SMU Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SMU Game Thread

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
SMU's length bothered UConn today. Won't get any better Monday
I disagree - it was SMU's speed in the first half that was problematic.

Some of the shots in the paint in the second half are head scratchers. Gabby and Napheesa were double teamed and still tried to put up the shot when a teammate was wide open. It wasn't SMU's length as much as it was ill-advised shots.

Reaction Score
upload_2017-2-11_15-29-2.png

upload_2017-2-11_15-29-57.png

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Baskets in the Paint after 3

SMU 6 (3-2-1)
UConn 15 (6-5-4)

Reaction Score
Am I crazy or did SMU get the possession arrow on two tie ups in a row near the end of the 3rd? Rewound it too and double checked.

Reaction Score
Nat looking real slender these days.
Noticed that, too. Natalie is a little frustrating at times, because we are all hoping for more both for and from her. But no arguing with the effort she's made in her conditioning.

Saniya always seems more offensively aggressive (shoots more) when she's playing with the benchers. Certainly, it's because she needs to carry the group, but it also gives her the "practice" she needs when she otherwise is more deferential in shot selection when she's in with the first team.

Reaction Score
I disagree - it was SMU's speed in the first half. Some of the shots in the paint in the second half are head scratchers. Gabby and Napheesa were double teamed and still tried to put up the shot when a teammate was wide open. It wasn't SMU's length as much as it was ill-advised shots.

Collier and Williams both got rejected late in the 3rd.

We're going to have to hit outside shots to beat SC. Today's performance, with the exception of Lou and Chong, isn't going to cut it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I disagree - it was SMU's speed in the first half. Some of the shots in the paint in the second half are head scratchers. Gabby and Napheesa were double teamed and still tried to put up the shot when a teammate was wide open. It wasn't SMU's length as much as it was I'll advised shots.
But look how many shots Collier and Gabby had blocked today. Today they looked ill advised, but on any other day these were normal shots that they've been taking during conference play. Also Pheesa and Gabby often had to change the trajectory on their shots.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Collier and Williams both got rejected late in the 3rd.

We're going to have to hit outside shots to beat SC. Today's performance, with the exception of Lou and Chong, isn't going to cut it.

Why on earth would you think our focus and sharpness (Or lack of) would be the same for SC as it is for SMU? UCONN prides itself on consistency but don't fool yourself. The girls know all too well the magnitude of the game and the opponent they're playing. They are human.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Man we have a lot of negative energy here today. Something in the air?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I disagree - it was SMU's speed in the first half that was problematic.

Some of the shots in the paint in the second half are head scratchers. Gabby and Napheesa were double teamed and still tried to put up the shot when a teammate was wide open. It wasn't SMU's length as much as it was ill-advised shots.
Also to me it wasn't so much SMU's speed but their physicality that surprised UConn early.

JordyG

Reaction Score
UConn's effort has been their since the middle of the 1st.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I like the pink whistles used by the refs.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But look how many shots Collier and Gabby had blocked today. Today they looked ill advised, but on any other day these were normal shots that they've been taking during conference play. Also Pheesa and Gabby often had to change the trajectory on their shots.
I'm still not buying the SMU length thing. If Gabby or Napheesa got blocked, the next time they were being double teamed they should have passed to an open teammate. The blocks ere the results of poor decisions.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm still not buying the SMU length thing. If Gabby or Napheesa got blocked, the next time they were being double teamed they should have passed to an open teammate.
Again, these were the same shots they've been taking and making since the conference sched began. Except today they were being blocked and/or the forwards were altering their trajectories.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't know about that last foul on Nat. Looked OK to me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I said on another thread that SMU, with their size, is the perfect tuneup game for SC. When you don't play against big teams, you get a false sense of security.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Everyone in the country Dawn? Maybe not quite. Another nice pass by Molly from under the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom