stick with the 5year plan.

Clearly we don’t suck even though we struggled to beat a team with less than 65 scholarships and lost to Sacred Heart by half a hundred.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Schedule? Depends how good the redshirting LB's, DL, and OL are next season. If they can play at all, we should be better. RE is attacking the QB position using a volume strategy, which for a program at our level is the right call. You are hoping one of them can make the jump to FBS.

The real problem remains in the trenches. No push on either line and really slow LB's, though I like what the younger LB's are showing a little bit.

Next year will be the final exam on whether RE2.0 should continue.

C

Chief00

Would have been a good choice but it was too bad he wanted absolutely nothing to do w/ the job @ the time. Name was floated to media and subsequently swatted down by JM.
Money could have talked - but our low budget football approach again cost us money in the long run. Floating a name to the media isn’t the way to hire a coach, if that’s what happened. No doubt Joe ended up in a better place.

Reaction Score
We have won 3 fbs games in 3 years. If Edsall is allowed to return as head coach then this program is even more clueless than I thought.

No one in their right mind could possibly think he should be back for a 4th year. 3 wins v. FBD schools in 3 years.

Reaction Score
Who can possibly stomach a 5 year plans to get to .500? There is so much evidence to support that you do not need half a decade to produce a solid season, but yet there is excuse after excuse each week why what RE has the program where it is - at some point the arrow has to point back to RE.

RE has not gotten the job done unless there is some wacky criteria that the admin and fans are using to judge him.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but the guy is what his record says he is - an unsuccessful coach, how he gets the benefit of so much loyalty is something I'll never understand.

Ollie won a national title and the admin used whatever means possible to get him out the door when his performance dipped and it was NEVER as bad as RE's "performance".

If the team is going to get crushed each week I'd rather it get crushed with a more progressive head man in charge who seems to have some sense of modern concepts and schemes it would at least be more enjoyable to watch.

REstorred, ha, more like REgressing

Reaction Score
If A.D. Dave had a spine, he'd hire Dann O. as Offensive Coordinator-Quarterback Coach & tell HCRE hands off on Dan's decision making. Dan was the only UConn qb in recent memory who had the moxie to call audibles on the field & take Randy's verbal abuse when he came off of the field. AND, his plays usually worked!
What's to say Dan O would be a good offense coordinator? Because he changed the play a few times while he was at UCONN? That's a lot different than calling and designing every play for the offense

Reaction Score
If I'm reading your comment correctly, I'm assuming you have been in constant contact with the AD and the new president to get such a fool fired.

You are not reading it correctly. Beyond misreading my post, I would never presume to tell the AD of a college I never attended -- and one which I do not pay taxes towards to support --, what to do. I merely observe, sometimes comment, and hope that one of my two "hometown" FBS teams (the other being Army) begins winning more games. For the record, I've never expressed an opinion as to whether or not Randy should be terminated.

Reaction Score
Given the quality of the team and the rate at which tickets were discounted in season, I suspect they’re going to lose a lot of season ticket holders this offseason.

If Edsall gets canned (he won’t) they may sell some tickets depending on how much excitement there is around the new hire.

Not going to need some company to organize parking if there are only a couple hundred cars. They shouldnt even charge people to park at the game at this point.

C

Chief00

Had to dislike his post. Both Moorehead and Orlando said they were not interested. Either could have had the job if they wanted it.
I can tell you that’s not exactly what happened. The money available limited who would be interested. True, there are other major factors but the money this time was a non starter.

Reaction Score
I can tell you that’s not exactly what happened. The money available limited who would be interested. True, there are other major factors but the money this time was a non starter.
Okay, tell is where the money was expected to come from after the Diaco buyout.

Reaction Score
Who can possibly stomach a 5 year plans to get to .500? There is so much evidence to support that you do not need half a decade to produce a solid season, but yet there is excuse after excuse each week why what RE has the program where it is - at some point the arrow has to point back to RE.

RE has not gotten the job done unless there is some wacky criteria that the admin and fans are using to judge him.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but the guy is what his record says he is - an unsuccessful coach, how he gets the benefit of so much loyalty is something I'll never understand.

Ollie won a national title and the admin used whatever means possible to get him out the door when his performance dipped and it was NEVER as bad as RE's "performance".

If the team is going to get crushed each week I'd rather it get crushed with a more progressive head man in charge who seems to have some sense of modern concepts and schemes it would at least be more enjoyable to watch.

REstorred, ha, more like REgressing

Ollie inherited the players that won the National Title. His coaching helped those players perform at a level that made the title possible but his recruiting put that team in a severe downward spiral. I still think there were other things going on beyond the NCAA violations that led to him being fired. Edsall inherited a team that had a bozo as the previous coach that left talent level in shambles. The talent level has improved under Edsall but they have all had to play young which is not helping the won loss record. If Edsall can not find a good QB he is toast. I doubt he is let go after this year. It will be interesting to see what happens with the OC position. Does Guifre stay as OC and we get a new Oline coach? I can't see how he does both jobs next year.

Reaction Score
What's to say Dan O would be a good offense coordinator? Because he changed the play a few times while he was at UCONN? That's a lot different than calling and designing every play for the offense
To start, he's proven to be one of the best analysts going. Have you not seen his work. He clearly understands what defenses are trying to do and how to attack them. He is able to explain that in a way that people can understand. Also he stuck in the NFL for 11 years because he had something to offer teams who knew he would not be starting. He was a big help in the film room. So, yes someone that knows the game and can articulate/teach concepts can coach. Not that he would want to at this point in his life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom