So are we on schedule? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So are we on schedule?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Aren’t there any really good backup QB’s someplace that could start here instead of riding the bench?

Reaction Score
Aren’t there any really good backup QB’s someplace that could start here instead of riding the bench?
If UConn could convince him to come, Houston quarterback D'Eriq King may be available as a graduate student next season. Some other schools
are interested in him already. He could have immediate playing time at UConn.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I still scratch my head at the number of people committed to selling low.

Right now, we have nothing to offer any coach worth having. So, long as Edsall csn remain committed and not take up the PP/GDL retirement plan, I am confident that he knows how to get the program off the mat. By that, I mean not a laughingstock that merits consideration by recruits, fans, media, and potential coaches.

He gets one more year to show progress. Not giving it to him for some unknown and hitting reset yet again would doom the Program forever.

Reaction Score
If UConn could convince him to come, Houston quarterback D'Eriq King may be available as a graduate student next season. Some other schools
are interested in him already. He could have immediate playing time at UConn.
I would think he would want to play in a wide open 35-50, pass attempt offense or the opposite of what Randy likes to do.

Reaction Score
I still scratch my head at the number of people committed to selling low.

Right now, we have nothing to offer any coach worth having. So, long as Edsall csn remain committed and not take up the PP/GDL retirement plan, I am confident that he knows how to get the program off the mat. By that, I mean not a laughingstock that merits consideration by recruits, fans, media, and potential coaches.

He gets one more year to show progress. Not giving it to him for some unknown and hitting reset yet again would doom the Program forever.
While i don't think anything "dooms a program forever", i also think giving him another year is practical. The roster is starting to resemble an FBS squad. They were very bad in this regard when Edsall got here. The biggest issue i have he hasn't come close to identifying an answer at QB, and he struggled with this his 1st time around as well.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Last time Randy convinced a talented instate kid to stay named Danny O.... he has to find the same magic again.

Edsall’s entire career really swings in Danny O, without him it’s hard to see his coaching ever having the legs it has had.

I’m good either way on 2020. You keep him for one more year for value and overall continuity or throw our tiny budget at some exciting FCS or lower head coach. The only way AD David Benedict pulls the plug on Randy this December is if he senses Randy has lost his own personal confidence... which is possible given the results thus far.

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on who's schedule we are measuring. It is clear that folks like Whaler were right all along and years of recruiting RKGs (and QBs who turned out to be 1/2 decent TEs) put us in a hole so deep it'll take years to dig out from. We are starting to build a FBS roster and you can see glimmers of hope (Ill., Hou) sprinkled in with a seemingly unending series of frigging debacles. I know HCRE is not a short-cut kinda guy, but before the last fan walks out, he needs to take some. More grad transfers, more JCs, more time for kids to develop.

Reaction Score
Last time Randy convinced a talented instate kid to stay named Danny O.... he has to find the same magic again.

Edsall’s entire career really swings in Danny O, without him it’s hard to see his coaching ever having the legs it has had.

I’m good either way on 2020. You keep him for one more year for value and overall continuity or throw our tiny budget at some exciting FCS or lower head coach. The only way AD David Benedict pulls the plug on Randy this December is if he senses Randy has lost his own personal confidence... which is possible given the results thus far.
It is fair to say DanO was the only QB he recruited from HS that developed under him. The nexr closesr was probably Endres. For someone who has been a HC as long as he has that is a terrible track record. After DO, his next best QBs were Lorenzen a Juco, and Frazer a transfer. After that Pindell another Juco. You have to work hard to struggle that mightily with one position.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It is fair to say DanO was the only QB he recruited from HS that developed under him. The nexr closesr was probably Endres. For someone who has been a HC as long as he has that is a terrible track record. After DO, his next best QBs were Lorenzen a Juco, and Frazer a transfer. After that Pindell another Juco. You have to work hard to struggle that mightily with one position.

This complete lack of success identifying and developing HS QBs is probably well noted by our competitors on the recruiting trail to negatively recruit against us. Meanwhile it’s something the media and a large part of the UConn fan base has over looked.

Reaction Score
While i don't think anything "dooms a program forever", i also think giving him another year is practical. The roster is starting to resemble an FBS squad. They were very bad in this regard when Edsall got here. The biggest issue i have he hasn't come close to identifying an answer at QB, and he struggled with this his 1st time around as well.

honest question - how does this roster resemble an FBS squad? It is devoid of talent save for a few areas.

Reaction Score
This complete lack of success identifying and developing HS QBs is probably well noted by our competitors on the recruiting trail to negatively recruit against us. Meanwhile it’s something the media and a large part of the UConn fan base has over looked.

I think its more why would a QB come here when we run such a vanilla offense? Run a modern day offense and you might get a very good transfer qb. They want opportunity to play in an offense that will allow them to
Air it out.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think its more why would a QB come here when we run such a vanilla offense? Run a modern day offense and you might get a very good transfer qb. They want opportunity to play in an offense that will allow them to
Air it out.
Yeah- well you get multiple negative things to say to a prospective HS QB when recruiting against us.

To be fair though, we do throw the ball- we just don’t get completions or have WR route trees that generate a lot of YAC.

And how can we- we struggle mightily against the blitz and in OL pass defense.

Reaction Score
honest question - how does this roster resemble an FBS squad? It is devoid of talent save for a few areas.
Look at the dlinemen. Diaco never brought in kids like Jones, Ugwak, Pace, etc. None of these freshman and sophomores were allowed to redshirt due to necessity but none should have played so early either.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Look at the dlinemen. Diaco never brought in kids like Jones, Ugwak, Pace, etc. None of these freshman and sophomores were allowed to redshirt due to necessity but none should have played so early either.

UConn football “talent” trends by units
DL- trending up... but unfortunately not one young DL has shown flashes of anything +. Sorry, T Jones and others are well short of two deep material on most FBS rosters. Watts has the speed and size- need strength.. Kevon is a nice player. I think Harris should go back to LB.
LB - flat lining. Morgan is a good transfer. Mitchell has the speed- so something is there with him.... rest of the unit is not good enough
CB - small upward trend.... I like Paul who looks like a player at times. This unit is still far from being at least FBS average. I wish they will stop exposing Bell and let that kid develop on the practice field.
S - flat lining - JuCo Harrell was an upgrade over the current roster and his absence the last few games is noticeable. Coyle is an enigma - can’t tell what his talent level is with the mess around him. The rest aren’t nearly good enough.
OL - flat lining - the same C- unit that has been here for a while now. No one is improved at all. I think we are particularly bad up the center and easy to overwhelm.
WR- upward trend... Ross, Drayton, etc etc etc seem decent and nearing the FBS average squad
RB - flat lining - not one person can explain the over commitment to mensah by Edsall. Mensah by all accounts is a great kid and deserves a lot of touches - but there are other RBs and they need more than the last 2 mins of a blowout.
TE- flatlining or even down. No depth here... Edsall has not gotten the job done when you are in year three with a roster with one RS J TE, one senior TE conversion project and a undersized true Freshman.
QB - flat over the past eight years (ie low), down in the near term (2019 vs 2018) - As discussed above Edsall 1.0 only developed one HS QB to true success. Seems that is repeating itself. Randy should look in the mirror and rethink what his process is to identify and develop HS QBs. <--I edited this statement for clarity/correction.
Kickers - flat or down- my god why has the quest for kickers been such a challenge?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its just hard to expect 2 star, lightly recruited players to be impact players right away. Ideally they are not seeing the field until their redshirt sophomore years. Here they are hitting the field as true freshmen and we are asking why none are having significant impact in games.

Reaction Score
DL- trending up... but unfortunately not one young DL has shown flashes of anything +. Sorry, T Jones and others are well short of two deep material on any seven roster.
LB - flat lining. Morgan is a good transfer. Mitchell has the speed- so something is there with him.... rest of the unit is not good enough
CB - small upward trend.... I like Paul who looks like a player at times. This unit is still far from being at least FBS average. I wish they will stop exposing Bell and let that kid develop on the practice field.
S - flat lining - JuCo Harrell was an upgrade over the current roster and his absence the last few games is noticeable. Coyle is an enigma - can’t tell what his talent level is with the mess around him. The rest aren’t nearly good enough.
OL - flat lining - the same C- unit that has been here for a while now. No one is improved at all. I think we are particularly bad up the center and easy to overwhelm.
WR- upward trend... Ross, Drayton, etc etc etc seem decent and nearing the FBS average squad
RB - flat lining - not one person can explain the over commitment to mensah by Edsall. Mensah by all accounts is a great kid and deserves a lot of touches - but there are other RBs and they need more than the last 2 mins of a blowout.
TE- flatlining or even down. No depth here... Edsall has not gotten the job done when you are in year three with a roster with one RS J TE, one senior TE conversion project and a undersized true Freshman.
QB - flat - As discussed above Edsall 1.0 only developed one HS QB to true success. Seems that is repeating itself. Randy should look in the mirror and rethink what his process is to identify and develop HS QBs.
Kickers - flat or down- my god why has the quest for kickers been such a challenge?
You are pretty accurate in your analysis especially when it comes to the QB’s. RE has got to pick a QB1 at camp. He cannot wait until one week before the season starts because the team needs leadership and consistency. More importantly he needs to base his decision on talent and not a gut feeling or an it factor. That seems to be his problem from day one.

He also needs to find a qualified QB coach that will develop these guys to play at the next level. If Randy continues down this path you will never get a good quarterback to come here.

Reaction Score
DL- trending up... but unfortunately not one young DL has shown flashes of anything +. Sorry, T Jones and others are well short of two deep material on any seven roster.
QB - flat - As discussed above Edsall 1.0 only developed one HS QB to true success. Seems that is repeating itself. Randy should look in the mirror and rethink what his process is to identify and develop HS QBs.

Amen

I hear the roster, the roster, the roster - come on the guy has had a chance to recruit. Part of his and his staffs job is to SELL the program to kids and HS coaches. Good coaches aren't just good tacticians, but good recruiters. That will mean pulling in some surprise kids i just don’t think he’s doing that.

It is NOT an easy job, but he’s failing at doing it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are pretty accurate in your analysis especially when it comes to the QB’s. RE has got to pick a QB1 at camp. He cannot wait until one week before the season starts because the team needs leadership and consistency. More importantly he needs to base his decision on talent and not a gut feeling or an it factor. That seems to be his problem from day one.

He also needs to find a qualified QB coach that will develop these guys to play at the next level. If Randy continues down this path you will never get a good quarterback to come here.
Definitely agree that a real QB coach is important here

Reaction Score
He had plenty of talent to work with and if you all recall he managed to terrorize them into shivering blobs of indecision. Hesitant, inaccurate, happy feet. My view is he is so damn risk adverse it gets instilled and drilled into their heads. It takes an exceptionally mature and confident kid to not turn into a head-case under Captain Queeg .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Before the Indiana game Edsall told the broadcast crew we were ahead of schedule. True.

The culture is really something now. Edsall almost has it completely changed.
Edsall has always been full of it.

Reaction Score
What exactly is the schedule? The QB position, a FB team's most important one, is in worse shape than when Randy got here. As this year closes out and we head into year 4, we don't even know if we have anyone that can really play the position. Z misses way too many open guys. His footwork is an awful mess. Beaudry i doubt will be here next year and Krajewski got hurt the 1st time he got extensive run.

I've been big on bringing Randy back for a 4th year, but you need a magnifying glass to see any sort of tangible progress. He has been worse than wacky Bob.

I don’t believe this for a second. Zergiotis is where you’d think he’d be - shaky after showing gifted talent early on. Defenses have overwhelmed him & he’s rattled. If he’s a value, he will come back in 2020 strong. Krajewski showed great potential. Injuries happen. And Senecal ... I’ve watched his film recently is truly talented. Beaudry is a miss. Big kid that is just utilitarian.

you think this is better with a Bryant Shireffs that we got lucky on & flotsam?

Pindell, I’ll remind you, looked extraordinarily unproductive early in his first games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who can possibly stomach a 5 year plans to get to .500?
This guy.

If you are telling me we'll be bowl eligible (although won't get one as an independent) in year 5. Sign me up now. That's a world away from our current sheet show and puts us in a position to hire a decent coach to build the program. In all honesty if that's all REv2 achieves here, he deserves our enthusiastic thanks.

Reaction Score
Air it out.
Every now and then even a blind squirrel finds a nut. This is exactly right. Kids want to play where they can run a high octane offense not had off inside over and over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom