So are we on schedule? | The Boneyard

So are we on schedule?

Reaction Score
What exactly is the schedule? The QB position, a FB team's most important one, is in worse shape than when Randy got here. As this year closes out and we head into year 4, we don't even know if we have anyone that can really play the position. Z misses way too many open guys. His footwork is an awful mess. Beaudry i doubt will be here next year and Krajewski got hurt the 1st time he got extensive run.

I've been big on bringing Randy back for a 4th year, but you need a magnifying glass to see any sort of tangible progress. He has been worse than wacky Bob.

Reaction Score
If A.D. Dave had a spine, he'd hire Dann O. as Offensive Coordinator-Quarterback Coach & tell HCRE hands off on Dan's decision making. Dan was the only UConn qb in recent memory who had the moxie to call audibles on the field & take Randy's verbal abuse when he came off of the field. AND, his plays usually worked!

Reaction Score
If A.D. Dave had a spine, he'd hire Dann O. as Offensive Coordinator-Quarterback Coach & tell HCRE hands off on Dan's decision making. Dan was the only UConn qb in recent memory who had the moxie to call audibles on the field & take Randy's verbal abuse when he came off of the field. AND, his plays usually worked!

He has said publically he does not want to coach. He loves his job in broadcasting and is doing quite well. Likes being home with his family.

Reaction Score
We are behind schedule largely because of the QB position. RE needs to get a legit QB from somewhere in case Steven Krajewski transfers, gets hurt again or just isn't up to it. Jack Zergiotis needs to sit for the rest of this year and regroup. Give Beaudry another shot if Steven Krajewski doesn't get cleared to play. This has been a disappointing season but at least the team doesn't look as physically mismatched as last year. We just desperately need someone who can play QB.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't want to be in a position where we want to throw yet another UConn alum out the door if things go bad (a la KO). Let DanO keep his broadcasting gig.

We have 2 games left, will probably lose both of then decisively, so make the best of a horrible situation and play the guys that will likely be around next year. Just keep fighting to get better. The QB situation is completely up in the air. Maybe next year it's Steven Krajewski, maybe Jack Zergiotis improves his mechanics in the off-season, or maybe we bring in another JUCO.

I was glad when Randy came back, I've been rooting for him the past 3 years, but come December he's gotta go. In 3 seasons we have 6 wins, 3 against FCS schools. Still can't field a team that can just be competitive with most FBS schools. How long is what's left of the fanbase supposed to just keep tolerating this? This can't continue. More house-cleaning in the offseason is needed.

Reaction Score
Benedict's comments lead me to believe Randy is coming back. Part of his plan to transition this thing fully to independent status. The lack of activity on this board after a game tells you most who watch, have stopped caring. Hard to ccare when all signs point to the leadership structure being okay with these results.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We are behind schedule because of talent across the board and coaching. If we had some potential on the roster we would have won a game or two by accident that we shouldn’t have.
We were right there vs Houston and Illinois with enough talent to win but lacked the mental capacity and confidence to finish off a close game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The lack of activity on this board after a game tells you most who watch, have stopped caring. Hard to ccare when all signs point to the leadership structure being okay with these results.

The product on the field gives you virtually nothing to discuss.

I think a decision on 2020 depends on the season end interview. If Randy lacks urgency, energy, vision and anything less than full command and control of every facet of his program, then I think AD David Benedict will have to pull the plug on that fourth season. With these brutal losses piling up - I would be looking for signs that Randy knows he’s cooked and is he’s just faking it for the pay check. This has to be grinding hard on Randy at this point affecting his personal commitment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Before the Indiana game Edsall told the broadcast crew we were ahead of schedule. True.

The culture is really something now. Edsall almost has it completely changed.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Or I suppose the entire university could look at 2020 as another gap year. Give Randy the reigns, and spend the entire 2020 fall scouting the D2 and D3 head coaches looking for a proven Head Coach- one that is dynamic both on the field and with managing a staff. I don’t see anyone worth hiring coming here to this mess from FBS land or even from a top 20 FCS program. Anyone good in those places will wait for a better ticket. Randy would have to win five games in 2020 to keep him and even then I really wouldn’t want to give him an extension.

Reaction Score

So you want the AD to hire a guy that called him a schmuck? Yeah that’s not happening lol

Reaction Score
On schedule for those who have low expectations and see two or three wins as good progress. For sure it's better than last year, but both the offense and defense are still dreadful. Year 3 and they're still getting destroyed by anyone with a pulse.

C

Chief00

Here’s the guy Chief wanted instead of Randy. He also has a multi year rebuilding job but Moorhead won some games in the SEC. When he speaks, Joe mentions specific stuff - he speaks with passion, sounds like he actually has a plan and you sense light at the end of the tunnel to being competitive.

Reaction Score
And everyone else is getting better. A rebuilding ECU team with a first-year coach took the No. 25 team in the nation to the brink while on the road.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I said 3 years ago RE would have a 5 year plan that will get us to 6-6. I don't think he will even make that low bar.

Reaction Score
Here’s the guy Chief wanted instead of Randy. He also has a multi year rebuilding job but Moorhead won some games in the SEC. When he speaks, Joe mentions specific stuff - he speaks with passion, sounds like he actually has a plan and you sense light at the end of the tunnel to being competitive.

Would have been a good choice but it was too bad he wanted absolutely nothing to do w/ the job @ the time. Name was floated to media and subsequently swatted down by JM.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Benedict's comments lead me to believe Randy is coming back. Part of his plan to transition this thing fully to independent status. The lack of activity on this board after a game tells you most who watch, have stopped caring. Hard to ccare when all signs point to the leadership structure being okay with these results.

I would have watched it if I was home. But I confess I had only a groan when I saw the score. At this point, if they can scrape together a win against ECU that would be something.

Is there any chance that Steve K can play this year?

Reaction Score
Archaic HC ➕ fixed mindset ➕ FCS talent/recruiting ➕ Indy scheduling ➖ admin support ➕ ⬆ Academic/admissions standards = Randy’s Return

Personally, I’m tired of hearing about Randy’s 5-year plan when I see a guy like PJ Fleck getting MINNESOTA turned around quickly.

The game has passed Randy by and his (as well as the university’s) unwillingness to adapt have this program on the verge of college football’s doormats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom