SMU to Face Postseason Ban | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SMU to Face Postseason Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't imagine it helped, but let us not forget that Jim Boeheim has a pretty checkered past with NCAA compliance, and they got off pretty lightly. I've been arguing against it, but the evidence of P5 favoritism is getting pretty clear.
Yeah, I've been saying for a while now that Syracuse's penalties were much harsher than people were making them out to be, but these SMU penalties are a little extreme. I wasn't really paying any attention the entire process, but I wasn't expecting a post-season ban.

Silver lining is that this makes the AAC tournament a little easier for us.

Reaction Score
Didnt Syracuse start landing recruits after being banned? Maybe they'll follow that trend? Glass half full?

Nobody Syracuse was recruiting would have been subject to the ban, since it was for the current season.

Reaction Score
Nobody Syracuse was recruiting would have been subject to the ban, since it was for the current season.
Ah, i see what you are saying. its not like they would have to spend a season on a team that wasnt going to compete in the tounament, so doesnt matter to the recruits. Dont they have scholarship restrictions for years though that will have an affect?

Reaction Score
Announcing this a month before the season starts? Ouch.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Roy-Williams.jpg

Reaction Score
They got the same exact punishment that Syracuse did. only Syracuse was doling out $$ and not only messing with eligibility. AND, Syracuse's postseason penalty was a joke.

If it's true that SMU is being hammered for illegally making one player eligible, versus the decade+ of many many many underhanded acts at Syracuse, AND SMU receives a harsher punishment (in terms of postseason play) then this is a perfect example of NCAA favoritism and imbalance.

The only factor otherwise is that Larry Brown is a 3-time offender--so schools should watch out hiring these types.

Might be time for leagues like ours to make a stink. Problem is you want the schools to be treated fairly by you're stuck "defending" the wrong kinda guy.

Reaction Score
Interesting scenario here...

Seth Greenberg‏@SethOnHoops
Scenario. SMU seniors Moore Tolbert and Kennedy withdraw and enroll in an institution that is on quarters and had yet to begin classes

Bang! Damage the team and the league by implementing a post season ban. Coach takes a few weeks off. Great job by the NCAA.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Syracuse got the same penalty for covering up over a decade of cheating. UNC hasn't even been penalized yet (and probably won't be) for violations far worse than Syracuse or SMU. I'd say that if SMU wants to appeal this to somebody and point at the extreme double standard of the NCAA, they'd have some sort of an argument.

Reaction Score
Syracuse got the same penalty for covering up over a decade of cheating. UNC hasn't even been penalized yet (and probably won't be) for violations far worse than Syracuse or SMU. I'd say that if SMU wants to appeal this to somebody and point at the extreme double standard of the NCAA, they'd have some sort of an argument.

Syracuse's ban was far less impactful since they knew they were unlikely to make the field when the ban was imposed. SMU was not planning on missing the tournament this year.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Syracuse's ban was far less impactful since they knew they were unlikely to make the field when the ban was imposed. SMU was not planning on missing the tournament this year.

Exactly. It would be like our football team choosing 2014 to self-impose a postseason ban on itself after week 10 of the season. Absolutely ridiculous.

Reaction Score
A former assistant men’s basketball coach encouraged a student-athlete to enroll in an online course to meet NCAA initial eligibility standards and be admitted to the university. After he enrolled in the course, a former men’s basketball administrative assistant obtained the student’s username and password then completed all of his coursework. The student-athlete received fraudulent credit for the course and, as a result, competed while ineligible during his freshman season. When speaking with NCAA enforcement staff, the student-athlete admitted that the former administrative assistant asked him to provide false information during the interview. In its decision, the panel noted it is very troubled that academic advising was administered by athletics staff.

The former administrative assistant violated NCAA’s ethical conduct rules when she provided false information during her interviews and attempted to influence a student-athlete to provide false information during his interview. The administrative assistant initially cooperated with the investigation, but later ended the second interview early, refused to provide documentation and denied additional interview requests.

While the university noted the head basketball coach received rules education, the panel noted it did not see a record of steps the he took to establish and ensure a culture of compliance within his program. Although the head basketball coach did not have direct knowledge or involvement in the misconduct, he did not follow up on the completion of coursework. Upon learning of the misconduct in 2014, the head basketball coach did not report it to the compliance staff, conference office or enforcement staff for more than a month. When asked by the NCAA enforcement staff about the potential violations, the head basketball coach initially denied having any information about the conversations with the former administrative assistant and student-athlete.

The head basketball coach failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance within his program. He failed to report the violations when the former administrative assistant committed academic fraud on behalf of the student-athlete and he initially lied to enforcement staff about his knowledge of the potential violations.

http://www.ncaa.org/smu-commits-men-s-basketball-and-golf-violations

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Is anyone seriously surprised by this?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LOL, how is the UNC scandal being swept under while this is so similar? Where's the ban on Roy? Such BS
UNC is far worse.

If I am SMU, I follow the UNC playbook by announcing that the problem was more severe than the NCAA discovered and accordingly any sanction would be premature. I would expect the preliminary results of that investigation to be released in May.

Does it bother than anyone else that UConn following the rules but having struggling kids transfer resulted in a one year sanction, but other schools who got caught trying to cheat get.... a one year ban? WTF?

I hate -king NCAA and their blatant bias for some programs.

Reaction Score
UNC is far worse.

If I am SMU, I follow the UNC playbook by announcing that the problem was more severe than the NCAA discovered and accordingly any sanction would be premature. I would expect the preliminary results of that investigation to be released in May.

Does it bother than anyone else that UConn following the rules but having struggling kids transfer resulted in a one year sanction, but other schools who got caught trying to cheat get.... a one year ban? WTF?

I hate -king NCAA and their blatant bias for some programs.

Its completely enraging, and the braindead fans of other teams have the nerve to consider UConn a 'tarnished' program for those penalties... its insanity

Dooley

Reaction Score
There are still morons out there that think UConn is a bad academic school because of that stupid APR ban. You know, the same silly APR metric that Oklahoma St football successfully manipulated by re-enrolling a player from the fracking 90s to meet the absolute bare minimum score (and avoid an APR ban).

Mark Emmert is slime.

Reaction Score
Is this player Keith Frazier?

A former assistant men’s basketball coach encouraged a student-athlete to enroll in an online course to meet NCAA initial eligibility standards and be admitted to the university. After he enrolled in the course, a former men’s basketball administrative assistant obtained the student’s username and password then completed all of his coursework. The student-athlete received fraudulent credit for the course and, as a result, competed while ineligible during his freshman season. When speaking with NCAA enforcement staff, the student-athlete admitted that the former administrative assistant asked him to provide false information during the interview. In its decision, the panel noted it is very troubled that academic advising was administered by athletics staff.

The former administrative assistant violated NCAA’s ethical conduct rules when she provided false information during her interviews and attempted to influence a student-athlete to provide false information during his interview. The administrative assistant initially cooperated with the investigation, but later ended the second interview early, refused to provide documentation and denied additional interview requests.

While the university noted the head basketball coach received rules education, the panel noted it did not see a record of steps the he took to establish and ensure a culture of compliance within his program. Although the head basketball coach did not have direct knowledge or involvement in the misconduct, he did not follow up on the completion of coursework. Upon learning of the misconduct in 2014, the head basketball coach did not report it to the compliance staff, conference office or enforcement staff for more than a month. When asked by the NCAA enforcement staff about the potential violations, the head basketball coach initially denied having any information about the conversations with the former administrative assistant and student-athlete.

The head basketball coach failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance within his program. He failed to report the violations when the former administrative assistant committed academic fraud on behalf of the student-athlete and he initially lied to enforcement staff about his knowledge of the potential violations.

http://www.ncaa.org/smu-commits-men-s-basketball-and-golf-violations

Reaction Score
UNC had 20 years of courses with a very high percentage of athletes in them strictly to keep and remain eligible for play. Yes other students could get in them, but they were created for the express purpose. They were paper only courses where the papers were written for them. How is it possible with an academic advisor for Roy not to know what his players are taking or what their academic risk is for eligibility? The only answer is that he purposely asked not to be in that loop. Does KO know what's going on academically with his 10 best players? Of course. He knows their major and what they take, and how they are doing GPA wise semester to semester from meeting with the academic advisor OFTEN. I hear Roy will be spared , and the women's team will be hit harder. Shouldn't their decision be at any time?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I think so, and the former coach is Ulric Maligi.

"The penalties stem from an NCAA investigation into whether former SMU assistant Ulric Maligi and a former basketball administrator helped ex-McDonald's All-American Keith Frazier with the coursework he needed to become eligible to play for the Mustangs.

The NCAA found that an SMU assistant encouraged Frazier to enroll in an online course necessary for him to meet initial eligibility standards to be admitted to the university. Then the administrative assistant obtained Frazier's username and password and completed his coursework, enabling him to play for the Mustangs as a freshman during the 2013-14 season."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...brown--ban-smu-from-postseason-143123704.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom