Skylar's attitude: do we need some of it to win it all? | The Boneyard

Skylar's attitude: do we need some of it to win it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reading the NYT in Nan's link: I'm struck, both with dislike and envy, by the enormous confidence/swagger/egotism Skylar possesses.

"When the Irish won at Tennessee later that month, on the night that a banner was hung in honor of the Hall of Fame coach Pat Summitt, Diggins said she 'wanted to rain on that parade.'"

It sounds almost Taurasi-esque (or Serena Williams, with whom I am more familiar). While I love UConn's top players because of their gracious, elegant team-first humility exemplified by The Invincible Queen, I wonder if we would have lost some of these close games if we had a player or two with such attitudes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/s...er-championship-run.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As a team we need to pound it in the middle and be patient when doing it. By pounding it in the middle it will kill NDs cockiness. They cant stop it without eventually fouling. We have to many big post players. You wanna rid ND of their attitude pound it down low all nite.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good point Tony, but I think the OP is referring to the moxie that Skylar has. Diana had it - opposing fans loved to hate her - and her supreme confidence was absorbed by the rest of the teams she led. Diana was in your face. Maya, OTOH, did not have the edgy swagger, but she led with a huge work ethic and a passion/intensity that is matched by few.

I think Faris and KML lead more like Maya did. I'm not sure we have anyone on the team who has DT's or Skylar's edge. But i'm not sure we've had anyone even close to that since DT...

Reaction Score
As a team we need to pound it in the middle and be patient when doing it. By pounding it in the middle it will kill NDs cockiness. They cant stop it without eventually fouling. We have to many big post players. You wanna rid ND of their attitude pound it down low all nite.

Easier said then done when the UConn offense is seemingly designed to and the players are so content with shooting 3's.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I'd like to see our focus be on making this game about Stef vs. Ochonwa. Kaleena and Bria can match Diggins and McBride offensively, but Ochonwa has great instincts and is often allowed to collect way too many garbage points. I'd like to see us go BIG a lot tonight with Kiah and Breanna owning the glass.

Reaction Score
I am not sure how much of it is swager and how much is just Skylar seeking her mind. I don’t hate her (Besides for being on the other team,) and think she is a bit like any of the greats we have had (Sue, DT, ETC). I wish her well in the wnba, just can’t wait to get her away from us. (and hopefully the storm dont have to deal with her to often )

Faris may have some of that attitude. Just plain wants to win. I think with her it is more she does not talk much. I think if she was more vocal we would see the same stick it to the other tem attitude.

Reaction Score
Players like Dee had attitude and we may need some attitude to win. But we don't need the look at me arragance like Diggs to win.

Reaction Score
I do not know if I would agree with this being "Taurasi-esque". DT said she wanted to hit something orange. But to sit there and say you wanted to rain on the parade when they were dedicating a banner to Pat Summitt is just rude, and I am not a Pat Summitt fan. By no means should they have intentionally lost the game in order to make the day better for Tennessee, but to make that comment is just classless. To say, "We played Notre Dame Basketball" or "It is great that they celebrated Pat Summitt, but we had a game to play".... etc. But to say what she said is rude.

Reading the NYT in Nan's link: I'm struck, both with dislike and envy, by the enormous confidence/swagger/egotism Skylar possesses.

"When the Irish won at Tennessee later that month, on the night that a banner was hung in honor of the Hall of Fame coach Pat Summitt, Diggins said she 'wanted to rain on that parade.'"

It sounds almost Taurasi-esque (or Serena Williams, with whom I am more familiar). While I love UConn's top players because of their gracious, elegant team-first humility exemplified by The Invincible Queen, I wonder if we would have lost some of these close games if we had a player or two with such attitudes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/s...er-championship-run.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Reaction Score
Diggins reminds me a great deal of Swin Cash. You could read the emotions on Cash's face... you could tell when she was upset or did not agree with a call. You could see when wanted a call. Both Diggins and Cash were great at acting out.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Easier said then done when the UConn offense is seemingly designed to and the players are so content with shooting 3's.

Sorry, Stray, but that is just not true. They shoot a little more than 1/3 of their shots as 3's. And when that is a strength of the team, why not shoot them?

Reaction Score
I like icebear's distinction. I don't think Skylar has moxie but definitely attitude.

Perhaps, that's also the difference between DT and Skylar: DT has moxie and Skylar attitude?

Either way, I do think having a bit of moxie/attitude could be useful. UConn is so used to winning big and being superior talent-wise to other teams, that I think when other teams stay close to them, especially gritty rivals like ND, the moxie/attitude could be important.

Our losses to this year were to teams with point guards with attitudes. And even Griner became, shall we say, spirited around the time of the technical and played much better.

Frankly, I would love it if Faris, Dolson, and/or KLM were slightly less "gracious" during the games and responded like DT at Tennessee for example. Even if I know that I should want them to win with unadulterated class and elegance, and simply allowing their talents to do the speaking.

Attitude yes, moxie no.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Stray, but that is just not true. They shoot a little more than 1/3 of their shots as 3's. And when that is a strength of the team, why not shoot them?

Ok Geno, er DD -- go ahead and defend a "passive" offense (at times). To be accurate, 37% of the Huskies shot attempts are 3's --up 4% over last season. I opined early that this was an intentional strategy designed to defeat Baylor (shoot over Griner as opposed to taking it to her). It failed in the first attempt but showed that it could work if a high 3 % could be sustained. However, the opponent tonight is a different bird. My message was in reply to TonyC's suggestion that UConn pound it inside in an attempt to get ND in foul trouble. Given ND's lack of depth in the middle, Wright and Braker basically provide little offense compared to Anchowa, I think this is a sound strategy for defeating ND. Heck, even the LV's were able to stay within 10 pts of ND thanks in large part to Anchonwa sitting most of the game on the bench with foul trouble.

Yes, you want to play to your strength, but you also want to attack the opponents weakness(es). ND's weakness is depth in the middle -- Syracuse did a nice job of exposing this the other night (in the first half).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ok Geno, er DD -- go ahead and defend a "passive" offense (at times). To be accurate, 37% of the Huskies shot attempts are 3's --up 4% over last season. I opined early that this was an intentional strategy designed to defeat Baylor (shoot over Griner as opposed to taking it to her). It failed in the first attempt but showed that it could work if a high 3 % could be sustained. However, the opponent tonight is a different bird. My message was in reply to TonyC's suggestion that UConn pound it inside in an attempt to get ND in foul trouble. Given ND's lack of depth in the middle, Wright and Braker basically provide little offense compared to Anchowa, I think this is a sound strategy for defeating ND. Heck, even the LV's were able to stay within 10 pts of ND thanks in large part to Anchonwa sitting most of the game on the bench with foul trouble.

Yes, you want to play to your strength, but you also want to attack the opponents weakness(es). ND's weakness is depth in the middle -- Syracuse did a nice job of exposing this the other night (in the first half).

I agree with almost everything you said. Pound the middle is a great strategy. I just don't see the pacifity of the offense as much as others.

And thanks for the compliment. I would be happy to have my basketball knowledge linked with Geno, although I know about 1 tenth of what he knows. Maybe less.

Reaction Score
And thanks for the compliment. I would be happy to have my basketball knowledge linked with Geno, although I know about 1 tenth of what he knows. Maybe less.

LOL...I think your avatar has more in common (i.e. height) with Geno than your knowledge! ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think it does require a little attitude. Diggins has it, as does Sims. And it is very helpful for that "moxie" to start with your PG as it permeates the rest of the team. When your PG really gets after it the rest of the team often follows.

Reaction Score
Good point Tony, but I think the OP is referring to the moxie that Skylar has. Diana had it - opposing fans loved to hate her - and her supreme confidence was absorbed by the rest of the teams she led. Diana was in your face. Maya, OTOH, did not have the edgy swagger, but she led with a huge work ethic and a passion/intensity that is matched by few.

I think Faris and KML lead more like Maya did. I'm not sure we have anyone on the team who has DT's or Skylar's edge. But i'm not sure we've had anyone even close to that since DT...
The RU band always yells "Hey (fill- in the blank team name). This is our house." when the opposing team takes the floor at the Rac. In the many years I have been going to the games, Diana is the only player they have ever used her name in the cheer instead of the team name. I think having a player with swagger (that can back it up with their play) is a real asset to their team. Skylar definitely has that and her teammates feed off it.

Reaction Score
UConn is facing a worthy team with a worthy star. What exactly is wrong with playing with attitude if it takes one to their peak performance on the big stage? Is one suposed to go into thompson-Bolling Arena with less than their normal competirive edge because it is a special day for a legendary coach? Let's give the young lady her due. We all remember the pounding, huniliation, and the embarassments she suffered in her freshman year. To her credit, she learned and got better.

Maybe drawing the ire of opposing fans is not a bad thing after all. It shows that people notice. And, possibly, even respect her.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I can't stand Skylar.. There's a difference between confidence and down right rudeness. She's a rude, cocky, classless woman who has no rings to show for it

Sounds like what folks say about Diana. Except for the ring part.

Sounds like what folks say about UConn fans. Except for the ring part.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They are not mentally tough enough. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom