SMU to Face Postseason Ban | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SMU to Face Postseason Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I wonder if Nic Moore got on his knees and did the gun motion with his hands toward this year's post season.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I agree with the penalty, but saying the NCAA did this is completely wrong. SMU was clearly at fault and this was no minor infraction.
And no one outside of North Carolina will agree with this until UNC gets the hammer thrown at them, which seems like wishful thinking at this point.

Reaction Score
I wonder what would happen if they did a Miami and threaten to target the NCAA for unfairness in treatment. The comparison with Syracuse is a valid starting point.

They would have to be able to prove there was some sort of manufactured evidence or something unethical in the investigation in order to be able to try and go that route I think.

Reaction Score
This might be an unpopular opinion but Larry Brown's biggest mistake was not cheating but getting caught. With the playing field as tilted as it is...I don't really care if these guys were cheating. I have pretty much resigned myself to the thinking that college basketball and college football are filthy, and trying to qualify the extent to which a program cheated by reviewing the NCAA's findings is mostly a fool's errand in my opinion.

This is the third time for Brown so do what you have to do to make an example of him...but I'm not going to pretend that my opinion of him has changed because of it. I care about what players you get and what you do with them - in that regard, Brown has proved his worth as a Hall of Famer.

Reaction Score
Chad Forde wrote an article saying that SMU should be kicked out of the NCAA. Talk about a hot take.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
walker11 said:
Chad Forde wrote an article saying that SMU should be kicked out of the NCAA. Talk about a hot take.
Has Chad forde ever not given a hot take though?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Who didn't see something like this coming the minute SMU hired Larry Brown?

Absolutely.

A serially dishonest coach meets with the single most degenerate athletic department...everyone involved was running with scissors here.

Reaction Score
This might be an unpopular opinion but Larry Brown's biggest mistake was not cheating but getting caught. With the playing field as tilted as it is...I don't really care if these guys were cheating. I have pretty much resigned myself to the thinking that college basketball and college football are filthy, and trying to qualify the extent to which a program cheated by reviewing the NCAA's findings is mostly a fool's errand in my opinion.

This is the third time for Brown so do what you have to do to make an example of him...but I'm not going to pretend that my opinion of him has changed because of it. I care about what players you get and what you do with them - in that regard, Brown has proved his worth as a Hall of Famer.

http://ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79231&sid=fa53b6eaf4288d089fa59250e755f240

"While we accept responsibility for violations, the individuals responsible for the infractions have been held accountable both by the University and by the Committee on Infractions. To punish the student-athletes in the men’s basketball by prohibiting a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to compete in the postseason is simply wrong. It is not what our system of governance should be about and we are considering our response."

Some interesting info and discussion...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have an issue with the timing and not the penalty. These kids should have gotten an opportunity to transfer. I wouldn't even argue for immediate eligibility, Roscoe didn't get that, but this is not fair.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
BUT................ he's a HoF coach with a 51% winning percentage in 20 plus years in the NBA with 1 divisional title and 1 championship
Not to mention the cluster fs he left at UNC and Kansas
SMU has always been slimy and to add this putz seems to be par for the course

A 80% of those who have commented - when is the hammer going to fall on UNC??????????????

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
BUT...... he's a HoF coach with a 51% winning percentage in 20 plus years in the NBA with 1 divisional title and 1 championship

A 80% of those who have commented - when is the hammer going to fall on UNC??????????????
The question of when will the hammer be dropped on UNC is all this punishment of SMU has really done.

Reaction Score
So this investigation was pretty quick, why did it take the Ncaa so long to investigate Cuse and now UNC? use even notified them 8 years ago that they were cheating.

Reaction Score
BUT...... he's a HoF coach with a 51% winning percentage in 20 plus years in the NBA with 1 divisional title and 1 championship

He was an assistant briefly at UNC. Brown played under DS @ UNC. You must be referring to UCLA. The Kansas sanctions if memory isn't failing me (def could be lol) revolved around a player making an official visit to Kansas with transfer intentions. I don't think the player ever transferred to Kansas but he was given cash on his visit to go see his ailing grandmother.

Reaction Score
He was an assistant briefly at UNC. Brown played under DS @ UNC. You must be referring to UCLA. The Kansas sanctions if memory isn't failing me (def could be lol) revolved around a player making an official visit to Kansas with transfer intentions. I don't think the player ever transferred to Kansas but he was given cash on his visit to go see his ailing grandmother.
There is no doubt KU is dirty

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is very scary. The NCAA is sending a message to high profile coaches that go to non-P5 schools. UNC and Syracuse cheated continuously over decades with impunity. 9 scholarship loss and a 9 game suspension for a 70-something year old coach will make recruiting impossible and effectively destroy the program.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is very scary. The NCAA is sending a message to high profile coaches that go to non-P5 schools. UNC and Syracuse cheated continuously over decades with impunity. 9 scholarship loss and a 9 game suspension for a 70-something year old coach will make recruiting impossible and effectively destroy the program.

There was no program before he got there and there wasn't going to be one when he left.

This is not a message to the G5; this is a message to a program dealing with violations for the third time in about a decade. And SMU was very lucky.

They were extremely fortunate that the NCAA did not accept the infraction staff's contention that SMU violated their probation from a prior case and that that they cleared SMU of a lack of institutional control. Had the NCAA rubber-stamped the infraction staff's allegations, this would be a much, much darker day for SMU.

Reaction Score
There was no program before he got there and there wasn't going to be one when he left.

This is not a message to the G5; this is a message to a program dealing with violations for the third time in about a decade. And SMU was very lucky.

They were extremely fortunate that the NCAA did not accept the infraction staff's contention that SMU violated their probation from a prior case and that that they cleared SMU of a lack of institutional control. Had the NCAA rubber-stamped the infraction staff's allegations, this would be a much, much darker day for SMU.
What do you think the penalty for UNC will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom