SMU to Face Postseason Ban | Page 5 | The Boneyard

SMU to Face Postseason Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What do you think the penalty for UNC will be?

Hard to say.

The Syracuse and SMU cases were pretty focused. The infractions were easy to identify and deal with and despite the showy protests and delay tactics, neither school really disputed what they did. They both got what they were going to get, although SMU's past and Brown's initial dishonesty came at a cost.

The North Carolina case is much bigger, but also less specific - it's not a particular program or a coach that's gone off the rails, it's the university.

A lack of institutional control is a given, I think, but there's nothing in the past that you can use to make a guess on what will happen in terms of penalties.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you really want to lower the boom on SMU...ban them from the 2017 tournament. That would curtail recruiting for an entire year and likely take them through Brown's tenure. Want to lower the boom on Brown? Ban him from college basketball. Instead, Brown will serve his nine game suspension and everything will be back to business as usual - assuming he's still coaching - when this all passes.

SMU is done. Larry's 75 and his next two classes are already DOA.

Read the restrictions placed on their recruiting next year...

SMU loses three rides a year for three years. (They can take credit for being two short this year.) SMU cannot contact recruits at all next spring. Recruits cannot visit SMU, officially or unofficially, for more than three months next summer. Again, they cannot recruit during the spring contact periods and they cannot host kids for unofficial all throughout June, July and August.

In addition, they have only two officials for the entire year and they lose 20 days of off-campus recruiting.

They need eight or nine players in the next two classes, but they can only take maybe five. The recruiting restrictions probably make that an impossibility and they won't be able to bring in anything but scrapple-level talent. They are done.

Reaction Score
SMU is done. Larry's 75 and his next two classes are already DOA.

Read the restrictions placed on their recruiting next year...

SMU loses three rides a year for three years. (They can take credit for being two short this year.) SMU cannot contact recruits at all next spring. Recruits cannot visit SMU, officially or unofficially, for more than three months next summer. Again, they cannot recruit during the spring contact periods and they cannot host kids for unofficial all throughout June, July and August.

In addition, they have only two officials for the entire year and they lose 20 days of off-campus recruiting.

They need eight or nine players in the next two classes, but they can only take maybe five. The recruiting restrictions probably make that an impossibility and they won't be able to bring in anything but scrapple-level talent. They are done.

Can't disagree with any of that. I stand by my initial point, though.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm unclear. As it stands are the penalties to SMU and Syracuse the same or different? If different who is getting the harsher treatment?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That goal tending call has got to be even more painful now.

Yep.

All the fraud, the cheating, the lying, to get to the promised land...a first-round loss to a bad UCLA team. That's it, that's what they got.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm unclear. As it stands are the penalties to SMU and Syracuse the same or different? If different who is getting the harsher treatment?

Similar in that they both lost a postseason and both coaches get a nine-game vacation.

Syracuse's issues were more pervasive and worse on the whole - they're losing 12 scholarships over four years, handing back 108 wins and three years worth of NCAA tourney credits, losing two of four off-campus recruiters for a couple of years and bring stuck on probation until 2020.

SMU's recruiting gets clubbed next year. They lose nine scholarships over three years, Brown gets a show-cause, and they're on probation for three years.

SMU's violations were relatively narrow in scope compared to Syracuse - it really was that one particular incident of a support staffer doing high school course work for a player. They would have received a much lighter sentence than Syracuse if not for several factors working against them:

1) Their violations came after the implementation of the harsher guidelines put in place in 2012. SU and UNC did and will benefit from having sinned prior to 2012.
2) Brown failed to report the violation when he learned of it and then he initially lied. (He claims that he never lied, but the report flat quotes him as saying, "I don't know why I lied..."
3) It's SMU. They have the worst compliance record in the history of the NCAA. The hoop program was already on probation going into all this.

Ultimately, the penalties will be devastating for SMU while they're just damaging to Syracuse, but that's more a function of where the programs started out.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
UNC just grabbed a top recruit this week. They have no fear of any ban?

Reaction Score
What do you think the penalty for UNC will be?

The last news from UNC that they found additional violations within UNC's socer and women's basketball team, i.e. cannon fodder, and thus need to delay their response. to the spring of 2016, which coincidentally will be after the 2015/6 basketball season concludes. Thus, the NCAA will not be saying a thing until after UNC has the opportunity to win another NCAA title and for Roy Williams to retire on top. UNC will then be banned for the 2016/7 postseason while being stripped of wins from 2003 through 2016; but, somehow will find that no violations took place in 2005, 2009, and maybe 2016, which is when UNC won its titles.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No objection to what was handed out. Just can't take the Dickie V sanctimony of ignoring NC and pity party for JB (Hail to the ACC). Trying to make JB look good by comparing him to someone who was guilty of lying is really kind of low in IMHO.

Reaction Score

Its only a verbal commitment to this point. If the penalties come down before he signs he can back out at any time.

If the penalties come after he signs, the NCAA might allow him to void his LOI and go elsewhere. Not 100% sure if there is precedent for this but I think that could be the case considering the circumstances

Reaction Score
The last news from UNC that they found additional violations within UNC's socer and women's basketball team, i.e. cannon fodder, and thus need to delay their response. to the spring of 2016, which coincidentally will be after the 2015/6 basketball season concludes. Thus, the NCAA will not be saying a thing until after UNC has the opportunity to win another NCAA title and for Roy Williams to retire on top. UNC will then be banned for the 2016/7 postseason while being stripped of wins from 2003 through 2016; but, somehow will find that no violations took place in 2005, 2009, and maybe 2016, which is when UNC won its titles.
This is depressing.

Reaction Score
We have already known Roy is telling all his recruits that the bball team won't be affected.

If that doesn't turn out to be true (and if there is any justice left in the world, it won't) I'd expect some de-commitments.

I wonder how confident UNC fans are feeling about the verbals they have received thus far.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
One of the continuing indignities of conference realignment is that UConn fans feels obligated to rationalize SMU's cheating because now we are stuck in a conference with them.

Reaction Score
One of the continuing indignities of conference realignment is that UConn fans feels obligated to rationalize SMU's cheating because now we are stuck in a conference with them.

I think the more level headed response is not to rationalize the cheating, but to be annoyed that this has to happen in a year where the league has a legitimate chance to get a respectable number of NCAA bids.

Reaction Score
I am still at a loss as to why SMU did not appeal the penalty handed down by the NCAA and try to save their post season

Reaction Score
I am still at a loss as to why SMU did not appeal the penalty handed down by the NCAA and try to save their post season

Because they'd rather sacrifice the current players than sacrifice recruiting for the future. Look how much a delayed penalty crippled us compared to the non-effect of a same-season penalty.

Reaction Score
Dickie V might be right about this but I'm surprised he was able to write this article while Roy, Mike K. and Cal. I guess he was probably dictating.[/QUOTE]
I guess Calipari still has one strike in Vitales book. Wrecking only too programs gives you a reprieve.
He just might be the biggest hypocrite of all. As he fawns over the likes UNC,
defending, Syracuse problem which go back 15 years under the same coach is beyond belief.
Vitale is a shill and his departure from the scene is long overdue.

Reaction Score
Because they'd rather sacrifice the current players than sacrifice recruiting for the future. Look how much a delayed penalty crippled us compared to the non-effect of a same-season penalty.
This is SMU's year, they 3 of their 4 best players are seniors, they need to go all in this year. Delaying the penalty for their best and maybe only shot at a FF would be worth the 1 year affect on recruiting.

I understand what you are saying but they needed to go all in this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom